Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm 6' 3" and I don't think I've ever showered underneath a showerhead since I got this tall.

Maybe I just stay at cheap places.

Oh definitely same here. This place we stayed at was a converted basement and the actual ceiling of the shower was about eyebrow height for me, absolutely miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I added a label to my cat door.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Aw, you made him sad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PainterofCrap posted:

Aw, you made him sad.

Naw you can be depressed about being dumb pretty fast trust me

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The chainmail curtains are weirder to me.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

~Coxy posted:

The chainmail curtains are weirder to me.

They are to prevent sparks from burning your carpet, suggesting this was a working fireplace at one point.
We had them on our fireplace.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah those are common.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

lol

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I performed surgery on one of my bathrooms to raise the shower arm up about 8". Never actually got to use it before fully gutting that bathroom.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I feel like there's a cheaper solution to that problem.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mynameismud posted:

They are to prevent sparks from burning your carpet, suggesting this was a working fireplace at one point.
We had them on our fireplace.

My first apartment after I moved out of my parents' house had a wood-burning fireplace, flue and everything. Chain curtains, and glass sliding doors to help keep the cold out. Three storey building, every apartment had one. Place was a bit of a hole but I miss that fireplace.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Assuming this fireplace has been decommissioned anyway, my biggest problem with this is not choosing a black outlet/cover that would have been right next to this one at the store.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Phy posted:

My first apartment after I moved out of my parents' house had a wood-burning fireplace, flue and everything. Chain curtains, and glass sliding doors to help keep the cold out. Three storey building, every apartment had one. Place was a bit of a hole but I miss that fireplace.

I still have one on the lower level of my house. I love that fireplace and use it every winter. I need to replace the curtains and doors at some point, they're 50 years old and worn out. The chimney and flue on the other hand are in great shape.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the guy who came to inspect my fireplace said that a lot of the ones in this area were built with a single run of firebrick on the bottom. it doesn't get super cold here so they don't always see heavy use but when they do get used the heat transfers directly to the subflooring.

his most exciting inspection was one where the crawlspace was still smoldering from the previous fire.

he also told me that his family holds a viking funeral for their Christmas tree every year -- rigged with fireworks and plunked on a raft -- but one year they had to wait an extra month and the whole thing went off at once as they were trying to launch it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I feel like there's a cheaper solution to that problem.

I really should have taken more pictures. The fiberglass shower was mostly unsupported in the shower pan. No subfloor in that area, but there were some nailed down 2x8s. It's really for the best that the room was gutted.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can buy extension arms that raise the height of the showerhead. Or you can get one of those showerheads-on-a-hose things; when they're socketed into their holder, they raise up the height of the showerhead in a similar fashion. As a 6'5" person, I find them to be invaluable.

This. I did the handheld on a hose, which is very useful even if you don’t raise it, but will move the shower head when I remodel.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

... but will move the shower head when I remodel.

As someone who is 6'6", this was on the list for when I remodeled my bathroom and it is glorious. Nothing worse than a mid-body shower spray.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sure but what is poor Goliath to do? He and Andre The Giant live off welfare.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

skybolt_1 posted:

As someone who is 6'6", this was on the list for when I remodeled my bathroom and it is glorious. Nothing worse than a mid-body shower spray.

Lbj would disagree.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:five:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Haha I just made that my discord av.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What's with imgur making every photo on mobile browsers look like poo poo? I downloaded from the mobile site and then the desktop site, and the mobile version is markedly worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IMO the cat looks exceptionally bemused in the first photograph.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a thread for really cool construction? This isn't the right spot for this kick rear end stair rail

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a thread for really cool construction? This isn't the right spot for this kick rear end stair rail

Something makes me suspect that rail has killed at least children.

But it is cool.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

captkirk posted:

Something makes me suspect that rail has killed at least children.

But it is cool.

You forgot to put the number of children you think it has killed, so I am unable to determine if the railing is cool enough that it is still worth it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

to the contrary, that rail definitely has biblically accurate angel aesthetic

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

You forgot to put the number of children you think it has killed, so I am unable to determine if the railing is cool enough that it is still worth it.
I think they're implying it may also have killed adults. Presumably the quantity of children killed is as uncountable as it is certain.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Splicer posted:

I think they're implying it may also have killed adults. Presumably the quantity of children killed is as uncountable as it is certain.

If we don’t have the data then it is impossible to know if it is good or bad.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I honestly just got distracted halfway through typing the post.

I meant to type "at least three children"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

captkirk posted:

An acceptable cost, then.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

captkirk posted:

How many adults does that equal.

What's the conversion rate here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

captkirk posted:

Something makes me suspect that rail has killed broken the wrists of at least 3-children.

But it is cool.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/xx79yq/contractor_cut_through_floor_joist_as_a/

quote:

When I questioned him about it he said “don’t sweat it”, “it’s not load bearing” etc.
Not load bearing.

The floor joist.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nothing about that crawlspace is good.

Paper faced insulation should not be installed exposed as it is a fire hazard. It also is acting as a vapor barrier and I'm less clear if that's good or bad here.

Those joists are not very deep though! I wonder if the floor is especially bouncy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StormDrain posted:

Paper faced insulation should not be installed exposed as it is a fire hazard. It also is acting as a vapor barrier and I'm less clear if that's good or bad here.

Those joists are not very deep though! I wonder if the floor is especially bouncy.

I mean, it certainly is now.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

My joists are the same size. Yes, I live in a boxing ring. It bounces when my larger cats scamper through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Well I mean he is right, its not load bearing anymore. :dadjoke: