Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am keeping the waking sands teleports tho. Those things are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mesadoram posted:

Ohh...

Well now, guess I have a purge I can do when I get home.

A few caveats imo:

1. Rather than throwing them away or selling them, any green or blue equipment can be traded in to your grand company for company seals. You can trade these in for ventures to send out your retainers to bring you poo poo back for free gil. Once you reach max rank, you can also trade seals in for loot boxes containing random minions / mounts from early expansions, which can sell for decent gil
  2. Once you complete ARR you'll be able to trade in a currency for role-specific armor that is quite good and can often last until completing the next expansion, when you can get another set with the same currency. This currency can be a little annoying to grind out, so it's worth holding onto these armorsets for future jobs of the same role - I just store mine in a retainer.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

CodfishCartographer posted:

A few caveats imo:

1. Rather than throwing them away or selling them, any green or blue equipment can be traded in to your grand company for company seals. You can trade these in for ventures to send out your retainers to bring you poo poo back for free gil. Once you reach max rank, you can also trade seals in for loot boxes containing random minions / mounts from early expansions, which can sell for decent gil
  2. Once you complete ARR you'll be able to trade in a currency for role-specific armor that is quite good and can often last until completing the next expansion, when you can get another set with the same currency. This currency can be a little annoying to grind out, so it's worth holding o to these armorsets for future jobs of the same roll - I just store mine in a retainer.

That's wild, thank you for the heads up! I have not touched the auction house, is it easy to use?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

That's wild, thank you for the heads up! I have not touched the auction house, is it easy to use?

I've never found it particularly difficult, and I'm not a heavy market player.

Note that if you want to sell stuff on the market, you have to have a retainer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sassassin posted:

WHM is a bit much for flashing lights on its own, forget what other players are doing.

It's not to the extent of difficulties others have, but Holy spam was how I discovered my photosensitivity issues.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

euphronius posted:

I am keeping the waking sands teleports tho. Those things are awesome.

Protip once you burn em up tho: Limsa, aetheryte to Arcanists' Guild, walk five steps, ferry to Vesper Bay

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Alliance raids it's a race to see who gets to waste the LB first

If there's a RDM in the party I don't care if melee's more damage, I'm burning that thing with my bard before they do.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mesadoram posted:

I hit level 48 on my warrior and I am still having a lot of fun. A helpful person suggested that I use my defensive cooldowns more freely instead of just on bosses and it has helped out a ton with clearing trash. I see a move coming up soon that puts that damage buff on me, but is the 3rd in the combo chain where as the overpower combo only requires 2 button pushes instead. Not sure I will be using that much, I suppose I just gotta use it first.

The new move you're talking about is how the buff is generally applied to yourself in boss battles. You go between the third hit of your combo being that and the move that heals yourself and generates 20 beast gauge. Just try not to overcap the buff timer and it's no big deal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Learn desynthesis from a bloke in the Ul'dah markets once you have a level 30 crafter. Break down every piece of normal gear you're not imminently going to use. Not only can this provide useful materials for crafting later (very useful if crafting on a free trial with no market access), it also makes a number go up.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've been pretty successful with grouping my cooldowns into groups and I'll try my best to use one "group" per wall to wall pull although it sometimes doesn't work out that way. In any case, I'll do something like the 30% mitigation and reprisal. Or Rampart and Arms length. Obviously with DRK I'm using TBN on cooldown in that as well. If the fight goes longer I'll pop another group and that usually sees me through. I'll also usually save abyssal drain in case I'm in a bind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think I’ll be crafting .

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

I was doing summoner, got it to above 50, and I went, "Hmmm maybe I'll try doing scholar, that seams HOLY CRAP WHAT"

And good beginner tips for SCH?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At level 50 it's mostly just let the fairy do the most of it, and use your aetherflow on lustrates. Especially do not forget about whispering dawn. Sacred soil is generally less mitigation than a lustrate heals, at this point. Shields are a trap so don't use them unless you need them. Toss an adlo between pulls or whatever but it's not like you want to keep high shield uptime or anything like that. If you do need to get into GCD spam, physic heals more than adlo if the shield isn't being refreshed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I've been pretty successful with grouping my cooldowns into groups and I'll try my best to use one "group" per wall to wall pull although it sometimes doesn't work out that way. In any case, I'll do something like the 30% mitigation and reprisal. Or Rampart and Arms length. Obviously with DRK I'm using TBN on cooldown in that as well. If the fight goes longer I'll pop another group and that usually sees me through. I'll also usually save abyssal drain in case I'm in a bind.

Just as a heads up there are diminishing returns on using multiple mitigation abilities at the same time. You're usually better off just staggering them so you have one active at a time.

Arms Length goes very well with reprisal, though.

That being said since TBN isn't actually mitigation its great to stack it with mitigation in big pulls to get a little more out of the shield since mobs will break it anyways.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

S.J. posted:

Just as a heads up there are diminishing returns on using multiple mitigation abilities at the same time. You're usually better off just staggering them so you have one active at a time.

Arms Length goes very well with reprisal, though.

That being said since TBN isn't actually mitigation its great to stack it with mitigation in big pulls to get a little more out of the shield since mobs will break it anyways.

