Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I did get salty about this fake spoiler because I hated the design

The design of the real deal, meanwhile, is :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My only time seeing Sheoldred is in brawl and hbrawl where I proceed to style all over them because it's a shite commander...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

precision posted:

remember when people were seriously saying that Sheoldred would get banned lmao

I remember when people were saying that Sheoldred wouldn't be very good (they were wrong), but I haven't seen anyone claim it would be banned - it's very good, but far from format warping (unless the assertion was "mono-B has too much good stuff and needs to be dealt with.")

Most of the recent bans have been when one or a few cards are utterly format warping (Oko, Fires/Agent) or just too difficult to interact with before they go off (FotD). Sheoldred doesn't come close to hitting either of those marks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Main thing with Sheoldred seems to be it was fairly underrated by a lot of commentators on the grounds of not having any immediate value or protections, which is fair enough as a heuristic but did overlook it sort of does get a little value if played into no untapped lands and they can't interact before drawing. Plus Kalitas does just fine.

I kind of expect the meta to shift against her at some point, but then again I've been expecting it a while now and that doesn't seem to have happened quite yet.

I hope Elesh is a similar power level, something you can actually cast rather than a game ender you cheat in.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 4, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Main thing with Sheoldred seems to be it was fairly underrated by a lot of commentators on the grounds of not having any immediate value or protections, which is fair enough as a heuristic but did overlook it sort of does get a little value if played into no untapped lands and they can't interact before drawing. Plus Kalitas does just fine.

I kind of expect the meta to shift against her at some point, but then again I've been expecting it a while now and that doesn't seem to have happened quite yet.

I hope Elesh is a similar power level, something you can actually cast rather than a game ender you cheat in.

People didn't expect Siege Rhino to be good in 2022 but Super Siege Rhino took em for a ride.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think a lot of them were forgetting that rotation means a far more limited suite of removal spells available. 4/5 is big enough for R/G to deal with up front, and B/U/W each lost at least a couple key pieces. Especially since Meathook is flat out bad against Sheoldred if played on curve.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think a lot of them were forgetting that rotation means a far more limited suite of removal spells available. 4/5 is big enough for R/G to deal with up front, and B/U/W each lost at least a couple key pieces. Especially since Meathook is flat out bad against Sheoldred if played on curve.

Time to start playing limited superstar Destroy Evil in your 60 card decks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

What's limited?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

What's limited?

It's magic the way Richard Garfield intended, and you only see Sheoldred in like 2% of decks rather than 90%. Check it out, it's fun!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lone Goat posted:

Time to start playing limited superstar Destroy Evil in your 60 card decks.

Yeah, I got to Mythic thanks to that card. I feel like people are adapting to the presence of Sheoldred by playing appropriate removal spells, and she's not nearly the threat that she was in week one of the format.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah white has like four different completely servicable answers to Sheoldred that you can pick between depending on what else is going on in your deck, I'm not remotely convinced that it lost anything vital removal-wise, although other colors might have, sure.

Sheoldred is just still good enough that despite that you still might as well include her in most black decks, and black currently has enough other stuff going on that everyone's playing black. You don't play black because it's got sheoldred, you play black for the whole package and then hey, might as well throw sheoldred in there.

My guess is a Meathook Massacre + Tenacious Underdog ban early on in brother's war if nothing in brother's war upsets the applecart.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I added Destroy Evil to my Boros Angels deck recently lol, not just to deal with Sheoldred but to have instant-speed answers to Kiki-Jiki. I'm also maindecking Fateful Absence for Liliana lmao

Meanwhile things seem to be stalling for Jim Davis, he's been here for 3 drafts now... solidarity with someone who's lower rank than me lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People overrated Sheoldred because people in general over value grindy cards because they grew up playing the Rock or something

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Lone Goat posted:

It's magic the way Richard Garfield intended, and you only see Sheoldred in like 2% of decks rather than 90%. Check it out, it's fun!

Nah, I'm pretty sure Magit the way Garfield Intended is what Day9TV plays in his 'What The Deck' series. It popped up on my Youtube feed again and I forgot how funny these are.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eej posted:

People overrated Sheoldred because people in general over value grindy cards because they grew up playing the Rock or something
Senator Sheoldred, I knew Phyrexian Plaguelord, and you ma'am are no Phyrexian Plaguelord

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Guys I'm just coming back from a 2 year break (went to prison right as omnath was banned lol) What'd I miss? Big highlight wise I mean

Got it working on my phone. How do I get it working on my old kindle fire tablet? Something to do with api's right? Haven't touched a PC/phone in forever.

