Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

edit: terrible snipe so I'll edit in the quote

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Without stepping on minivan goon's toes, that kit is *probably fine* but don't limit yourself to looking for recovery gear just on FORE EX FORE sites.

Other places that sell quality straps, snatch blocks/pulleys and shackles are: rigging stores, industrial/construction supply, and arborist supply businesses.

I don't have quite the same brand name of rope that he has, but I picked up a bunch of Dyneema ropes of varying lengths from an arborist supply store and a bunch of soft shackles from there too. For extra they splice eyes in the end and a few more bucks gets some chafe protection over the eyes.

I think the only things I was unable to find at any of those places are snatch rings and snatch rope/kinetic recovery straps. But snatch rings seem to be somewhat new on the scene, and snatch/kinetic recovery poo poo seems to be somewhat specialized for 4x4 type stuff.

Admittedly, I do have a princess auto snatch block.

I'm not saying don't patronize Billyjoejimbobzeke's fore ex fore store, but rather there are other places that you can look and find quality gear. Sometimes cheaper.
Thanks for your ideas on sourcing, I'll check into them especially if I can patronize some local places.

\/\/\/ what you didn't lead with "let me show you the pig balls website"?

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hey ryanrs, do you have a twitter/instagram/other place where you post photos of your van? I was telling a coworker (who also uses a converted Toyota Sienna as a mini camper) about your van, and she was curious to see more. I didn't want to lead with "so have you heard of the dead internet comedy forum Something Awful Dot Com? No no it's not like that"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Shameful not promoting the pig ball website

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SHAMEFUL!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Hey ryanrs, do you have a twitter/instagram/other place where you post photos of your van? I was telling a coworker (who also uses a converted Toyota Sienna as a mini camper) about your van, and she was curious to see more. I didn't want to lead with "so have you heard of the dead internet comedy forum Something Awful Dot Com? No no it's not like that"

Absolutely not. My van is extremely AI and belongs nowhere else. If your coworker is not cool enough to read the thread, then they are not cool enough to see the van, sorry.

e: I forgot I posted some videos on Vimeo. However they are all from the van's point of view. They do not show the van, ha ha.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 11, 2022

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Skid Plate Engineering

Here are my current pair of skid plates. Front of van = top of image. The largest loads are carried by the stubby posts on the bottom corners of the upper plate. These stubs bolt to the engine cradle / unibody interface.

Force is concentrated where the stubs are welded to the steel plate, and the steel plate yields next to this weld.

The plates are 3/16" and fairly heavy, though not stupidly so. The two bolts hold the plates together, but is not enough to convey any stiffness. So even though you have 2x 3/16" steel in place, it does not behave anything like a 3/8" piece of steel.

Changes

Starting with the original CAD files, I'm getting a new front plate cut, since the current one is too bent up for easy modification. But first some changes to make it stronger.

Carve out a piece so the plates no longer overlap. Make them coplanar. Still 3/16" A36 steel.

New 1/4" steel plate across the spacer stubs. Welded to the front plate, bolted to the rear plate. Increase clamping pressure a lot to gain some stiffness from the rear plate overlap. Welding to the front plate will gain a lot of stiffness, even though the overlap is only 3" wide. The top plate will have captive nuts on the rear so installation/removal of the 10 bolts will be easy enough with an impact.

X-ray view.

Net weight increase: <10 lbs

I am unsure how the new bolted joint will perform. I do not know how to analyze this kind of joint where the forces will be high enough to cause yield and slipping. Figuring it out will be more than a day or two of reading, though, so I probably won't. I think I'll be ok since the old design was nearly strong enough, and the part is not safety critical.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Final design of Skid Plate v2.

CNC plasma cut 3/16" steel. I decided not to make the overlay plate out of thicker steel. 2x 3/16" is enough.

Reinforcing the rear skid plate with a strip of 2 x 3/16 cold rolled.

The welds aren't so pretty, but they are strong. Tomorrow I will weld the main plate.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Celebrating a new gas tank with a triple digit fill-up. Installation was easy since I just paid my mechanic to do it.

Not shown: The fuel sender is calibrated differently, and now E means you are completely out of gas.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Those welds look great.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
$6.19/gallon? Ouch, it's down to like $3.79 here in Massachusetts.

And your welds look perfectly fine. It's not TIG, and it's structural. It'll be good.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sharkytm posted:

$6.19/gallon? Ouch, it's down to like $3.79 here in Massachusetts.

And your welds look perfectly fine. It's not TIG, and it's structural. It'll be good.

The gently caress. I paid $5.79 here in Seattle yesterday. Why do you get such cheap gas?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kesper North posted:

The gently caress. I paid $5.79 here in Seattle yesterday. Why do you get such cheap gas?

246 Main St Buzzards Bay, MA 02532

$3.35
Regular

$3.79
Mid-Grade

$3.99
Premium

$4.73
Diesel

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sharkytm posted:

246 Main St Buzzards Bay, MA 02532

$3.35
Regular

$3.79
Mid-Grade

$3.99
Premium

$4.73
Diesel

MAPCO
5500 TN-153
Hixson, TN

$2.87
Regular

$3.45
Mid-Grade

$3.67
Premium

$4.29
Diesel

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Please don't fill this thread with examples of how gas in high cost of living, liberal states costs more than low cost of living conservative states. It's so boring.

