Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zedprime posted:

Maybe because it's self evident in HR land. This would be a qualifying life event: change in coverage due to qualifications. And give you an enrollment period to affirm the new coverage or get rid of it. Your partner could also report it as a QLE for partner coverage change if for some reason it made sense to hop into the same plan then.

Its entirely possible they wouldn't bother to change it up on you which would stop it being a QLE but let's be real that's them leaving money in the table.

Cheaper individual coverage is pretty common right now, most companies see spouse coverage as a place to make up their bottom line by forcing spouses who are otherwise ineligible for an employment based insurance plan to get on their partners.

A few years ago it was just either You or You+Family plans that drove us from combining our accounts. No kids so no sense in shelling out way more for insurance. When they introduced the plans with increased gradients last year it still didn't make sense to combine because we were in the same bracket. I'm interested to see what happens with my insurance as it makes sense to get her on my plan due to the discrepancy in our pay (I'm Just A Guy in the grand scheme of things, she's the actual asset to the company) at our current rates, but if my increases total above 5% and that gets factored into what I pay then it makes less sense to combine plans. I hate employer based insurance.

TheSpartacus posted:

Your insurance sucks, but that's true of almost all American insurance plans.

I remember a small lab's plan, they told us it was catastrophic insurance and if you ever got injured you were likely to go bankrupt... thanks guys.

This is standard in a lot of places now. It's really depressing that I'll pay thousands a year to be told to die in a ditch if I get actual rear end sick. We have DNRs and are getting living wills drawn up where we're moving for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'd like to find me a woman who looks at me the way Democrats look at insurance executives

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My company not only has made it more and more expensive for an employee + family plan every single year I’ve been here, they also added a $150/month premium for anyone who had a spouse on the company insurance but the spouse was offered insurance through their job. The moment we relocated 3 years ago and my wife resigned her job I immediately called HR to get my $150/mo back in my paycheck.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

McGavin posted:

I get that reading is hard, but it says the manager is a Canadian working outside of North America.

We can narrow it down by looking at the list of countries where Jehovah's Witnesses are banned I guess. Russia is the most obvious, France called them a cult for a long time.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

A few years ago it was just either You or You+Family plans that drove us from combining our accounts. No kids so no sense in shelling out way more for insurance. When they introduced the plans with increased gradients last year it still didn't make sense to combine because we were in the same bracket. I'm interested to see what happens with my insurance as it makes sense to get her on my plan due to the discrepancy in our pay (I'm Just A Guy in the grand scheme of things, she's the actual asset to the company) at our current rates, but if my increases total above 5% and that gets factored into what I pay then it makes less sense to combine plans. I hate employer based insurance.

This is standard in a lot of places now. It's really depressing that I'll pay thousands a year to be told to die in a ditch if I get actual rear end sick. We have DNRs and are getting living wills drawn up where we're moving for a reason.

God forbid you have a domestic partner or any other Long Term Partner Arrangement that isn't a spouse, because then adding them to your health insurance benefit becomes imputed income and is taxable.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

toplitzin posted:

God forbid you have a domestic partner or any other Long Term Partner Arrangement that isn't a spouse, because then adding them to your health insurance benefit becomes imputed income and is taxable.

That's assuming you can even get on that person's insurance, which I can't. I have to go through the marketplace. Indiana doesn't have common law marriages and we're not really in a hurry to get married either. We maintain separate bank accounts, split the bills/food, we even have separate bedrooms due to different sleep problems*. It's worked out great because we're both pretty independently minded.

We really need to get some kind of document allowing the other to be in the room/sign for stuff on medical things though.

*Meaning I talk in my sleep, argue in my sleep, sleep walk, sleep pick things up, and she wakes up at the drop of a pin.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I keep having to explain in meetings to review our customer trip that all the work that boomer coworker was doing had no bearing on the system we were actually supposed to be working on. Everyone is constantly bewildered by this. "So when he fixed the problems, the system worked?" Nope! Different system!

Turns out the system we were supposed to be working on had some devices configured incorrectly from the vendor. We didn't bring the right tools to configure them in the field, or configure them beforehand on the bench, or even check if they were configured correctly at all. I am being generous with the pronoun "we".

