Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh lol, I never really thought about that. I didn't even realize a BA in physics was something you could do.

you can do a BA in any of the sciences at a general college / university, nothing wrong with it (especially as part of a double major). and he got accepted into a good PhD program but went into biz instead. the guy is pretty intelligent and a workaholic, so no surprise he could do well in college.

but now he's the richest man in the world and being super rich is like taking an anti-intelligence pill.

everyone you talk to says "brilliant idea elon" even if your idea is something completely moronic like starting a useless tunnel company or a humanoid robot or buying twitter. Musk is so rich that other extremely rich people toady up to him, such he can treat them like trash and they'll smile.

if that's your life you lose all perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

goatface posted:

He's meant to be. He was the tech hippie who disliked business & marketing and just wanted to build computers for other nerds to enjoy.

Dunno how much of that is, itself, marketing.

I'm sure it became self aware performance as time went on, as all public figures inevitably become performers of themselves, but the stories of his early days make it seem very likely that at least once upon a time that's who he was, and that's all there was to it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

you can do a BA in any of the sciences at a general college / university, nothing wrong with it (especially as part of a double major). and he got accepted into a good PhD program but went into biz instead. the guy is pretty intelligent and a workaholic, so no surprise he could do well in college.

but now he's the richest man in the world and being super rich is like taking an anti-intelligence pill.

everyone you talk to says "brilliant idea elon" even if your idea is something completely moronic like starting a useless tunnel company or a humanoid robot or buying twitter. Musk is so rich that other extremely rich people toady up to him, such he can treat them like trash and they'll smile.

this is why i still call him a moron on twitter because there's a non-zero chance he'll see it

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1577334290723094528

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Anton Chigurh posted:

Very true, but maybe he wanted to make a lot of money instead? Very few people are smart enough to get a BA in physics and also become successful businessmen and CEOs of large companies, or make them profitable. Just look at all the science nerds who work for NASA or CERN, for example. Smart in physics to be sure and many high level PhDs.

Steve Wozniak is a good example of that type of engineer. Very sharp guy who never finished college but designed most of the first two Apple computers released publicly, the Apple I and Apple II. He designed everything from the circuits and their layouts on the motherboards to the drivers built into the hardware cards used to connect peripherals, like for the original ImageWriter printer. He can also write code in assembler and wrote the original Apple BASIC programming language for those computers. Not sure how many people alive today could do all that, but it ain't many, and I know I'm forgetting many others. Dude's an engineering genius.

Very nice guy too, gave away lots of his Apple stock to other early Apple employees who had far fewer shares. But his large investments in business ventures have never panned out and some lost huge amounts of his fortune. Like the US Festivals in the mid 1980's. Been involved in philanthropy for many years.

Steve Jobs, on the other hand, well, not so nice of a guy, a good engineer and designer, genius social engineer. Clearly money and status were very important to him, so much so he ripped off Wozniak once by not telling him about bonus money they got from Atari for work on one of its games, before they founded Apple Computer. Could also be very charming in person when he needed or wanted to be.

I can link that poo poo if y'all want me to, or you can look those facts up on your own. The choices are yours.

Now whether Elon is really a human or not is still up for debate. Also, his name being an anagram for "Lone Skum" is kind of odd, eh? Other funny ones can be made too.

What does it all mean? Maybe only Elon knows for sure.

:effort:
Bazinga!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
guess i'll be banned from twitter soon

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mozi posted:

guess i'll be banned from twitter soon

bold to assume there will be a twitter left to be banned from!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
God I hope he runs it into the ground

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
isn't musky a big free speech advocate? excited for him to immediately start banning people for saying things he doesn't like

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Oh poo poo, a day of being dunked on by NAFO shitposters has bullied him into spending billions of dollars on a dying internet platform.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Once he buys I'll call him a dipshit one last time and then log off Twitter for good.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

"enable and support" doesn't sound like just the cost of the terminals

i bet he's including the cost of the satellites themselves

Klyith posted:

it didn't have to be that way. he's notorious for instantly firing anyone who disagrees with him or says "no, that's impossible"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1577341397836959746?s=20&t=jl8xw7ujWz678kUsZy1imQ

