Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw I didn’t like how grim dawn played. You can get it super cheap on sale though.

D2R plays great with a controller though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yesterday was my Steam Account Birthday! It just turned 19. And according to this site my account's "value" is $13,000~... god drat.

https://steamid.pro/

Also it breaks down the platform you've spent playing on. I have 6,784 hours on Windows and 220 hours on Linux, crazy to think I already put that much time into gaming on Linux.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Crazy Taxi is pretty awesome on the Deck but there’s no Offspring songs cause they didn’t wanna pay for the licensing…

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

Crazy Taxi is pretty awesome on the Deck but there’s no Offspring songs cause they didn’t wanna pay for the licensing…

Luckily, the Deck is a PC
https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2021/08/08/crazy-taxi-dreamcast-restoration-silentpatch/#download
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=964260789

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 5, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m sure that straddles the line into filez territory but I’m no expert.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The first link definitely doesn't, the content it restores is already in the game but disabled.
The second link maybe, but it's a link to Steam, on a community page controlled by Sega posted 5 years ago. idk if the links are still there though. (e: they are)

But also no one cares stop being a fuckin narc

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 5, 2022

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m sure that straddles the line into filez territory but I’m no expert.

it's 2022 no one cares any more

I know the three of us are all old as gently caress. poo poo I still hesitate before image leeching.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still upload stuff to imgur before linking it should I not bother anymore. When did that happen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chubby Henparty posted:

Scrolling through nextfest on my pc - was there a way to direct it to download to the steamdeck? I'm sure that used to be a thing. From the website version maybe?
When looking at the Nextfest I saw the new (recent?) "Add to Library" button for Demos and figured out that's what they were for, so at the very least I could add them to my library and then see them pop up in the "recent" feed on my deck as if they were recent purchases and download them there... it's not as good as being able to purchase games and demos on the Nintendo eShop website and have it automatically wake my Switch from sleep and start downloading it of course...

HOWEVER I found this button to not work at all...? Is it working for anyone else?

For example I'll click on the big blue "Add to Library" button

It will pop up a window to say it has been added

And then nothing...?

Nam Taf posted:

Same, which is why my steam account turned 19 two weeks ago. I celebrated it turning 18 last year by sharing a beer with it and reflecting on the fact that you can practice the same game for nearly 2 decades and get actively get worse at it over that time.
As you get older you can blame it on reaction time just naturally getting worse as you age. That is what I tell myself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Doesn't seem to show my game collection, but apparently I've had my Steam account since 2008. Never would've guessed!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just to save some effort has anyone gotten the Retroarch ds settings right to pop the screens to a monitor each? If not I'll post what I manage lol

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I almost have enough saved for the lowest priced model! In a few months my old rear end is retired and I really hope to buy myself a steamdeck as a retirement gift!

I plan to play Project Zomboid and Darkest Dungeon. I take it they both run well on the deck? Even more with tons of mods?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Biggest problem I've had with the emudeck setup is that I'm an idiot who dumped the No-Intro GB/GBC/GBA/NES/SNES/N64/GEN/GG sets in and it predictably created 12,000 games and because it's a ROM set there are 20 versions of certain games and the game list doesn't keep that name.

This is entirely my fault. I wonder if there's a way to have it just boot the emulator with a file list, akin to starting a console with a flash cart. More stuff to read.

sigher posted:

Yesterday was my Steam Account Birthday! It just turned 19. And according to this site my account's "value" is $13,000~... god drat.

Also it breaks down the platform you've spent playing on. I have 6,784 hours on Windows and 220 hours on Linux, crazy to think I already put that much time into gaming on Linux.
:haw:

April 25, 2009 was my account date; I suspect this was right around one of the really big Orange Box sales. TF2 was a lot of fun back then.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SCheeseman posted:

I still upload stuff to imgur before linking it should I not bother anymore. When did that happen.

probably like a decade ago

we old bro

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
lol I just checked the forums rules link and they still say to

"Keep all images smaller than 800 pixels horizontal and 600 pixels vertical"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

loving Moron posted:

I almost have enough saved for the lowest priced model! In a few months my old rear end is retired and I really hope to buy myself a steamdeck as a retirement gift!

I plan to play Project Zomboid and Darkest Dungeon. I take it they both run well on the deck? Even more with tons of mods?

