Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

If Subnautica is the best survival game I've ever played (25 hours in atm and loving it) , and Vintage Story and Rust not so much, and if I also like The Long Dark's single player, what are the other survival games I should play?

The Forest?

It looks like I want an atmospheric, good looking game, with some horror elements, and some sort of overall end state or win condition?

For a similiar vibe, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are excellent open world games that satisfy all those requirements. Graphics are a little dated, but there are some basic mods that improve that quite a bit.

There are also mods that add classic survival mechanics but I'd exercise caution with those. A lot of the community content is catered towards hardcore difficulty and most of the games you've mentioned are relatively forgiving when it comes to survival mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, love the Stalker series and I've at least tried the Misery mod.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm looking for a 4 player coop game where you can spec to distinct roles and classes. In particular, I like playing healer/protection. FPS or 3rd person would probably be best. We're playing back 4 blood right now and enjoying it a lot, but always looking for the next game...

Chamale posted:

Are there any games like FTL, but on a ship at sea? I want to order my crew around while pumping water out of the flooding lower levels.

Also interested in any first-person games where I play as a crewmember of a ship or spaceship during a battle, trying to survive.

I can't help myself, I must recommend return of the obra dinn even though it's not quite what you're looking for

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm looking for a 4 player coop game where you can spec to distinct roles and classes. In particular, I like playing healer/protection. FPS or 3rd person would probably be best. We're playing back 4 blood right now and enjoying it a lot, but always looking for the next game...

there isn't really a healer or protection class but Deep Rock Galactic

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was gonna suggest Deep Rock Galactic as well, yeah. I'd say that Gunner is the closest to a protector class, what with the shield secondary ability (pops up a bubble that enemies can't shoot through or go into). Gunners are what you base your defense around, because they can pretty much just stand there and take on all comers. No specific class specializes in healing. Instead you can take perks like Medic and Shield Link.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

there isn't really a healer or protection class but Deep Rock Galactic

Seconded.

The 4 classes are:
  • Shooty
  • Burny
  • Zippy
  • Engi

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the base game for DRG can be had for a song when it’s on sale so it’s not going to break the bank for the 3 other people.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
How much speccing can you do in that game? Are you restricted to a few roles, or do you have freedom to experiment a bit? Like do you have skill points and a tech tree?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How much speccing can you do in that game? Are you restricted to a few roles, or do you have freedom to experiment a bit? Like do you have skill points and a tech tree?

Oh yeah, "builds" are a thing. Lots of different weapons to unlock, perks, upgrades, over-clocks, cosmetics, etc.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Alright you sold me, I'll register it as next game to lobby for! Thanks guys!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Generally everyone's role is "mine the minerals, kill the bugs" but there's lots of variety in terms of close vs. long range, clearing hordes vs. focusing down larger bugs, elemental interactions, not to mention how each dwarf's non-weapon tools help the team in unique ways.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As an example, the gunner's primary weapons are:

- minigun: bullet hose, high DPS but inaccurate until it's been firing for a bit
- autocannon: a bit less hose-y and a bit more inaccurate, but deals splash damage
- fly-by-wire missile launcher: perfect accuracy (so long as you keep your reticle over the target), bit of splash, but lower overall DPS

And then each of those weapons has different sidegrades, so like you can opt for a bit more accuracy or a bit more damage, you can get larger magazines or more overall ammo, etc. And then they have fancier upgrades at the end of the tree. One of those last upgrades for the minigun makes it set enemies on fire if you fire it when it's close to overheating. Another makes it create a large fire explosion when you cap out the heat gauge.

And that's just their primary weapon; there's also the secondary weapon, mobility tool, support tool, and grenade. And the perks.

EDIT: vvv yeah, that's true. I have 66 hours logged, and have maxed out two classes in that time. Granted that a fair number of those hours weren't spent pursuing my own assignments, but someone else's because we were doing MP.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 29, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The grind is real long. It's not necessarily a bad thing as it's largely an excuse to just play the game but it'll be a while before you're doing anything too fancy build wise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I extremely disliked Deep Rock Galactic, but I'm obviously in the minority there. A similar game that I liked much better is Vermintide. Both Vermintide 1 & 2 are on sale right now - you can start with either but 2 is prettier so it's difficult to go back and play 1 after it. Unfortunately, there's not really a healer class in Vermintide, but some of the class options can be built as tanks.

