Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Is there any like Cliff notes digest of the patch changes? I can't be arsed to watch a 45 minute video to find out the key stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

tarbrush posted:

Is there any like Cliff notes digest of the patch changes? I can't be arsed to watch a 45 minute video to find out the key stuff.

Yep.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/122125-game-update-notes-october-4-2022/

The vindicator's leap looks silly now, the animation plays at double speed and it looks ridiculous.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vindicator's jump makes me feel, more than ever, that land spears needs to be a thing. I want to play a FF dragoon okay

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yep.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/122125-game-update-notes-october-4-2022/

The vindicator's leap looks silly now, the animation plays at double speed and it looks ridiculous.

It's not in the patch notes, but did they change the leap traits with the new dodge? Or can I now use Vassals of the Empire to effectively increase boons by 4 seconds and double stack Might/Protection lol

Edit:

"Sigils that trigger when swapping weapons will now trigger when swapping legends"

Thank God! That was a dumb nerf that killed a lot of fun I had on Herald.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 4, 2022

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Lonk fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 4, 2022

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Hakarne posted:

It's not in the patch notes, but did they change the leap traits with the new dodge? Or can I now use Vassals of the Empire to effectively increase boons by 4 seconds and double stack Might/Protection lol

Edit:

"Sigils that trigger when swapping weapons will now trigger when swapping legends"

Thank God! That was a dumb nerf that killed a lot of fun I had on Herald.

I think they reduced the effect of the GM leap traits to compensate for the halved endurance cost, but only based that on checking the damage leap trait real quick and going “yeah that seems lower”

Hakarne posted:

I didn't realize Mag was known for that lol

In retrospect finding out that Mag is a bunch of solo wvw roaming guerillas not confirming to the “honorable rules of warfare” or whatever gives context to all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the wvw patch and me sitting there going “I guess that was a problem? Maybe? gently caress if I know.”

They were rebalancing for a wvw behavioral set I wasn’t taking part in.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tortolia posted:

I think they reduced the effect of the GM leap traits to compensate for the halved endurance cost, but only based that on checking the damage leap trait real quick and going “yeah that seems lower”

In retrospect finding out that Mag is a bunch of solo wvw roaming guerillas not confirming to the “honorable rules of warfare” or whatever gives context to all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the wvw patch and me sitting there going “I guess that was a problem? Maybe? gently caress if I know.”

They were rebalancing for a wvw behavioral set I wasn’t taking part in.
I've never seen anyone complain about mag being spartan warriors or whatever. If anything it's the opposite, they have too many numbers. And the fortifying enemy keeps in the servers dead hours basically kills ebg until we can get big numbers online. It's especially weird when mag has all 3 keeps t3 like wtf is going on lol. That generates the most complaints from what I see

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

CODChimera posted:

I've never seen anyone complain about mag being spartan warriors or whatever. If anything it's the opposite, they have too many numbers. And the fortifying enemy keeps in the servers dead hours basically kills ebg until we can get big numbers online. It's especially weird when mag has all 3 keeps t3 like wtf is going on lol. That generates the most complaints from what I see

I'd never even seen a a trebuchet in WvW until we went up against mag. Now they're loving everywhere. Siege is scattered across the map, and everything is T3.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is this love or mined?

I may finally not regret buying the magical girl outfit.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

404notfound posted:

??? There's 19 people on right now as I'm typing this, and it's 11:00 at night west coast, 2:00 am east coast

gently caress me, apparently I'm still in some defunct goon guild, the [GOON] tag was throwing me off.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Strategy posted:

gently caress me, apparently I'm still in some defunct goon guild, the [GOON] tag was throwing me off.

Oh yeah haha, when the game first launched we had some overflow guilds since we hadn't quite gotten it up to the max of 500 yet (and/or there were more than 500 active goon players? I don't remember). Quaggun is pretty dead, so I'd definitely join the main one if I were you. Discord link in the OP

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Check it out while it lasts, multi-core black citadel

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Actuarial Fables posted:

oh no, what did you do

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Lol so they halved all the Vindicator GM dodge traits... but I still think it amounts to a massive power boost as other dodge/boon traits don't account for it. For WvW, not needing full endurance to dodge lets you dodge way more often, which makes Vassals of the Empire even more nutso. Song of Arboreum alone is easy permanent Vigor on its own now, and traits like Resolute Evasion (Resolution on dodge) are much more desirable as you can apply the boon twice as often along with the boon increase from Vassals. So you can have nearly perma Resolution (which gives another 10% strike damage reduction traited) along with Protection! If you decide to go Salvation, the dodge for condition removal is actually useful now, it's easy to max out the barrier from Resilient Spirit, and your dodge heals which triggers Unyielding Devotion... so you can have an extra 15% incoming damage reduction along with the Protection from your dodge and pulsing barrier.

It's back to the drawing board, but in a good way

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

What's a decent tip for an HoT HP run? First three zones.