Nice welds. Did you end up taking classes or did you already know how?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

CAD + CNC = easy fit up, so long as you don't weld it upside-down.

Welding

Two skid plates assembled.

There are a couple more details to be welded, more weld nuts, drill some holes, then paint.

An interesting video that explores the question of what is a skid plate for, anyway? My skid plates are ablative armor that I smash into rocks with the full weight of the minivan. The 3/16" steel was almost strong enough, and still protected the oil pan even when bent. Aluminum would have been completely destroyed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTajhFtvQlc

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Nice welds. Did you end up taking classes or did you already know how?

Last year I took a 15 hour, 2 day MIG class at The Crucible, an industrial art non-profit. Then I went and bought a welder and a pile of steel.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Some pics showing the reinforced design, and why I placed the extra steel where I did.

Post-trip damage pics, before any unbending was attempted.

The reinforcement dog bone, where the two parts overlap. It's only visible in CAD (with transparency), or as the oxide colors from the welds on the far side.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Rear A/C and Heater Delete

I had my mechanic do the work. When I got the van back, the A/C worked great, better than before. But then two days later, I found a couple tablespoons of compressor oil under the van. gently caress.

After talking to my mechanic, he said he put dye into the system when he recharged it. So I went and found the rag I used to wipe up the oil, and it did not fluoresce under UV. Therefore it must be residual oil that dripped out of the rear A/C evaporator (now disconnected and open to the world).

Success!

e: I just discovered an unswitched 40A Jcase fuse that feeds the rear a/c and heater blowers. Since I don't need those anymore, it's the perfect circuit to power my offroad lights. The light controller is probably the next project once I get the new skid plates installed.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 4, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That's a seriously over-engineered skid plate, way better than most of the junk seen on off-roaders around here. When's the next outing?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Maybe Mendocino National Forest this weekend? There will be lots of deer hunters out, so that's not so great in terms of camp sites and traffic. Gotta find my orange hat. Deer season ends in the Northern CA B zones on Oct 23.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Fastener Trivia

Using flat head screws to center the weld nuts. The tapered head forces the holes to be concentric.

I'm mating these ungraded, soft weld nuts to 180ksi grade 9 bolts. It's one of those design specs that makes you wonder how high was the engineer? (A: moderately)

While I'd like to use hardened nuts, those can't be welded. One of the little quality of life upgrades to the skid plate is that all fasteners are now single side access. So you do not need to reach around with a second wrench. That becomes pretty important when you spam nuts across the entire joint.

The grade 9 bolts are for the abrasion resistance of the hex heads. In practice, I've found the bolt heads don't get messed up enough to cause removal problems, although they are a wear item. Just replace them before they get too hosed up.

The reason I used 11 bolts instead of just 2 is to clamp the two skid plates together really goddamn hard across the entire interface. That way they behave less like two independent 3/16" steel plates, and more like a single 3/8" plate (which is stiffer and stronger than 2x 3/16). Professional engineers have formulas and tables to calculate how many bolts they need, and the spacing. But I don't know that stuff so I just used a lot of bolts.

Main mount point and green Toyota M14 bolt. The bolt goes through the skid plate, engine cradle, and into the unibody.

The first version of the skid plate used 1.5" OD, 1/8 wall tubing. I upgraded to 2" OD, 3/16 wall tubing for a couple reasons. The old tube was stronger than the 3/16" plate, but would be weaker than the upgraded double layer 3/16".

Another problem was that the old 1.25" ID was barely large enough to fit a 19mm socket. So if you ever needed to replace that bolt, you couldn't use standard metric, it had to be small-head JIS.

There is practically no weight penalty to oversizing the tubes, because they are only 1.5" long.

Bigger, stronger, possibly more likely to snap the engine cradle bolts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ryanrs posted:

Professional engineers have formulas and tables to calculate how many bolts they need, and the spacing. But I don't know that stuff so I just used a lot of bolts.

I learned that junk way back and all I remember is that it's usually fewer bolts needed than you think...But better to be on the safe side if you're not mathing it. :) Those ones are pretty large too so they should provide a ton of clamp load and stiffness.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 5, 2022

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The new skid plate looks like a great improvement, lessons learned always makes version 2+ that much better. All the extra bolts are that much more margin and it's not like the weight will hurt much, you're not trying to get into orbit or anything.

I never thought of the trick for centering the nuts before, I'm going to use that, thanks.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nice work on the skid plate, looks solid. Another way to keep the head of your boots from getting chewed up is to weld big washers that are thicker than your bolt head height around the holes so the washers take the impact and not the heads, can add a lot beyond relying on harder fasteners to prevent abrasion.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Get Bent

Engage clamps!

Deploy stabilizer!

Lift to bend.

It took less than 50 lbs of lifting force to bend the steel. It was very easy to make small adjustments in the angle. Note that I am bending along a dashed line that was 80% cut with a plasma cutter. Once I check the angle on the car, I'll weld up most of the cut line, restoring the strength of the plate.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Those ones are pretty large too so they should provide a ton of clamp load and stiffness.

Skid plate bolts are all 1/2"-13. This size has the winning combination of good local availability and compatibility with the Sienna OEM lug nut wrench (19mm).

It's nice to get the little things right wrong.

e: gently caress, the Sienna lugs are actually 21mm. :rip: my smugposting.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 7, 2022

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Do you have a picture of the cuts you made to make it bendable? I need to bend some plate up to make ramps and don't have access to a brake anymore, however I do have a cutting torch.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The cuts were done with a CNC plasma cutter, not by hand.

e: click here for maximum pixels

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 6, 2022

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Still a great project and I'm enjoying it. Sadly, not much else to say except I'm curious about what you're going to do with your OEM wiring...

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

I had my mechanic do the work. When I got the van back, the A/C worked great, better than before. But then two days later, I found a couple tablespoons of compressor oil under the van. gently caress.

After talking to my mechanic, he said he put dye into the system when he recharged it. So I went and found the rag I used to wipe up the oil, and it did not fluoresce under UV. Therefore it must be residual oil that dripped out of the rear A/C evaporator (now disconnected and open to the world).

Success!

gently caress.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sucks.

This is where you buy about 250 bucks in AC service tools and never talk to a pro again.

I've used my AC equipment about a dozen times now. It's more than paid for itself in favors done for friends and family alone.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Is it really only a couple hundred bucks?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For a vacuum pump, manifold gauge set, and a can tap - yep. The only thing you won't be able to do is properly evacuate/recapture the refrigerant that's in there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It currently is handling the evacuating part on its own.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

For a vacuum pump, manifold gauge set, and a can tap - yep. The only thing you won't be able to do is properly evacuate/recapture the refrigerant that's in there.

From my time hopping around rooftops, that's affectionately called environmental reclaim :science:

Which is why the argument that they're sealed systems and their environmental impacts aren't relevant is bullshit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Here's the stuff I bought (other than the actual vehicle parts) to fix AC on my van.

Vacuum pump $90
Vacuum pump oil - not clear if this was necessary or not based on my use but wanted to be safe. $10
O-rings $20
Refrigerant $90 (I think it was ~60 when I bought it though so see if there isn't another brand on sale)
A/C gauge set although I'm not sure it was this one, it looked awfully close if it wasn't. $50

All in, that's $260 and you'll have extra refrigerant left over.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The prices might be off since I started 8 years ago but yeah, I have an HF gauge set, FJC vacuum pump off Amazon I think, a can tap for doing R12 and R152a systems, a can tap for R134a cans, UV dye oil, a UV flashlight, a postal scale for monitoring what's left in a can in case I need to do a fill that's not a multiple of 12oz, and a green hnbr o ring kit. The last one is a just in case thing, I normally spend 3 bucks at rockauto on the vehicle specific o ring kit for the vehicle in question anytime I start working on one.

It's only 4 figures to get into HVAC work if you are working on systems that aren't already empty. That one's heading that direction already, and you probably should get your mechanic to drain the system free under his work warranty, but you can do AC work pretty easy otherwise. You'll often see pro level AC machines on marketplace and craigslist and for sale at picknpull yards that are upgrading their reclaim equipment, too.

E: check out Motronic's AI AC thread for a basic introduction. You technically need an EPA license to do this but if you're only working on friends and families cars and your shitboxes it's very likely it'll never come into question.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

builds character posted:

Here's the stuff I bought (other than the actual vehicle parts) to fix AC on my van.

Vacuum pump $90
Vacuum pump oil - not clear if this was necessary or not based on my use but wanted to be safe. $10
O-rings $20
Refrigerant $90 (I think it was ~60 when I bought it though so see if there isn't another brand on sale)
A/C gauge set although I'm not sure it was this one, it looked awfully close if it wasn't. $50

All in, that's $260 and you'll have extra refrigerant left over.

Holy gently caress R134a has gotten expensive, but I suppose everything has. That pack of R134a has doubled in price since January 2021.

Walmart is still cheaper but I distinctly remember paying sub-$4 per can, now it's $9.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I forced myself to really learn the basics the past 2 months and you can get ac repair set for $100 ish now. Here is the $63 vacuum pump I bought New Position 3.0 CFM Single-Stage 5 Pa Rotary Vane Economy Vacuum Pump for HVAC Air Conditioner Refrigerant Food Packaging Milking 1/4" Flare Inlet Port Blue https://a.co/d/0GUB9Nu

Then just pick a good rated gauge set that includes all the taps and such for $35-50 on Amazon. I’ve had success now on 4 vehicles with this setup

There are better and stronger vacuum pumps but we are only talking $90-100 for them bs $62

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holy gently caress R134a has gotten expensive, but I suppose everything has. That pack of R134a has doubled in price since January 2021.

Walmart is still cheaper but I distinctly remember paying sub-$4 per can, now it's $9.

That's weird, I was paying like 7 a can at Walmart 3 years ago.