Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
A friend of mine just said in our Slack group:

"A four pack of proxy cards with no guarantee you'll get... Well, anything. Power 9 is legendary, but I'm not sure most people remember the amount of pure drek that filled most rare slots. Like, unspeakable garbage. So unplayable it doesn't matter if it's gold bordered or not.

Enjoy your $250 farmstead!"

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but god I hope it is. If WotC is going to do dumb poo poo like this, I want to feast on the tears of the suckers that buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Four. Cards. Per. Pack.
LOL

E:

Misread, it's fifteen, but still...

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Oh, well that seals the deal then. I will enjoy a $67 Channel that I can't use, thank you very much.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/celebrate-30-years-magic-gathering-30th-anniversary-edition-2022-10-04

It's real. You might get a mox, but you'll likely get The Hive.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Railing Kill posted:

lol

"None of this is legal, but we're going to pretend we don't care for a sec so you go and buy this bullshit that the Foreboding Voice in our earpiece is telling us you should buy."

I interpreted it more as "If the fuckers are saying this is okay for commander/cube then Proxy all you want so long as it isn't somewhere official, we aren't panopticoning your spelltable games."

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Can't wait for the 30th anniversary back to get added to MPCFill so I can just pretend like I spent $$$$$ getting fake duals instead of $ to get fake duals.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Congrats MaRo, you reprinted reserve list cards. loving do it for real now you cowards.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Chakan posted:

I spent a good deal of yesterday thinking about what number people would assign various precons and what a “real 4” and a “real 1” would look like. I’m pretty sure a 1 would have 70 basic lands and as many 4-cost 1/1 creatures with progenitus at the helm and no way to produce black mana or something. I just can’t figure out how someone could make a 1 unintentionally.

There used to be a "Tobias Andrion" challenge to estimate how a deck would perform

You take this deck: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tobias-andrion-commander/ , which is nothing but vanilla creatures that play easily on curve and attack all out whenever able, and see how quickly you can beat it.

The number of decks that fail this challenge...

So, someone got their papers mixed up, and instead of reading "Chinese proxy sellers are cutting into our secondary sales bottom line" and "ABU dual lands are going for $1k depending on condition" as separate line items...

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Robviously posted:

Congrats MaRo, you reprinted reserve list cards. loving do it for real now you cowards.

:emptyquote:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I mean this is it right? This is WotC admitting that MtG is too expensive of a game to actually PLAY, so proxying is fine, for the reserved list at least. They're trying to capitalize on that of course, but that seems to be what this is.

If nothing else proxying ABUR duals is free game now.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I feel like this isn't an admission of anything and is another attempt to see just how much people will pay for their product.

Proxies aren't anything new and won't go away. They've never been tournament legal and if anything, this is akin to the CE set but stupid. I can be generous and say this is an attempt to see what added inventory like this would do to the reserved list but I won't be. They don't give a poo poo and so long as they keep hiding behind the reserved list, that'll be clear.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, go ahead and try to show up to something sanctioned with them and see what happens.

Otherwise? Nothing changed. You could counterfeit before.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, go ahead and try to show up to something sanctioned with them and see what happens.

Otherwise? Nothing changed. You could counterfeit before.

Do people actually care enough to meticulously deck check at EDH events?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Syenite posted:

These cards have a big 30th anniversary stamp as a set symbol.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

These cards have a big 30th anniversary stamp as a set symbol.

Obviously don't use THOSE cards, but if you get the nice proxies from MPC or whatever, how hard does the average volunteer judge actually check at an event where everyone has 100+ unique cards?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Syenite posted:

You would need to be a huge prick to care that someone's edh deck only has "real" cards in it.

Edit:

Syenite posted:

Obviously don't use THOSE cards, but if you get the nice proxies from MPC or whatever, how hard does the average volunteer judge actually check at an event where everyone has 100+ unique cards?

MPC cards for anything recent won't have the holo sticker and from what I've read the print quality and texture are obvious to the point where actual authenticity checks aren't needed.

For bootleg sites it seems like they will get you past a cursory review double sleeved but if it gets to the point where they are doing the light test you aren't going to fool anyone. And since most games with a judge present are going to be at a store or tournament there will be someone that would be able to authenticate a card.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 4, 2022

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
With the new Un-set, I've been thinking about trying to make my first Commander (and constructed in general) deck in ages with Myra the Magnificent and as much in the way of Attraction support, dice rolls, and maybe stickers* as I can fit while still having it work like a spell-heavy aggro-y deck and not just a random mishmash.

* The max of 3 sticker sheets feels pretty limiting, though. In a non-acorn game you're only going to get, what, at most six abilities out of those?

Also, the Vorthos in me is sad that there aren't enough of the D&D rulebook style cards to build a functional Commander deck out of them. I find something really funny about the idea of an entire deck that looks like it should belong in a different game entirely.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Can't wait for the 30th anniversary back to get added to MPCFill so I can just pretend like I spent $$$$$ getting fake duals instead of $ to get fake duals.

:yeah:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
A creatures color identity is independent of their color, right? Morophon is colorless despite have a WUBRG identity?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A creatures color identity is independent of their color, right? Morophon is colorless despite have a WUBRG identity?

Yes.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Correct

Color =/= Color Identity

Najeela is red colored, and has a color identity of WUBRG

Bosh is colorless, and has a color identity of Red

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Roadie posted:

With the new Un-set, I've been thinking about trying to make my first Commander (and constructed in general) deck in ages with Myra the Magnificent and as much in the way of Attraction support, dice rolls, and maybe stickers* as I can fit while still having it work like a spell-heavy aggro-y deck and not just a random mishmash.

