Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

The good ones these days tend to focus on something more specific than overall agile development. Because it's been exhausted and co-opted to death on the negative side and more positivity; there's just a greater body of knowledge and perspective.

So what aspect do you want to focus on?

Good question. I get the basics on Kanban, small batches/commits in terms of physical inputs/outputs thanks to some Lean experience. I'd like more info on the people aspects of self-governing teams, self-assigning work and how individual team members fit themselves into the larger process. FWIW I have tracked down a practice guide which is pretty good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ban scrum more like

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Good question. I get the basics on Kanban, small batches/commits in terms of physical inputs/outputs thanks to some Lean experience. I'd like more info on the people aspects of self-governing teams, self-assigning work and how individual team members fit themselves into the larger process. FWIW I have tracked down a practice guide which is pretty good so far.

Link the guide? I'm curious to see.

Generally content around empowered teams has what you're looking for. SVP and Marty cagan have a lot of content but there's others. Maybe also things like "continue discovery" or similar which is focused on having teams directly and frequently engage with customers and their needs.

All of this is of course antithetical to how most large businesses want to operate their tech teams. So you know prepare to be disappointed.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Link the guide? I'm curious to see.

Generally content around empowered teams has what you're looking for. SVP and Marty cagan have a lot of content but there's others. Maybe also things like "continue discovery" or similar which is focused on having teams directly and frequently engage with customers and their needs.

All of this is of course antithetical to how most large businesses want to operate their tech teams. So you know prepare to be disappointed.

Fortunately, I'm in the rare business that runs their software team as such. The one caveat being that I haven't been here long enough to see the underbelly.

If you searched up a pdf of the latest Agile Practice Guide, I imagine you could find it pretty easily.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Fortunately, I'm in the rare business that runs their software team as such. The one caveat being that I haven't been here long enough to see the underbelly.

If you searched up a pdf of the latest Agile Practice Guide, I imagine you could find it pretty easily.

This? From PMI?

https://www.pmi.org/pmbok-guide-standards/practice-guides/agile

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

That's the one.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is there anything more fun than asking a team to do something that only they have the power to do, listening to them ask you to make a ticket, watching that ticket go 1 month out of 2-week SLA despite reminding them weekly about it, only for them to say it's out of their scope, re-assign it to yet another team, listen to them say we must now wait for their SLA, and then assign it to a person on their team who's on vacation this week¿ Also the other team's SLA is 3 weeks.

Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by scam artists.

Update: Eng Director escalated not just to their VP but to the SVP above them and also an adjacent VP... and 10 minutes later not only does the original team start responding to us, but they: conveniently forgot that punted the ticket after 3 weeks of silence, suddenly want to own the task, and immediately schedule a meeting to discuss it with us!

Clearly I have a lot to learn about navigating bureaucracies.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

Update: Eng Director escalated not just to their VP but to the SVP above them and also an adjacent VP... and 10 minutes later not only does the original team start responding to us, but they: conveniently forgot that punted the ticket after 3 weeks of silence, suddenly want to own the task, and immediately schedule a meeting to discuss it with us!

Clearly I have a lot to learn about navigating bureaucracies.

Always punt to your boss when bureaucracy gets in the way. Make it their problem, not yours.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Director announced that due to nobody wanting to be on the CS escalation team because of its on-call rotation, all of engineering is going on-call

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ploots posted:

Director announced that due to nobody wanting to be on the CS escalation team because of its on-call rotation, all of engineering is going on-call

I'm assuming the director is not included in this, however.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ploots posted:

Leaving sounds like a great decision

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

ploots posted:

I would bet *so much money* that the reason no one wanted to be on the escalation team was because it didn't pay a goddamn thing to be on-call.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ploots posted:

Time to :yotj:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ploots posted:

turn off your work phone when on the rotation. When asked about it say it ran out of power after leaving the office

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

ploots posted:

Monkey's paw this. Everyone stops writing code and going to scrum meetings and just "works on escalations."

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Anyone have a good template for doing a "post-mortem" on a issue/ticket?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Monkey's paw this. Everyone stops writing code and going to scrum meetings and just "works on escalations."

This is the way.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

brand engager posted:

Make a Confluence article timeline of everything that happened, and then highlight stuff to add your commentary on things.

Do a 1 hr meeting where everybody reads the article together for the first 10-20 minutes, adding their own comments on stuff as they go, and keep notes on the stuff everyone agrees about. After the meeting, copy-paste those notes at the top of the article in a new section and call it "Takeaways" or "Outcomes" or "Learnings" or something like that.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

brand engager posted:

My company does a process that is fairly similar to this, it might give you some ideas https://response.pagerduty.com/after/post_mortem_template/

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Make a Confluence article timeline of everything that happened, and then highlight stuff to add your commentary on things.

