Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Notahippie posted:

Or any of the other ways this could go too, the idea of a god of excess and obsession is so much more interesting than just sex poo poo. I want to see people falling to Slaanesh because of anorexia, or obsessive interest in collecting kids toys, or a self-swallowing hikkikomori cycle or something like that. Anything where a normal interest becomes an obsession and then Slaanesh shows up to help it along. There's so much more interesting things you can do with that than most writers or gamers bother to experiment with.

a dude pushing a funko-pop katamari into battle
Gordon Gecko
homer simpson eternally eating donuts in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Notahippie posted:

Or any of the other ways this could go too, the idea of a god of excess and obsession is so much more interesting than just sex poo poo. I want to see people falling to Slaanesh because of anorexia, or obsessive interest in collecting kids toys, or a self-swallowing hikkikomori cycle or something like that. Anything where a normal interest becomes an obsession and then Slaanesh shows up to help it along. There's so much more interesting things you can do with that than most writers or gamers bother to experiment with.

That's the angle the Hedonists of Slaanesh went in AoS, where you have stuff like musicians that became so obsessed with making beautiful music that they willingly became living instruments" or duelists that live only for perfecting their sword fighting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Should I paint up my novitiates as bright as my gellerpox?
Of course you should.

Bonus points if you go full "red period" (no not like that that I'm sorry I'm trying to delete it) and paint the bases Goblin Green.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is this the KT thread?

I was excited to play in a KT narrative league at my local. It’s set up nicely, well organized, most of the dudes (and the one lady) playing are cool. However a new guy just uploaded his roster and the squad quirk for his sisters of battle is “The way they love the God Emperor appears to be Tainted(sic) by Slaanesh.”

Cool. Great. I’m sure this won’t get weird at all.

I hope so. I'm playing VG in a narrative league with friends, and I keep getting rolled. To be fair, I've only played two games ever.

At least I finally got my models in, and I can stop borrowing my friend's VG.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is this the KT thread?

I was excited to play in a KT narrative league at my local. It’s set up nicely, well organized, most of the dudes (and the one lady) playing are cool. However a new guy just uploaded his roster and the squad quirk for his sisters of battle is “The way they love the God Emperor appears to be Tainted(sic) by Slaanesh.”

Cool. Great. I’m sure this won’t get weird at all.

Fingers crossed you're playing against this guy

https://youtu.be/qvWGMBJvkCo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Slaanesh corrupted sisters that are indistinguishable from regular ones except that the Repentia are all Necromunda Goliaths painted in high gloss

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Slaanesh corrupted sisters that are indistinguishable from regular ones except that the Repentia are all Necromunda Goliaths painted in high gloss

Old goliaths. The plastic ones dressed in S&M leather gear.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Vostroyan Guard?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Vostroyan Guard?

Veteran Guardsmen, and this time around they are the death korps of krieg, which is neat considering they were previously a forge world only model set (read: very expensive).

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Legit Businessman posted:

I hope so. I'm playing VG in a narrative league with friends, and I keep getting rolled. To be fair, I've only played two games ever.

At least I finally got my models in, and I can stop borrowing my friend's VG.

From my limited (2 months of playing) experience veteran guardsmen can be crazy strong but they are probably least "smooth brain" factionin the game so they do require a lot from the pilot

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

From my limited (2 months of playing) experience veteran guardsmen can be crazy strong but they are probably least "smooth brain" factionin the game so they do require a lot from the pilot

Dang. I'm like smooth as glass. Any tips for a brand new player? I have the "Guardsmen Choke the enemy with the bodies of their dead" down pretty pat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Play for objectives very aggressively, particularly in the last two rounds. Group activations and extra APL can help you steal points. You don't score for surviving operatives, so don't feel bad about trading mooks for advantage.*

*May not apply for campaign play.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I always wanted to do a Slaanesh-corrupted Musclebunch Goliath gang. All oiled up and rippling :blush:

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Overall, being aggressive seems to be key to guard. You want to claim objectives early and start scoring (it also helps with your tac ops from security archetype). And people start to panic when psycho with meltagun is suddenly in their face

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What do VG do in the face of other aggressive teams? Stuff like Legionaries seems like they would be more than happy to jump into the mix with them, and the Butcher especially seems very mean against a big mass of guardsmen, but they must have some way of handling it because VG wins tournaments pretty often despite Legionaries being the most popular kill team by far.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Are they tho? Because if they make mistake and guard player manages to trade evenly with them they are done for. With 6 dudes you have to be conservative with your dudes - seen this playing as admech against them. If you manage to po 1-2 dudes early on they are kinda stuck.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you engage the Guard in close quarters, you need to make sure you don't immediately eat plasma on their next activation. The Guard has more activations, so they can move to retaliate after the Legionary player commits their dudes.

Edit: But obviously the opposite can also happen. The Guard player must make sure to provide cover for the aggressive units, or they'll get mulched. It's all very chess-y.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 5, 2022

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What do VG do in the face of other aggressive teams? Stuff like Legionaries seems like they would be more than happy to jump into the mix with them, and the Butcher especially seems very mean against a big mass of guardsmen, but they must have some way of handling it because VG wins tournaments pretty often despite Legionaries being the most popular kill team by far.