I was just getting into draft as I left. Trying to spend as little as possible. Is there one of those excel spreadsheet s for when to crack your dom United packs? If I start now, is the com master pass good value

Explorer anthology 1/ historic 6 any good?

I'll share some stories about playing "prison rules" mtg soon.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

odinson posted:

Guys I'm just coming back from a 2 year break (went to prison right as omnath was banned lol) What'd I miss? Big highlight wise I mean

Probably the absolutely awful Copying Extra Turns deck that had standard being "play a variation on that or aggro, no other options" for a few months before they finally accepted the new set didn't provide any answers and in fact gave it even more toys to play with and banned it.

Then the set after that resulted in what a lot of people were saying was The Best Standard In Years, it was an incredible transition to go through.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

odinson posted:

I was just getting into draft as I left. Trying to spend as little as possible. Is there one of those excel spreadsheet s for when to crack your dom United packs? If I start now, is the com master pass good value

I'll answer this one up front and say probably not, if you're trying to spend as little as possible.

Even with heavy grinding, we're ~40% of the way through this pass, timewise, and you basically won't be able to accumulate enough XP. You will be able to get the draft token (that comes at 15), but I just ran the calculator here and it looks like you should expect to see level 54 at best, give or take. It's worth noting that there will probably be some XP events between now and the end - there usually are - however even then you won't come anywhere near level 80 (max).

Take a look at the mastery rewards and see if that cutoff makes sense for you.

Edit: Hop into your account and plug every code from this list into the store page in Arena. You'll get a bunch of free packs, probably some cosmetics and gold. Not sure what all is on there, but that's usually the most current list. You have to scroll down quite a bit to get most of the codes.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 4, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I've been running monoblack, it's good but not broken.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure Magit the way Garfield Intended is what Day9TV plays in his 'What The Deck' series. It popped up on my Youtube feed again and I forgot how funny these are.

I dunno the last time I watched something with day9, but he was constantly screaming about how much he hated blue, and Dr Garf loooooves blue that's why he put all the good cards in it, because blue was the colour of magic.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

odinson posted:

Guys I'm just coming back from a 2 year break (went to prison right as omnath was banned lol) What'd I miss? Big highlight wise I mean.

After omnath and clover was banned standard settled into a good, if not eventually stale meta (this was the last fall set to run from september to January) of mono-G food, dimir rogues, yorion doom foretold, and gruul aggro.

The release of Kaldheim brought back snow cards and the creature land Faceless Haven, which was good enough to make mono red, white, or green aggro viable. Goldspan dragon was a beast in multiple decks and Esika's Chariot did great as both an attacking and defending vehicle. But the other big release was alrund's epiphany, another extra turn spell. In concert with the new vorinclex and ramp spells, you could control the game until you cast Emergent Ultimatum and could grab a pile like Vorinclex + Alrund's Epiphany + Kiora Bests the Sea God and basically close out the game right there. Sultai ultimatum would be the best standard deck until rotation.

Strixhaven was a wizard school set and introduced the mystical archive from which you could use any of the spells in draft but only already-standard-legal ones in standard. All but 7 were legal in historic from the get-go and it was a big shakeup to the format although brainstorm, memory lapse, and time warp all ate bans quickly. There were also cards with the "Learn" ability that let you grab a card with the "Lesson" ability from your sideboard. Divide by Zero was one of these Learn cards that would eventually eat a ban. PVDDR's world championship winning card, Elite Spellbinder was also printed in STX.

They reverted from printing core sets in the summer of 2021 and we got AFR, a Dungeons and dragons set instead. Lolth was cool, but the set's most enduring effect on the meta was rare creature lands.

Summer 2021 brought another iteration of Jumpstart that brought some of the strongest modern horizons cards into Historic, but also introduced a bunch of digital-only cards that included mechanics like Seek (the game randomly searches your deck for a card that the effect calls for and moves it into your hand), Conjure (the game creates a card that the effect calls for and puts it into the correct zone) and Perpetually (what if giant growth was FOREVER no matter what zone the card goes to).

