Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

6) Pontypool (2008)
First Watch

SPOOKY BINGO: Paperbacks From Hell

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one when it started. Maybe I was just shocked that it had nothing to do with the town in Wales.

But I was pleasantly surprised. A really interesting take on a zombie film (if you can even call it that?) that works really well with the single location and small cast. The film obviously had a very low budget but uses that to it's advantage to sell the destruction of a town that you actually never see.

The central idea behind what was going on was a great new take on this style of zombie film, although I don't think it would last under that much scrutiny if you were to really examine it - which is fine because the film is only 90 minutes long! I'd be interested to real the original novel to see how it deals with it.

Happy I watched this one.

8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

#4: House (1986)

:spooky: HORROR BINGO: Paperbacks From Hell :spooky:

Qualifies as the main character is a horror writer!

This is fun, popcorn fare that still seems a bit conflicted on what it wants to be. The overall tone is family friendly horror comedy (hell, Norm from Cheers shows up in a purely comedic role). The main character Roger Cobb, though, is a horror writer who wants to take a break and write a book about his experiences in Vietnam, and is clearly struggling with both PTSD from his time as a soldier and the unexpected death of his young son, also the catalyst for the end of his marriage. His occasional flashbacks to the Vietnam War are some of the least harrowing war scenes ever. We watch an injured member of the platoon begs Cobb to kill him before he can be captured and the performance is so broad that it really isn't clear if we're supposed to be laughing. When the main character decks himself in full army green and first confronts his haunted closet with an array of tactical gear, the performance that most comes to mind is Bill Murray in Caddyshack, preparing to confront the gopher.

All that being said, the monsters are FANTASTIC. Someone had a lot of fun coming up with the distorted representations of Cobb's fears and doubts. There's hags and gremlins and zombie soldiers, goofy flying, poltergeisted garden tools, and there are way more explosions and fireballs than there probably needed to be, in a good way. I would have enjoyed it more if it was willing to commit, but still, the weirdness is enjoyable and it's kinda impressive how they managed to fit the 80s arc of "down and out loser finds his masculinity and wins his family back" into a wacky haunted house movie.

Mover fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 5, 2022

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I ran the House series a few months ago. I grew up watching House II: The Second Story (maybe my favorite sequel title), but never saw the others. I will always have a soft spot for that. But there are, ahem, rapidly diminishing returns with III and IV.

EDIT: It's one of those anthology series where the movies are all independent of each other, no real continuity. I think III was unrelated and had the House label grafted on, it's not even always billed as House III. House IV technically brings the protagonist from the first one back, but it's basically in name only as so many details are changed.

EDIT REDUX: I got that backwards, House III was developed as a House movie, but then was NOT marketed as one in the U.S. because of the difference in tone.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 5, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
9. The Town That Dreaded Sundown 1976

Where to watch?

Youtube for free with Ads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJuM5bUpOOw

This 1976 movie is based on the very real murders in Texarkana actually called The Texarkana Moonlight Murders its directed by Charles Pierce who made The Legend of Boggy Creek , which is a excellent film. This film has a mockumentary style to it but it's most certainly not a mockumentary, however it does have a narrator and is presented as a "factual " film. As far as factual goes it is actually pretty accurate in regard to the murders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texarkana_Moonlight_Murders

It takes some liberties with some of the locations and such of the murders but this is a very real story that happened. Fun fact they never caught the guy just like the movie although they have a prime suspect he was never charged and actually died a free man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youell_Swinney

Another interesting thing is that every year in Texarkana the town that this was filmed in they actually have a film festival where they show the movie at one of the locations of the murders. So plan that for your next vacation.

Also this is one of the few slasher films and I hestitate to call it a slasher because its more a crime story than anything else, but anyway the guy uses a gun pretty frequently. Its a good movie though and has a kind of folksy charm and is pretty good for something from 1976. Its not particularly graphic and its not lurid at all. You don't get the feeling that its exploitative at all. I wouldn't even call it a exploitation film. Its good so check it out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Short cuts

Terrible Things 9:55

A woman wanders around a post apocalyptic wasteland. Not much here, it's mainly some visuals and then a long monologue, then a neat effects shot at the end. The actress is good though and delivers the monologue well

Night Visit 7:11

A cop gets called out on a welfare check to an old woman's house, with scary results. Not 100% sure what it was going for but has a neat hook.

The Elevator 3:38

Mostly silent and more of a joke one, but it builds to a pretty good punchline

Childer 17:00

An old fashioned "is she crazy or is there something supernatural happening", but it's a bit overly long for what it is.

Zygote 22:24

Goddamn I love Oats Studio. It's pretty much all just tech demos but sometimes it's nice to just jump to the climax of a movie without all the preamble. This is probably their best one, I've been holding off because I don't usually like to go over 10 minutes on the shorts, but wanted to finally see this one. Great effects, dope creature design

30 Second Horror Film 0:42

Exactly what it says. No big twists or anything here, pretty sure this is just someone's student film but I was 22 seconds short and wanted to finish up

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

4. Orphan

A family adopts a child... with the most obvious and bland and boring and a twist spelled out 20 times results.

This era of mainstream horror loving sucks.

0.5/5

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Behind the Screams
-Watch a film about or featuring filmmaking

#20.) Remote Viewing (2018; DVD)

The documentary team for a seminar on remote viewing shifts their focus once the presenter visualizes treasure, coming along for the ride in hopes that they'll get some of that cash.

This movie was a real surprise to me. Not because it was outstanding, but because it was so normal compared to what I was expecting. It's from the same director as Doll Face, which is quite possibly the weirdest movie I've seen in the past decade; it's a real piece of outsider art, with touches like all of the main actress' dialogue being dubbed in without her lips moving. But this film was close to a regular treasure hunt/adventure/road trip affair, with some weird and lightly spooky stuff sprinkled in here and there. The nonsense factor revs up in the last act, but as many bizarre turns as the story takes, the general tone doesn't change too much. Bound to be a minor note in this director's filmography.

“Do you guys ever stop filming?”

:spooky: Rating: 5/10

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
4. God Told Me To (1976)
(challenge, funnily enough: The Devil Made Me Do It)
"You know, people who are too religious make a lot of goddamn trouble for everybody."
I admit, while the hammy pratfalls in the opening mass shooting scene were distracting, I was hooked nearly immediately when we're told not just that he said God told him to do it, but that he was supernaturally accurate. But I had no idea what I was in for.

