Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
look at the size of that caq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
100% of the power with only 40% of the vote, how efficient!

Calvase de tabarnak de criss. :negative:

At least my hometown voted QS, I guess. :quebec:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stab posted:

Welp, as predicted, the CAQ won Quebec's election with a crushing majority (probably the biggest in Quebec history)

Yay for 4 more years of right wing xenophobia and rural vote pandering!!!

Quatrième lien???

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Québécois independence suffered another blow today under the guise of western backed compromise but Je Me Souviens!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stab posted:

Welp, as predicted, the CAQ won Quebec's election with a crushing majority (probably the biggest in Quebec history)

Yay for 4 more years of right wing xenophobia and rural vote pandering!!!

Quebec "Don't Be Horribly loving Racist" Challenge (impossible)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Consolation: the PCQ gets nothing. Ta yeule Duhaime et ta gang d'antivax :owned:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The National Post gave the "horse race" idea a spin last week, but they couldn't even maintain the lie for even the length of the column. Basically it accused Legault of campaigning as if it didn't matter (Legault was right) to the theoretical benefit of unidentified opposition party. Unidentified because they were all obviously cooked by the way the vote was going to break down.

The CAQ getting 41% of the vote and a crushing majority is worth noting, but any time a party has around that level of support in Canada it tends to get a majority. And there's no real benefit to a crushing majority over a majority. For my dollar, the more palpable injustice is with the Conservatives. Not that I admire their views, but them getting 13% of the votes and zero seats while the Liberals get 14% and are the official opposition is damning of FPTP.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Maneck posted:

The National Post gave the "horse race" idea a spin last week, but they couldn't even maintain the lie for even the length of the column. Basically it accused Legault of campaigning as if it didn't matter (Legault was right) to the theoretical benefit of unidentified opposition party. Unidentified because they were all obviously cooked by the way the vote was going to break down.

The CAQ getting 41% of the vote and a crushing majority is worth noting, but any time a party has around that level of support in Canada it tends to get a majority. And there's no real benefit to a crushing majority over a majority. For my dollar, the more palpable injustice is with the Conservatives. Not that I admire their views, but them getting 13% of the votes and zero seats while the Liberals get 14% and are the official opposition is damning of FPTP.

Oh I agree the PLQ;PCQ's vote:elected is totally out of wack.

Still, lol Duhaime.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Non Canadian ended up down a rabbit hole but I need clarity in this because my brain keeps going what

https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/1577078083986681856?t=h8hNykqyVXwy8W5QNWIgrA&s=19

What is this

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Lid posted:

Non Canadian ended up down a rabbit hole but I need clarity in this because my brain keeps going what

https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/1577078083986681856?t=h8hNykqyVXwy8W5QNWIgrA&s=19

What is this
The usual “China, Russia, and Iran are actually the good guys because they oppose the West and anything bad you hear about them is Western disinformation.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The usual “China, Russia, and Iran are actually the good guys because they oppose the West and anything bad you hear about them is Western disinformation.”

I went a bit deeper and they work for Press TV which the government just sanctioned as its Iran's state sanctioned news channel.

https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/1577087808346681344?t=ZOTiWhlQKQBmc7OX8RqPSg&s=19

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

100% of the power with only 40% of the vote, how efficient!

Calvase de tabarnak de criss. :negative:

At least my hometown voted QS, I guess. :quebec:

Yeah, the crushing majority is stupid and all but the issues are verrrry visible in the other results.

Liberals, QS, Cons, and PQ got near enough the same results within a percentage point or so. And yet the results are

21 seats
11 seats
3 seats
0 seats

Liberals as official opposition and double the seats with 40,000 less votes than QS is particularly grating.

How is this democracy?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Some votes are worth more than others. Representative democracy, same as it ever was.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://twitter.com/justintrudeau/status/646114034463338497

It's just very funny that this was a huge campaign promise (which lured me away from NDP although Mulcair didn't sell himself much) when then turned into him giving this task to a first time MP who just cratered it because they polled like 3,000 Canadians and they all went ???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They cratered it because they had a form of voting they intended to use and even their half-assed voting "survey" based on a loving personality test didn't manage to give them the cover they needed to implement it, so they said "it's too complicated for Canadians".

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
The mydemocracy survey was a complete joke, the questions were ridiculous and the outcome preordained from the questions.