VetGuard are really good at focus fire and synergizing. They have a lot of bodies and a few ploys that lean hard into the synergy piece. As Silvola said, they're very chessy and surprisingly forgiving, considering a stiff breeze will kill a VetGuard and out damage their lasguns, as well

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
2 special weapons guys can get buffed by the radio operator to have 3AP so they can do pop up attacks moving, shooting and dashing back into cover. 'Take aim' makes plasma pretty safe by allowing you to reroll the 1s

Edit: sorry, I forgot veteran guard were their own team, i have only played vs compendium guard team with scions.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Refind Chaos posted:

VetGuard are really good at focus fire and synergizing. They have a lot of bodies and a few ploys that lean hard into the synergy piece. As Silvola said, they're very chessy and surprisingly forgiving, considering a stiff breeze will kill a VetGuard and out damage their lasguns, as well

Forgiving is the last word I would use describing veteran guard.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Forgiving is the last word I would use describing veteran guard.

Haha, fair, it's that on paper they are way more fragile than they are in practice. So long as you keep cover and grab objectives you can pretty consistently win with VetGuard. You definitely have to plan with them but they give you room for mistakes and in my experience are more forgiving than elite teams or even Kommandos for said mistakes.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I need bases for my Corsair KT. Do you guys have any recommendations for third party bases that look good for KT?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dragonshirt posted:

I need bases for my Corsair KT. Do you guys have any recommendations for third party bases that look good for KT?

uhh you have a very vague question so I'm going to give a vague answer: depends on what you want to do with them. What theme do you want for your corsairs or kill team in general?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Sorry, I'm looking for something that looks vaguely industrial, like a Space Hulk floor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dragonshirt posted:

Sorry, I'm looking for something that looks vaguely industrial, like a Space Hulk floor.

Etsy. Just search "industrial bases 28mm"

https://www.etsy.com/listing/931998423/28mm32mm-bases-industrial-space-set-of-6

fyi corsairs are on 28mm bases.

edit: these also look cool https://www.etsy.com/listing/1186240303/round-industrial-bases-alario-resin
double edit: actually I just ordered some of these for my kroot

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 5, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dragonshirt posted:

28mm makes it tough, since Necromunda bases would fit the bill well. But they only come in 25mm, 32mm, and 40mm.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dragonshirt posted:

Anvil Industries sell bases and toppers which might be of interest?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The theme for the bugs in the gellerpox box has been "tropical reef"

I love painting in this neon color scheme

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

I know this isn't blood bowl central but I'm surprised that there's not more talk about this. The changes to this team are obscene. They were already solidly T1 and I'd say the things they've gained make them even better in BB20.

So what are the key team differences?

Lost 4 block, check.
Gained two S4 from the start, right.
Gained two m7 players.
Improved throwers.
Got additional unique skills.

Yeah ok, initially for their first few games there's a lack of block which will hamper that very initial development. But with the exception of Dwarves and Norse then there's zero ubiquitous block on opponents teams, so at 1000TV this isn't a big deal.

More importantly lets look at TV efficiency for the new team!

Two blitzers have lost block, but gained +1MA, Jump Up and Hit & Run. This is a marked improvement as even once the new blitzers gain block (110k), the same stat line in the old team would cost 110k without taking into account JU and H&R.
Throwers cost 5k more but gain On The Ball and Safe Throw.
The blockers are where the team really slaps and GW have had the power creep wheels fall off and run off down the hill. Take a comparable player recently released by GW; the Ulfwerner. 644+ - 9+, Frenzy and 105k. Now lets look at Blockers. 643+4+9+, Dodge, Defensive at 110k. That's 5k more for +1AG, 4+ PA, Dodge and Defensive at the loss of Frenzy.

Given that BB20 is designed to be played around the 1200-1400TV window then the efficiency the new roster introduces is nothing short of frightening.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Trying to compare directly player to player across teams in a vacuum is a path to madness.

Much like other games, the balancing is based around the team as a whole, not just making players equivalent to others that play the same role.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 6, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure the woof what can't pass and the Amazon who can don't actually play the same role.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Not sure how you are coming to these conclusions.

There has to be a common framework in order for teams to be costed, right? No different for teams, no different for stars. They need to be able to be baselined to know if they are too expensive or too cheap. Yes, no team or player exists in a vacuum, and teams are not designed to be equal - but - that doesn't stop us from assessing the relative strength of the team compared to a) what it was before b) what other teams could look like at a similar value.

Same as I stated before, the new version of Amazons is obscene. That's both relative to other teams and to their previous iteration. GW managed to make Norse minorly worse without trashing them, and many people hoped there would be a bit of a negatrait associated with Amazons that would take the edge off. Amazons already have a super high win rate (against everyone except dwarves) at all the TV's where the game is mostly targeted and that is only going to get worse.

Slivola posted:

I'm pretty sure the woof what can't pass and the Amazon who can don't actually play the same role.