With business savvy like that, Twitter is in great hands

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol if he actually is going through with it, watching twitter and elon sink each other will be a rare win for the common good. can’t wait to see how the hellworld manages to restabilize into an even worse status quo.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Twitter is about to be epic bacon :cool: n-word is allowed

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

rest in piss

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Party Ape posted:

Oh poo poo, a day of being dunked on by NAFO shitposters has bullied him into spending billions of dollars on a dying internet platform.

i am loving crying laughing rn

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

surely the year of mastodon.social is finally here

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm going to laugh if Musk acquires Twitter just in time for Section 230 to be gutted

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Certainly those text messages where Elon is talking about gutting half of Twitter's employees aren't going to come back to bite him

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Trmp

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guze posted:

Twitter is about to be epic bacon :cool: n-word is allowed

Hell its encouraged

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I can't wait to pay 0.01 doge to post on twitter

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Getting dumped by grimes and getting dunked on constantly on Twitter costs him billions and billions of dollars and it's so loving funny lol

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm curious where everyone will go. Tiktok? Tumblr? lol. Twitter has quite a hold on the liberal and left-leaning community, which is why there are so many rightwing apps trying to make safe spaces against "woke" thought. I definitely foresee an exodus of non-chud posters if Elon gets in and starts doing what Elon does, especially if he brings Trump back. I like reading Twitter because of the accounts I follow, but I know it's also a cesspool once I leave my contained box. I'd definitely delete my account if the accounts I follow started moving elsewhere or I had more forced "interaction" with rightwing poo poo being pushed by Elon's new algorithm.

ilmucche posted:

isn't musky a big free speech advocate? excited for him to immediately start banning people for saying things he doesn't like
The man's ego is already in outer space. Giving him control to delete every account that tells him to gently caress off is going to put him in an echo chamber that will propel him into thinking he's even more smart and the best at everything than he already thinks he is. This would lead to far more self-owns, which would own. He'll have his own boot stamping on his face--for ever. LMAO

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Certainly those text messages where Elon is talking about gutting half of Twitter's employees aren't going to come back to bite him
If he tries to run Twitter like he runs Tesla and SpaceX, current workers will be fleeing in droves even if he doesn't gut the force. If he gets rid of half the workers, the rest will probably also flee because they already have Twitter on their resume, expect to get fired for some bullshit soon, and will probably also expect him to run the company like he does his other companies. Either way, they are hosed if they stay on.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So Musk is now in his werewolf / manic episode mode (as indicated by insane tweets starting) which lasts at least several days. So of course, he's now back to buying Twitter because that's the decision he made during the last full moon. So while a werewolf soon wakes up in his human form in a regular bed with a deer carcass in it not knowing what happened, Musk will wake up just the same in a few days next to a fully executed Twitter purchase contract.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

kdrudy posted:

Once he buys I'll call him a dipshit one last time and then log off Twitter for good.

Call him a dipshit every day until you're banned and you will dine in poster's valhalla!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Babylon Bee will be featured in your feed whether you like it or not. They just did another LOLZ comic, this time Elon sticks it to Hillary!!!

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
drat was looking forward to the trial. Feels like they canceled the posting Super Bowl.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
A Kim Dotcom tweet from the beginning of this whole "I'm buying Twitter" fiasco:

https://twitter.com/kimdotcom/status/1514579444232781825
I'm so tired of the framing of these arguments by these idiots. The whole "freedom" and "liberty" poo poo is so weak and ambiguous. "Free speech" in the sense that only those in a special in-group can use "free speech" while an algorithm shoves endless auth-right propaganda down their throats and radicalizes them even more. These authoritarian "spank me, daddy" fanboys only think of "freedom" and "free speech" in relation to taking it away from others.

