Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

njsykora posted:

Steve has gotten this weird thing recently of pronouncing things wrong to provoke comments and I don't like it.
You should watch Blender Guru talking about NVidia stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Combat Pretzel posted:

You should watch Blender Guru talking about NVidia stuff.

I don't want to watch the Donut NFT guy talk about anything.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Deuce posted:

"Fight me, it's [pronounced] 'jif.' " - Steve.

Steve no.

But the people who invented the file format say it's jif, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtKxsuGvko

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Deuce posted:

Steve no.

edit:
It's old now but Steve is also just done with GPU marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGARjRBJRX8

Soo Prim

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

njsykora posted:

Nuhvidea.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Deuce posted:

Steve no.

edit:
It's old now but Steve is also just done with GPU marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGARjRBJRX8

this is the most tedious argument in all of history. im so tiiired of it. blargh.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

But the people who invented the file format say it's jif, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtKxsuGvko
How perscriptivist linguist of you, and anyone else making this argument.

English linguistics, and linguistics of most other languages except French, is descriptivist - so gif is fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

being pedantic about "GIF" is especially funny now that its become a genericized word for short videos without audio

most "GIFs" nowadays are h264

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, while I don't have a reason to doubt that Steve Wilhite is responsible for the invention, neither his name nor a pronounciation guide is included in the official spec from '87.

Interestingly, the very first line of the spec seems to indicate that it's supposed to be an initialism, not an acronym - which in turn means it gets the pronounciation of the g sound.

EDIT: Also, the spec from '89, which added animation, doesn't include pronounciation or Steve's name either.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 5, 2022

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Also, English isn't a rigid thing, people pronounce things how they want, some of it catches on, some of it doesn't. Both are valid ways to say it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Jif is a peanut butter. Gif has always had a hard G.

I will wage holy war against those who disagree.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

K8.0 posted:

Jif is a peanut butter. Gif has always had a hard G.

I will wage holy war against those who disagree.

Yeah, then go after gin!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
"J"raphic Interchange Format.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jraphics cards.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, then go after gin!

guhin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GheePU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lady Radia posted:

this is the most tedious argument in all of history. im so tiiired of it. blargh.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jeh-Peh-Ewe

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, then go after gin!

my username is actually a hard G, too.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

How perscriptivist linguist of you, and anyone else making this argument.

English linguistics, and linguistics of most other languages except French, is descriptivist - so gif is fine.

I'm not sure why it hurts you so much to be wrong about how to say a word.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The G is silent.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like when people make videos to get people interested in a subject and teach it. I don't mind if they have to make it seem more interesting that it is. This is why I have a hard time with how goofy and off-putting I find the presentation of NetworkChuck's stuff. I want people to learn IT skills, but calling everything hacking and lots of thumbnails with the Guy Fawkes mask from V for Vendetta plus all the talking about coffee which he now sells is just a bridge too far for me. I think he can be in the tech idiots thread even if he may provide valuable resources to teenagers who may incidentally learn something useful in the guise of "hacking." Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OPVViV-GQk

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I like when people make videos to get people interested in a subject and teach it. I don't mind if they have to make it seem more interesting that it is. This is why I have a hard time with how goofy and off-putting I find the presentation of NetworkChuck's stuff. I want people to learn IT skills, but calling everything hacking and lots of thumbnails with the Guy Fawkes mask from V for Vendetta plus all the talking about coffee which he now sells is just a bridge too far for me. I think he can be in the tech idiots thread even if he may provide valuable resources to teenagers who may incidentally learn something useful in the guise of "hacking."

Yeeeeeeppppp.

His stuff years ago was good, he seemed a little more intense than a normal person but otherwise OK, and the coffee stuff he only mentioned in passing with dedicated coffee talk only vids

But he stepped up the intensity by about 1000x now.

The last thing I want trying to learn something legitimately useful for a cert or something is a guy acting like an over the top minecraft YouTuber my 7 year old watches, but about network subnetting.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rudager posted:

Yeeeeeeppppp.

His stuff years ago was good, he seemed a little more intense than a normal person but otherwise OK, and the coffee stuff he only mentioned in passing with dedicated coffee talk only vids

But he stepped up the intensity by about 1000x now.

The last thing I want trying to learn something legitimately useful for a cert or something is a guy acting like an over the top minecraft YouTuber my 7 year old watches, but about network subnetting.

Yeah, I watched one of his subnetting videos and it was all stuff I learned in a networking CS class in 2006 or something. It felt like he taught about 1/4 of a lecture in a 15 minute video but I guess that's how things are now. HACKING.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Oh joy, all these Intel ARC reviews on youtube are providing free entertainment via thumbnails

ARC A770 will get converted from leetspeak into AR CAZZO, which is italian slang for "This Dick"

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4lHgSMBf80

Pretty in-depth look into the 4090 FE cooler

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I like how much time is spent on the injections, but the mitigations just get a passing mention. The very least, some more detail into parameters would have been nice.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I like how much time is spent on the injections, but the mitigations just get a passing mention. The very least, some more detail into parameters would have been nice.