The first act or so here plays like a religion-themed police procedural, with lots of fun quotes by various characters ruminating on the events. Our character's own relationship with religion (and his wife, and his mistress) gives everything a bit of weight as well. A bit janky but again, hard to top the premise. We do get some compelling moments and performances, like the guy very casually talking about how he murdered his family. "I mean, He wouldn't ask me to do anything that wasn't right."

Halfway through it seems like we get a peek behind the curtain of what's really going on, but that just set me up for the haymaker that is the second half. Off the rails, off the chain, an absolute fantastic ride, and as disorienting as it is, it sure sticks the landing.

I will never forget the torsussy for as long as I live. Oh, and shout-out to the brightest, fakest blood I've ever seen in a movie.

8/10

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

VROOM VROOM posted:

4. God Told Me To (1976)
(challenge, funnily enough: The Devil Made Me Do It)
"You know, people who are too religious make a lot of goddamn trouble for everybody."
I admit, while the hammy pratfalls in the opening mass shooting scene were distracting, I was hooked nearly immediately when we're told not just that he said God told him to do it, but that he was supernaturally accurate. But I had no idea what I was in for.

The first act or so here plays like a religion-themed police procedural, with lots of fun quotes by various characters ruminating on the events. Our character's own relationship with religion (and his wife, and his mistress) gives everything a bit of weight as well. A bit janky but again, hard to top the premise. We do get some compelling moments and performances, like the guy very casually talking about how he murdered his family. "I mean, He wouldn't ask me to do anything that wasn't right."

Halfway through it seems like we get a peek behind the curtain of what's really going on, but that just set me up for the haymaker that is the second half. Off the rails, off the chain, an absolute fantastic ride, and as disorienting as it is, it sure sticks the landing.

I will never forget the torsussy for as long as I live. Oh, and shout-out to the brightest, fakest blood I've ever seen in a movie.

8/10

The scene with Andy Kaufman at the parade was shot without permit at the actual parade.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
:stare:
But the Irish were waiting for that parade all year!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#9: Scanners

Highbrow Horror

Not a shock, but it's really good. Less people exploding than you'd expect from the reputation, but people do get hosed up by mind magic. Drags a bit but the climax is so great you kinda forget about the dragging. Very similar to The Brood, which I would all the better movie, but still very worth your while.

Extremely good Michael Ironside content

Strong recommendation for Scanners

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 6, 2022

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

9. He Never Died
Henry Rollins eats some motherfuckers

Looking to complete a Bingo row, I googled movies with cannibalism, and He Never Died popped up. Of course, Henry Rollins in a movie where he's gonna eat a motherfucker? Of course I want that. Turns out he's a motherfucker-eating, Bingo-playing madman, so it's a perfect choice.

The movie is surprisingly funny, partially because Henry Rollins is excellent playing essentially himself. Half the movie is him doing action poo poo and dead-staring at people, which makes him a surprisingly entertaining foil for the rest of the cast.

As a horror movie, it's probably more comedy than horror, but it does have some cool moments. Is it a life-changing movie? Nah. Is it wildly entertaining? Absolutely. I'm personally just going to pretend that this isn't a movie about an immortal Biblical character who loves human flesh and beating rear end and is instead a documentary about what Henry Rollins does between gigs.

Rating: 7.5/10 Bingo Cards

Which means, coincidentally, oooooooooh, that's a Bingo!

(Please ignore my other spaces of movies I'm planning out)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The director of A Meowy Halloween thanked me on Letterboxd for watching it and is incredibly cool and now I feel terrible I called it “idiotic”. Making movies is SO hard. If you’ve never worked a camera or a sound board or lights or spent hours laboring over an editing station unable to make the footage you have do what you want it to do you you have no idea. I have all the respect for those who make something and share it with the world. It takes so much work and heart and soul and people can just tear it apart and appreciate nothing.

I’m now gonna be self conscious the rest of the month that any review I write could be read by the director and make them feel bad. Guess I can only watch old movies now. Or be nicer.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The director of A Meowy Halloween thanked me on Letterboxd for watching it and is incredibly cool and now I feel terrible I called it “idiotic”. Making movies is SO hard. If you’ve never worked a camera or a sound board or lights or spent hours laboring over an editing station unable to make the footage you have do what you want it to do you you have no idea. I have all the respect for those who make something and share it with the world. It takes so much work and heart and soul and people can just tear it apart and appreciate nothing.

I’m now gonna be self conscious the rest of the month that any review I write could be read by the director and make them feel bad. Guess I can only watch old movies now. Or be nicer.

I briefly ran a website where I reviewed and catalogued every anthology horror movie I could find. I posted a review about a low budget movie (which I won't name, for reasons soon to be apparent), and the next day I got an email from the director. He said he was grateful that someone watched his movie and had written about it, even if what I said had hurt his feelings, but it was OK because he was happy he had put himself out there.

It wasn't like a 'pity me', email, but it was pretty frank and honest about that the movie wasn't great, but he had tried his best in hopes somebody would eventually see it and maybe recognize a spark of talent in him or something. I stopped writing reviews and let the domain lapse, because the idea of broadcasting my opinions when I could hurt someone else's feelings despite that they were trying their best didn't seem appealing to me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
10. Chopping Mall

Where to watch?
Tubi!
https://tubitv.com/movies/445307/chopping-mall?start=true

Starring Barbara Crampton! Thats the only actor of note other than Dick Miller. This is just a fun as hell movie about mall security robots that go rogue and start killing some teenagers that are sleeping over in a mall. Ah the good old mall days of the United States of America. Those days are long past now but use to we'd go to large in door areas where they sold food and clothes, and guns! Also they had these things called Arcades that you could play games at with other people and win lovely prizes! Anyway Chopping Mall is a fantastic film and features this:

Yeah its bad rear end. Its got some good gore and its a loving home alone style fight against killer robots. Anyway have a nice day!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

10. Halloween 666: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
Watched On: Blu Ray (The Theatrical Cut)

Hoo boy. Halloween 6 is one I throw right in the utter trash pile with Rob Zombie's pathetic work in the franchise. What the hell was anyone thinking? Jamie was just a little girl when we last saw her and now she's giving birth on screen in the opening scene ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm not gonna say the movie is nothing but poo poo ideas, the idea that Michael is a legend now and maybe even some kind of figure of national curiosity is pretty cool and rode the wave of growing true crime fascination. Sadly they don't explore it too much. This cut really is a mess though, there's a part where Dr Loomis hears something on the radio, turns back to the camera, and delivers lines to literally no one (at least in this cut). On the topic of Loomis, Donald Pleasance was in bad health during filming and it shows, poor guy. Halloween 6 also looks cheap, sounds cheap and is 90's as hell. There is one really fantastic kill though and bless whatever genius snuck it in this joyless slog.They actually make Michael the sub-villain of his own series after introducing the druid cult, it's so stupid!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda like Paul Rudd running around acting like a little creep, it's so strange. I also have to say some of these editing choices are INTENSE if you're high, especially toward the end where Michael is killing people in a White Snake video. This is seriously the worst in the series.

Favorite Kill

Michael wastes this prick with a Raiden fatality.

Favorite Shot

I dunno, I just love this whole foggy business.

The Mask

Michael lookin' nice and well fed here. 5/10

:spooky:The Thorn Cult Timeline:spooky:
A lot of horror series take dives in quality as they go on but they usually bug me less than this stretch of Halloween movies and I want to say it's because those series usually still stay true to their villain's character where I think the Thorn Cult Timeline doesn't. The more the movies start explaining Michael's backstory or rules or attaching supernatural baggage to him it dilutes what makes him work and makes him far less scary. This timeline does have a few good or at the very least interesting ideas that don't totally make it on screen, like one of the ideas for Halloween 6 was the whole town being a cult propping up Michael. Totally doesn't work for Michael, but that could be a cool slasher. But Michael should be unknowable, the every man of slashers, Michael could be anyone in any neighborhood that just loses it one day and we lose that here.

I'm sure some would disagree but I personally don't think the series gets any lower than this stretch of 4, 5, and 6. The best thing to take away from here is the great moments that Donald Pleasance gives and none of the movies since have had a character approaching how great his Loomis was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 4 - :spooky: Hell-O-Ween Unholy-Day Spook-Tacular! :spooky:

This evening I popped open Hulu and the very first thing it hit me with was the Solar Opposites Halloween Special. I took that as a sign and dived in for some spooky TV shenanigans.

A Sinister Halloween Scary Opposites Special

Korvo panics at the sight of anything Halloween themed. Will he be able to learn the true meaning of the holiday? Yumulak thinks magic is stupid. Will dying and going to hell change his mind? Terry and Jesse are way too into the spirit of the day, steal a corpse, and revive it as a cryptkeeper to spook the neighbors with its puns. Will they... actually, they don't have an arc in this one.

Really this felt like just another episode of the show. if you like the show, you'll enjoy it. If you don't then there's no reason to watch it. A few of the Cryptkeeper bits did get me harder than they probably should ("Some-bloody once told me I ain't the sharpest ghoul in the dead.") and the twist was a good gag. The hell storyline, OTOH, kind of wore out it's one joke really fast. I kind of wish they had checked in with the Wall for a moment, too.

Halloween With The Addams Family

A pair of bank robbers are mistaken for trick or treaters by the Addamses and get to enjoy their hospitality.

Gotta say, this was not the strongest episode of the show. There's a lot of the stock plot of people over-reacting to the family being mildly eccentric. ":derp: THEY DRESS IN BLACK!! :derp:" kind of stuff. OHOT, there were a couple of gags that I liked: Pugsley and Wednesday's Halloween costumes and the warning they give to people regarding them (which is predictable but really cutely done), and how rather than bobbing for apples they bob for __crabs :craboot:___.

Elvira's Halloween Special

For the first hour, Elvira goes to Salem and does a bunch of skits. Then for the second, she counts down ten spooky videos because this was a special for MTV made in 1986. Unfortunately, the version I watched was on youtube so all of the videos were cut and I didn't know that until I had already gotten deep into the video. If I had known it was cut like this, I would have picked something else.

Remember the days of this kind of television special where the whole point was to fill time to drag out the viewer as long as possible while packing in twice as many commercials as a normal program? Even as a kid I hated that.

Elvira doing skits on the streets of Salem was not funny. It's some real z-tier schlock comedy. OTOH, some of the pre-filmed skits were fun. I really liked the commercial for Elvira's Halloween Carols album; it probably worked because they gave you one line of a parody song and moved on.

Honestly, not the strongest set of specials. Solar Opposites was the best just because it was the best made of them. The other two were weak outings by people who I know could do better.

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh man, I ran the House series a few months ago. I grew up watching House II: The Second Story (maybe my favorite sequel title), but never saw the others. I will always have a soft spot for that. But there are, ahem, rapidly diminishing returns with III and IV.

EDIT: It's one of those anthology series where the movies are all independent of each other, no real continuity. I think III was unrelated and had the House label grafted on, it's not even always billed as House III. House IV technically brings the protagonist from the first one back, but it's basically in name only as so many details are changed.

EDIT REDUX: I got that backwards, House III was developed as a House movie, but then was NOT marketed as one in the U.S. because of the difference in tone.

I think that since the films are this disconnected, you can just say that House (1977) is part of the franchise. :v:

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Man Bites Dog, 1992

Man Bites Dog is about a serial killer that's get followed around by a documentary crew. It is a very dark comedy in both the absurd premise and the character of the killer. He just kills tons of people every day, including shooting them with a gun, and there's practically no consequences for him in terms police investigations or any media panic about a killer on the loose. Not to mention the documentary is documenting his crimes for all to see. It is a very silly movie and it knows it is. Yet it is a really dark one. The way innocent people get brutalized and how the film crew gets dragged into it. They help him murder a child and later they gang rape a woman during a home invasion. What is a silly movie gets pretty dark as it goes on and silliness of the premise sort of gets forgotten as we go deeper into this uncaring world of the movie. A very interesting, and sorts of artsy with it being in black and white and French. Very much worth watching if you want something different and morbid.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

11. Trick r. Treat
USA, 2007. Dr. Michael Dougherty

:spooky:Halloween is Special:spooky:

We've all seen this movie, probably many times. A real Halloween classic. It's a film I've always had a fondness for, and this rewatch is no exception. I just love how lighthearted, and at the same time completely merciless it can be. This movie does not shy away from killing kids. If I had to bring up any criticisms, the whole little red riding hood thing is just a little too on the nose, and the face under the Halloween kid's burlap sack mask has always been a real disappointment to me. Like, I get what they were going for, but it does nothing for me. Small critiques of an otherwise great flick, and as of two days ago there's talk by the director of a sequel in active development, though he's been saying that for years so who knows. Solid, solid recommend.

8/10.

Stray thoughts:

I critiqued it earlier because it really is as subtle as a bag of bricks, but the whole red riding hood being a werewolf thing is a pretty good gag. Not to mention her sisters being wolves that prey on sheep, i.e. ineffectual guys who wear hobbit costumes or dress up like big babies.

Also, who doesn't love a good, goopy werewolf transformation sequence. Sloughing skin to reveal claws and teeth and fur. Always a good time. Nice contacts too.

I like that the little Halloween spirit kid is specifically targeting people who go against Halloween traditions. The old man who steals children's candy instead of giving it away, and the woman who snuffs out her jack o' lantern instead of letting it burn. Others, who partake in the festivities one way or another, are spared. Go against the holiday spirit, and the holiday spirit will go against you.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

I had the director of CarosHELL respond to my review. He was glad I liked it and let me know they finished the sequel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I had the director of CarosHELL respond to my review. He was glad I liked it and let me know they finished the sequel.

Was it called like FERALs Wheel or...?

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

9. The Brain (1988)

"Words are the tools of any fool! I WANT ACTION!!!"

Fun junk food horror. A local Dianetics-style pseudo-psychology television show (amusingly titled "Independent Thinking") is a cover for a freaky alien brain to broadcast its brainwaves and take over people's minds! Tom Bresnahan is a smart teen with an attitude problem and a knack for chemistry-based pranks, and when it turns out he's resistant to the brain's mind control, he gets framed for murder and has to go on the run from the entire brainwashed town.

The acting and editing aren't very sharp, but don't worry, because The Brain is the rare low budget horror film that lives the dream and delivers on its poster! The film goes all in on that goopy big-toothed monstrosity and it's constantly showing up to growl and chow down on people! Even in its weakest form as a literal brain and spinal cord, it's not shy about lunging on the nearest leggy lab assistant and mauling her. And "minor" kills from people in its thrall are good fun too, like George Buza delivering a roundhouse axe chop that takes a cop's whole dang head off! It's a perfectly pleasing package of weightless popcorn goofery.

:brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: / 5

This one's about evil taking people over through the television, so it fits TerrorVision for Spooky Bingo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same director! Cool dude.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

- (22 - Botswana). March of the Gods: Botswana Metalheads - Watched because metal is basically the horror of music, but there's not enough here to justify counting this. I was slightly put off at first because it starts as a biopic of a band that I've obviously never heard of, but it expands out from there. There's a little bit of everything in here - influence of the American and European metal scenes (who are both posers who wear their office clothes to concerts). What I was looking for here was the devil-metal connection, especially in light of physically aggressive Christianity (see my previous post). It's touched on briefly, noting that there is some Christian opposition to the genre, but also that metalheads are in church on Sunday. I think it's somewhat related that a recording studio owner describes Botswanan metal as a musical and fashion style, but they never touch on what the lyrical content of Botswanan metal is. 3.5/5

6 (23 - Jamaica). Di Gal Bite Mi :spooky: Horror Noire :spooky: - Jamaican film, set and filmed in London, about a female vampire, a bunch of the dumbest dudes ever, and the smartest dude ever. From the "me, my friends, my camera, and a weekend" school of film making, there are no great performances here and a terrible one from a chavette whining about how she wants to be a vampire. Basically, vampire kills dude, another dude swears he's not going to be dumb and get killed by the vampire, that dude gets killed, rinse and repeat. Until the smartest dude ever decides to go stake the vampire during daytime and then has a beer. Special honor to the included subtitles, that routinely summarize back-and-forth conversations with one line per character and consistently transcribe "gently caress" as "flip." And just stop existing every so often. 2.5/5

7 (24 - Montenegro) Killer Mermaid :spooky: H20 :spooky: - One the one hand, it opens with a Moby Dick quote. On the other, it has a 1.8 on Letterboxd. But back on the first hand, this is exactly my kind of Eurotrash. A SyFy movie with tits that is largely lacking in killer mermaids, but the effects - for a SyFy tier movie - are decent once she shows up. 3/5

8 (25 - Barbados). The Barbados Project - Found footage movie where a giant monster (elephant-sized insect) escapes from a secret government facility in Barbados. So various dumbasses decide to go out in search of it and expose the government conspiracy by getting wrecked by giant monsters. Then poo poo gets weird - it's 99% human from 2 million years in the future. Also, dinosaurs. 2.5/5

And a couple more shorts off my list:

- (26 - US Virgin Islands) Oberon's Gold - Community theatre level production where I initially thought they were playing it for laughs, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Civil War era bandits try to rob a fay dude named Oberon who appears out of the forest accompanied by glowing lights. This does not go well. Either as a plot point or a film. 1.5/5

- (27 - Guyana) 605 Adults 304 Children - Actual found footage of how great life was at Jonestown, working its way towards a conclusion of audio from the final day being played over video of children on a playground. For fucks sake. 5/5

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Movie #5

Goodnight, Mommy
-watch a movie with a scary/killer mom
-watch a movie with mommy issues

Nightmare, 1964

On her 11th birthday, Janet witnesses her mother murdering her father. Six years later, she's haunted by horrible dreams and fears that she's following her mother's path to madness. 

Janet's trauma is real, and the horror comes from the way people exploit that. There are some truly awful guys in this film, and the ones that do mean well don't go far enough to help when they see the warning signs that something is terribly wrong. 

Without spoiling it: The villain is an absolute narcissistic poo poo, and the film takes a dramatic turn halfway though. Cycles of abuse continue, only in a new direction. 

The flimsy border of dreams and reality, the mundane meets melodrama, the incredibly painful panic attacks, this is at times a powerfully upsetting movie, thanks in large part to Jennie Linden's performance as Janet. 

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

5. My Best Friend's Exorcism
:spooky: Paperbacks From Hell

I haven't read this one but Grady Hendrix is cool and good. This really didn't land for me though. It's one of those movies that isn't bad in any real way, but none of the pieces come together in a very interesting way.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

10. Chopping Mall
Starring Barbara Crampton! Thats the only actor of note other than Dick Miller.
This Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov erasure will not stand.

#21.) Pulse (2001; DVD) *rewatch

Despair and loneliness overtake the world, due to phone lines providing ghosts with access to the internet.

One of my top ten horror films, probably top five. The escalation and intensification from small events to where the film concludes is done so organically, while being permeated with a sense of natural order being violated. The disparate events that twine together, tenuous relationships being formed as friendships disintegrate, the eventual revelation that we began with events already in progress. It takes the painful solitude of Night of the Living Dead and gives it an even more poignant resignation, a sense of inevitability that becomes crushing. And the characters dealing with this situation aren't definite on what's happening. They theorize, they guess, they try to endure the unknowable.