A 4 player game that does include a healing spec is Gloomhaven. Gloomhaven offers a wide range of classes to pick from, including healer, and is one of the best games of the past decade. It is a tactical RPG set in a unique fantasy universe; The gameplay rewards strategic planning, problem solving, and co-operation. Each turn you select two cards for from your character's hand of ~10cards chosen from a much larger deck. When you play a pair of cards, you pick the top half of one and the bottom half of another, which creates some really interesting and engaging decision making.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

The grind is real long. It's not necessarily a bad thing as it's largely an excuse to just play the game but it'll be a while before you're doing anything too fancy build wise.

Ah, that's good to know...looks like there's a double xp event coming up, but a heavy grind inst super appealing...

LLSix posted:

I extremely disliked Deep Rock Galactic, but I'm obviously in the minority there. A similar game that I liked much better is Vermintide. Both Vermintide 1 & 2 are on sale right now - you can start with either but 2 is prettier so it's difficult to go back and play 1 after it. Unfortunately, there's not really a healer class in Vermintide, but some of the class options can be built as tanks.

A 4 player game that does include a healing spec is Gloomhaven. Gloomhaven offers a wide range of classes to pick from, including healer, and is one of the best games of the past decade. It is a tactical RPG set in a unique fantasy universe; The gameplay rewards strategic planning, problem solving, and co-operation. Each turn you select two cards for from your character's hand of ~10cards chosen from a much larger deck. When you play a pair of cards, you pick the top half of one and the bottom half of another, which creates some really interesting and engaging decision making.

Ok now we're talking! This sounds rad as hell abd I've been meaning to try gloomhaven out. Also, in case there are people here that don't read the video game deals thread...its free on epic game store till tomorrow
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/gloomhaven-92f741

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Murdoch posted:

This isn't merely "games where you can do a cool move and the bad guy's head pops off" or "this ability lets you blow up an entire city block like an angry god" it's more all-encompassing than that. It's a fire elemental class who can use fire spells, the fire spells sound interesting and full of potential just from the names and descriptions on a menu or an icon on a skill tree, either/both/all dripping with flavor, using them feels good and looks cool, and then it turns out each one feeds into the next somehow. (And gently caress it, I dunno, Dan Forden pops in from the side of the screen and goes "Toasty!" when you get a multi-kill.) Just huge amounts of synergy in every possible sense that fully sells the idea.
Hi I'm a bit late but Across the Obelisk lets you go hard on mix and matching classes and interclass synergy, including specifically just absolutely making GBS threads fire everywhere.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Deep Rock Galactic is a million times more fun when playing with friends rather than randos because the abilities of the different classes synergize really well with each other. So despite there being no dedicated "healer" you can do all sorts of stuff to help team-mates out. But if you want a dedicated healer role or are playing with pubbies, then Gloomhaven is probably a better fit.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ah, that's good to know...looks like there's a double xp event coming up, but a heavy grind inst super appealing...

Your saves are stored locally and a save editor is just a google search away, so when you have a good grip on the game you can skip any part of the grind if you really want to.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Our usual gameplay loop is to play a shitload of Sea of Thieves or some other buildy or shooty game (7D2D, Conan, Borderlands, whatever) for hours, and then sometimes we wrap up our mission at the end of a round and it's too late to start a new one, so we'd hop over to Overwatch for a couple matches to wrap up the night. Now Overwatch 1 has been deleted and Overwatch 2 is a microtransaction bullshit hell, and none of us want to support Activision, so we're looking for something new.

We're typically 3-4 players, want to play as a squad with more than just shooting as a metric (the way Overwatch had classes with distinct roles beyond "shoot them in the head" really worked for us), and we know DRG and Apex exist. What else is there for quick "play a couple rounds and gtfo" games that might work while slightly drunk? We'd prefer if there's some sort of progression to it, even if it's just cosmetic.