Do a 1 hr meeting where everybody reads the article together for the first 10-20 minutes, adding their own comments on stuff as they go, and keep notes on the stuff everyone agrees about. After the meeting, copy-paste those notes at the top of the article in a new section and call it "Takeaways" or "Outcomes" or "Learnings" or something like that.

trem_two posted:

My company does a process that is fairly similar to this, it might give you some ideas https://response.pagerduty.com/after/post_mortem_template/

thanks

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Back to work after 6 months of parental leave and hoooooooooooooooooooooo boy are things Not In Great Order

in no particular order:
- the project I was working on basically hasn't been generating new user stories since I and a previous manager made a shitton of them like 8 months ago.
- our team is on notice because some miscommunications led to some missed client expectations and the finger is pointed firmly in our direction
- major senior advocates for our project have voluntarily left due to differences in opinion regarding how things should be run over the last couple months
- I've been told by multiple people now how much they were looking forward to me coming back to answer outstanding questions
- my role was not backfilled while I was gone

on the plus side, my Work Nemesis was shown the door, so that's a big win for me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Demand more money to save their asses or walk.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pollyanna posted:

I doubt ChickenWings bosses recognize there is an issue

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Rare situation where things really did fall apart without you.

As above said though: too bad that mgmt that let's that happen is also mgmt who wouldn't understand they should retain you.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
After an absence of 6 months, it's probably your fault (somehow)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Turambar posted:

After an absence of 6 months, it's probably your fault (somehow)

Well duh, they weren't there to prevent the problem in the first place. :downs:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah we're gonna see how things are looking in the next few weeks but I'm thinking that if this is a situation where I return and am somehow single-handedly righting the course, there's gonna be a pretty imminent conversation about the value of keeping me around, especially considering there's a number of places opening up shop in Toronto that are offering US-scale salaries.

I don't have a ton of faith in my company's desire to pay me more (managers, yes. company's desire to pay market salaries, not so much), so we'll have to see.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

loving hell why is teams so awful

e: "pay me more to retain me or I'm going to leave on the basis of having to use Teams alone"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Could be worse, you could have Teams, Slack *and* Skype.

And no, I don't mean Skype for Business.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I currently have to use teams and slack. 80% teams and 20% slack. It's a baffling setup, because people will randomly choose to use one or the other with no discernable pattern.

I loathe teams.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Teams is the worst chat app I've ever used, and I've used some stinkers. Sometimes it will simply stop receiving messages with no indication. How would I ever know if they fixed that issue?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh yeah how could I bitch about our Teams and not also complain about how they force us to log in on a biweekly basis for "security" except the login prompt doesn't work right half the time for whatever reason.

Guess it's pretty secure if nobody can login every two weeks??

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Teams only likes left channel mic inputs. I had to install VoiceMeeter to make Teams happy when my interface’s left input went out and no one could hear me while plugged into the right. I should probably just get a usb mic for work, but it’s a silly quirk.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, there are zero good chat / voice apps. Each one seems to have it's quirks and stupids. Slack is probably the closest but a web guy ended up as the designer, so it's UX is hosed for anything that isn't trivial and it's slow as gently caress - not being able to split out channels into their own windows is a huge throw. Teams is a never-ending pile of work arounds and compromises it seems. I haven't used it through for 3~ years. Discord has the same UX issue as Slack and just doesn't scale to 'I need to have context of several conversations at once'. Skype is the worst.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The worst part of Teams is the file navigation. It looks like Windows Explorer but some of the controls don't do what you'd think. In particular, trying to predict where the back button will take you is a hard problem.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

I currently have to use teams and slack. 80% teams and 20% slack. It's a baffling setup, because people will randomly choose to use one or the other with no discernable pattern.

I loathe teams.

When I started here, all the business people were on Skype and all the tech people were on HipChat (RIP). Somehow they got everyone to switch to Slack.

(HipChat had a 5K user limit, which was just an amusing way to torpedo your product for big enterprise.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

smackfu posted:

When I started here, all the business people were on Skype and all the tech people were on HipChat (RIP). Somehow they got everyone to switch to Slack.

(HipChat had a 5K user limit, which was just an amusing way to torpedo your product for big enterprise.)

TIL: Hipchat was shutdown just after we migrated off of it.

At the time we had like a 2k user hipchat instance and it was fine, we switched to Slack and it was slightly faster, but it meant we had to update all our webhook code.

Now it's so much easier, we're on Teams, and we don't have webhooks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I oddly enough have a good time with the Teams web client in a browser on my otherwise completely unsupported Linux rig for work. It does better than the Windows client on my issued laptop. The dedicated Linux client comes in last and is very out of date.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I loathe teams.

Yeah we have the same setup, mainly because our IRC-a-like is slack (so for quick calls to one or two people it's easiest just to use that) but apparently it really doesn't scale so for like company wide meetings and stuff, that's teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
As long as we are forced to use Teams I don't see that it's worth it to introduce Slack. Teams is nothing like IRC, and really clunky, but one can just about make it work.