It also pre-supposes that everyone in the world is using Twitter and gains some huge benefit from it, making it so important for "free speech." Right now, Twitter has about 400 million users worldwide that check in a least once monthly, while less than half of that number don't use Twitter daily, and 75% of users live outside the US. Tiktok has 750 million user worldwide, with Tiktok being an app owned by the Chinese government and has word filters built into it. LMAO

Rad Russian posted:

So Musk is now in his werewolf / manic episode mode (as indicated by insane tweets starting) which lasts at least several days. So of course, he's now back to buying Twitter because that's the decision he made during the last full moon. So while a werewolf soon wakes up in his human form in a regular bed with a deer carcass in it not knowing what happened, Musk will wake up just the same in a few days next to a fully executed Twitter purchase contract.
I wish we could get confirmation if he's still completely addicted to Ambien and mixing it with other drugs, leading to a bunch of his blackout posting and decisions that began his trip into notoriety. I remember it was mentioned quite a bit in articles half a decade ago. The dude is obviously abusing some substances and hopping on the tweet app, but we don't know which.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Babylon Bee will be featured in your feed whether you like it or not. They just did another LOLZ comic, this time Elon sticks it to Hillary!!!

In what way, like Grimes? That would be odd since I think Hillary is well past "the change of life" and would have to have a procedure to conceive. So I'll predict in the comic she'll birth a Chelsebot he names E=mcHammer2 that calculates Pi to Infinity +1 decimals while creating awful music and bankrupting Elon to the point he has to sell all of his Dogecoin houses.

I think that has potential.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Trump is gonna drop Truth Social in a heartbeat if he's let back on

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

What I really want to see now is him following through on his stupid idea of Open Sourcing the algorithm. This could pan out in different ways depending on how they choose to go about it, but every single one of them leads to the destruction of Twitter, either financially, or by rendering it unusable.

I can't wait.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Did my part to help by deleting my account and uninstalling the app just now :cheers:

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CommieGIR posted:

It helped Jobs that he was a salesman that new how to con the very people that helped him build the company. So many of the people like Jobs and Elon are sociopathic assholes that only know how to look out for themselves.

Yes, that's what I meant by Jobs being a genius at social engineering. I've labeled Jobs as a sociopath elsewhere when I learned more about his life history and behavior after he returned to Apple and revived it when it was close to bankruptcy.

I read the article below about the differences and similarities between narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths a few months ago (written in 2016 while Trump was just an aspiring Orange Leader and compares him to other real life and fictional examples of each psychopathology). I did it so I could recognize them more easily to protect myself and my family from them because they can be hard to identify, especially psychopaths.

I may have posted it on SA already her and my apologies if I have, I can't remember: Spot the Difference: Psychopath or Sociopath? The Donald Trump Example.

I'm not as sure about Elon. I do believe he's on the high functioning end of autism spectrum, so lacking empathy fits and so does higher intelligence, but those traits fit sociopaths too.

Both Jobs and Musk were smart enough to hire and retain intelligent employees who could do the work they didn't know how to or would complement what they did know.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Thundercracker posted:

Trump is gonna drop Truth Social in a heartbeat if he's let back on

Now I’m kicking myself for not shorting DWAC, Truth Social’s SPAC

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

sticksy posted:

Now I’m kicking myself for not shorting DWAC, Truth Social’s SPAC

There's several subreddits devoted the investing and hodling DWAC because they're Trump true believers which is lol because have ever even looked at his business practices? That was when no one cared and he could get away with flagrant bullshit.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
trump isn't exactly well known for looking two steps ahead. let him back on twitter and his hosed up brain is going to see you as weak and a loser and then he will clown on you for it. no way both him and musk could exist on there together.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klyith posted:

If I could redo my life, I would not get a BS and go for some sort of trade. I didn't know how much money they made in the suburbs/urban because I lived in a very small town.

Like plumbers make so much cash per day it's no wonder a good part of them go on to make their own companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

stinch posted:

trump isn't exactly well known for looking two steps ahead. let him back on twitter and his hosed up brain is going to see you as weak and a loser and then he will clown on you for it. no way both him and musk could exist on there together.

Trump hates Musk, which is funny because Musk is a Trump supporter, if the texts from the trial are any indication. I suppose Trump is no stranger to holding his supporters in contempt.