Everything from here on is part of the current rotation
Midnight hunt (and rotation) supplanted sultai ultimatum with galvanic iteration + teach by example + alrund's epiphany as the end game of an izzet control take all the turns deck that would persist until the banning of epiphany and divide by zero (faceless haven got banned there as well). This set introduces the Meathook Massacre, arguably the most influential card on standard at the moment.

Crimson Vow, released in late November long before the alrund's et al. bans in January didn't majorly shake up the meta, but during VOW wizards introduces alchemy, which is a digital-only format where the cards are subject to being rebalanced rather than straight-up banned. Each standard set is subject to receiving an alchemy update online where additional digital cards are added to the meta a few weeks after a new set releases. Content creator and whales like it but it garners a mixed-to-negative reaction from people who don't want to spend a ton of cash building up decks. The fact that the rebalanced versions of cards supersedes otherwise historic-legal cards doesn't win much support.

Kamigawa Neon Dynasty was a great limited format. Greasefang came to be really strong in explorer (pioneer but only the cards that have made it to arena). Legendary channel lands, wandering emperor, and marches make waves outside of standard. Hinata pairs exceptionally well with Magma Opus from STX. Fable of the Mirror Breaker

Streets of New Capenna brought ally colored Triomes to standard. Tenacious Underdog, Unlicensed Hearse, Ob Nixilis, and Titan of Industry are all good.

There was an entire Baldur's Gate set after SNC but it was digital-only so no impact on standard or explorer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Someone should probably write up the addition of Alchemy and how that's shaken up the various formats. Or at least that it can be avoided entirely if you don't play Standard Alchemy or Historic. Also what Explorer is. I would but :effort:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wotc decided to mess around with how you can do mechanics you can't do in paper since arena is a digital client and one of the ways people play magic the most nowadays especially with the pandemic happening. these digital-only cards are playable in the two digital-only formats on arena -- alchemy and historic -- and derivatives thereof like historic brawl, or some of the events they run. people are Very Mixed about these cards existing at all, but ymmv

the main formats supported on arena are now standard (exactly the same as standard in paper, rotating at the same time), alchemy (standard plus some of the digital-only cards), historic (all cards on arena including digital-only and those rotated out of standard), and explorer.

explorer is a stopgap format they added to arena when people started getting frustrated at the lack of a true-to-paper extended format on arena, as they added the alchemy cards to historic alongside the previous digital-only cards from the starter decks already in the format. it's essentially 'all the cards that are legal in pioneer that are on arena,' with pioneer being a format introduced right before the pandemic including all the standard sets from return to ravnica forward. they made this stopgap format because adding all the pioneer cards to arena would ostensibly take forever (there's currently over three thousand cards legal in pioneer that aren't on arena) + making it a separate format lets them have a separate banlist as it slowly approaches parity with pioneer

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
They should buff Urabrask for Alchemy. That guy's sad. At least give the bastard trample?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

flatluigi posted:

wotc decided to mess around with how you can do mechanics you can't do in paper since arena is a digital client and one of the ways people play magic the most nowadays especially with the pandemic happening. these digital-only cards are playable in the two digital-only formats on arena -- alchemy and historic -- and derivatives thereof like historic brawl, or some of the events they run. people are Very Mixed about these cards existing at all, but ymmv

the main formats supported on arena are now standard (exactly the same as standard in paper, rotating at the same time), alchemy (standard plus some of the digital-only cards), historic (all cards on arena including digital-only and those rotated out of standard), and explorer.

explorer is a stopgap format they added to arena when people started getting frustrated at the lack of a true-to-paper extended format on arena, as they added the alchemy cards to historic alongside the previous digital-only cards from the starter decks already in the format. it's essentially 'all the cards that are legal in pioneer that are on arena,' with pioneer being a format introduced right before the pandemic including all the standard sets from return to ravnica forward. they made this stopgap format because adding all the pioneer cards to arena would ostensibly take forever (there's currently over three thousand cards legal in pioneer that aren't on arena) + making it a separate format lets them have a separate banlist as it slowly approaches parity with pioneer

It should be noted that Explorer isn't exactly supported. There was one extremely mediocre Explorer supplement and that's it. There's no premier events, no official tournaments, nothing. It's also there least played constructed format, DOA, and I expect wotc to patch it out of arena within a year.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