So... The 30% mitigation doesn't pair with making enemies do 10% less damage? I paired these abilities because their effects weren't the same and I thought I didn't have to worry about the stacking penalty.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ice Fist posted:

So... The 30% mitigation doesn't pair with making enemies do 10% less damage? I paired these abilities because their effects weren't the same and I thought I didn't have to worry about the stacking penalty.

The effects are multiplicative. Using 30% and 10% as an example, first you'll reduce by 30%, then reduce by 10%. That means rather than reducing damage by 40%, you're actually reducing it by 37%. Thus, you get "more" mitigation by spreading out the effects - a full 30%, and then a full 10%. This also makes damage reduction last longer, which can be important if the DPS can't kill all the mobs before the mitigations wear off. If you blow everything and then have no cooldowns but the mobs are still at half health, you'll probably die before the DPS can finish them off - but if you spread the cooldowns around, then you'll likely live long enough for the mobs to die.

However, this comes with a caveat that most people (including S.J.) leave out - it's better to spread out mitigation rather than stacking it, if you will survive using just one form of mitigation.
If your healer / equipment isn't up to par with the amount of enemies you've pulled, then pop multiple mitigation in order to not die. Honestly, in pretty much EVERY dungeon post around 50-60, you can pop 2 mitigations per pull and still not run out of cooldowns before hitting the next boss, so who cares? As long as you're not dying then you're golden.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 4, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

Reducing 90% of enemy damage by 30% is cancelling out slightly less damage than reducing 100% of damage by 30%.

Honestly it doesn't matter, and doubling up is fine if you have enough buttons to push and aren't getting caught short going into big pulls.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I guess it's not intuitive that something that makes you take less damage and something that makes enemies deal less damage occupy the same level of "mitigation".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly the math isn't really the important part. The important part is that big trash packs are hard to heal without a cooldown. If you blow everything at once, you'll have an easy-to-heal portion followed by a hard-to-heal portion once they fall off. If you stagger them, you'll make the entire pack easy to heal

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Honestly it doesn't matter, and doubling up is fine if you have enough buttons to push and aren't getting caught short going into big pulls.

Yeah this. If you're not dying and aren't compromising pull sizes then who gives a poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The main thing is to use *something* when you can.

A healer *can* solo heal a wall pull if everything goes right and they use their cooldowns. A tank *can* do the same with all their mitigation tools (some more easily that others, but it's still going to take effort). If both of them put in half the work though, it's a much easier time for each one.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
PRO TIP: White Mages get HOLY at level 45, which is an AoE attack that STUNS all enemies. If you have a WHM healer, maybe DON'T pop mitigation right away, because if your healer spams holy then enemies will barely get any attacks off until a good ways into the fight when they eventually become immune to stun.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The following isn't always true and is especially not true at low levels (<50), but: most dungeons will be paced as 2 trash packs > 2 trash packs > boss > repeat, with each pair of packs taking ~1 minute (assuming you pull both, which you absolutely should), and each boss taking ~2-3 minutes.

This means you can rely on a 1 minute cooldown like Reprisal being available every trash pack, a 90s or 2 minute cooldown like Rampart, Arm's Length and your job's 30% reduction every other trash pack, and your invulnerability once per boss section (Warrior, Dark Knight) or every other boss section (Gunbreaker, Paladin).

A generic cooldown plan for a generic segment in a generic dungeon is therefore something like:
- Pack 1+2: Your 30%, then your job's misc cooldown + Reprisal after that ends.
- Pack 3+4: Rampart + Arm's Length, then Reprisal after that ends.
- Boss: eh, whatever. If it casts something that sounds tankbustery, press a button.

Wait to activate cooldowns until you've actually planted yourself and are being attacked (e.g. the White Mage stuns are mostly over). You take little damage running between packs, especially if you hit Sprint before pulling the first pack. Don't stand around hitting the first pack in a pair, just aoe once or maybe twice while running through.

For invulnerabilities specifically:
- If your invuln is available and you're not a warrior, intentionally use your invuln in lieu of other cooldowns early on the 2nd set of packs, then on whatever trash comes next when they come off cooldown. Do not sit on invulnerabilities waiting for some perfect emergency where it will maybe save the day: treat them as just another part of your standard cooldown rotation.
- Even when planned you still want to use invulns when at least somewhat injured. Most of them work better when you've hit 1 HP in some way, and even for the one that doesn't it's still better to have a health deficit that can be recovered while you're not being hit.
- Warrior's Holmgang is generally an exception since it's pretty bad outside of raids and Warrior has a ton of easier bullshit that lets them become immortal: a warrior can tank nearly every dungeon after level 56 without taking an external heal at any point.
- Dark Knight's Living Dead is extremely good: the cooldown is pretty short and it's strong enough to basically lock you at full health for 10 seconds if you trigger it on trash, but since you need to "die" for it to trigger some healers will decide to spam heals on you to prevent this from happening. As a result sometimes the Living Dead buff will run out with you at 10% HP and the healer at 0% MP. There's not a ton you can do about it if the healer wants to make their own life difficult, just try to have something available to survive when the debuff drops.
- Gunbreaker's Superbolide is pretty easy to use, the only thing to note is that it's more efficient to drop low-ish before using it. Activation isn't instant, so trigger it at 20%-30% health or so. Sometimes you'll have a White Mage decide to use their heal-to-full just before you use your drop-to-1 instead of the other way around, but unlike DRK's that's not your problem.
- Paladin's Hallowed Ground is extremely simple, just grab a bunch of baddies, press button, then stand in all the ground markers while shouting about being a golden god. The only weakness is the 7 minute cooldown, but that's still at least 2 pulls in every dungeon that you should just trivialize.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
re: tanking --- Sheltron seems painful to use like yet another mitigation, due to short duration and easy overcap; any tips?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

