Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Also, make sure your settings don't place a bandwidth cap for pre-release downloads, it did for me and I downloaded about 10% of the game at 100kbps before I realized what the problem was.

Thanks for this, I was wondering why my speeds were so low.

Also, I am cautiously excited about jumping back in to OW. The OW1 beta and launch were some of the most fun I've had gaming but I fell out of the game years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

That Seagull video is great. Three years and the main feature for this game is nowhere to be seen.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hughmoris posted:

Also, I am cautiously excited about jumping back in to OW. The OW1 beta and launch were some of the most fun I've had gaming but I fell out of the game years ago.

i wasnt there for beta but i was for launch and yeah it was dope as hell

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone who played in the beta speak to what it's like being the sole tank if you were previously the off tank? Say, RoadHog and Wrecking Ball?

im also curious about this

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone who played in the beta speak to what it's like being the sole tank if you were previously the off tank? Say, RoadHog and Wrecking Ball?

I'm no pro or anything but for ball it feels like playing a dive comp. If you've played with any combo of DVA/Winston/Ball it's similar.

With Roadhog you still have good health and damage mitigation while healing and your hook is a real threat with less barriers so you can still make space for your team.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I keep trying to download and it just keeps pausing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dugong posted:

That Seagull video is great. Three years and the main feature for this game is nowhere to be seen.

I think the main idea is that the pvp OW2 is cool, but a lot of circumstances (COVID, rapidly evolving market) means the pve is running way behind and the pvp is being released first to stop the damage. the game's gone way too long without content

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm not looking forward to whatever monetisation scheme they're cooking up for the PvE

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Roadhog is still bleh just like he was in OW1, but now he has a billion HP now and isn't an ult battery for the other team due to the tank passive. But just like OW1 he'll pick apart uncoordinated pub teams because he still 1 shots people and it's way easier to hit hooks with fewer shields ruining your fun.

Ball is strong, there's some good videos of Yeatle playing him on YouTube.

I think the biggest mental hurdle tanks* will need to get over in OW2 is that there's an expectation that everyone, including supports, have more agency/responsibility for their own survival now. It's totally fine as Ball to just get completely behind the enemy to grab some health packs then head back to the fight sometimes, you don't need to babysit your team. It's not "there's only 1 tank now so that tank MUST play defensive to protect their backline", it's "tanks as they were are largely gone with exception of 1-2 characters and your choice of tank determines how you approach the game"

*other roles will also have to get over this mental hurdle, particularly supports, and not freak out when the tanks they're used to suddenly aren't just playing as mobile shield dispensers.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think the main idea is that the pvp OW2 is cool, but a lot of circumstances (COVID, rapidly evolving market) means the pve is running way behind and the pvp is being released first to stop the damage. the game's gone way too long without content

My guess is the pve gets sold in chapters or is bundled into battlepasses. I think this could end up screwing Blizzard over as there won’t be a big release moment for it. But hey, I could be completely wrong.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

OW2 seems to be designed around the idea of Tanks not having to give a poo poo about their teammates anymore, so it's all good.

According to the stats from the beta, if you play Hog or Ball then your teammates will die A LOT more often but your win rate will actually not suffer from it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do you have a link to those stats, they sound funny to look through

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

*other roles will also have to get over this mental hurdle, particularly supports, and not freak out when the tanks they're used to suddenly aren't just playing as mobile shield dispensers.

From my experience with the beta, supports have to look out for each other, because no other bastard will.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Do you have a link to those stats, they sound funny to look through

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23837374/creativity-is-the-essence-of-discovery-overwatch-2-beta-statistical-analysis/

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
roadhog ftw

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would like to just pay Blizzard $15-$20 a month to play a fun PVE game where me and my friends fight bad robots without having to grind out specific steps to access content. It's a shame it will never happen.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Dugong posted:

My guess is the pve gets sold in chapters or is bundled into battlepasses.