I don't ever want to hear him complaining about pronouns. Today he comes in to my office about a problem another customer is having. "When they turn it on and plug it in, it errors out. And when they plug it in and turn it on, it errors out. But when they turn it off and on, it's ok." The pronoun "it" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, because it refers to multiple things. I have to use nouns to pull the information out if this guy. Then I call the salesman who supposedly gave boomer this information, totally different answers. Specific answers. Some answers "I don't know" which is a great answer when trying diagnose something. Really sad that I'm getting more detail out of a sales guy than my boomer coworker with an engineering degree.
Boomer is asking me if I want to make a trip out to this customer. Hell yes I do. This might be something to do with that one and only system he cares about mucking around with.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Also when my boss dropped by my office to ask if I had partaken in any project management training, I reminded him that it coincided with a vendor meeting that he scheduled. He then hightailed it out of my office with alacrity.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Also if you are missing a phone please contact the receptionist as one was found in the men's bathroom.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I swear, some of these kegs I'm getting back from our own taproom and restaurants are as filthy as the rental kegs we started getting at the place I worked in the US when we started contract brewing for a larger place.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Sapozhnik posted:

I'd like to find me a woman who looks at me the way Democrats look at insurance executives

That's sick and I wish I thought of it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So sick it needs health insurance!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Escape From Noise posted:

I swear, some of these kegs I'm getting back from our own taproom and restaurants are as filthy as the rental kegs we started getting at the place I worked in the US when we started contract brewing for a larger place.

Where do they put them in the restaurant? The trash?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

Where do they put them in the restaurant? The trash?

I think they just put them in the warehouse area kind of dirty already and then you have a warm environment with sugar and nutrients and nature does the rest. Still haven't found anything on top as weird as I have in the US. Eggs, slour, and noodles were pretty standard. Pieces of pizza were weirdly common. The head brewer challened me to find anything weirder than an entire pizza like he had. Closest I got was a toothbrush and travel sized toothpaste.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

I think they just put them in the warehouse area kind of dirty already and then you have a warm environment with sugar and nutrients and nature does the rest. Still haven't found anything on top as weird as I have in the US. Eggs, slour, and noodles were pretty standard. Pieces of pizza were weirdly common. The head brewer challenged me to find anything weirder than an entire pizza like he had. Closest I got was a toothbrush and travel sized toothpaste.

A friend of mine once found a latex fetish suit on top of a fruit machine in a pub

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

A friend of mine once found a latex fetish suit on top of a fruit machine in a pub

Jackpot!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My company just invited everyone to a mental health workshop titled 'How to Cope with Transition'

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m staying late right now to hand in my resignation because my boss (who is the 3rd boss I have had here in as many months) decided to come in late.

I’m expecting a huge pissbaby meltdown and them telling me not to come back in for my notice period, but if they do ask me to work it I’ll just come in and do very little for the week. Attrition in this place is absolutely insane and I can’t wait to get off this hellride and go back to my old job, where they are desperate enough to get me back that they’re at least bringing me in on more money than I left on.

It’s still a paycut from my current salary, but the lesson is sometimes the ridiculous money just isn’t worth it! That was the only reason I quit and what a regretful couple of months thats been.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Aramoro posted:

My company just invited everyone to a mental health workshop titled 'How to Cope with Transition'

Someone's buying your company or there are about to be massive reorgs/layoffs.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's assuming you can even get on that person's insurance, which I can't. I have to go through the marketplace. Indiana doesn't have common law marriages and we're not really in a hurry to get married either. We maintain separate bank accounts, split the bills/food, we even have separate bedrooms due to different sleep problems*. It's worked out great because we're both pretty independently minded.

We really need to get some kind of document allowing the other to be in the room/sign for stuff on medical things though.

*Meaning I talk in my sleep, argue in my sleep, sleep walk, sleep pick things up, and she wakes up at the drop of a pin.

Before we were married my wife lost her job and was in that weird spot where she was too educated for a lot of retail jobs and inexperienced enough (we were two to three years out of college) that she didn't qualify for a lot of even entry level jobs which required five years of experience. We lived together but weren't married so I couldn't put her on my insurance so instead she had to pay for COBRA. I can't even think of how much money we would have saved if there was some form of Domestic Partnership coverage while she was unemployed/had minimal coverage for a couple years. I do highly suggest getting some documents drawn up, though. When we first moved in together we had my friend's lawyer father put together a bunch of documents that gave each other power of attorney on the other, formalized the Do Not Resuscitate conditions (basically one of those "if I'm living through machines just unplug me after a couple weeks" things) and explicitly barred our parents from interfering with our requests if we were both unable to make decisions. Because we're moving and we'll have different living conditions we need to get a bunch of that done again soon.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Aramoro posted:

My favorite one of these workshops was brought on after management apparently heard us remarking/complaining about how stressed out we were (because we were severely understaffed in a peer-created environment where we all work together to support each other & spread the load - which can only go so far)

So they brought in an ex-cop consultant who proceeded to lead a presentation on how to avoid getting killed by randos* while we were doing our field inspections. Which was so wildly off the mark for what we needed (spoiler: it doesn't exist at our level) that we were actually amused.