OddObserver posted:

re: tanking --- Sheltron seems painful to use like yet another mitigation, due to short duration and easy overcap; any tips?

just use it on cooldown against trash. Against bosses, use it before tank busters. (Where tankbusters are isn't always obvious, but if a red icon appears over your head that's definitely a buster, and if the boss is doing a scary-sounding attack name, it might be a buster)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

PRO TIP: White Mages get HOLY at level 45, which is an AoE attack that STUNS all enemies. If you have a WHM healer, maybe DON'T pop mitigation right away, because if your healer spams holy then enemies will barely get any attacks off until a good ways into the fight when they eventually become immune to stun.

Be careful with this! The Holy stun is only 3 seconds and has severe diminishing returns. Personally I don't think that level of micro is necessary for pulls. Also there's a chance your whm is inattentive and doesn't get all the mobs with the Holy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

I guess it's not intuitive that something that makes you take less damage and something that makes enemies deal less damage occupy the same level of "mitigation".

It's this. But the math makes perfect sense and Xerophytes explanation is pretty great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah if you need double mitigation to make things easier for trash just do it. You get the hang of it once you have more of your defensive toolbox down the line anyways.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cheetah7071 posted:

just use it on cooldown against trash. Against bosses, use it before tank busters. (Where tankbusters are isn't always obvious, but if a red icon appears over your head that's definitely a buster, and if the boss is doing a scary-sounding attack name, it might be a buster)

Yeah, just pop Sheltron like candy, although it shouldn't be your only mitigation; there's no reason not to, given how fast that gauge builds up. All the tanks eventually get short-cooldown mits like that, and you should be using them all basically on CD, especially since they get better as you level.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

theres pretty little reason to not stack cooldowns, the diminishing returns thing barely ends up mattering because stacking them lets them come back up sooner anyways

dont let sheltrons guage fool you, 5 gauge every auto works out to around the same 25s (a little quicker if you stay in auto attack range the whole time), so its quite spammable ultimately

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SettingSun posted:

Be careful with this! The Holy stun is only 3 seconds and has severe diminishing returns. Personally I don't think that level of micro is necessary for pulls. Also there's a chance your whm is inattentive and doesn't get all the mobs with the Holy.

Yeah, but even if they don't get all the mobs, they'll probably get enough that you're not in danger of dropping dead if you don't have a mitigation on.

Or you can pop your mitigation like normal anyways; it doesn't really matter. But a team at level 56+ with both a Warrior and White Mage should basically never need to use heals during trash pulls.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm still not convinced normal Sheltron actually does anything but play an animation.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
There is a pretty pricey exception to the throw everything out of your inventory rule. You will receive one or two thavnairian onions during your questing. Those are used in leveling your chocobro past level 10 and go for about 100,000 a pop on the market board. Don't vendor or discard those.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve been watching this guy on YouTube to get an idea on the many classes

Is there any red flags about him

https://youtube.com/c/WeskAlber

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
WeskAlber is generally the go to guy for rotation videos at various level ranges. Never seen his stuff but he’s recommended a lot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched most of them . Dancer looks like the job for me . So pretty!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

euphronius posted:

I watched most of them . Dancer looks like the job for me . So pretty!

There is a video somewhere of someone doing the dancer moves in real life...(The dance moves, not the flying chakrams).

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sunday Morning posted:

There is a pretty pricey exception to the throw everything out of your inventory rule. You will receive one or two thavnairian onions during your questing. Those are used in leveling your chocobro past level 10 and go for about 100,000 a pop on the market board. Don't vendor or discard those.

One is from a very fast quest in ishgard, the other is a reward from the capstone quest line out of tail feather, in the second (third?) HW zone. You'll know if you get one, but if you're ignoring side quests like the op says to, you won't see these quests or the onions.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

My WHM tip - feel free to use swiftcast -> Holy on big trash pulls. You might intuitively want to save it in case the tank drops, but that's less likely to happen if you get right on the AoE stuns.

WHM puts out some pretty good damage too. The more+sooner you help kill stuff, the less damage you will need to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just did a run of the Great Gubal Library with two sprouts in the leveling roulette. They struggled with the mechanics, but we got through it after I explained how everything worked. Our BLM rage quit after a wipe on the last boss. We eventually got through it though and I was feeling super good about teaching the new guys the mechanics and getting through it in spite of 3-4 wipes.

Not a single commend. :(