While the specifics of the situation are supernatural, in the abstract, it's something simple and relatable. The threat is loneliness and sorrow, and giving in to it, giving up. Asking for help only once the room is empty. Technology may enable the progression, but things were already leading to this point before that step. Endurance may be difficult and painful, but it's better than nothingness.

“Have you called your father?”

:spooky: Rating: 9/10

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Darthemed posted:

#21.) Pulse (2001; DVD) *rewatch

:spooky: Rating: 9/10
I tried to watch this on prime the other night, but the hardcoded subtitles were so blown out that they were illegible in half the scenes and I gave up like ten minutes in. I take it that's not a problem with the version on the DVD?

I'll have to track it down somewhere else!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
3. Wolfen
:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO: Origin of Evil (released in 1981) :spooky:

(Also eligible for Full Moon, Paperbacks from Hell, Highbrow Horrors, *maybe* Wild Beasts?)

A wealthy business heir, his wife, and their chauffeur are violently killed one late night in New York. Police think the murder is tied to political extremists due to the victim's involvement in a lot of shady business deals overseas, and pairs detective Dewey Wilson (Albert Finney) with Rebecca Neff (Diane Verona), an expert on such crimes. Wilson, however, is more interested in the fact that they were violently sliced up with no trace of a metallic weapon, and the chief pathologist (Gregory Hines) finds some suspicious hairs on the bodies, and look, the title's right there.

This starts off very solid, always fun to see a police procedural style applied to something the police clearly aren't prepared to deal with. Director Michael Wadleigh brings a good amount of style and slickness to the filming, and this had a healthy budget for a studio horror film, like it was meant to be kinda high-end. (The studio apparently got cold feet and dumped it on the market with little publicity, Roger Ebert even complains about this in his review.) There's a really strong cast of character actors too, Finney's good, Hines is good, you have appearances by Edward James Olmos, Tom Noonan, Reginald VelJohnson, James Tolkan, and I apparently missed a cameo by Tom Waits. (EDIT: Apparently this scene was cut.)

However the good direction struggles with a screenplay that drags a lot in the middle; the film's a little under two hours and it seems we spend a lot of time with the main character kinda fumbling around. Olmos' character is a Native American activist who talks about being able to change shape, and while the film's handling of this subject matter isn't completely terrible, there's some inevitable Magic Native bullshit. There are quite a few red herrings and some odd plot beats. Also it's worth pointing out, there were three werewolf movies that came out in 1981, and this is the one nobody remembers, because there are no on-screen transformations and the wolves are just actual wolves. For much of the film we don't see them, but even when we do the editing is a little awkward because of the limitations of working with actual animals. (The film doesn't skimp on the gore, though.) There are some cool solarization effects for the wolves' point of view, though.

And yet I think this ultimately kinda pulls itself together. The third act is when we find out exactly what's going on and while I wish we'd found out sooner, it's a really solid premise for a werewolf story. This leads to a visually impressive and genuinely kinda tense finale, and I feel like overall that makes it worth the trip. It also helps that there's a nice score by James Horner, and you get to hear the beginnings of some of the motifs he'd use in Star Trek and Aliens. Definitely a movie that coulda been better than it was, but like, what's there is pretty neat.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 5, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Leatherhead posted:

I tried to watch this on prime the other night, but the hardcoded subtitles were so blown out that they were illegible in half the scenes and I gave up like ten minutes in. I take it that's not a problem with the version on the DVD?

I'll have to track it down somewhere else!
Looks like it’s also on Kanopy, so they might be worth a try. Since they’re library-affiliated, I’d hope that they’d put more work into quality-checking their stuff than Amazon.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO 2022 Edition :spooky:

Short Cuts

-Watch 60 minutes of short films. Write a review for each one. (Please write them in a single post, and try to provide links where possible.)

19.1) Offerings - 2019? - Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGlI2WJtSBk

Story: A couple tries to figure what offerings it will take to earn the Gods favor back.

Pretty much ended as I expected. Still, overall a nice little watch.

19.2) Happy Birthday - 2021 - Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EIrYvW76Q

Story: Strange things happen when you eat a mysterious birthday cake that appeared from nowhere.

This one suffers a bit from 'thumbnail reveals too much' syndrome, otherwise it went close to how I figured it would going to end. I thought she'd end up turning into a cake that we see appear to someone else.

19.3) In The Walls - 2020 - Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEypDAnnJL0

Story: Strange things happen when a woman moves into a new apartment.

If I was in this situation, I'd've started packing to move again the moment I'm putting a nail in the wall and it starts to bleed, lease be damned. Overall, this was okay. I did particularly like that some of the dialog was real world realistic rather than moviesque dialog such as the therapist saying You're the one keeping yourself there compared to how many times the person is more or less humored about things.

19.4) Slasher - 2021 - Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Qmmv_WZGk

Story: VR game goes wrong.

I genuinely think I'm the only person who actually reads the ToS on things. While it can take a bit of time, at least I can say I accepted with eyes open. In just the quick flashes we see in this short, was enough for me to be 'yeah, I'd be noping right out here' if I was the one in this situation. Overall, not bad, just nothing new here.

19.5) Lunch Ladies - 2022 - Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W-0BtiB92s

Story: A pair of lunch ladies get pushed to their limit when trying to achieve their dream.

This was just missing a few era music moments for it to fit perfectly fine in some early 80s high school film like the Ramones and Rock 'n' Roll High School. Barring the modern technology, the aesthetic is there. Again, nothing particularly new here, but it was a fun watch. I do admit I want that Cheesy Burger Bites recipe. With how this one was ending, I kinda find myself wondering if there was a sequel, how would it play out.

19.6) Costumes - 2020 - Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLkw0xJV-p4

Story: It's not just humans who dress up.

This was a bit of a quicky. Moment you see the one selfie, you know where this one is going. I enjoyed this one, and particularly liked when the monster just starts taking selfies of itself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

4. The Vault of Horror (1973), Youtube

Tried watching this on the youtube app on my Fire Stick and almost had the experience totally ruined for me - the resolution of the youtube video was piss-poor for some reason, and it dropped in 30-second ads literally every 2 and a half minutes or so. I got almost 10 minutes into the movie and I'd already had 4 ad breaks, it was ridiculous. I came close to turning it off, but I tried watching it on my phone instead and ended up with like 3 5-second ads over the course of the movie's entire runtime after that, and it was much more enjoyable. There was a snag in the last story (the one about the painter), the audio completely dropped out for like 5 minutes when he went to see the voodoo guy, but I was able to piece together what was going on. Not an ideal viewing experience, but oh well.

