Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been playing Splatoon with gyro, online on the actual Nintendo servers with my actual Nintendo ID.

That is wild. I wonder if pokemon would work like that. Would be fun to catch up on some trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been playing Splatoon with gyro, online on the actual Nintendo servers with my actual Nintendo ID.

All right, guess I'm hooking my wii u back up just so I can dump the files I need. Very cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

This looks to fix RDR2 and possibly other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfdQ3NJ0keo

TLDW it essentially makes the swap file on the deck larger to give the GPU more breathing room.

According to his benchmarks it also pretty drastically improves performance.

I don't have a keyboard with me today but I am going to do this tomorrow for sure.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That just delays the inevitable. It's apparently a bug in the game's Vulkan renderer, there's a more reliable solution/hack to RADV that should be coming to a SteamOS update update soon.

There's this handy reddit post that explains how update to the latest RADV manually from Valve's own repositories. Might be better to do this rather than loving around with swap but you may get weird problems and regressions either way.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 4, 2022

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ullerrm posted:

Can someone link a good guide to packaging up non-Steam Windows games? I'm interested in putting Slice and Dice on the Deck.

Here's what I like doing. It seems like a lot but half of it is first-time-only stuff and it's actually pretty easy once you've done it twice. I think I have more non-Steam games than Steam games installed right now.

Though Valve's plan of drawing me into their ecosystem is definitely working.

Non-Steam Games as First-Class Citizens

I've found that a lot of Windows games run just fine with a newer version of Proton and a little bit of tweaking. To the point where one almost couldn't tell they weren't Deck-native. It requires a bit of setup and I may be forgetting a step but once you've got the fundamentals in place it's easy to repeat the process.

It helps to have a mouse and keyboard handy; you'll be in Desktop Mode for a bit.

• Install ProtonUp-Qt: From Discover, the built-in application manager (Start -> System -> Discover), install ProtonUp-Qt. This will allow you to install newer versions of Proton ahead of Steam's official releases. You only need to do this once.
  • Install the latest Proton-GE: Launch ProtonUp-QT, click Add Version, and select the latest version of Proton-GE (GE-Proton-7-24 at time of writing). You may need to restart your Deck at this point for it to show up in the next steps. You only need to do this once, unless you want to update to a new version of Proton. I've been happily using 7.20 and don't feel the need to fix what isn't broken.
  • Install a game: Launch Steam from Desktop Mode. Go to the Library tab. Click Add a Game in the bottom left, and choose Add a Non-Steam Game. Click Browse and locate the setup.exe if you need to install it or the primary exe if it doesn't require installation. You'll probably have to change File Type from Applications (*.desktop) to All Files in order to see it.
  • Change the settings: You should see a new entry for setup.exe (or whatever the file name was) in your library list on the left. Right click on it and go to Properties. On the Compatibility tab check Force The Use of a Specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool then select the GE-Proton that you installed previously. If the game requires no installation then skip the ? steps that follow.
  • Install to SD Card?: If it's an installer and you want to install it to the SD card you'll need to add the following string to Launch Options: "STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/run/media/mmcblk0p1/ %command%" (without the double quotes). This will allow your SD card to show up as the E: drive for the installer.
  • Install?: Run the setup.exe and hopefully you'll be able to install to a place of your choosing. Some installers (especially the kind with music) seem less likely to work on the Steam Deck than others; I've also found some success with installing on a separate computer and just copying the files over, but that will only work with games that install everything to one directory (which admittedly is often GoG games).
  • Target new EXE?: Now that the installation is done, you'll need to edit your custom application to point to the new EXE. Right click on it and go to Properties again and hit the Browse button on the Shortcut tab to locate the newly-installed executable. Feel free to remove the STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS Launch Options if you want, though I don't think leaving it does any harm.
  • Set the Steam App ID: In whatever folder your game's executable exists, you'll need to create a "steam_appid.txt" file whose contents are the numerical Steam App ID, most easily gotten from https://steamdb.info/.
  • Download Icons: You'll also want some pictures or it'll show up as a blank box on the Steam Deck. https://www.steamgriddb.com/ is pretty good for that. You'll want a tall one and a wide one if you can find them. I prefer to save them to the same directory the game's executable is in.
  • Set Icons: There are three places to set icons and it's a bit fiddly. One is on the Shortcut tab just to the left of the name on the Properties page we've been messing with. It's the least important but it's kind of nice. Use the tall one here. The second is on the Library tab. Make sure to scroll down to the All Games section (don't use the one under What's New, that doesn't work for some reason) and find your game. Right click on it, go to Manage -> Set Custom Artwork. Use the tall one. Launch your game for just a sec; the first invocation will take a minute but hopefully it'll work. Exit out if it does. You should now see a wide blank icon under Recent Games, below All Games in the Library. Right click on that too and go to Manage -> Set Custom Artwork. Use the wide one.
  • Hide Steam Version: Earlier when we set the steam_appid.txt we suggested to Steam that this was the Steam version of a game. This causes its Steam version to show up in the Library, often with a link to the store page. Right click on that version and go to Mange -> Hide This Game. Then you should only have the one version.

