Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress the...
This poll is closed.
Cowboys 82 42.05%
Commanders (really, that's the name?) 38 19.49%
Giants 29 14.87%
Eagles 46 23.59%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/PFF_Moo/status/1576888701732339712?s=20&t=72llEwzZ9c-7ddPIxoH6PQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what the gently caress is BTT/TWP

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

indigi posted:

They mention sack rate, so maybe it's a variation of WAP?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What's Wentz soak against replacement?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

indigi posted:

Paging Blarghz to the thread.

E

Big time throws, BTT, are passes of the highest end of both difficulty and value. While turnover-worthy plays, TWP, are passes that have a high percentage chance to be intercepted or do a poor job of taking care of the ball and fumbling.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

BiggerBoat posted:

Paging Blarghz to the thread.

E

Big time throws, BTT, are passes of the highest end of both difficulty and value. While turnover-worthy plays, TWP, are passes that have a high percentage chance to be intercepted or do a poor job of taking care of the ball and fumbling.

:catstare:

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i do not care for the baseballification of stats in the NFL

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's because they aren't predicative, regression significant, or even possible to truly track. Big time throws could fall incomplete or complete for a myriad of reasons and then change based on personnel. It's the dumbest attempt to make people feel smart in football and everyone just eats it up with a spoon.

Just look at N/V. You can make a 10 paragraph post analyzing someone and it gets drowned out immediately by a bunch of morons posting twitter stats. It's awful. Ruined this forum too.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They feel as useful as roulette analytics

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doltos posted:

It's because they aren't predicative, regression significant, or even possible to truly track. Big time throws could fall incomplete or complete for a myriad of reasons and then change based on personnel. It's the dumbest attempt to make people feel smart in football and everyone just eats it up with a spoon.

Just look at N/V. You can make a 10 paragraph post analyzing someone and it gets drowned out immediately by a bunch of morons posting twitter stats. It's awful. Ruined this forum too.

I’ll go back to posting nothing but gently caress Dallas if that’s still ok.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doltos posted:

I dunno I quite enjoy the back and forth between you and Blarzgh on the topic.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I dunno I quite enjoy the back and forth between you and Blarzgh on the topic.

I like it when Blarzgh puts in a lot of time and effort to make a post full of opinion or analysis, backed up by numbers and examples,

And then we all look at it and lol and call him an idiot for ever trying to effort post.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Our whole popular media society trends towards creating simulacrums and then living in the simulacrum. The new football stats go along with that trend

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've never looked into BIG TIME THROWS or bad throw percentages to see whether they're valuable information or NexGen Junk pimped out by the ghost of Chris Collinsworth, but now I will defend them with my life

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All of the “analysts” said jalen hurts would be bad and he is in fact good so .

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

euphronius posted:

All of the “analysts” said jalen hurts would be bad and he is in fact good so .

Ahh but these same analysts also said Carson Wentz is bad and he is in fact bad.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s just nice to see top tier equally gifted amateur analysis from so many folks in the thread. Helps an outsider learn about these teams.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought Hurts would be good. I posted as such last year. Didn't expect this much of an improvement so soon, but whatever. Time to see if it's sustainable!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ll go back to posting nothing but gently caress Dallas if that’s still ok.

This is always okay and has never not been okay.

gently caress the Cowboys.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My metrics for players consists of winning me super bowls, not gross right wing politics, and mouth feel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

epic bacon posted:

i do not care for the baseballification of stats in the NFL

I enjoy it sometimes but it doesn't really fit the way it does with baseball, which is far more easy to isolate measurements of that sort. In football, there are 11 (22) moving parts on every play and on every one of them, just ONE GUY loving up can blow up the whole thing in ways that aren't as simple to diagnose as "that pitcher hung a curve ball right through the middle of the strike zone".

With baseball, probably 90% of every outcome comes down to essentially two people that are framed in the center of our TV screen. In football, how do we know if that was a really lovely pass or the WR broke the wrong way or some poo poo? We can isolate some of it but not the same way.

blarzgh posted:

I've never looked into BIG TIME THROWS or bad throw percentages to see whether they're valuable information or NexGen Junk pimped out by the ghost of Chris Collinsworth, but now I will defend them with my life

Well, we'll never really be ascertain their value or true meaning to the game until we can figure out if Dak Prescott is good at them or not. If he rates in the top 5/10, I have a feeling it's a very significant stat.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 5, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So what's the deal with the Cardinals? Why are people discounting then so much this season? Just curious since the unbeaten Eagles are flying there this week and people seem to assume it's an easy W.

Main thing I know of them is we traded Ertz to them to give him a chance on a contender and they seemed to fall apart as the season wound down.