It should be noted that Explorer isn't exactly supported. There was one extremely mediocre Explorer supplement and that's it. There's no premier events, no official tournaments, nothing. It's also there least played constructed format, DOA, and I expect wotc to patch it out of arena within a year.
I think supposed to be another explorer announcement in 30 year stream in 30 minutes. Also explorer is fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

the new Elesh Norn will have Reverse Domain - creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 for each land type your opponents have

that's right, those stupid Nishoba Brawler decks that run Raffine's Tower will be put in their place

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Panderfringe posted:

Great news! They just announced Shadows Over Innistrad Remastered for next year

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

And another explorer anthology later this year, I believe.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

precision posted:

the new Elesh Norn will have Reverse Domain - creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 for each land type your opponents have

that's right, those stupid Nishoba Brawler decks that run Raffine's Tower will be put in their place

I'm down, I'd like to see more incentive to be monocolour. Bring back Vampire Nocturnus! (I know it's not quite the same because of gold cards)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Panderfringe posted:

it shouldn't be noted because that's both not true and a wild overreaction, lol

like, explorer is explicitly a temporary format since it will eventually be replaced with pioneer proper once the formats are at parity (i.e. when wotc churns through most of the three thousand cards that are missing from arena that are pioneer legal). they have zero reason to remove the format until that happens, and as just announced arena's going to continue both to backfill sets with SoI remastered & add targeted drops of cards in anthologies to continue working towards that goal

also you're not seeing paper tournaments and events for explorer because paper has pioneer. simple as

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For digital-only mtg players, I would like to share with you some lols from the paper side of things

GonSmithe posted:

Secret Lair Advent Calendar coming, 30 cards $140 with chance of each card being a foil. It's taking other secret lair styles and applying them to cards.

30th Anniversary Pack product coming. Not tournament legal, different back.

I missed pack distribution but they are packs, and each card has a new and retro frame. Each pack comes with 2 retro frame cards, 1 basic land and 1 other card in the pack, the retro slot is 3x more likely to be a Land and Dual Lands are more likely to appear in land slot.

They cost $1000 for 4 packs. Each WPN store will get 1 box free, and premium get 3 boxes free.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Explorer is a format at the world championships this year iirc. So that’s a little support.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eej posted:

Don't kink shame me.

Also now I need to make a People's Elbow deck.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

precision posted:

How do you mirror that effect at all? Unless you mean it's the exact same anthem effect as her old card except with domain on both sides?

I think new Elesh Norn will have a mana tax/reduction effect.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, the first explorer anthology had a few cards for the top tier deck, and a couple of strong tier 2 decks (kalitas, mausoleum wanderer, supreme verdict, elvish mystic Hangarback Walker (this might be good when we get Nykthos),
some janky budget decks that used to be good (Ensoul Artifact, Darksteel Citadel, battlewise hoplite, favored hoplite, titan's strength)
a rock deck that isn't very good but everyone wants to play it (Siege Rhino, Tireless Tracker)
some brawl cards (Alesha, shadowborn apostle)
some sideboard cards to shut people up who complain about certain decks (slaughter games, tainted remedy)
and some cards that might be good, or someone might be able to do something with them if we get some other cards (back to nature, temur battle rage, Rally the Ancestors)

so pretty much every card in the anthology does something. whether or not it does something GOOD is debatable, but they have a reason for being there. Given that, I wonder what we're going to see out of the next anthology?

I'm guessing Nykthos, Thing in the Ice, and maybe swiftspear or dig through time for good constructed playables

probably hidden strings and thespian's stage for the janky budget deck. (We're getting Pore over Pages in shadows of innistrad remastered (probably))

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

For digital-only mtg players, I would like to share with you some lols from the paper side of things

it is very lol because the loving Laces are in rare slots same as power

imagine spending $250 to open a Lifelace

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
Imagine spending $250 and getting Farmstead...or The Hive. The amount of garbage in Beta is vast.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

on the other hand you could've kept the poo poo that doesn't matter to arena players in the thread for paper magic so this thread doesn't devolve into all that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Lone Goat posted:

Great news! They just announced Shadows Over Innistrad Remastered for next year

Well then i guess I'll be eating my hat or flagellate myself or however one seeks penance