Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Trailer for the Dead Space remake came out, game's releasing on January 27th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDJNZ9cK1w

Takeaways:
It looks like Dead Space 1 but prettier.
Isaac isn't a silent protagonist anymore and has dialogue like the sequels. Sounds like the same voice actor.

Seems pretty faithful so far from the trailer. It's supposed to be a from the ground up remake and not a remaster, I guess like the Resident Evil remakes, but looks more faithful to the original game than those, but then they swapped from isometric to over the shoulder, while Dead Space was always that.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

repiv posted:

the troubling thing is we're heading towards a future where every browser is chrome or a reskin of chrome

firefox is the only real alternative and they're falling apart, marketshare is in the toilet, they laid off a third of their staff and cancelled their next generation browser engine, and they're totally dependent on google money

I saw some article the other day about the Brave browser, which was cool in that it was auto blocking those incessant "accept all cookies or click into these assorted submenus to turn them off in the most obtrusive way possible" banners, but upon closer inspection it's not just Chromium, but also appears to be some sort of aspiring crypto scam?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Veotax posted:

Takeaways:
Isaac isn't a silent protagonist anymore and has dialogue like the sequels. Sounds like the same voice actor.

Seems pretty faithful so far from the trailer. It's supposed to be a from the ground up remake and not a remaster, I guess like the Resident Evil remakes, but looks more faithful to the original game than those, but then they swapped from isometric to over the shoulder, while Dead Space was always that.

Dead Space 4 when

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I saw some article the other day about the Brave browser, which was cool in that it was auto blocking those incessant "accept all cookies or click into these assorted submenus to turn them off in the most obtrusive way possible" banners, but upon closer inspection it's not just Chromium, but also appears to be some sort of aspiring crypto scam?

it's also headed by the former mozilla CEO who was run out of the company for supporting prop 8 (the california gay marriage ban)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Dredge is really good

It looks like exactly my kinda game, have to give the demo a go. Thanks for those who mentioned it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dead Space rocks and people who played the whole game using just the plasma cutter lack imagination and panache. :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked the contact beam but i didn't actually use it all that much because the ammo pickups sold for a good amount and i used it to upgrade my poo poo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Don't know anything about that RE: Brave, but Firefox's Reader Mode is invaluable for all those annoying things cookie popups and most news site paywalls.

Configurable for light/dark mode of course, too. Sometimes it fucks up embedded images or chunks a paragraph it shouldn't as seen here, but for the most part it works quite well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I mostly got through dead space with that force shockwave gun thing that knocked everything over. it wasn’t very damaging but nothing you knocked over could really fight back

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that gun pwned

it's too bad dead space 3 was terrible because the concept of "youre an engineer so you make your own guns" was cool but the scrounging economy was gone and i finished with like an absolute assload of health packs, and the combat encounters just felt like generic horde shooter instead of DS1 where only a few enemies could be threatening

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean weren't you also mostly fighting human enemies and it became a cover shooter too?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

the troubling thing is we're heading towards a future where every browser is chrome or a reskin of chrome

firefox is the only real alternative and they're falling apart, marketshare is in the toilet, they laid off a third of their staff and cancelled their next generation browser engine, and they're totally dependent on google money

That's fine because we're also headed toward a future where the internet is nothing but platforms. No need for different browsers that support edge cases, because the edge cases won't exist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sab669 posted:

Don't know anything about that RE: Brave, but Firefox's Reader Mode is invaluable for all those annoying things cookie popups and most news site paywalls.

Configurable for light/dark mode of course, too. Sometimes it fucks up embedded images or chunks a paragraph it shouldn't as seen here, but for the most part it works quite well.

Intriguing. Maybe it's finally time to jump back.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Humble Choice has Deathloop and Monster train as rumoured.

The rest isn't very intriguing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Veotax posted:

Isaac isn't a silent protagonist anymore and has dialogue like the sequels.

0/10 game, straight in the garbage.

I'm only half serious. I was pissy they voiced him.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Kennel posted:

Humble Choice has Deathloop and Monster train as rumoured.

The rest isn't very intriguing.

Humble Choice for October 2022:
Death Loop
Monster Train First Class
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope
Disciples
Maid of Sker
Epic Chef
Railroad Corporation

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I might sub just for deathloop but honestly by the time I play it it will probably be on sale anyway

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I might sub just for deathloop but honestly by the time I play it it will probably be on sale anyway

I imagine it'll also remain on Game Pass for eternity, since Bethesda/iD/Arkane is part of Microsoft.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

repiv posted:

it's also headed by the former mozilla CEO who was run out of the company for supporting prop 8 (the california gay marriage ban)

how brave

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mordja posted:

I mean weren't you also mostly fighting human enemies and it became a cover shooter too?

