Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

I agree these are pretty basic concepts, which is also why people dismissing them is so shocking.

Is a white horse a horse?

They're just making fun of you for being presumably over the age of 17 and finding them mind blowing.

*2nd amendment poorly restating the problem of evil as if they came up with it* kneel before my insights christianailures!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
People mistaking their beliefs with self-evident truth and therefore not only not examining them but dismissing the act of examination is very bad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

People mistaking their beliefs with self-evident truth and therefore not only not examining them but dismissing the act of examination is very bad.

Yes, this is very well trod freshman year of college, late teens level philosophy stuff.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
and yet people are still doubling down

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Always double down.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't come to the unpopular opinions thread to have people question me. I come here to describe reality as it is out here in the Desert of the Real.

But if too many people agree with your post, you should get a sixer for posting off topic.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't come to the unpopular opinions thread to have people question me. I come here to describe reality as it is out here in the Desert of the Real.

But if too many people agree with your post, you should get a sixer for posting off topic.

I dunno sometimes it’s nice to fight about something deeply inane, like ghosts and the color green

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

2nd Amendment posted:

Thank you for this awakening. I'm now going to go make a DMT tea from my Moonflower plant and contemplate the unknowable nature of "green".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Credit where it's due: Dr. Phil is a piece of poo poo, but at least he has the good sense not to embarrass himself bumbling through a senate run, unlike his colleague Oz.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Credit where it's due: Dr. Phil is a piece of poo poo, but at least he has the good sense not to embarrass himself bumbling through a senate run, unlike his colleague Oz.

so far

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011
when posting it is unnecessary to use punctuation beyond making yourself legible. Therefore writing "it's" when you mean "its" is one of the worst things you can do online. pointless pedantry and not even correct

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Atticus_1354 posted:

Thank you for this awakening. I'm now going to go make a DMT tea from my Moonflower plant and contemplate the unknowable nature of "green".

That would resolve the current dilemma of ghosts vs green. Or you could say green is a quale. Not that qualia theory doesn't have its own issues but it's a heck of a lot better than a consensus-based reality where you'd have to accept the existence of ghosts before you accept the existence of green.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Asylum has done far more damage to American cinema than Disney

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've never seen a single one of their movies but I am happy they exist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aramek posted:

I've never seen a single one of their movies but I am happy they exist.

You shouldn’t be.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ragnar34 posted:

[meta]Like 70% of the things posted here are default euroman opinion and 20% are things like half the population believes. It's part of what makes the thread good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

The Asylum has done far more damage to American cinema than Disney

There have been very few opinions posted ITT that made me react as strongly instinctively as negatively as this one, i'm ready to throw hands. They have their share of misses but they are a national treasure.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
like seriously how can you see 6 headed shark attack and not realize this is peak cinema

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like having weight classes in boxing, there should be height divisions in basketball. Imagine how much more interesting watching a Manlet division game would be.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Gaius Marius posted:

Like having weight classes in boxing, there should be height divisions in basketball. Imagine how much more interesting watching a Manlet division game would be.

Welcome to 3 Point Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8PrE-zyZQ

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gaius Marius posted:

Imagine how much more interesting watching a Manlet division game would be.

This is a whole industry in Manila btw

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People who insist on turning items off in Smash Bros are actually bad at the game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

like seriously how can you see 6 headed shark attack and not realize this is peak cinema

Their intentionally bad joke movies are bad, but they aren't the bulk of their output. Most Asylum stuff is knockoff of popular movies with legally distinct titles, or movies that try to sell themselves based purely on the poster. And those are all terrible. All of them are 90% army men talking in a room.

But the fact that they're all bad isn't what's damaging to cinema about them. What's damaging is that super low budget movies made quick to fill slots has been a thing in cinema forever, but it used to produce good stuff. Roger Corman is the most influential person in the history of cinema, so many great actors and directors got their start working on movies called stuff like "The Horror of the Atomic Man!" The First movie Francis Ford Coppola directed was a Psycho knockoff shot in 9 days called Dementia 13 that he was able to make because another movie wrapped early and Corman was like, hey kid make a movie. Cannon Pictures, even loving Full Moon, they produced a ton of garbage but they also produced some good, interesting, or unique movies, and trained up a generation of filmmakers.

Now The Asylum fills that position in the industry, but their formula is so rigid they never produce anything interesting, and they aren't training up new filmmakers. They have shut down what was a major talent pipeline into the industry.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

People who insist on turning items off in Smash Bros are actually bad at the game.

Yes! The chaos is part of the point and being able to rapidly assess what you have and how to use it is the true hallmark of skill.

It's not street fighter and it's not intended to be, damnit!!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Their intentionally bad joke movies are bad, but they aren't the bulk of their output. Most Asylum stuff is knockoff of popular movies with legally distinct titles, or movies that try to sell themselves based purely on the poster. And those are all terrible. All of them are 90% army men talking in a room.