The electoral reform committee also mathematically proved that the LPC's preferred choice of rank voting would give a permanent LPC majority and a more distorted voting outcome than FPTP. (Albeit based off past voting patterns which may change if you changed the voting system but it wasn't a good look)

I'm really fired up about it especially when the LPC gaslight anyone who disagrees how and why they killed electoral reform blaming the voters for not being clear in what they want, when bitch you never asked.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm really fired up about it especially when the LPC gaslight anyone who disagrees how and why they killed electoral reform blaming the voters for not being clear in what they want, when bitch you never asked.

Oh yeah same, and I'm carrying that grudge until the party dies or I die.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Another Bill posted:

:hmmyes:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Another Bill posted:

See, I would never vote LPC again - I yelled at the guy doorknocking for them about this last election.

But the thing is, I live in Edmonton-Centre, and it's a very tight riding between the Tories and the Liberals, and I REALLY don't like the Tories, and, well, under FPTP...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You do whatever makes sense to you, but there is no circumstance in which I will vote Liberal either federally or provincially. Not just because of their failure to implement voting reform, but that has definitely contributed to it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I voted for the greens but I'm not really surprised by the CAQ majority.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I am forever abandoning strategic voting. It’s the party’s job to appeal to me and earn my vote, not my job to make sure they get elected.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

But it’s easy for me to say so since I also live in maybe the most ndp riding in the country so my worst case scenario is many in this thread’s best.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Ottawa Police Service member gets upset with citizen recording him driving the wrong way up a closed street on the bike lane and sidewalk for an emergency lunch stop. Repeatedly.

https://twitter.com/SjamieIt/status/1577100431192653824

Bonus, there's actually political content in there! The lady on the scene in the third video is a fervently pro-police city counsel candidate.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ARACHTION posted:

I am forever abandoning strategic voting. It’s the party’s job to appeal to me and earn my vote, not my job to make sure they get elected.

You can vote however you want, but abandoning strategic voting makes it more likely your least preferred option assumes power.

If you're fine risking that then nobody can make you do otherwise, but hopefully you're willing to take that responsibility.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
woah why is it ARACHTION's fault that he doesn't want to vote for X Party. They shouldn't be entitled to his vote because someone else besides X party might win, because his preferred Y party never wins in that district.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can vote however you want, but abandoning strategic voting makes it more likely your least preferred option assumes power.

If you're fine risking that then nobody can make you do otherwise, but hopefully you're willing to take that responsibility.

Voting strategically makes it more likely that your second least preferred option assumes power in the next election, contributes to the illusion of a mandate that doesn’t exist, and makes it more likely that your preferred option struggles to raise money in the future or dissolves completely. But hopefully you’re willing to take that responsibility.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

Following that same line, could you argue that continuing to vote strategically makes it more likely you never get your preferred option? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRNnIMDkUY&ab_channel=BloodMoneyLLC

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

lol, and also lmao.

While you're taking responsibility for the outcome of your strategic vote, have you considered the information you're using to inform your strategy, and if it's say, based on Canadian polling, how incredibly useless it is? The sites that pop up every election to "inform strategic votes" are, bar none, pure hokum. At best they're run by one party or another, trying to funnel votes, at worst they're entirely earnest and entirely useless because we don't having riding level polling here. You can't predict the way a riding is going to go from regional voter intent polls and this is the reason everyone who tries to predict seat counts has error bars miles wide and still miss them.

Toss a coin, or you know, just vote for the candidate you actually want to represent you, because at least you can make an informed moral choice.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 5, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Albino Squirrel posted:

See, I would never vote LPC again - I yelled at the guy doorknocking for them about this last election.

But the thing is, I live in Edmonton-Centre, and it's a very tight riding between the Tories and the Liberals, and I REALLY don't like the Tories, and, well, under FPTP...

Wasn't the vote split only like 800 between the Con, Lib, and NDP candidates last year? I remember being super stoked that we almost had 3 orange seats in Edmonton (I wasn't a huge fan of Boissonault back in 2015 either and I sure didn't vote for him then or now)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

infernal machines posted:

lol, and also lmao.