Make sure you are using Pentad Prism/Power Conduit and a Nesting Grounds to get the most value out of your attractions. And definitely go heavy on countermagic, because getting your attractions removed is gonna suck.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Robviously posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MasterBuilder posted:

MPC cards for anything recent won't have the holo sticker and from what I've read the print quality and texture are obvious to the point where actual authenticity checks aren't needed.

MPC will also bounce back any order with a Wizards copyright line, or the official MTG card back. No one is mistaking one of those for the real thing unsleeved and even in a sleeve there's a really obvious blank space in the bottom right corner.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tarnop posted:

MPC will also bounce back any order with a Wizards copyright line, or the official MTG card back. No one is mistaking one of those for the real thing unsleeved and even in a sleeve there's a really obvious blank space in the bottom right corner.

Gotta use those special sleeves with a built in frame if you're trying to be extra sneaky.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Syenite posted:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Gotta use those special sleeves with a built in frame if you're trying to be extra sneaky.

but why wouldn't you just use "those" cards? at that point you're using MPC proxies as "counterfeit" cards and attempting to pass them as real, it's just that for some reason you've chosen to use bad "counterfeits" that won't even pass a cursory inspection

all anything like special sleeves (in a context where card authenticity matters) will do is get people to look twice, which is the #1 thing you don't want to be doing

in contexts where proxying is fine then MPC offers you a lot of fun customizability and presumably you're not having volunteer judges deck check you

(this is now though, if/when "official" Wizards-produced proxies become acceptable in some variation of an "official" context you're going to start having some pretty hilarious issues with "fake" "fake" cards)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LGD posted:

but why wouldn't you just use "those" cards? at that point you're using MPC proxies as "counterfeit" cards and attempting to pass them as real, it's just that for some reason you've chosen to use bad "counterfeits" that won't even pass a cursory inspection

all anything like special sleeves (in a context where card authenticity matters) will do is get people to look twice, which is the #1 thing you don't want to be doing

in contexts where proxying is fine then MPC offers you a lot of fun customizability and presumably you're not having volunteer judges deck check you

(this is now though, if/when "official" Wizards-produced proxies become acceptable in some variation of an "official" context you're going to start having some pretty hilarious issues with "fake" "fake" cards)

Oh, I wasn't being serious about passing off fakes as real. I just meant that, at best, you'd have to use special sleeves to cover up the blank bottom of the card.

E:

https://articles.starcitygames.com/...assassins-creed

Can't wait to build a Cloud Strife commander deck!

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 5, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://articles.starcitygames.com/...assassins-creed

Can't wait to build a Cloud Strife commander deck!

Same but Ezio.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tbh if they made a Terra commander that flipped into her Esper form I might actually use it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Would unironically play an Aerith or Yuna deck

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tribal moogle :hai:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Heath posted:

Tbh if they made a Terra commander that flipped into her Esper form I might actually use it

:emptyquote:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Johnny Truant posted:

Tribal moogle :hai:

Dancer Mog where you roll a 1d6 to get random effects every turn

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

There are too many FF characters I'd like to see. Specially ones from FFT.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Bartz Butz from FFV with changeling.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Cyan acquires counters for every turn he sits in the command zone, and does something different/better depending on how many counters he has when he is cast.

Celeste is Mana Drain on a body, like Ertai is to Counterspell.

Gau is like a Gruul colored Experiment Kraj, conditionally copying the activated abilities of other creatures you control.

Terra is a flip card for sure, dealing a Chandra's Ignition effect upon flipping. Maybe an Enrage trigger on her human side for her to flip?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

If you're playing Green but aren't playing an effect like Paradox Engine/Kinnan, is there a reason to play signets/talismans over the 2cmc mana ramp sorceries? It feels safer to ramp lands than it does to have artifacts out that can get blown up, shut off, or just help fuel an opponent's Dockside.

E:

Spoony Bard EDH

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

If you're playing Green but aren't playing an effect like Paradox Engine/Kinnan, is there a reason to play signets/talismans over the 2cmc mana ramp sorceries? It feels safer to ramp lands than it does to have artifacts out that can get blown up, shut off, or just help fuel an opponent's Dockside.

If you are in green, your best ramp is usually:
• 0-1 CMC artifacts
• 1 CMC Dorks
• Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl
• Carpet of Flowers
• Ancient Tomb

After that you get into splash stuff like Dockside, Orcish Lumberjack, Rituals, etc.

If you can't use all that for whatever reason, yes, 2 cmc sorcery ramp can be used, prioritizing things that can fetch 2-color lands and things that com in untapped. 2-mana colored rocks are also fine, basically Arcane > Fellwar > Talismans > Signets > Heart > Diamonds. Of the colorless ones, the only one that I really thing is worth considering is Torque, and I'd probably use that before signets. It's got too much upside to skip if you are going that deep.

Honestly, worrying about your rocks fueling opposing docksides isn't worth worrying about and mass artifact destruction happens, but it's rare enough and slow enough usually to not matter much.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Railing Kill posted:

Cyan acquires counters for every turn he sits in the command zone, and does something different/better depending on how many counters he has when he is cast.

Celeste is Mana Drain on a body, like Ertai is to Counterspell.

Gau is like a Gruul colored Experiment Kraj, conditionally copying the activated abilities of other creatures you control.

Terra is a flip card for sure, dealing a Chandra's Ignition effect upon flipping. Maybe an Enrage trigger on her human side for her to flip?

Gau would phase out when you activate Rage, then gets a random ability counter and a +1/+1 counter when he phases back in

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The folks at Commander VS playing cEDH for once: https://youtu.be/MDWsV49RWBg

Let's look at them decklists: https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/commander-vs-310-the-crew-tries-cedh/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The last time they did this, they had such a horrible community backlash. I hope people won't be dicks on the internet this time.

lol yeah right