Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Elissimpark posted:

Our 18mo has had a mullet, kinda like a blonde version of the dude from the Chats, for a few months because he let me trim the sides then ran away before I could do the rest.

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My phone's pedometer clocked five miles for me yesterday. I did not leave the house.

I did, however, walk around the kitchen for a couple hours bouncing a two month old who would only stop crying when she was eating.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
We were staying at my in-laws and I ready kid a book, and he snuck out of the room to come downstairs and whisper in my ear "you forgot to pray for me". So it turns out they pray over him every night after reading him a book and I was a little pissed. I don't want that evangelical poo poo in his life. So I took him upstairs and said God isn't real, it's a nice story that they like, and we can do something other than prayer. Made up a prayer alternative on the spot. "I'm glad, I wish, I hope, I love". Just listing things that happened recently we want to think on, and giving him a lot of support. Prayer really is a nice ritual in that it can be a really loving way to reflect on what's happening around you.

So that's convo 1 out of infinity that I'll need to have with him, and I might have to have a couple hard conversations with my in-laws and my parents.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My kid seems to have figured out how to get around the Unhook youtube blocker extension. Hopefully there's some other solution that doesn't include throwing the laptop into the sea.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AxGrap posted:

We were staying at my in-laws and I ready kid a book, and he snuck out of the room to come downstairs and whisper in my ear "you forgot to pray for me". So it turns out they pray over him every night after reading him a book and I was a little pissed. I don't want that evangelical poo poo in his life. So I took him upstairs and said God isn't real, it's a nice story that they like, and we can do something other than prayer. Made up a prayer alternative on the spot. "I'm glad, I wish, I hope, I love". Just listing things that happened recently we want to think on, and giving him a lot of support. Prayer really is a nice ritual in that it can be a really loving way to reflect on what's happening around you.

So that's convo 1 out of infinity that I'll need to have with him, and I might have to have a couple hard conversations with my in-laws and my parents.

Jesus (sic), that's pretty wild. It really sounds like something you need to be upfront with the grandparents about now rather than later. The more ingrained the habit of, the harder it will be to break, especially for the grandparents.

I went to a Christian daycare apparently, and one day when I was like 2-3 I decided to ask "mom, do we believe in God?" My mom, being an old Marxist, said "no", to which my response was "good".
No moral, just a good story about kids and religion.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

One of my kids had diarrhea so bad I have to go buy a new toilet seat :barf:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wife is reading a charlie brown christmas to our kid and for some reason the part charlie doesn't get any mail is very distressing, my kid is like "no mail! no mail! charlie no mail!" what a weirdo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The four year old, despite not having seen Frozen, has developed specific and passionate opinions on "Elsa and Anna" via osmosis at school. Specifically, she subscribes to the theory that Anna has "fire powers," which as I understand it is not textually supported and appears to be the QAnon of the preschool set.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid has never seen naruto as far as i know, we certainly have not shown it to him, but he somehow has picked up naruto running. it rocks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Another Bill posted:

One of my kids had diarrhea so bad I have to go buy a new toilet seat :barf:

Now my experience is limited but aren't toilet seats usually wipe-clean plastic? Just how powerful was this jet of diarrhea?

My 1yo had gastroenteritis last week and the diarrhea was so bad I had to wash clothes in the toilet bowl for fear of blocking up the sink or bath drains with chunky bumsludge. But thankfully have not had to replace any furniture or fittings.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

C-SPAM > [C-SPAM Parents] chunky bumsludge

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Microplastics posted:

Now my experience is limited but aren't toilet seats usually wipe-clean plastic? Just how powerful was this jet of diarrhea?

My 1yo had gastroenteritis last week and the diarrhea was so bad I had to wash clothes in the toilet bowl for fear of blocking up the sink or bath drains with chunky bumsludge. But thankfully have not had to replace any furniture or fittings.

[to the tune of Apocalypse Now]
The hinges.... the hinges.....

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kiddo bringing home a cold from preschool and passing it around succckksssss

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

yeah that happens for about a full year. then it happens again in kindergarten.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MacheteZombie posted:

yep, mine has been sick for a few days. 3 days of antigen testing later she’s negative still but we’re going to dr today to see if it’s an ear infection. throw in a PCR while we’re there.

I got all of our covid mitigation devices running so we’ll see if anybody else gets whatever is going on. my kid did cough in my spouses mouth so fingers crossed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dear C-SPAM parents how do I tell if my brain is fried because of (Long?) COVID or if it's fried by having a six-month old who has decided that he hates sleep?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Dear C-SPAM parents how do I tell if my brain is fried because of (Long?) COVID or if it's fried by having a six-month old who has decided that he hates sleep?

yes

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

C-Euro posted:

almost certainly the lack of sleep brother

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

our kid had colic and we didn’t sleep for almost a year it was the absolute worst hell but it does eventually pass. I mean I still don’t sleep much but that’s just being a parent

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

C-Euro posted:

hey at 6 months I was rocking my baby to sleep and decided to read a sleep training book and that was the beginning of sleep

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

This book was a loving godsend and had our kid sleeping uninterrupted overnight after a few months.

Also I don't need my copy anymore so pm me and I'll send it to you.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My 5-year-old told me she felt sick and asked for a covid test. She did have a slight fever so I administered a rapid test, which came back negative. When I gave her the results, she looked so deflated.

"What's the matter?"
She threw her arms up in the air theatrically and yelled "We're NEVER going to get two lines!"
"You.....want to be sick with covid?"
"Yeah." She flopped onto the bed and sighed.
"Huh. Well, it'll probably happen at some point so, just be patient, I guess?"
"Fiiiine."