I tagged along on a few last night and he was asking for gold, ectos or mystic coins. I gave him the 10 ectos I got on the trip but later decided that wasn't enough and sent gold. I'd been doing like 1-2 gold before that which I think would add up considering 25-50 people in the squad but at one point the commander mentioned he'd only received 4 tips so far. Which most people wait til the end, fair enough, but had me wonder how many people just tag along and don't tip. I've been on a few that were clusterf*cks but got the job done, this guy was pretty streamlined though. He'd use turtle, tag, and target symbol for visibility, having multiple ports plus his jade waypoint set in advance, going back for stragglers without wasting too much time, and repeating kills fast for the tail before moving on. He also did a reflex test in one spot where he'd set the portal at an angle where they'd fall to their death if they didn't pop their glider in time, which slowed us down but was funny every time (I use a skyscale to keep up in those areas but would have totally died there).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Uh you got scammed

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

What's a decent tip for an HoT HP run? First three zones.

I tagged along on a few last night and he was asking for gold, ectos or mystic coins. I gave him the 10 ectos I got on the trip but later decided that wasn't enough and sent gold. I'd been doing like 1-2 gold before that which I think would add up considering 25-50 people in the squad but at one point the commander mentioned he'd only received 4 tips so far. Which most people wait til the end, fair enough, but had me wonder how many people just tag along and don't tip. I've been on a few that were clusterf*cks but got the job done, this guy was pretty streamlined though. He'd use turtle, tag, and target symbol for visibility, having multiple ports plus his jade waypoint set in advance, going back for stragglers without wasting too much time, and repeating kills fast for the tail before moving on. He also did a reflex test in one spot where he'd set the portal at an angle where they'd fall to their death if they didn't pop their glider in time, which slowed us down but was funny every time (I use a skyscale to keep up in those areas but would have totally died there).
Whatever you think is good, it's okay to tip on a voluntary basis if you like what someone organizing a train is doing. But if a commander begs for/"extorts" gold and ectos, just tag along for free as much as you can (not like he can kick you from the map) or get the hell out and go with one of the billion commanders who do it for fun for free and voluntary tips.

Basically

whydirt posted:

Uh you got scammed

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Fair enough. I just figured there were better things to do with his time to make money than herd cats for 3 hours (2+ runs a night) but I guess it depends how much everyone else was tipping. Most people I've seen just say "tips welcomed" in their LFG ad, this one at about 1/3 and 2/3 through would mention the ectos and mystics because he's working on an aurene legendary.

I decided last week to finish leveling all my characters to 80 and unlock all the elite specs, both to open up their collections and to try them out before settling on one I like to WvW and do strikes with. So I've been watching like a hawk for HP runs during my playtime and he's been regular enough for me to take 4 characters along so I've been happy with that. Many of the HoT spots require groups so its nice to knock them out in less time than it would take me to solo the PoF or EoD spots, especially with an ungeared character I'm not familiar with.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's very fun and easy to just do a solo tour of HoT and get the hero points that way. Most of them are just 'grab the thing on top of this rock'. Asking out loud in the chat for help if you can't solo them is a good move and people always help. I think the only ones I have trouble with are the balthazar temple, the chak in that cave, and that frog in VB that disappears and stabs motherfuckers.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 5, 2022

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Oh man those Mechanist nerfs really hurt. I'm only able to pull 35.2k DPS on the golem now.

My highest before the patch was 34.3k

Edit:

Magres posted:

I heard the ferocity trait nerf got inverted and turned into a buff instead :sun:

Well that would explain it lol

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 5, 2022

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Re: Maguuma and servers hating us, Maguuma plays like a bunch of gremlins and the server writ large doesn't care about PPT or winning matches, just killing everyone and holding SMC forever, and those things happen to win matches. Maguuma has one of the highest percentages of our overall points coming from kills - other servers are like 15-20% PPK, Maguuma is around 25%. We win by just absolutely murdering everyone constantly and having a super high KDR. Our current KDR is 1.421, with 35792 kills and 25193 deaths, and with 2 points per kill, that means we're "up" almost 20,000 points over the course of the match from just slaughtering people - averaging around 4k points a day so far, which is the equivalent to about 12 hours of T3 SMC every day.

Other servers kill people to take objectives, Maguuma takes objectives to kill people. Taking an enemy keep on EBG and sieging it up provides an endless source of pubbies to grind up for bags.

Hakarne posted:

Oh man those Mechanist nerfs really hurt. I'm only able to pull 35.2k DPS on the golem now.

My highest before the patch was 34.3k

I heard the ferocity trait nerf got inverted and turned into a buff instead :sun:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

FYI quote is not edit

Edit:

For content, I also tried out Vindicator after the dodge change. Not sure if I'm doing ~optimum dodging~ now or w/e but I was able to pull over 32k DPS on a huge hitbox and over 31k on an average hitbox. I consider anything over 30k to be perfectly fine for stuff like CM fractals so it works for me! It's also a lot nicer being able to choose when to dodge to keep your damage buffs up. Before you had to make sure to dodge the second you could so that you didn't lose the damage from the Leviathan Strength trait.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
There's a lot of random HoT points that involve a champion fight, a mastery you might not have like leyline gliding, or a lengthy series of jumping puzzles; I found trains to be convenient because the champions just dissolve and mesmers will put down portals to get you to the out-of-the-way ones. it's really handy!