I like how this movie seemed to be competing with 'Tales from the Crypt' which came out the year prior, even though both movies are based on the same source material. Overall I think I preferred this one to 'Tales from the Crypt'; aside from one story sucking (the one about the OCD control freak and the messy wife) the rest were pretty even in quality and largely enjoyable. It's hard to pick a favorite because they've all got their merits, although I did get a giggle out of the "faked death" story completely lampshading itself by having the main character literally reading the novelization of the 'Tales from the Crypt' movie that had come out the previous year, and outright saying that nobody pays for horror stories.

1. 'Tales from the Crypt' (1972)
2. 'Trilogy of Terror' (1975)
3. 'Southbound' (2015)
4. 'The Vault of Horror' (1973)

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO 2022 Edition :spooky:

Behind the Screams

-Watch a film about or featuring filmmaking
-Watch a documentary about a film.
-Watch a documentary about a horror icon: directors, writers, actors, special effects artists, character (e.g., Freddy Kruger, Chucky), production companies, subgenres, etc.

5.) Hail to the Deadites
Steve Villeneuve | 2020 | Shudder

This is a crowdfunded documentary on the Evil Dead franchise and the fanbase surrounding it. I don’t necessarily find it as cringe as the reviews I’ve seen. It’s kind of interesting to see how these films have inspired people to take up cosplay, travel to other countries and meet friends in person for the first time, fall in love and get married (and then divorced), and get through devastating personal tragedy. It's legitimately nice to see the positive impacts films can have on a person's life. One thing I thought was neat was how the documentary was able to sidestep the obvious issue of being unable to use any footage from the Evil Dead films by using fanfilms and fan-recreations of scenes.

However, I found the film to be ultimately lacking because I kept comparing it to Birth of the Living Dead, a documentary I watched for the May Challenge. It similarly focused on Night of the Living Dead and its cultural legacy. However, that documentary had a great deal of critical analysis of Night that Hail to the Deadites does not offer for the Evil Dead series. As a result, it doesn’t really feel like that substantive of a documentary.

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: ˝
Total: 5/13
New: 5
Rewatches: 0
My Letterboxd list (in progress)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I wish the poster wasn't shooting for this kind of grim, it feels out of season with the movie

Horror in the High Desert -- (Dutch Marich ; 2021
Glitches, maybe? See spoiler.

I think I could make a decent argument that the entire plot is driven by cyberbullying, but I also don't care enough to make it. I picked a random movie and I'm kind of just shoving it into a category to keep being festive ; I already got my coveted spooky bingo status so I'm back to just watching for watching's sake.

The beginning of this movie is a weight dragging down the conclusion of this movie : or rather, it's a big wonderful hot-air balloon taking it to great heights and dashing it on the hard surface of disappointment. This is another mockumentary horror like Savageland, except as you're easing into it it's much slower and more personal. Gary Hinge was a hiker who suddenly went missing and no one knows where he went. But Gary wasn't just some rando hiker, be was basically a professional hiker who explored all over the Nevada high desert going for days at a time with just the contents of his backpack. It follows the timeline of his disappearance with lots of details on his background, his social life, his model train hobby ; there are interviews with his room-mate and his sister (and the PI the sister hired, played wonderfully badly and shady). They go over his blog and how he was being egged on by the internet to find out the truth behind a weird and creepy mystery he discovered in the desert. How even though he was terrified he went out there one more time to record what he saw.

Then it turns into a very disappointing found footage movie for the last 20 minutes and all the tension is gone. The creepy lean-to he saw was... some dude who looks like the Jackass Bad Grandpa thing, yeah he has a little lean-to cabin thing and wants to be left alone. I think it's supposed to be framed like he's some Hills Have Eyes guy and then he slasher-movies at him for a bit, Gary shoots him but nothing happens, stalking around the trees for a while, GRRR RAR FINAL SHOT SPOOK EM UPS. But what actually happens is that Gary comes up to this dude's house in the middle of the night, starts video taping him/the house while creepily whispering, the dude comes out and starts poking around with a machete looking whats up so Gary, who hasn't announced himself or anything loving shoots the dude and then later the dude finds him and kill him with the machete. The make up sucks, it's tense but it's all just filler for no payoff, the geography at the end doesn't make sense and really, Gary just seems like an rear end in a top hat who deserved. gently caress Gary, that was just some dude's little house who very clearly wanted to be left as alone as possible.

The ending should've been shorter and more implied or it should be overtly supernatural e.g. a curse he broke that caused it or something besides that.

6/10

9 down, 22 to go

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

10. Penda's Fen

"I am nothing pure!"

Penda's Fen is intellectual, dry, talky, on the stodgy side of things. It's also incredible, a magnificent rumination on orthodoxy and rebellion and finding the world more complex than you wanted it to be. It's calm and understated and uses that to speak about coming of age in a way that I found deeply moving. It's such an eloquent screenplay, every dialogue hums with poetic richness in the language. And in its own peculiar way Penda's Fen has a firecracker of a finale. Basically if you thought folk horror like The Wicker Man or Midsommar were cool but they would have been improved by way less stuff happening and more long discussions of Christian theology, Joan of Arc, and English national identity, you need to see Penda's Fen immediately!!

Spencer Banks plays Stephen Franklin, an uptight teen boy growing up as the son of a parson in the village of Pinvin. His passions are classical music, protestantism, and being an insufferable young prig; after his Marxist neighbor speaks in defense of strikers at a town meeting, Banks later sneers at home how fortunate it is that God has prevented them from having children and spreading their terrible values. Ugh! I'm sure all of you have known (or have been) young adults who were overbearingly self-righteous for how little they've fathomed the world. Banks nails it. And smartly, the film opens with his best side rather than his worst: a transcendent scene where Banks narrates an explanation of the narrative ideas of composer Edward Elgar's "The Dream of Gerontious," expertly intercut with beautiful wind-rustled fields and brief shots of sheet music that suggest the power of specific notes strongly enough that it even got through to a musical blockhead to me. If this kid can see beauty in a moment of dissonance before the divine, there's hope for him.