Roughly 10% of the game involves human enemies with guns and the gun-toting zombies don't take cover.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

fit em all up in there posted:

Humble Choice for October 2022:
Death Loop
Monster Train First Class
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope
Disciples
Maid of Sker
Epic Chef
Railroad Corporation

I haven't played Deathloop yet and would rather own it than play it on Game Pass, and Maid of Sker and Dark Pictures are reasonably high on my wishlist, so this is my first non-pause month in a while, especially with the $4 discount for threatening to pause. cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you want to own it why not just play it on game pass and see if its good enough to buy outright

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Veotax posted:

Takeaways:

Looks like they also changed the zero-gravity mechanics from the point-to-point jumping in the original to the free-floating way it worked in DS2/3. Probably a change for the better even if they might have to redesign some areas.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think this had been previously announced, or at least heavily hinted at, but Streets of Rogue 2 got a store page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2165810/Streets_of_Rogue_2/

Also it's apparently more of an open world sandbox now, which sounds cool. Out next year in EA.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Potionomics demo was disappointing. The Recettear influences are very clear. Sadly, it also seems to have been heavily influenced by insipid freemium games. The demo itself doesn't even go through a full game day, which makes it hard to tell anything about it. Maybe an hour if you're not distracted?

For being published by XSEED and Marvellous, it feels very unpolished. Especially since it's releasing in just 12 days.

The negotiating phase of the game has been changed. It uses a card-based system to increase price. Cards all have a price (1 or 2 in the demo) that you have to pay to play them. You can also draw a new hand for an escalating price but also the customer gets to act when you draw. It seems like it's aiming to be a light deckbuilder mechanic, but the demo doesn't give you any control over your deck. I think it's an improvement over Recettear and other games in this genre, but it feels disappointing when there are so many truly excellent deck-builders to crib from.

Crafting seems like it could be very interesting. Ingredients contain color-coded values. The total sum controls how many potions you make as well as their value, while the ratio of the colors controls what you make. Seems like a fun system with a lot of player freedom to make their own recipes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anno posted:

I think this had been previously announced, or at least heavily hinted at, but Streets of Rogue 2 got a store page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2165810/Streets_of_Rogue_2/

Also it's apparently more of an open world sandbox now, which sounds cool. Out next year in EA.

I’m loving the art style

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I’m loving the art style

It’s a nice glow up of the SoR1 style for sure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you want to own it why not just play it on game pass and see if its good enough to buy outright

Since getting a steam deck I care even more about having stuff on steam directly. (But generally yeah I’d just play on gamepass to try things out)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lone Goat posted:

Better download that Metroid FAQ where the entire block of mono spaced text is somehow fully-justified (in the typesetting sense) before the formatting gets hosed up.

this one https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/588741-super-metroid/faqs/10114

:worship: That's amazing lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anno posted:

Wow that art style is great -- very cozy in an SNES RPG kind of way with some cool lighting effects

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veotax posted:

Takeaways:

All the changes they've talked about so far:

• Zero-G bits are now more free-movement-y, like the later games.
  • Issac has a voice like in the later games, with the original actor returning.
  • Entire game is one single continuous shot, like Dead Space 2 or the new God of War.
  • Little bits of lore from the comic books and sequels integrated.
  • Additional little sidequests fleshing out side characters, characters you only previously heard in audiologs, etc.
  • Lots more triangles.
  • Gratuitous volumetric fog.
  • It's $70 on consoles but $60 on PC, lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:stare: Supreme Commander match casts still pull tens of thousands of views on youtube.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bit of a random ask but what do I have for options as far as old school dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock these days? Looking for more recent(past decade) suggestions mostly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Antigravitas posted:

:stare: Supreme Commander match casts still pull tens of thousands of views on youtube.

Hot drat.

To be fair there hasn't been a commercial release that tapped that market, so no wonder people are still at it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

[*]Entire game is one single continuous shot, like Dead Space 2 or the new God of War.
I did not realize this was a thing in DS2, and it's my favourite one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mordja posted:

I did not realize this was a thing in DS2.

It sorta was in DS1 too, the level loads were zooming in and out of the tram map screen

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Deakul posted:

Bit of a random ask but what do I have for options as far as old school dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock these days? Looking for more recent(past decade) suggestions mostly.

How Grimrocky we talking, the full "first person dungeon crawler with high fantasy theme and real time grid-based combat" or are there only a few parts of that description you're looking for?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anno posted:

oh hell yeah

The dev also put up a FAQ. Cliffs notes:
  • Very different from first game - instead of a roguelite it's a procgen open world game.
  • Should take less than ten hours to finish an average "run" across multiple short sessions.
  • Will release in Early Access and hang out there for somewhere between one and two and a half years before hitting 1.0
  • Up to four players splitscreen and online, maybe more online later in development?
  • Original composer isn't coming back, which is a shame because SOR1 had bops
  • Prolly gonna launch at $20

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FirstAidKite posted:

How Grimrocky we talking, the full "first person dungeon crawler with high fantasy theme and real time grid-based combat" or are there only a few parts of that description you're looking for?

I'm pretty flexible with the theme but yeah, I'd like it grid based and whether it's turn based or real time doesn't matter much.

On the dungeon exploring note I suggest everyone give the Neverlooted Dungeon demo a look! It's very tactile with how you interact with the environment, I dig it and would love a full game of it as long as the combat isn't as basic as it seems and there's more to the magic and potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have an enormous backlog, I have a reasonable amount of trust in Arkane, and it was only $8 for three games I want to play, so I didn't really feel the need to try it first. If I end up not liking it, it's no great loss.