*(As field property adjusters working in Philadelphia/suburbs, you can never know for sure what exactly you are walking into or what can happen while you're in someone's house; it can get a bit harrowing. It's rare but it happens)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Someone's buying your company or there are about to be massive reorgs/layoffs.

No one big enough to buy us would be allowed to buy us so it's not that. I think it's very possibly bad decision making.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Too many people complaining the management is poo poo, must be because they're not transitioning to the new work environment properly.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m staying late right now to hand in my resignation because my boss (who is the 3rd boss I have had here in as many months) decided to come in late.

I’m expecting a huge pissbaby meltdown and them telling me not to come back in for my notice period, but if they do ask me to work it I’ll just come in and do very little for the week. Attrition in this place is absolutely insane and I can’t wait to get off this hellride and go back to my old job, where they are desperate enough to get me back that they’re at least bringing me in on more money than I left on.

It’s still a paycut from my current salary, but the lesson is sometimes the ridiculous money just isn’t worth it! That was the only reason I quit and what a regretful couple of months thats been.

man, the turnover at that drug manufacturing plant was... I don't think I'll ever see anything like it again. When I was a full blown gowning trainer and team lead, I silently gave most people I was training about 2 months after exiting 6 weeks of training, despite having to don and doff a full bunny suit many multiple times in training. No amount of training gets you ready for the hellish reality of working in an aseptic manufacturing cleanroom, or the fact that the first month you're donning, you're holding up everyone behind you for tens to twenties of minutes; which will then extend because you keep loving up because you're nervous, and people are pissed about room personnel limits, and having to don around you. To be clear, when I left at 5 years, I was a midfield oldtimer as far as fillers went. There were some folks that had been there for 15-20, mostly people who had been there between 2-6.

The majority of people I trained quit within 60-90 days of having to start working actual production in a cleanroom, usually no-call. Sometimes walkout. Very rarely on good terms. A whole lot of times it was, "I didn't realize I was claustrophobic until I had to do it for hours, so I just never came back." A lot of times I would txt them back, "if it wasn't the physical working conditions, it would have been the management that got you." It takes a real special type of type-A when dealing with management rear end in a top hat who can mind-over-matter making aseptic connections, without being able to see or breathe or touch anything other than the fitting and the clamp with any part of your body, to do that job.

That place just chewed people up and spit them out faster than I've ever seen, and I still don't know how I made it 5 years there without committing a murder in the ranks of the management.

PainterofCrap posted:

My favorite one of these workshops was brought on after management apparently heard us remarking/complaining about how stressed out we were (because we were severely understaffed in a peer-created environment where we all work together to support each other & spread the load - which can only go so far)

So they brought in an ex-cop consultant who proceeded to lead a presentation on how to avoid getting killed by randos* while we were doing our field inspections. Which was so wildly off the mark for what we needed (spoiler: it doesn't exist at our level) that we were actually amused.

*(As field property adjusters working in Philadelphia/suburbs, you can never know for sure what exactly you are walking into or what can happen while you're in someone's house; it can get a bit harrowing. It's rare but it happens)

"Hey, you're all stressed, how about an adult DARE class?!"

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 5, 2022

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just gonna post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loPPLyG__jY

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

The majority of people I trained quit within 60-90 days of having to start working actual production in a cleanroom, usually no-call. Sometimes walkout. Very rarely on good terms. A whole lot of times it was, "I didn't realize I was claustrophobic until I had to do it for hours, so I just never came back." A lot of times I would txt them back, "if it wasn't the physical working conditions, it would have been the management that got you." It takes a real special type of type-A when dealing with management rear end in a top hat who can mind-over-matter making aseptic connections, without being able to see or breathe or touch anything other than the fitting and the clamp with any part of your body, to do that job.