And it's exactly that thread that's pulled throughout Penda's Fen. The screenplay tugs apart his compact and simplistic worldview as he comes of age and to a new understanding of his religious values, ethnic heritage, nationalist participation, sexual identity. It starts with Banks chirping a bit too enthusiastically about a dream of his and what he knows about Manicheanism in the classroom. As a young absolutist he clearly relates to the idea of existence as a cosmic struggle between light and dark, and he later has to sheepishly ask his father why it's a heresy. But it is a heresy, and that's the first crack that widens (ultimately into a later magnetic image of a fissure tearing through the church floor as he plays the organ) - the subtle rebellion of preferring a cosmology that makes sense to him personally rather than towing the doctrinal line of what he is told. Soon his dreams are heating up too, with visions of his hand caressing the chest of a classmate who mocked his rugby performance, and waking up into the shock of a smiling stone devil squatting on his chest. It's a literalization of a night terror, but it's also the crushing weight of pagan strangeness that's come upon him.

Penda's Fen is explicitly queer. There's no ambiguity about the way Banks look on the male form lustfully, first as charged fantasy where a billow of hellfire rises to meet his hand as it creeps down his dream Adonis' belly, then in his lingering embrace of the young milkman when he's helped up from the roadside after a bike accident. What's much more ambiguous is how to interpret the expressions of queerness from 1974 in 2022. Banks identifies with an "otherworldly" angel who is male but sings with a female voice; when the other schoolboys bully him by forcing a pink ribbon in his hair he leaves it in and stares them down one by one until they are unnerved; by the end he explicitly says he is "neither man nor woman" in a speech rejecting binary dichotomies. Is Banks' character an egg hatching into trans nonbinary?

I think it's a valid reading but not a dominant one. Discourse on gender identity and sexuality has changed tremendously in 50 years, and there is definitely a long tradition in art and literature of presenting gay men's sexual interest in men as being an interior "womanly" quality in a way that would be at least mildly offensive if reused thoughtlessly today. So these aspects could have been intended by writer David Rudkin as homosexual signifiers rather than trans. But ultimately it's almost besides the point. Penda's Fen is anything but thoughtless: rebellion against heteronormativity is the point, thematically linked with half a dozen other rebellions against orthodoxy that inform the ultimate transformation of Banks into something that a supernatural vision anoints as a revolutionary messiah to keep the flame of a true, chaotic England alive.

TL;DR: Be gay, do witchcraft.

"There's one hope for man only. When the great concrete megacity chokes the globe from pole to pole, it shall already have bedded in some hidden crack the sacred seed of its own disintegration and collapse."

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: .5 / 5

Available for free on YouTube. Absolutely terrific recommendation from A True Jar Jar Fan, thank you for this one.

For the reasons I discussed, Penda's Fen checks off Scream, Queen! for Spooky Bingo.

Vanilla Bison fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 5, 2022

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
5. Evil Dead Trap (1988)

A news host is sent a snuff film and she goes off with her crew to find out more information about it.

Oh my how have I never heard about this before!? This film is absolutely nuts, it spends no time waiting to get started and get weirder as it goes on. Is it a grounded gritty slasher sure, is it warehouse full of saw traps sure, its a totally insane supernatural trip also yes. Also it's got a totally rocking song that sounds like it's something out of a giallo. Looking forward to checking out the sequels.

Please check this out, super recommend. Available on Amazon Prime (and various other streaming services)

This one is from my birth year so I'll put it down as origin of evil.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

#4: The Devil Within Her (1975)
:spooky: Goodnight, Mommy :spooky:

After she spurns his sexual advances, Joan Collins is cursed by a dwarf to give birth to an evil baby. The baby regularly climbs out of his crib to smash up his room, pushes his nanny into a lake and...decapitates Donald Pleasance with a shovel? I'll give this movie credit for one thing — it doesn't waste any time on a tedious "no one believes the victim" plot. Everyone who matters more or less recognizes right away that this baby is evil. Collins frets, she cries, she sobs, a whole range of emotions. There's a ridiculous exorcism scene where the baby demonstrates his unholy powers by...sliding across the floor a couple times.

It sounds like a campy roller coaster ride, and at times it is. Unfortunately, it's too dull in the other places to be anything more than a one-off viewing. Different characters have the same conversation in a few scenes. We watch characters run errands. Goofy fun in a few places but not enough to be a hidden gem. 2/5

1. Dracula (Spanish)(1931)
2. Trick r Treat (2007)
3. Ghost Ship (2002)
4. The Devil Within Her (1975)

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#6 - Predator Shorts
After enjoying Prey a whole lot I got a link to a fan film called WARRIOR: PREDATOR about a Native American girl fighting Predators. I didn't care for it, but it was hard to deny the outfit and facepaint were very similar to what Prey ended up using.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZBh2BW9CMs

This reminded me of the great Batman Dead End, which is basically Batman vs Aliens vs Predator and a decade later still an absolute joy to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPmNeZSjf8

Someone in the horror thread recommended ZvP, which has a fantastic style and I also highly recommend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbVTPftcgs

After this I rewatched Predator: Dark Ages, which is a decent fan film that goes for a great setting and looks surprisingly good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD8jAk274I

Last one was Predator: Final Stand which was absolute trash. A bunch of airsoft players, a lovely looking Predator, horrible choreography, my time with Predator fan films was over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAMtYwQUZg

However, Predator fan films were not done with me. Having watched the ones above YouTube would recommend me one fan film after the other and guessing this challenge was coming I saved them in hopes of finding something else worth the time.

So in the last few days I watched these;

# 6.1 - ACCORDING TO PLAN - Alien vs Predator Fan Film - 28 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL2LlBgjLG8
A spaceship with prisoners, guards, captured xenomorphs and a Predator crashes on a desert planet. Who will survive?
Very amateurish, with CGI that looks like it came form an Alien PS1 game, but what bothered me most was that every shot was too close to the cast.
You could argue that in the first part of the movie, on board of the ship, it is supposed to stress how claustrophobic walking around in unlit steel hallways must feel, but I honestly think that is giving it too much credit. Especially since the shots in the desert suffered from the same problem. Be prepared to look at a lot of faces.

What about the Predator? Well, I'm not sure. It barely showed up, usually out of focus and the few times it was the main focus, you guessed it, was so close you only saw part of its faceplate.

# 6.2 - Predator: Celtic Days - 23 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxi_RX9TK1M
Irish ex-pirates go looking for a missing person in the woods. Guess what they run into?
A Dickens troupe or Renaissance fair attendees with a comically evil leader get killed in the woods. This one was kind of sad, the Predator ganks two octogenarian armed with just a breadknife then shanks someone who tries to punch it. Not much of a hunt.

What about the Predator? It looked pretty decent.