I googled for you since I haven't tried it and it looks like DD is working pretty well, including mods, so I might give that a try.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

loving Moron posted:

You have enough saved for retirement but don't have enough saved for a Steamdeck?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Grey posted:

You have enough saved for retirement but don't have enough saved for a Steamdeck?

lol not to income shame but yeah maybe this guy should keep working a bit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bum the Sad posted:

lol I just checked the forums rules link and they still say to

"Keep all images smaller than 800 pixels horizontal and 600 pixels vertical"

Guess I have a lot of probating to do.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

The Grey posted:

Mrs. Moron keeps the spending on a tight leash if not I buy some really loving dumb poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm still not sure what's up with old video games re: Archive.org. It's OK to reference Wayback, all the magazine scans, even linking to their web-based emulators appears to be fine? But no mention of the fact that they have ɛ̷̧̍ʋ̸͈͊ɛ̸̹̀ʀ̸͔̾ʏ̵̲͗ ̴̨͝ʋ̸͓͌ɨ̷̬̚ɖ̷̘̍ɛ̶̰̓օ̸̥̂ ̴̨̒ɢ̷̳̉ǟ̷͖̅ʍ̷̨̊ɛ̶̘́ ̵̌͜ք̷̪͐ʀ̸͙͗ɨ̵̮̈́օ̷̗̈́ʀ̵͖̆ ̵̩̚ȶ̴̪̓օ̸̛̜ ̴͈̿ք̴͉͝ֆ̸̻̃4̷̼̅/̴͍͝Ӽ̴̟̀ɮ̵̙̈́օ̵̹̎ռ̸̩͝ɛ̵͉̚ ̷̜̀ɨ̵̡̀ֆ̴̫͝ ̴̭͋ȶ̴̼͒ɦ̷̻͒ɛ̷͊ͅʀ̷̦̈ɛ̶͉͋ ̶̙̌ȶ̴̤̈́օ̵̱͆ ̸̬͊ɖ̴̮͑օ̸̟̆ա̸̦͊ռ̵̗̇ʟ̸̩̽օ̵̦͘ǟ̷̗̚ɖ̶̠́ ̷̣̓ʄ̵͕͐օ̷̼͑ʀ̷̗̀ ̴̨̇ǟ̸̮̉ռ̵̠̎ʏ̸̞͝օ̶̻̓ռ̴̅ͅɛ̴͎̓ ̴̱̑ա̶̧̛ɨ̴̼͒ȶ̵̛̫ɦ̴͔͛ ̴̤͠ǟ̸̘̇ ̵̙̽ʄ̸̤̍ʀ̷̫̄ɛ̴̙̈́ɛ̸̺͋ ̵͈̅ǟ̵̱̑ƈ̷̳͒ƈ̴̠̀օ̸̥̒ʊ̸͖͒ռ̷͈̂ȶ̶͔̏.̶͚̃ or to the dungeons with you. It's a terribly kept secret.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No one gives a gently caress anymore. Archive.org is the biggest piracy website on the internet right now, and the best place to find the Switch and PS3 games that all the people itt talking about emulation are definitely downloading and not backing up from their legit copies. Why worry.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sigher posted:

:stare:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mega64 posted:

Guess I have a lot of probating to do.

Rules is rules

this is 1169 pixels wide, that's a probe

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

I'm still not sure what's up with old video games re: Archive.org.
It's pretty simple: they will take down content if the rights holder files a DMCA claim and can prove they're the rights holder. But since users can just reupload a slightly different version of the same content it's a cat-mouse game and nothing is ever gone that long. This is above board with the current DMCA safe harbor provisions.

Most other sites fall into the other extremes: either they're blatant piracy sites that ignore DMCA claims and make significant advertising revenue (which Nintendo occasionally sues into oblivion), or they're sites that--afraid of Nintendo--permaban users if any of their content results in a DMCA claim regardless of the legitimacy of the claim.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RBA Starblade posted:

Just to save some effort has anyone gotten the Retroarch ds settings right to pop the screens to a monitor each? If not I'll post what I manage lol

So I think this might be 3ds and Wii U specific. At least I can't seem to through Retroarch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't think Retroarch can do that. Citra can't do that for 3DS either tbh, people just make a screen layout so its single window is real big and spills over onto the other monitor. Not sure if you can even do that much in Retroarch though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's pretty simple: they will take down content if the rights holder files a DMCA claim and can prove they're the rights holder. But since users can just reupload a slightly different version of the same content it's a cat-mouse game and nothing is ever gone that long. This is above board with the current DMCA safe harbor provisions.