While you're taking responsibility for the outcome of your strategic vote, have you considered the information you're using to inform your strategy, and if it's say, based on Canadian polling, how incredibly useless it is? The sites that pop up every election to "inform strategic votes" are, bar none, pure hokum. At best they're run by one party or another, trying to funnel votes, at worst they're entirely earnest and entirely useless because we don't having riding level polling here.

Toss a coin, or you know, just vote for the candidate you actually want to represent you, because at least you can make an informed moral choice.

Yeah the bolded part is especially important because most people’s impressions of how close their riding is (and whether they should strategically vote or not) is informed by the previous election results rather than current data.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

And given how dependant that can be on the candidates as well as a lot of other factors surrounding the election, you can't just punch the last few results into an algorithm and get a useful prediction out.

Sites that include things like news coverage and tweets with "sentiment analysis" weighting are even worse. It's just piling the horse poo poo on higher.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

infernal machines posted:

lol, and also lmao.

While you're taking responsibility for the outcome of your strategic vote, have you considered the information you're using to inform your strategy, and if it's say, based on Canadian polling, how incredibly useless it is? The sites that pop up every election to "inform strategic votes" are, bar none, pure hokum. At best they're run by one party or another, trying to funnel votes, at worst they're entirely earnest and entirely useless because we don't having riding level polling here. You can't predict the way a riding is going to go from regional voter intent polls and this is the reason everyone who tries to predict seat counts has error bars miles wide and still miss them.

The riding I'm in was a "three-way race" according to "polling" between the Liberals, QS, and CAQ as of a few weeks ago. Immediately after that one QS candidate was found to be stealing opposition flyers from a mailbox, the "poll" changed to be a coinflip between the QLP and CAQ. In the end the Liberals won, QS strong second, and CAQ got less than half the QLP votes.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Maneck posted:

Ottawa Police Service member gets upset with citizen recording him driving the wrong way up a closed street on the bike lane and sidewalk for an emergency lunch stop. Repeatedly.

https://twitter.com/SjamieIt/status/1577100431192653824

Bonus, there's actually political content in there! The lady on the scene in the third video is a fervently pro-police city counsel candidate.

Being a too-online-in-Ottawa-municipal-politics person, I can tell you that candidate is a real gem. She has jumped from faux-pas to faux-pas so rapidly in the last few weeks that people are starting to theorize that she's some kind of sacrificial establishment candidate to draw all the ire onto herself because that's easier to believe than someone being so incredibly bad at politics.

There was the week-long campaign accusing the incumbent in her ward of some kind of sign-destroying conspiracy. Then shilling for a pro-convoy business in the name of "healing" and "unity" when said business had gone on Fox News to whine about being lambasted for donating multiple times to the convoy and providing them with food etc. Now we've got her here defending the police and saying that the filmer was yelling and 'gesticulating wildly' at the cop and that it was a "very dangerous situation".

I can't wait to see what she gets up to next.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

Now we've got her here defending the police and saying that the filmer was yelling and 'gesticulating wildly' at the cop and that it was a "very dangerous situation".

I can't wait to see what she gets up to next.

Of course it was a dangerous situation. It was a verbal confrontation between someone trying to get a police officer to follow the law, and an armed psycho with no regard for the law.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Randalor posted:

Of course it was a dangerous situation. It was a verbal confrontation between someone trying to get a police officer to follow the law, and an armed psycho with no regard for the law.

I should clarify that she specifically "both-sides"'d the dangerous situation line.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

I should clarify that she specifically "both-sides"'d the dangerous situation line.

Of course both sides were dangerous. One was a psycho armed with a gun, the other was recording actual footage that could harm the poor, sweet baby angel officer's career. Clearly both sides were equally dangerous.

/s

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fidelitious posted:

It was very dangerous, he was armed with a baby. Who knows what kind of violence he could inflict.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I saw a school bus make a right turn on a red light while the pedestrian light was on (and pedestrians already mid way through the street), is that something I should report? Is that illegal in Montreal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Voting for a party that has been a distant third in your riding for decades or more, and pretending you're somehow helping choose your MP or provincial equivalent, is only marginally less silly than writing in your own name.

Starks posted:

Yeah the bolded part is especially important because most people’s impressions of how close their riding is (and whether they should strategically vote or not) is informed by the previous election results rather than current data.

Since there's basically no riding-level polling, applying the swing in nationwide polling to the previous election results is the closest you're going to get to current data.