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
The general buzz on sports radio around the (Philly) region is that the Eagles have been dogshit every time they play in AZ the last few years. I kind of look at this game the same way- the team is good, but there's still room for improvement, and I think the 4-0 record is a little bit misleading, especially with how they almost dropped the Lions game.

I'll be a little more convinced that the team is legitimately good seeing how they stack up against Dallas in a few weeks.

(gently caress Dallas, btw)

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Off the top of my head, the Eagles have consistently been better than AZ every time they have played them away, but yet they still managed to lose. I don’t think the Cards are particularly good this year, and yet…

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not NFCE related but a cool article I found about 'back from the dead' QB's that's centered around Geno Smith but also touches on Cunningham and Vick. Also Steve Young. blarzgh might dig it at least. I was surprised not to see Jim Plunkett, Doug Flutie and Doug Williams mentioned in there but I don't think the study went back that far. I thought of Foles too who had a famous TD/INT stat one year under Chip Kelly and then won the Super Bowl but the study is looking at seasons, not short runs like that.

Also not conference related but a cool piece of trivia I'm gonna use. Who holds the Bears single season record for TD's and YDS in a single season? No one will get it.

Eric Kramer

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

iamsosmrt posted:

So what's the deal with the Cardinals? Why are people discounting then so much this season? Just curious since the unbeaten Eagles are flying there this week and people seem to assume it's an easy W.

Main thing I know of them is we traded Ertz to them to give him a chance on a contender and they seemed to fall apart as the season wound down.

The Cardinals average 4 first half points a game, Kliff is a moron, and the entire gameplan is "Kyler, go do something"

The Cardinals suck

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, we'll never really be ascertain their value or true meaning to the game until we can figure out if Dak Prescott is good at them or not. If he rates in the top 5/10, I have a feeling it's a very significant stat.

This fucker has learned my secret!!!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Not NFCE related but a cool article I found about 'back from the dead' QB's that's centered around Geno Smith but also touches on Cunningham and Vick. Also Steve Young. blarzgh might dig it at least. I was surprised not to see Jim Plunkett, Doug Flutie and Doug Williams mentioned in there but I don't think the study went back that far. I thought of Foles too who had a famous TD/INT stat one year under Chip Kelly and then won the Super Bowl but the study is looking at seasons, not short runs like that.

Also not conference related but a cool piece of trivia I'm gonna use. Who holds the Bears single season record for TD's and YDS in a single season? No one will get it.

Eric Kramer

My guess was Cutler

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BiggerBoat posted:

Eric Kramer

I guessed Sid Luckman because lol Bears quarterbacks

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Commanders/status/1577357884899430400?s=20&t=la4Eyq8OOY3NOfAHZGCFBQ

Brave as hell for taking that job.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is what a competent front office does:

https://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/1577500375187423232?s=20&t=J4mWDeR99xVVsfRw-uRAYw

The Eagles are currently picking ahead of the Commanders.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

The Eagles are currently picking ahead of the Commanders.

Now for an added bonus, tell me that's because of the Carson Wentz trade

Howie is great and I never understand the majority of the criticism he often takes

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

he plays the long game (good+smart) and sports fans want now now now now (dumb+impossible)?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Now for an added bonus, tell me that's because of the Carson Wentz trade

Howie is great and I never understand the majority of the criticism he often takes

He’s gradually become more popular even in Philadelphia

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I still think he’s a schmuck that oftentimes gets so “clever” he doesn’t realize he didn’t replace his left foot or did but with something gangrenous

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When he first started years ago he was a boy wonder . That did not mix well with many traditional eagles fans. There was also imho some anti semitism issues boiling under the surface . They have gotten used to him over time tho. Winning a super bowl helped . But then there was a lot of eagles fans who for some reason wanted to keep Wentz over Hurts . Now that in hindsight that issue has resolved and it was clear that howie was right he’s gotten even more good vibes .

Pointing out that eagles fans are not a monolith . I am referring tho to the large group of suburban white fans that for better or worse tends to define the eagles fan

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 5, 2022

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Howie is really good at “re-tooling” the roster when their needs to be an overhaul. After periods of sustained success, he seems to struggle in trying to make the right decisions, especially in the draft. They get a little guilty of huffing their own farts before they “stick to the draft board.” Seems to happen cyclically every few years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s just the way the nfl is tho unless you have Tom Brady .

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

But then there was a lot of eagles fans who for some reason wanted to keep Wentz over Hurts .

Man, gently caress

This sentence took me back & chilled me to the bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

euphronius posted:

Pointing out that eagles fans are not a monolith . I am referring tho to the large group of suburban white fans that for better or worse tends to define the eagles fan

Ah yes, WIP callers.