Not interested in F2P microtransaction stuff. Paladins was like dollar-store Overwatch but there was no point in playing it unless you forked money over. I think Warframe had a similar reaction even though I personally kinda liked it. All the Call of Duty/Battlefield stuff is too "shoot them in the head" without distinct roles. Suggesting PubG or Fortnite would probably break up our gaming group lmao.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tagra posted:

Our usual gameplay loop is to play a shitload of Sea of Thieves or some other buildy or shooty game (7D2D, Conan, Borderlands, whatever) for hours, and then sometimes we wrap up our mission at the end of a round and it's too late to start a new one, so we'd hop over to Overwatch for a couple matches to wrap up the night. Now Overwatch 1 has been deleted and Overwatch 2 is a microtransaction bullshit hell, and none of us want to support Activision, so we're looking for something new.

We're typically 3-4 players, want to play as a squad with more than just shooting as a metric (the way Overwatch had classes with distinct roles beyond "shoot them in the head" really worked for us), and we know DRG and Apex exist. What else is there for quick "play a couple rounds and gtfo" games that might work while slightly drunk? We'd prefer if there's some sort of progression to it, even if it's just cosmetic.

Not interested in F2P microtransaction stuff. Paladins was like dollar-store Overwatch but there was no point in playing it unless you forked money over. I think Warframe had a similar reaction even though I personally kinda liked it. All the Call of Duty/Battlefield stuff is too "shoot them in the head" without distinct roles. Suggesting PubG or Fortnite would probably break up our gaming group lmao.

Earth Defense Force

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Tagra posted:

DRG can take a long time per match if you're playing with a crew that insist on being completionists and doing every single minor extra objective instead of doing the main objective and punching out. That's about the only thing I have against it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

Earth Defense Force

With the caveat that the only true "support" class is the Air Raider, whose primary form of support is making the entire map explode, though they can also deploy shields and vehicles for the rest of the team.

The other 3 classes are "run at insects and shoot them," "fly over insects and shoot them," and "boost into insects and shoot/bludgeon/perforate them."

It's a terrific game, but you don't really need to coordinate your abilities like you would in Overwatch or a Moba. If you get one, grab EDF 5.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tagra posted:

Awesomenauts.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tagra posted:

Rocket League

And since you mentioned Paladins, I'll throw out Smite as a suggestion. Not the main MOBA mode, but the aram mode, Assault. Matches last 10-20 minutes, you're assigned a random god (from the pool you've unlocked, or you can buy the whole ~120 of them for $30), group coordination helps but there's no grand strategy or even a meta as such. It's one of the best "boot it up and bang out a couple drunken rounds" games out there in my experience

These two games share the battle pass model to unlock cosmetics (for free, with a paid second track). It's not really progression but it does give you things to shoot for over time, if mostly minor stuff

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Rocket League

And since you mentioned Paladins, I'll throw out Smite as a suggestion. Not the main MOBA mode, but the aram mode, Assault. Matches last 10-20 minutes, you're assigned a random god (from the pool you've unlocked, or you can buy the whole ~120 of them for $30), group coordination helps but there's no grand strategy or even a meta as such. It's one of the best "boot it up and bang out a couple drunken rounds" games out there in my experience

These two games share the battle pass model to unlock cosmetics (for free, with a paid second track). It's not really progression but it does give you things to shoot for over time, if mostly minor stuff

Holy gently caress they have 120 gods now?!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Holy gently caress they have 120 gods now?!

they never stopped!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I was just randomly reminded of the multiplayer mode in Future Cop LAPD, and wondered if anyone has made something similar to that. For those not familiar, it was a 1v1 tower defense kind of thing. In your base there were buttons to manufacture tanks and helicopters; your goal was to get a tank into the enemy base, and helicopters and your base's turrets would attempt to kill the enemy tanks, and their mech. Meanwhile you're running around earning money, finding powerups, and of course fighting the enemy mech and turrets.

I remember seeing a tower defense game where you had a hero to run around and directly fight the enemies, but I don't remember seeing a symmetric game where you're both attacking and defending at the same time.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Sounds kind of like Lock's Quest, a single player tower defense type game where you have a prep phase, setting up towers and walls and stuff, then a fight phase where you sprint around engaging in hand to hand combat with the enemy, then rushing back to fix your poo poo. It was a good game on DS...came out on some other platforms too, but I recall the stylus control was pretty good

edit: huh, internet says there was a multiplayer vs component. I had no idea!