That being said it does feel a little exploitative to mention how many tips you (don't) have. A lot of brand spanking new accounts do those (like me, recently) and don't have a significant amount of stuff. If I had given a 2 gold tip that would be like a third of my gold

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The easiest way to get HoT HP is to do WvW

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I did almost all my alts' HoT hero points in Zander trains, they're very fast and friendly and he never asked for a single copper.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can someone tell me how to max out DPS on Mechanist? I'm in full pinks (Zerk with a couple assassin accessories) and someone during Fracs said I was topping out at 10K.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Make sure your mech is attacking and isn't stuck somewhere. Beyond that, just hit the boss and use your weapon skills.

You won't hit the benchmark numbers people like to talk when doing actual fights, because you have to things like "move away from the boss" and "wait for the boss to not be invulnerable" and "don't die".

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Actuarial Fables posted:

Make sure your mech is attacking and isn't stuck somewhere. Beyond that, just hit the boss and use your weapon skills.

You won't hit the benchmark numbers people like to talk when doing actual fights, because you have to things like "move away from the boss" and "wait for the boss to not be invulnerable" and "don't die".

There's also stuff like having 100% uptime of all the buffs and being able to perfectly execute rotations. Besides quickness, alacrity, and 25 stacks of might being a huge contributor to your damage, many traits also include conditional damage if you've got certain other buffs, and benchmark videos always have all of those buffs turned on. And making sure you do a rotation just right can easily add a couple thousand more DPS.

Benchmarks are so idealized that I don't really like them, to be honest. Run your own benchmarks to compare damage between builds, but you really don't need to be chasing the exact numbers that people are hitting in benchmark videos. Between fight mechanics, enemy abilities, and the buff output of your team (which will be further impacted by the aforementioned mechanics), it's never going to approach those numbers anyway. I'd much rather see a comparison of builds that can handle difficult content while solo, like the Heart of Thorns hero point challenges

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lol there's currently an organized mourning for the loss of Black Citadel Core 2.0

They're playing sad lute music and /crying

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol there's currently an organized mourning for the loss of Black Citadel Core 2.0

idgi

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Where the gently caress is that maid outfit I NEED IT

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
If I wanted to play a very support oriented profession such as healing, boons, and debuff type work, what would be a good choice?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Most if not all professions have at least one decent support spec, but the most desirable in the current meta for PvE are probably mechanist and firebrand. Specter, druid and scourge are also very strong, but most people are looking for HAMs (heal/alac mechanist) or HFBs (heal/quick firebrand). Druids see a fair bit of play in raids too, and heal scourge are situationally desired. Note that the meta doesn't necessarily reflect the actual usefulness or power of the specs, it's more about what people are familiar with.

PvP and WvW are very different though, I don't play enough of them to know the meta there.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Specter got a lot shittier on the support front with the recent nerf to shroud. Basically taking any avoidable damage while in Joker Mode will knock you out of it now which greatly diminishes the strength of shroud + the regular heal you could get from it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Moochewmoo posted:

If I wanted to play a very support oriented profession such as healing, boons, and debuff type work, what would be a good choice?

Druid (Ranger spec), Firebrand (Guardian spec) and some flavors of Elementalist.
Though, all classes have the capacity for team support since that is the core design of the game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you're playing with a good group, anyone that throws out a plethora of boons while doing damage is good support, more or less

OTOH, if you're playing with a bad group, you can probably carry their asses over the finish line one-handed with any heal build of druid/firebrand/mechanist/tempest variety

i used to have issues pugging fractals, then i started playing minstrel equipped tank+heal tempest and suddenly it was all a giant cakewalk lmao

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Druid (Ranger spec), Firebrand (Guardian spec) and some flavors of Elementalist.
Though, all classes have the capacity for team support since that is the core design of the game.

This is worth noting - since every class has self heals the broader category of support is generally focused around providing boons. There’s comparatively few “healers” as you would see in other MMOs, but boons are also extremely potent so the calculus is skewed in that direction.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf3E7Zlc72U

Was pulling 30k in raids last night with this by just mashing my keys roughly on cooldown, on top of being extremely tanky and having super high stability uptime.

It's a smidge more effort than mechanist but I highly recommend it if you want something different than mechanist for LI ranged damage dealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tortolia posted:

This is worth noting - since every class has self heals the broader category of support is generally focused around providing boons. There’s comparatively few “healers” as you would see in other MMOs, but boons are also extremely potent so the calculus is skewed in that direction.

I like to play classes that dispense might because it also gives me might, making me stronger