Well at least one of us is enjoying the pandemic

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

sonatinas posted:

hey at 6 months I was rocking my baby to sleep and decided to read a sleep training book and that was the beginning of sleep

This worked extremely well with my oldest

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid was a very bad sleeper until he got weaned at around 1 year old, then he was perfect, beautiful, going right to sleep precisely at 7 pm and sleeping for 12 hours straight through............... until august when he got sick a few times. while sick it was understandable he would wake up a lot, he was in a lot of pain, but he's perfectly healthy now and has seemingly lost the will or ability to sleep through the night most days. sometimes he only wakes up once which is difficult but tolerable. last night he woke up four times :qq:

he's two and a half! this poo poo should be over by now! we are going to be hosed if he's still doing this in december when the next kid is going to be born lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
We weren't going to sleep train.

But after 10 months, when my wife went back to work, we were quickly driven insane by the constant sleep interruptions and sleep trained the little fucker.

Best thing we ever did

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I've had friends who are anti sleep training and listened to their arguments and I just don't buy it.
Sure if the kid is sick or otherwise needs attention you gotta do it, but removing yourself and your comforting from the equation gives the kid the opportunity to figure out their own self soothing techniques and seems to help everyone involved. Also I am a staunch supporter of practices that give relief to the parent, it's hard to be helpful and present if you are braindead.

Our first kid was accidentally sleep trained when we spent a week at the inlaws, and the kids room was just far enough away that we could sleep through his fussing, then magically he fell into good habits (which we still had to struggle to maintain).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I always rec Precious Little Sleep as a sleep resource. We were able to sleep-train, as in teach our daughter to go to sleep, without having to Sleep-Train, as in sit there for hours while she screamed bloody murder.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also RE hair, our daughter is two and still has never had a haircut. Her hair is super curly (mine is too, but didn't actually get curly until college which is weird in retrospect) so it still only reaches shoulder-length or so when it's dry. My wife is really into curly-hair care now, she finds it novel I guess. She keeps talking about something called "the curly girl method"; I'm assuming it's a cult of some kind

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Our girl is ten weeks old but of course another dogshit part about preterm birth is the adjusted timeline, so we're only just starting the ramp up into peak colic and still have to feed every 2-3 hours. Wife and I have a pretty decent shift system at night so I'm still getting ~5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, but it would be cool to eventually share a bed with her again one day. Sleep training feels impossibly distant.

sonatinas posted:

I read this as the book helped put you to sleep.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Microplastics posted:

We weren't going to sleep train.

But after 10 months, when my wife went back to work, we were quickly driven insane by the constant sleep interruptions and sleep trained the little fucker.

Best thing we ever did

our girl wouldn't sleep in her crib so we went for it around 5 and a half months. worked perfectly, although the first night was absolute hell with me sitting beside her crib trying to soothe her while she cried for 4 hours straight.

the next night she went to sleep after 6 minutes. She's now an amazing napper and while she's regressed at times (which I guess isn't unusual, there's a sleep regression around 8 or 9 months I think?) she eventually gets back to sleeping through the night as long as we stick with the same routine.

from what I understand you can't really sleep train until they're 4-5 months old, but you can lay some of the groundwork by teaching the newborn night/day cycle by turning lights on during the day and having everything dark at night, having a dark room at a comfortable temperature, white noise machine etc.

My wife read some article about pro and anti-sleep training and the anti-sleep training seems to be driven by social media clickbait poo poo. there's absolutely no reason to suffer from sleep deprivation if you can help it.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Oct 5, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Really not looking forward to having to do the newborn phase again but the relief once it's over and I realize I never have to do it again will be p sweet

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

loquacius posted:

Also RE hair, our daughter is two and still has never had a haircut. Her hair is super curly (mine is too, but didn't actually get curly until college which is weird in retrospect) so it still only reaches shoulder-length or so when it's dry. My wife is really into curly-hair care now, she finds it novel I guess. She keeps talking about something called "the curly girl method"; I'm assuming it's a cult of some kind

my wife got super into this too and when she found out my hair is naturally curly I became a test bed for all sorts of techniques

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

Really not looking forward to having to do the newborn phase again but the relief once it's over and I realize I never have to do it again will be p sweet

People talk about how bad the newborn phase is, but I really think people don't emphasize exactly how bad it can be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If your kiddo has curly hair (or you do and don't know this) a satin/silk pillowcase is really good for their hair. Helps maintain curls/fight frizz

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter still utterly refuses to sleep with a pillow or blanket; I have become convinced we are going to send her to college with a twin-xl-sized sleep sack

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think the newborn phase for baby #2 will be much, much easier for us this time around because i will actually be able to take parental leave, and also because it won't be the first month of covid so my wife's mom will actually be able to come stay with us for a few months. still going to suck though lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

My daughter still utterly refuses to sleep with a pillow or blanket; I have become convinced we are going to send her to college with a twin-xl-sized sleep sack

Mine just started enjoying having a blanket, she's 3.

We didn't sleep train so it was a lot of nursing and rocking to get her sleeping, but she also started getting through the night on her own just fine, only exception is when she fills her diaper. So once she was old enough it was laying her in her bed with her head on a pillow so she'd get accustomed to it.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Kid 2 is 1.5 years old and it really seems like for me that this is when the challenges change to something that I can handle a bit easier. She can kinda express herself, and can kinda understand our direction. This to me is when it starts getting fun and exhausting rather than just exhausting.

And yeah, kid 1's hair was only at his shoulder blades at 4.5 with no haircuts while I had a friend who was able to donate to locks of love twice by 3 years old. Kids are weird.

Gonna get silk pillowcases, ty

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
in addition to silk pillowcases, just don't brush curly hair. you gotta baby it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
like run a baby through it? weird