Seagull quoted articles saying as such.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding PvE I really hope the success of Destiny has convinced Blizzard to basically try again with Titan, because what I really want from PvE is actually custom characters and an open world. Yes, that's extremely different from Overwatch and I'm basically hoping for an entirely different game. Still, Destiny with OW aesthetic and design is one of the few things modern Blizzard could do that would be genuinely compelling.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dugong posted:

My guess is the pve gets sold in chapters or is bundled into battlepasses. I think this could end up screwing Blizzard over as there won’t be a big release moment for it. But hey, I could be completely wrong.

I thought you watched Seagull's video? He basically shares this exact sentiment, quoting relevant sources wrt that being what's going to happen with PvE too lol.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

I thought you watched Seagull's video? He basically shares this exact sentiment, quoting relevant sources wrt that being what's going to happen with PvE too lol.

I would actually love that. Especially if the experience contributed to the same pool as PvP and there was a chapter every season. I personally play for competitive PvP, but some of the most fun things I've done in OW are unlocking the hardest PvE achievements.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

headcase posted:

...but some of the most fun things I've done in OW are unlocking the hardest PvE achievements.

:same:

I got all the cheevos for Uprising and Retribution. Beating those on the hardest difficulty (with pubbies no less!) in Story Mode was easily the most fun I've had playing Overwatch tbh. Never got around to Storm Rising though; I stopped playing consistently around that time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I found Retribution the most fun PVE mission, Storm Rising feels really short, and Uprising has that bit where the bomb is powering up that draaaaaaaaaaaags. OW2 PVE has the potential to be extremely fun.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i'm going to play this again for some reason. did they ever make zenyatta playable?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Every odd season is supposed to have a hero, so my guess is that the PvE will be tied to the battlepass during even seasons. Having characters locked behind battlepass means that releasing a battlepass without one will always give the impression that it is worth less than the others, so they must have something planned for those.

Obviously pvp maps have to be free for everyone, so that only leaves PvE modes unless they add an extra mythic skin and think that'll be enough. Chances are they have a few plans and will wait to see the reception to the game and it's monetization before settling on exactly how they'll monetize what's supposed to be their next big thing.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i'm going to play this again for some reason. did they ever make zenyatta playable?

Zen has always been strong with his discord hasn't he? He now has an improved melee that does more damage and knockbacks people and it is loving hilarious.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 4, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

:same:

I got all the cheevos for Uprising and Retribution. Beating those on the hardest difficulty (with pubbies no less!) in Story Mode was easily the most fun I've had playing Overwatch tbh. Never got around to Storm Rising though; I stopped playing consistently around that time.

To be honest, Storm Rising was much easier. I think they consciously toned it down from Uprising. Still very fun though. The uprising 80% one was so crazy with a rotating crew of pubbies.

zen is very good right now.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm not looking forward to whatever monetisation scheme they're cooking up for the PvE

"Please wait 5 minutes to reload. 20 minutes of fast reload can be purchased for 50 OWbucks

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

They gave Zen an overpowered superkick, I am not joking

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I was watching a video of streamers playing custom matches of OW2 together and someone made a quip about Zen's healing being better than Mercy's now, which I intend to look at

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's crazy. are you gonna pay that much? I was just gonna buy the battle pass maybe personally

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

based blizzard letting us buy out the entire ow2 store for the price of a single diablo immortal 5* gem

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Do my skins carry over

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Do my skins carry over

si

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Every odd season is supposed to have a hero

I believe they said season 2 will have a new tank hero, but every-other-season from then on.

verbal enema posted:

Do my skins carry over

Yes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Good

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I can't for the life of me find the pre-load for this on the Series X store

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

leftist heap posted:

I can't for the life of me find the pre-load for this on the Series X store

Doesn't have a preload on the consoles apparently, so that'd be why.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Listening to a streamer, someone said (at least on PS4/5) if you open the game it'll start the update process.

edit: this is for OW1 owners. There's no pre-load for first time OW2'ers

Aexo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 4, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Doesn't have a preload on the consoles apparently, so that'd be why.
Preload is available for Consoles as of.. now

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1577346115845861376?s=20&t=QhnuDfRCDr_ikdiwofh_nA

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Well, colour me utterly wrong then. Apologies Leftist Heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Is anyone going to do the math of how much you get from the Battlepass using this conversion?