Most other sites fall into the other extremes: either they're blatant piracy sites that ignore DMCA claims and make significant advertising revenue (which Nintendo occasionally sues into oblivion), or they're sites that--afraid of Nintendo--permaban users if any of their content results in a DMCA claim regardless of the legitimacy of the claim.

Yeah maybe, except there are complete romsets that have been untouched for years now and regularly get updated. I have a script running on my NAS that pings the categories each month and pulls down anything new, its so reliable you can automate it easily (IA even supplies the tools/API!).

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So it sounds like it’s not hard to find roms then? I’m thinking one of the first things I’m going to try is getting a big sd card and putting emulators (emudexk is what people use?) on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So it sounds like it’s not hard to find roms then? I’m thinking one of the first things I’m going to try is getting a big sd card and putting emulators (emudexk is what people use?) on it.

https://www.emudeck.com

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just go to vimms lair :shrug:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well this is annoying, Control was running just fine on my Steam Deck last night, but now it's making it freeze up right when the game launches, forcing me to hard reset the thing, anyone have any idea what the problem is, cause if I have to reinstall it I am going to be so mad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My SteamDeck will arrive this Saturday. :toot:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Ended up uninstalling and reinstalling Control, now it's working, I have no idea why it just randomly broke on me?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The RDR2 dream is alive and makes me love my deck that much more. It’s a drat good looking game.

If they let me play destiny 2 on this stupid thing (no dual boot) it would be perfect.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

I said come in! posted:

My SteamDeck will arrive this Saturday. :toot:

Mine too :sickos:

They must've received a huge batch, i'm glad orders are getting fulfilled and these idiots trying to resell them go away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So it sounds like it’s not hard to find roms then?

Easiest thing in the world. Just search the game you want followed by the word ROM on any search engine.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

sigher posted:

my account is 19 years old next week jesus christ

edit: my forums account turned 19 last july :negative:

Tweak fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 5, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
For the month of Halloween I'm playing Silent Hill 4 on this baby and the experience has been pretty much flawless (lackluster game combat notwithstanding). I'm realizing just how much this game embedded in my head and my deep seated fears back then, and how little it scares me by comparison today. I'm already further into the game than I ever made it then in '04 due to easily powering through sections that once terrified and confused me. It's kind of therapeutic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Truga posted:

steam greenlight didn't even start until 2013 or somesuch, and steam didn't get flooded with shovelware until a couple years after that, even

being an indie on steam before that was a p. big deal

Ok, so what you were referring to wasn't the exclusivity of very early Steam (e.g. 2004) in a bad way, but the pre-shovelware exclusivity in a good way. Makes sense, but that wasn't clear from what you wrote.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The other side of digital distribution is that, back in 2004 there were very real concerns about not actually "owning" anything and services could go belly-up at any time. Which, frankly, many services did.

I only started purchasing digital content when sales made them so cheap I couldn't really care about their long term viability--things like Humble Bundles and mobile games before that market went to complete trash. Even now I don't really like purchasing Nintendo games digitally, even though I've bought plenty on the eShop, becuase Nintendo has twice now nuked their past digital stores and there's no assurances they won't do it again.

In this context, that Steam has been operating for nearly two decades without a "do over" and titles purchased back in 2004 are still supported, it's outlived the longevity of many physical media formats, even.

At this point, Steam is the most stable platform, and is the least likely to disappear.

While Steam is probably the best place to acquire PC games, and it's made disc-free gaming a reality, the Switch is a different story. I try to get as many games as possible on cartridges for it because of the storage situation (i.e. you can only add one, fairly expensive SD card, so I want to avoid filling it up with downloaded games if at all possible.)

Harminoff posted:

I got Half Life (I think 2?) for free with my video card and had to set up steam. That was... 18y., 9m ago. drat

That was definitely HL2, my friend; HL1 is from all the way back in 1998! :eyepop: (And I still have my original, boxed copy!)

Tweak posted:

I dont remember what dumb reason I had for not wanting to use steam when it first came out but I needed it to play CS with the boys so alas it was necessary

Anyone else remember pre-retail CS (version 1.6?) Remember the speed hack shortly after that? :suicide:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was 12 when HL2 came out and I remember crying because Steam was a massive pile of poo poo and it genuinely took 14 hours to install and update steam over our 56k connection.

drat, dial-up was miserable in the '90s, even I had a cable modem by the time HL2 released!