Again it sounds like a lot but it's not that bad once you've done it about twice. Let me know if you have any hiccups; I've installed about a dozen games this way. Not everything works but most things did. One or two were kinda fiddly and so I decided to just buy the Steam version anyway. Turns out with some effort you can copy your save over, but that's a discussion for a different time (that I somewhat already had).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Non-Steam Games as First-Class Citizens

This rules and should probably go into the OP.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

That just delays the inevitable. It's apparently a bug in the game's Vulkan renderer, there's a more reliable solution/hack to RADV that should be coming to a SteamOS update update soon.

There's this handy reddit post that explains how update to the latest RADV manually from Valve's own repositories. Might be better to do this rather than loving around with swap but you may get weird problems and regressions either way.

The graphs he shows in the video show it leveling out so it doesn't go out of memory anymore though :shrug:

I'll mess with the swap file anyway since I've got the 512 version and I don't mind giving the deck some more breathing room.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

The graphs he shows in the video show it leveling out so it doesn't go out of memory anymore though :shrug:

I'll mess with the swap file anyway since I've got the 512 version and I don't mind giving the deck some more breathing room.

The game is allocating way more memory for itself than it should, causing it to swap to disk, which is bad for performance and for the disk. The RADV patch prevents that from happening in the first place.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 4, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol you have to rework xbox isos to get Xemu to pick them up if the filesize is too big

I love this

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think the HDMI out on one of my Switch docks is failing, I was going to grab a refurbed Nintendo dock but it seems like a good opportunity to find something that will work for both the Switch and Deck since mine's on its way from GabeN. Is the Genki Covert the only option that will work for both?

Also my Deck tracking has been stuck at "Packaged items" for a few days, is that pretty normal? I think it's been there since at least last Thursday, so basically 2-3 business days.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MockingQuantum posted:

Also my Deck tracking has been stuck at "Packaged items" for a few days, is that pretty normal? I think it's been there since at least last Thursday, so basically 2-3 business days.

Mine was at packaged for about 3 days, I assume it’s in a pile of Decks just waiting for a courier pickup.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hmm, has anyone gotten the Xemu emulator to work for any Xbox games on the steam deck? I tried converting the isos to xisos but it still tells me to insert a disc; it doesn't seem to recognize anything.

e: Oh it's a redump so I do something different, gently caress lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmm, has anyone gotten the Xemu emulator to work for any Xbox games on the steam deck? I tried converting the isos to xisos but it still tells me to insert a disc; it doesn't seem to recognize anything.

It’s a nightmare to get Xbox emulators to work with anything but an actual game dump from an actual Xbox. The redump isos you can download from most places aren’t going to work even with the various converter tools out there. So I just ended up getting the cable to CFW my Xbox and dump my copy of JSRF.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I've almost got it and lol yeah it is

Mechassault almost certainly isn't worth replaying for this but this is also the whole point for me lmao

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Hammer Bro. posted:

It helps to have a mouse and keyboard handy; you'll be in Desktop Mode for a bit.

Great guide and once you get it down, it's super easy to install everything.

Just to add onto this part, I use Anydesk on my PC and have it installed on the Deck. Share the screen and you can use your PC Mouse/KB on the deck and also move over files super simple.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Hammer Bro. posted:

[*]Set the Steam App ID: In whatever folder your game's executable exists, you'll need to create a "steam_appid.txt" file whose contents are the numerical Steam App ID, most easily gotten from https://steamdb.info/.

This step doesn't seem to do anything for me, the entry is the same with and without the file (completely blank if you don't have icons/banners). Is there something I need to do to get it to be recognized? Mostly I just want to be able to choose control layouts. I should note this also seems to be true on my regular PC, so I might just be missing something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really hope the official dock has some special features that the JSAUX or other third party docks lack. I’m not calling for extra power, but maybe something that’ll remember and auto switch between docked and undocked settings like the Switch.

It does, it's the only Dock that props up the Deck and has 2 video outs. lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1577101668533035008?s=46&t=O4mFptnqsKJAf-OOcgA8cw

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tried aperature desk job, it was neat little 30 minute game.