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 4, 2022

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was just randomly reminded of the multiplayer mode in Future Cop LAPD, and wondered if anyone has made something similar to that. For those not familiar, it was a 1v1 tower defense kind of thing. In your base there were buttons to manufacture tanks and helicopters; your goal was to get a tank into the enemy base, and helicopters and your base's turrets would attempt to kill the enemy tanks, and their mech. Meanwhile you're running around earning money, finding powerups, and of course fighting the enemy mech and turrets.

I remember seeing a tower defense game where you had a hero to run around and directly fight the enemies, but I don't remember seeing a symmetric game where you're both attacking and defending at the same time.

There were a bunch of Warcraft 3 maps like this, you get money from killing dudes, but you get permanent income from sending dudes to die. Line Tower Wars and WinterMaul Wars are the two I remember.

E: unless the hero unit is important, then there's definitely An Map somewhere in WC3 that does it, but not those 2.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 4, 2022

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I truly love the older X-Com games, they are among my favorites. UFO Unknown and Terror from the Deep especially, even if they are clunky and rough around the edges. The new X-Com games are great too but they have one feature that I really, really did not like.

Aliens getting a "free turn" when they first spot you and getting a free chance to move.

I am also not a big fan of how you get a "move" phase and an "action" phase instead of movement points. Less of a problem than the other issue above, though it bothered me also.

Which is to say that Xenonauts which is basically X-Com, but given better graphics and a UI is also one of my favorites. I am not aware of any similar games which really get the X-Com formula right but have not ruled out the possibility that they might exist! Can anyone recommend one?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have you played the old Jagged Alliance? Make sure it's the original and not one of the many compromised reboots.

Edit: I think I meant Jagged Alliance 2.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 5, 2022

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

There are "older" games like it, and I have played Jagged Alliance but I was hoping for something more recent. Also scifi is a plus but not required. Fantasy is fine too, but i'm less interested in a real-world-esque style game, though might be if it has the other neat X-Com formula.

There are lots of "modern" or "historical" military turn based games where you control a small to medium sized squad and fight secret agents or nazis. I am less interested in those.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You've Almost certainly heard of battle brothers, then.

I'll point out someone is once again remaking Jagged Alliance and they swear it'll be good this time :v:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

You've Almost certainly heard of battle brothers, then.

I'll point out someone is once again remaking Jagged Alliance and they swear it'll be good this time :v:
Battle Brothers is a good one, played it to death. It was a great game, but I am looking for any other ideas you or someone else may have.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
You probably know Battletech as well.

If you're willing to emulate, the Front Mission series?

The Iron Oath looks like a variation on Battle Brothers

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

You probably know Battletech as well.

If you're willing to emulate, the Front Mission series?

The Iron Oath looks like a variation on Battle Brothers
Iron Oath looks interesting but early access. Front Mission is a modern day/historical military sim which is not really the same vibe. Battletech, while fun, is also kind of a different sort of genre, if a similar one?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 5, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diogines posted:

I am not aware of any similar games which really get the X-Com formula right but have not ruled out the possibility that they might exist! Can anyone recommend one?

There's a Ghostbusters X-Com called GhostControl Inc. but I've never played it and have no clue if it's any good.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
It's perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but TROUBLESHOOTER is such an extremely good X-Com like that you should check it out anyway.

I also think Urtuk is pretty cool.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Diogines posted:

Which is to say that Xenonauts which is basically X-Com, but given better graphics and a UI is also one of my favorites. I am not aware of any similar games which really get the X-Com formula right but have not ruled out the possibility that they might exist! Can anyone recommend one?

Have you tried getting into mods for the original XCom? You've got polishes like FinalModPack all the way to full overhauls like the WH30k mod. Personal favourite is XCom Files which is still being actively worked on.

The graphics overhauls help make it cleaner but it's still very 90s, while the QoL additions added by OXC over the years has made it very streamlined and polished and much more intuitive than the base games alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Walh Hara posted:

It's perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but TROUBLESHOOTER is such an extremely good X-Com like that you should check it out anyway.

Troubleshooter is a cool game, but it has nothing in common with X-Com other than it's turn based on a square grid