The Ulf is a good comparison in terms of cost and utility because:
They were the last team released by GW so should be similar on the power-creep scale
They are the only S4 players on the team with a similar stat line on a similarly statted team
Have more or less the same skills access
Contrary to your assertion, they fill more or less the same role on the team

No it's not a direct comparison, but all things being equal then one is clearly more efficient for their value.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Redvenom posted:

I know this isn't blood bowl central but I'm surprised that there's not more talk about this. The changes to this team are obscene. They were already solidly T1 and I'd say the things they've gained make them even better in BB20.

So what are the key team differences?

Lost 4 block, check.
Gained two S4 from the start, right.
Gained two m7 players.
Improved throwers.
Got additional unique skills.

Yeah ok, initially for their first few games there's a lack of block which will hamper that very initial development. But with the exception of Dwarves and Norse then there's zero ubiquitous block on opponents teams, so at 1000TV this isn't a big deal.

More importantly lets look at TV efficiency for the new team!

Two blitzers have lost block, but gained +1MA, Jump Up and Hit & Run. This is a marked improvement as even once the new blitzers gain block (110k), the same stat line in the old team would cost 110k without taking into account JU and H&R.
Throwers cost 5k more but gain On The Ball and Safe Throw.
The blockers are where the team really slaps and GW have had the power creep wheels fall off and run off down the hill. Take a comparable player recently released by GW; the Ulfwerner. 644+ - 9+, Frenzy and 105k. Now lets look at Blockers. 643+4+9+, Dodge, Defensive at 110k. That's 5k more for +1AG, 4+ PA, Dodge and Defensive at the loss of Frenzy.

Given that BB20 is designed to be played around the 1200-1400TV window then the efficiency the new roster introduces is nothing short of frightening.

The reason for Amazons being so good was their lineup of four Blodgers without adding any TV. It made their tournament performance outrageous because those players could be given Guard and Tackle and such and the team would have these clutch skills on players who were extremely hard to put down. Everyone having Dodge was significant but it was very much secondary in terms of the real power calculus. In campaign play you have to actually get the skills on your positionals which is far from guaranteed with AG3+, weak armour, and less bite in a scrap.

The new changes add a lot of stuff that is going to need some playtime for the meta to adjust to. It's good, no doubt, and on balance it may be a bigger net positive, but you absolutely cannot minimise the importance of the starting Block.

In general the highest tiered teams are the ones with a lot of Block. It's a gigantic piece of why Dark Elves are the best Elves and why Norse and Dwarves are such strong contenders.

Meanwhile there are the same overall BB20 meta shifts that promote Grind and Bash as well as strongly favouring high armour teams in campaign play. In this framework, removing Amazon's fighting capacity in their starting lineup is big.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 6, 2022

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I should also clarify - I despise the new edition. I am not a reflexive BB20 defender.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Honestly their new star player is also insane. Range 5 hypnotic gaze (only once a game but still) absolutely slaps, especially with the new errata that doesn't let you use skills if you don't have tackle zones.

Also as a Norse player that ulf comparison hurts my soul :negative:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

All of the BB teams I'm interested in are not very competitive so the silver lining is that stuff like this probably makes absolutely no difference in the outcome of games.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I haven't looked too deeply into the new amazon team, but Old Amazons were dull as dishwater - four blodge guard pieces was an immediate and dull choice, and I can't hate shaking them up. I don't think they suddenly become massively elevated - they're just a different team to the old one which will require a different playstyle. This is coming from a tournament-playing perspective, for what it's worth.

I still don't like the team-specific rules GW have taken to adding in, and I'm uncertain I generally trust them with taking the game in a good direction in the future, but I think the idea that suddenly amazons are overpowered isn't right.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Redvenom posted:

Not sure how you are coming to these conclusions.

There has to be a common framework in order for teams to be costed, right? No different for teams, no different for stars. They need to be able to be baselined to know if they are too expensive or too cheap. Yes, no team or player exists in a vacuum, and teams are not designed to be equal - but - that doesn't stop us from assessing the relative strength of the team compared to a) what it was before b) what other teams could look like at a similar value.
But TV efficiency doesn't actually tell you anything about the team's strength. Skills vary too widely in utility to just lump them together, and you could easily bloat a team's TV by picking garbo skills during a campaign.

To add to that, player costs are only meaningful in comparison to their team's roster. They're baselined by the 11 player minimum, the position restrictions and the 1M starting bank. GW clearly wants teams to start with four to six positionals, so they price everything accordingly.

fallingdownjoe posted:

I still don't like the team-specific rules GW have taken to adding in, and I'm uncertain I generally trust them with taking the game in a good direction in the future, but I think the idea that suddenly amazons are overpowered isn't right.
I suspect GW's finally clued in to the fact that most skills just aren't game changers, and being much more liberal with them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’ve only ever played Blitzbowl but the new BB rules look way better than the last edition, despite all the old players I know hating it.

How much of this is just grognards narding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've not played the new edition yet, but line elves sure can't quick pass on 2+ any more and that'll teach me out of some real bad habits I learned back in my FUMBBL days.