My last job was at an aseptic chemistry lab, and i thought it was great, up until it got bought out and the new bosses outsourced the work elsewhere, but really? I didnt at all mind the aseptic nature of my work in my cleanroom and we were making medical chemicals used directly on people. I was there four years, and the gowning was never the problem. Standards were high, sure, but it meant we had ways to prove our work was good.

Better than my current job, where i am waiting endlessly for machines to finish running hours and hours and hours of samples, loving just HURRY UP

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Wait, are you not allowed to breathe?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I feel like every couple of weeks I learn a new corporate slang term. A couple of weeks ago, it was "popcorn". More recently, it was "dog food". I wonder what will come next. :geno:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rotinaj posted:

My last job was at an aseptic chemistry lab, and i thought it was great, up until it got bought out and the new bosses outsourced the work elsewhere, but really? I didnt at all mind the aseptic nature of my work in my cleanroom and we were making medical chemicals used directly on people. I was there four years, and the gowning was never the problem. Standards were high, sure, but it meant we had ways to prove our work was good.

Better than my current job, where i am waiting endlessly for machines to finish running hours and hours and hours of samples, loving just HURRY UP

I was working on vial filling machines with a fast rotating staff at a plant that specifically sought out poo poo other plants wouldn't touch to undercut, it was 24/7, and the work environment had been toxic for decades.

I am very much going to miss ipc2/3 soldering for whatever I do next.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Aramoro posted:

The Trans Agenda is finally making its move!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

gently caress, I am so glad we only have to deal with our own kegs here and not any from a keg company. The dirties I'd get from the keg company at the last place I worked were universally horrifying, especially anything from Three Floyds. There was one time they'd obviously put a clean keg collar over an old one that was rotting away and had cemented itself to the surface. The worst was the one where old beer had somehow solidified into a semi-gelatinous mass that even concentrated caustic and a chisel couldn't budge. Here, the worst we have to deal with is the bartenders forgetting a keg for weeks and a bit of mold developing on the fitting.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I'll be sending in my two week notice in the next hour or so.

Found a place willing to work with me to get me to change career paths into something more product-oriented. Taking a decent pay cut and a big leap of faith to do it but I think it's an opportunity I won't have very many of.

Weird feeling.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

ben shapino posted:

Found a place willing to work with me to get me to change career paths into something more product-oriented. Taking a decent pay cut and a big leap of faith to do it but I think it's an opportunity I won't have very many of.

Weird feeling.

I did something similar at the beginning of the year, quite a weird feeling. But it was a huge improvement for me and I'm beyond glad that I made the move. I hope you have a similar experience.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ben shapino posted:

Weird feeling.

gently caress yeah, I just did something fairly similar and every day I'm working I'm just like gently caress, this feels so much better and it's so weird

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quitting jobs owns.

I didn’t get the tantrum I expected but my boss is very upset and surprised that I’m leaving. The tantrum is probably coming tomorrow since he won’t have told any of upper management that I’m getting the gently caress out until after I left, so I still have that to look forward to while I mentally prepare myself for the possibility I have to just spend the next week spinning around in my chair and doing absolutely none of the micromanagement bullshit they were making me do.

Gonna leave such a bad glassdoor!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel like every couple of weeks I learn a new corporate slang term. A couple of weeks ago, it was "popcorn". More recently, it was "dog food". I wonder what will come next. :geno:

Well, share with the class! What do they mean?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scientastic posted:

I’m assuming Dog Food as in ‘eat your own dog food’ which means you use your own products internally. The idea is that you get to see your products the way your customers do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I’m assuming Dog Food as in ‘eat your own dog food’ which means you use your own products internally. The idea is that you get to see your products the way your customers do.

Which is a fantastically dumb idea when you are a communications company and choose to dogfood your communications products for engineering. Because when you have an outage and everyone needs to be able to communicate to fix it you're screwed.

I work at a place that is doing this right now.

Sure, there are alternatives but the default is our very not as good as zoom product.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Scientastic posted:

I work in an Amazon warehouse but at least here "popcorn"/"popcorning" is when containers get stuck/jammed together on the conveyor belt until items inside those containers starts flying everywhere like popcorn.

Which is probably absolutely not what it means in a "business" setting.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't make me look up popcorning on Urban Dictionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Thank you for defining "dog food" for me. :eng101:

TotalLossBrain posted:

Don't make me look up popcorning on Urban Dictionary

"Popcorning" seems to be synonymous with "passing the mic", just making sure that someone talks after you in a meeting.