I'm no good at gyro aiming

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As a big Nintendo fan, I really don't like having to go back to the bullshit Xbox layout. :argh:

It's gonna suck using an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro with it, unless it automatically correctly maps the proper buttons to the proper spots?
You can use Nintendo layouts for controllers, Steam can be set to automatically assign the Nintendo layout to anything that can connect in Switch mode. And the Pro 2 has remapping software that can be used on PC to "fix" the button layout even in XInput mode, you might want to try it with other 8bitdo controllers, IIRC it works with the Pro+ as well?

Honestly I've just been using the Deck's controls, there are some issues with using external controllers on the Deck. It's not nearly as seamless as on Switch. Pretend it's a PlayStation controller.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It’s important to remember they are taking a loss on all of them (maybe less so now but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still a negative).

I'd bet its net positive once you factor in the extra game purchases and people starting to favour steam again over epic or others for the easier integration.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Valve loving owns. I wonder what else they'll implement after seeing a lot of people modding SteamOS to do certain things.

I'd love a Theme Shop and/or user made themes people can share through Steam.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Truga posted:

right now being deck verified means you're on a pretty short list, kinda like what being on steam meant back in like '09 :v:

What is that even supposed to mean? Steam debuted in 2003, by 2009 it was well on its way to becoming the dominant PC game distribution platform if it wasn't that already. Hell, Steam was so successful by 2009 that Valve released HL2 Episodes 1 & 2, Portal, and both Left 4 Dead games by that point, and most if not all AAA games were on Steam, if not exclusively so.

I'm guessing you actually meant to pick a much earlier date to illustrate a point about a limited selection of games? Because 2009 ain't that, chief!

MarcusSA posted:

At this point I’ve left the deck set to 40fps no matter if the game can do 60 or not.

40 feels great.

It really does, and we should re-emphasize that even if the hardware can give you higher framerates and/or graphical fidelity, if you're fine limiting either/both then you'll extend battery life by doing so.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Atomizer posted:

What is that even supposed to mean? Steam debuted in 2003, by 2009 it was well on its way to becoming the dominant PC game distribution platform if it wasn't that already. Hell, Steam was so successful by 2009 that Valve released HL2 Episodes 1 & 2, Portal, and both Left 4 Dead games by that point, and most if not all AAA games were on Steam, if not exclusively so.

I'm guessing you actually meant to pick a much earlier date to illustrate a point about a limited selection of games? Because 2009 ain't that, chief!

It really does, and we should re-emphasize that even if the hardware can give you higher framerates and/or graphical fidelity, if you're fine limiting either/both then you'll extend battery life by doing so.

Steam was around a long time, but to my memory it didn't really explode until that first big $3 sale on The Orange Box, which was the first thing I bought on Steam and what got me to install it since it still had its early reputation for being slow and buggy.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

steam greenlight didn't even start until 2013 or somesuch, and steam didn't get flooded with shovelware until a couple years after that, even

being an indie on steam before that was a p. big deal

njsykora posted:

Steam was around a long time, but to my memory it didn't really explode until that first big $3 sale on The Orange Box, which was the first thing I bought on Steam and what got me to install it since it still had its early reputation for being slow and buggy.

yeah, same. and even then it was still a hog

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I think the HDMI out on one of my Switch docks is failing, I was going to grab a refurbed Nintendo dock but it seems like a good opportunity to find something that will work for both the Switch and Deck since mine's on its way from GabeN. Is the Genki Covert the only option that will work for both?

Mine was packaged for a week, then came 2 days later

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

njsykora posted:

I remember in like, 2009, Bioshock was on sale for $5. I didn’t even have a computer that could run it but I bought it “just in case.” I still haven’t played the Steam version. They knew what they were doing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a little annoying how often the Desktop mode seems to stop recognizing certain mouse actions, either through the trackpad or the touchscreen. My dock can't get here soon enough.

Got Mechassault working though! Burnout too but it had to be on PS2; the Xbox version's just sort of busted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember getting a Half Life disc version and absolutely hating having to install Steam. I mean, it was just awful having this buggy, resource-intense thing running all the time, and I just wanted to play my games offline. That was near when it launched, and I hated it so much, I just kind of dropped PC gaming for a while and lost my original account. Didn't get a new account until Portal was free back in 2009-2010, and I remember the big non-Valve games on there were Crusader Kings and Civilization IV. Anyone remember pretty much only seeing them? I think World of Goo, Braid, and Gish were the indie examples of 'literally everyone owns these games now'.

Nowadays, of course, I absolutely love Steam. Well played, Valve. Well played.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I think Rag Doll Kungfu was the first non-valve game I bought from steam and I only picked it up for the novelty of it I believe.

edit: not only did I buy it but from my gmail history I preordered it and paid 12.95 for the privilege.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember in like, 2009, Bioshock was on sale for $5. I didn’t even have a computer that could run it but I bought it “just in case.” I still haven’t played the Steam version. They knew what they were doing.