But the fact that they're all bad isn't what's damaging to cinema about them. What's damaging is that super low budget movies made quick to fill slots has been a thing in cinema forever, but it used to produce good stuff. Roger Corman is the most influential person in the history of cinema, so many great actors and directors got their start working on movies called stuff like "The Horror of the Atomic Man!" The First movie Francis Ford Coppola directed was a Psycho knockoff shot in 9 days called Dementia 13 that he was able to make because another movie wrapped early and Corman was like, hey kid make a movie. Cannon Pictures, even loving Full Moon, they produced a ton of garbage but they also produced some good, interesting, or unique movies, and trained up a generation of filmmakers.

Now The Asylum fills that position in the industry, but their formula is so rigid they never produce anything interesting, and they aren't training up new filmmakers. They have shut down what was a major talent pipeline into the industry.

boomers getting handed opportunities and then not handing the next generations opportunities in turn you say?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

You couldn't think of a better example of survivorship bias if you tried

Like that is the platonic ideal of the concept

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I like Troma Films. Lloyd owns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Manager Hoyden posted:

You couldn't think of a better example of survivorship bias if you tried

Like that is the platonic ideal of the concept

The difference is that Croman and Troma and Cannon produced survivors. They made some movies that are still good today. The Asylum hasn't. Even their joke movies like 6 headed sharkpocalypse or whatever, at best they get a chuckle and are viewed once.

That's literally my entire point, all these companies produced huge quantities of garbage movies, but the old ones produced some ok or even actually good movies, and trained a lot of people who went on to work on good stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Naturally-occurring bad movies are much more fun than movies that are intentionally bad, and deliberately aping the style of the real thing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hawowanlawow posted:

boomers getting handed opportunities and then not handing the next generations opportunities in turn you say?

All pulling up Jacob’s Ladder behind them

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

I think that pipedown was shut down anyway. But other ones are open. The barrier to entry to theaters is lower than ever and well at least prior to covid. There's always a chance that if a film manages to get in front of the right eyes that it has a chance to get national indie theater distribution even if it's a director's first film and made for a few thousand dollars, which wasn't the case all that long ago. And if you can get a film distributed like that and it does moderately okay there's a solid chance you can get a shot at getting your film developed at an indie studio with a bigger budget and from there the faux indies and then regular films. Not to mention we're seeing people go from indie film ---> multi million dollar budget Netflix film fairly often.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

baby boomers are just people. it's not like they're a cabal of sorcerors that planned everything out and theyre no better or worse than anyone else

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Blaming and hating on the previous generation is a time honored tradition and I look forward to 20 years from now some Gen Z 30 year old complaining that us Gen Xers are holding all the wealth and keeping them from being able to own a home.

Honestly, I think that's when I'll feel like I finally "made it".

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

Robobot posted:

Blaming and hating on the previous generation is a time honored tradition and I look forward to 20 years from now some Gen Z 30 year old complaining that us Gen Xers are holding all the wealth and keeping them from being able to own a home.

Honestly, I think that's when I'll feel like I finally "made it".

Gen X-er's will be overlooked as usual, it's those Millennials who will be held to blame. It's also Likely it'll be the Gen Alpha young adults who throw the blame. Gotta stick with the pattern afterall.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Either the boomers will still be holding all the wealth in 20 years or the concept of wealth will be meaningless in the Wastelands.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It'll probably be the latter given our current trajectory, but I can see Alphas and/or Zoomers heaping a lot of blame on us Millennials for not doing enough to demand change. I'm guessing they'll say (as many already are) that we were too obsessed with '90s nostalgia or the War on Terror. And in fairness to those kids, a lot of their criticisms probably won't be too far off.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

baby boomers are just people. it's not like they're a cabal of sorcerors that planned everything out and theyre no better or worse than anyone else

well except in the case that I quoted in which that is exactly what happened

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I'm an 83 model and my life owns.

Course I saw an article that called me a "geriatric millennial" so lol.

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

hawowanlawow posted:

well except in the case that I quoted in which that is exactly what happened

Latt is gen x (1966), Rimawi looks young enough to be gen x but is a late boomer (1963). Strain is late boomer (1960).

What I find amusing is how the world memoryholed the problems the late boomers faced in the early and mid 80's and has collectively settled on the prosperous and greedy image.
And that'll repeat for the coming generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm an 80 model, so got a few more miles on me. I'm in general pretty happy with my life. I got a condo and I'm saving for a new house, got a car I own, got a girlfriend I love, got a family I love, no major health issues, and there's a bar and a grocery store within walking distance of my place so I always have food and alcohol close at hand.

My life is pretty damned good all things considered.