# 6.3 - Untitled Predator Fan Film - 9 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFbGV9UNSPw

A group of GIs on the Solomon Islands in 1944 find a Japanese outpost with dozens of skinned bodies hanging from the trees and just one shocked survivor. Can you guess what happened?
Easily the best of the bunch. The denatured looks helps sell the GI outfits, matches a few classic moments like the tough guy calling for a barechested mano-a-mano only to end up screaming off-screen and is short and to the point. Fight choreography is a bit muddled, but I can't believe this was made on $500. Recommended!

What about the Predator? I thought it looked very good. They also framed the shots so it looked tall and imposing, which is often overlooked.

# 6.4 The Predator (HD) | Fan Film (18+) - 10 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVVJFhaW32c
A Special Forces team tries to kidnap a Russian scientist somewhere in the jungle and....guess what?
Airsoft players fight a cosplayer, who has serious issues moving around in his costume. Bad acting, horrible dialogue, terrible choreography, just awful all around.

What about the Predator? This one looked the part, but the movements are really off and don't sell it at all.

# 6.5 PREDATOR FAN FILM - NEW VERSION / The Creature From the Big Mountain - 14 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqdsOwQxl_M
Two Jews in the woods on the run from their Nazi pursuers, only for the hunters to become the hunted.
After a very strong start I figured we had another winner, but the ending presents a few ideas that made me scratch my head and the Predator itself is awful.
Predators are not hunters, they are game wardens making sure no human species become extinct. Thousands of Predators came to earth to stop the Nazis. Uh......okay?
The Jew who survives? Well, she was pregnant and gives birth to a baby boy; Dutch Schaeffer

What about the Predator? The worst one by far. Its faceplate has cheekpouches, like a hamster, making it look incredibly silly. The classic shape is distorted into something unrecognizable and wearing nothing but a loincloth means there isn't much that can compensate. When the mask comes off the face looks really wrong as well.

#6.6 Predators World War - 29 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFB4dnx6vTs
After shooting down a Japanese fighter plane over Europe (yes, really) an American WW2 pilot crash lands somewhere in France. A resistance fighter helps him escape the Nazis, but what else came from the sky?
This one starts off shooting for the stars, but it appears that was where they spent most of their enthusiasm and with one exception the remainder is just a long, uninteresting slog.
The very dark black and white filter obscures much, probably for the best, but I did find the film improving halfway when the Predator appears and the movie shifts to color. This scene stands out and I also enjoy it being one of the few shorts that uses the Predator POV, heat vision and all. Sadly, it doesn't last. The main problem is pacing. Every scene is twice as long as it should be and it drags. By the time you get to the no-more-than-decent finale you don't care anymore.
Oh yeah, there is a weird yellowface scene, it was so unexpected I just giggled.

What about the Predator? It is very unconvincing, basically a guy in a fatsuit covered in stockings. No effort was made to make it look like skin and the helmet has a very cheap, plastic look to it. I couldn't shake the feeling it was a CGI thing added later. He also really liked pushing people instead of stabbing them.

After nearly 2 hours of Predator shorts I can say that I saw the best ones before the challenge, but there was still a good one in the recent batch. Untitled is very enjoyable.
In case anyone want to spend some time with our lovable alien hunter, my recommendations would be;
1. Batman: Dead End
2. ZvP
3. Untitled

Counted for "Short Cuts"

#7 - Slash/Back

This is one of the movies I was most excited for this October. It would the The Thing mixed with Attack the Block, extremely my vibe.
Sadly, while there is a more than a bit of good in here, I found it to be mostly disappointing.
The good thing is that I really like the setting and the area is shot beautifully. The arctic town feels cold while avoiding just showing snow, it was isolated and deprived of so many things we consider normal in our lives. The group of girls do a decent job and their camaraderie is believable.
The problem is it falls short on the horror part. Hoping for The Thing wasn't just me having unrealistic expectations or thinking Aliens + Arctic, the movie itself has one of the girls describe the defibrillator scene; they want you to think of The Thing. So what do you expect? Parasites, mutations, monstrous flesh heaps, organs oozing and melting into others, bodies changing, flesh absorbed by flesh, anything would have worked, but instead nearly none of that happens.
There is a polar bear with a tentacle coming out of its eye early on, leading you to expect more, but after two short scenes it is replaced by two humans, who are basically no different from zombies. These are the monsters for the rest of the movie, which was very underwhelming.
There is a shot of a giant, tentacled biological space ship, sucking blood from wildlife that really had my hopes up, but don't expect that to come back in some sort of finale as it just flies off without any sort of confrontation. No, really. Both zombies get killed in the town and the girls see the space ship lift off from afar, leaving. Roll credits.
I felt cheated by this, it had so much potential but the horror is scarce and flat out disappointing.

Counted for "Spaced Invaders"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

4.5. 60+ Minutes of Halloween Specials

Hilloween (King of the Hill)

King of the Hill is one of my all time favorite shows so I'm a little biased but I think this is one of the best Halloween sitcom episodes out there. It's fun seeing Hank on the less conservative side of an argument and the parody of Evangelicals is 100% spot on. The ending with all of the adults walking down the street in homemade costumes is great and "Get out of my house... Exodus" is one of the best lines in the series.

Treehouse of Horror V (The Simpsons)

All of the Treehouse of Horror episodes from the classic era of The Simpsons are good but this is the best of them. Non-stop excellent jokes from start to finish from a show at the top of its game. I've lost count of how many times I've seen this episode and could probably recite the script from memory at this point.

Who Got Dee Pregnant? (It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia)

A fun Rashomon-style episode where The Gang tries to remember the events of a Halloween party to figure out which of them got Dee pregnant. Lots of good jokes in this one and the evolution of Dee's bird costume in their memories is incredible.

:spooky:Spooky Bingo - Halloween Is Special:spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

11. The Last Exorcism

A solid, well-paced found footage movie about a sham "exorcist" who ends up wrapped up in a real case of demonic possession. And it took me about 45 minutes to connect the dots that the lead was also Howard Hamlin in Better Call Saul! Movie doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking, but everything it does, it does well. Also it's extremely funny that Caleb Landry Jones has just been forever typecast as "has completely loving rancid vibes".

4 out of 5!

11/31, watched: Scary Movie, Final Destination 4, Happy Death Day, Final Destination, No One Gets Out Alive, Smile, Freaky, Body Bags, Alien Psychosis, The Invisible Man, The Last Exorcism

And by checking off The Devil Made Me Do It, that is, by my count, a BINGO!

Golden Years: The Invisible Man
Scream, Queen: Freaky
The Devil Made Me Do It: The Last Exorcism
Goodnight Mommy: Smile
Spaced Invaders: Alien Psychosis
Origin of Evil: Body Bags