Yep, I had TOB on Xbox 360 already but I still bought it on Steam during that sale because hey gently caress it why not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I remember getting a Half Life disc version and absolutely hating having to install Steam.
I was "into" PC gaming for roughly a decade between 1993-2003 and ended up bailing on it for a few reasons, one of which is that I used a laptop exclusively for years and didn't want a "gaming laptop". So I was (am) peripherally aware of the controversies around HL2 and Steam, but I never realized they actually sold HL2 on disc for PC.

So if you bought HL2 on disc you needed to be online anyways? Updates were through Steam? How frequently did physical games ship with a Steam/launcher requirement? Was that "Games for Windows" nonsense free of it?

Nowadays, of course, I absolutely love Steam. Well played, Valve. Well played.
The other side of digital distribution is that, back in 2004 there were very real concerns about not actually "owning" anything and services could go belly-up at any time. Which, frankly, many services did.

I only started purchasing digital content when sales made them so cheap I couldn't really care about their long term viability--things like Humble Bundles and mobile games before that market went to complete trash. Even now I don't really like purchasing Nintendo games digitally, even though I've bought plenty on the eShop, becuase Nintendo has twice now nuked their past digital stores and there's no assurances they won't do it again.

In this context, that Steam has been operating for nearly two decades without a "do over" and titles purchased back in 2004 are still supported, it's outlived the longevity of many physical media formats, even.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I can now confirm that Brotato is a competent Survivors-like. Made by a single dev. In the game engine that I'm using to make a Survivors-like in.

I should really hustle my booty on that.

Twobirds posted:

This step doesn't seem to do anything for me, the entry is the same with and without the file (completely blank if you don't have icons/banners). Is there something I need to do to get it to be recognized? Mostly I just want to be able to choose control layouts. I should note this also seems to be true on my regular PC, so I might just be missing something.

In my (very early Steam Derrick) experience it was a necessary step to get the installed game to launch; without it Steam would just take me to the store page to by the Steam version of the same game. It's possible that that doesn't happen anymore, or that only happens under very specific circumstances. If you're able to launch the game you installed then don't worry about it.

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to see community layouts for non-Steam games. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even have it check.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hammer Bro. posted:

I can now confirm that Brotato is a competent Survivors-like. Made by a single dev. In the game engine that I'm using to make a Survivors-like in.

I should really hustle my booty on that.

In my (very early Steam Derrick) experience it was a necessary step to get the installed game to launch; without it Steam would just take me to the store page to by the Steam version of the same game. It's possible that that doesn't happen anymore, or that only happens under very specific circumstances. If you're able to launch the game you installed then don't worry about it.

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to see community layouts for non-Steam games. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even have it check.

I love Godot and wanted to do the same, they are all getting huge numbers, but there are sooo many now that I figured by the time I release anything it would be tumbleweeds in this genre lol.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Horn posted:

I think Rag Doll Kungfu was the first non-valve game I bought from steam and I only picked it up for the novelty of it I believe.

edit: not only did I buy it but from my gmail history I preordered it and paid 12.95 for the privilege.

It was! I remember some people getting very angry that Steam was going to start selling non-Valve games, for some reason.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I SHOULD get my Deck on Thursday… we’ll see if that actually happens

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

Don't know what the adoption curve is like, but here it's Bethesda who pulled me into Steam in 2011, what with releasing Skyrim on it. My physical box's dvd turned out to be a Steam installer with a key. That felt a bit like a kick in the balls at the time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I got Half Life (I think 2?) for free with my video card and had to set up steam. That was... 18y., 9m ago. drat

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I dont remember what dumb reason I had for not wanting to use steam when it first came out but I needed it to play CS with the boys so alas it was necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I've seen a couple people mention wanting/needing a dock or installing some remote desktop software to make it easier to do desktop stuff on Deck and I just wanted to remind everyone that Valve makes a version of Steam Link that runs on Windows, Mac and Linux PCs (and also phones). This is exclusively what I've used for remote connecting to my Deck and it is definitely the easiest and best software I've used for providing a seamless & smooth remote desktop and I would recommend that everyone try it first before anything else.

-Link that provides downloads for all platforms https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay#anywhere
-Direct link to the Windows version https://media.steampowered.com/steamlink/windows/latest/SteamLink.zip

Note that you don't need Steam installed on the computer that you're using Steam Link on and it's not just (or even primarily) for using the Steam Deck in desktop mode. If you connect to the Deck in gaming mode you can play your games and even on my crappy Wifi network the latency is low enough to play platformers or action games. I think the only downside I've found is that it doesn't let you do copy & pasting of files between your client computer and the Deck the way some other remote control programs might.