Excuse me but have you looked at the thumbnail? Do you see a mitigation???

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I feel like this type of video is aimed at someone like me who just plays around designing web stuff for fun, and for whom the answer to "how do I properly roll my own auth system" ought to be "don't."

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

sarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4lHgSMBf80

Pretty in-depth look into the 4090 FE cooler

I'm not complaining but LOL at GN frequently whining about how terrible it is to waste energy, but then doing a puff piece on how nvidia developed this expensive-rear end cooler for a massive power hog.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I still chuckle at them using the "thanks Steve" clip every time

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, then go after gin!

GIFT
GIF

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

njsykora posted:

Oh man is he a crypto bro or something now? I remember his donut tutorial for Blender 2 a few years ago being pretty decent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Retrograde posted:

Oh man is he a crypto bro or something now? I remember his donut tutorial for Blender 2 a few years ago being pretty decent.

His most recent version of the donut tutorial is basically a long ad for his donut NFT collection, and he did an entire video arguing in favour of NFTs. I also think the tutorial sucks rear end for actually learning Blender these days because he's terrible at explaining why functions work, you're just following instructions as he constantly brags about having SLI Titans and saying he doesn't understand why any of this works.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Koskun posted:

It isn't really a gaming or not issue, just them running at all they put out a lot of heat, and thus consume a lot of energy.

If you are simply looking for something to run what you listed, HP's EliteDesk, Z2, ProDesk, Lenovo's ThinkCenters. All of them make NUC sized-ish full systems. Generally they are a touch more, but there is an HP EliteDesk 800 on ebay right now for $70 with a 6th gen i5. Will easily do what you want, and use a fraction of the power.

Well, ended up picking up an E5-1603 V3 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD and 1TB HD for $179.99. Then bought an E5-2680 V3 for $22.00 and another 16GB of DDR 4 for $40.00.

So I'm out the cost of a comparable Ryzen 7 2700X for an entire built system short of 10 minutes to swap out the CPU and stick in 4 more DIMMS, unless I am missing something that seems like a more than solid deal for a dick around with home server.

edit: I may very well be an idiot, I don't game and my primary computer is a M1 Mini and a 2018 MacBook Air that I take to work with me to dick around on the internet not using my work computer. This all started wanting to play with Home Assistant and given current Raspberry Pi prices, just running it virtualized on this wasn't that much more expensive.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 7, 2022

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
So apparently Twitch streamer Asmongold and a bunch of others got together and started a PC building company with the former staff of Artisian Builds. Linus Tech Tips did a video review of one of their more expensive systems and then Asmongold did a live reaction to Linus's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrJKQ2HH28

(He plays Linus's video in its entirety, including the sponsor segments.) It has some pretty funny moments, including how mad he gets at Linus dunking on the company's logo (which, Linus's puerile humor aside, is terrible because I assumed it was supposed to be an Atari 2600-style joystick and not a hammer, which is what Asmongold insists it's supposed to be).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 7, 2022

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mr.Radar posted:

So apparently Twitch streamer Asmongold and a bunch of others got together and started a PC building company with the former staff of Artisian Builds. Linus Tech Tips did a video review of one of their more expensive systems and then Asmongold did a live reaction to Linus's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrJKQ2HH28

(He plays Linus's video in its entirety, including the sponsor segments.) It has some pretty funny moments, including how mad he gets at Linus dunking on the company's logo (which, Linus's puerile humor aside, is terrible because I assumed it was supposed to be an Atari 2600-style joystick and not a hammer, which is what Asmongold insists it's supposed to be).

I know it's supreme dork poo poo to build your own PC and a meme that you get roped into a lifetime of support, but I am so far beyond the point of no return when it comes to building a PC with a friend over a couple of beers purely to save them from the hellscape of lovely system integrators.

If you do it right in the first place you literally never get somebody pestering you for support.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Charles Leclerc posted:

I know it's supreme dork poo poo to build your own PC and a meme that you get roped into a lifetime of support, but I am so far beyond the point of no return when it comes to building a PC with a friend over a couple of beers purely to save them from the hellscape of lovely system integrators.

If you do it right in the first place you literally never get somebody pestering you for support.
If only sand was actually good at mathematics.

However, since the ODMs responsible for IBM-compatible clones skipped out on including ECC memory because they figured it wasn't important, despite the fact that it in the PC specification, it's entirely possible to build a system completely correctly and still have a lifetime of support because the gear misbehaves.

All to save a few cents on systems already designed down to a price, and we've paying off on that technical depth in the form of lost productivity and decades of dealing with Heisenbugs, and will seemingly continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Which seems to be whenever DDR5 is in every system, since DDR5 finally includes (per-chip) ECC - which is at least better than no ECC, lthough you don't get the benefit of knowing when an error correction happens and when an uncorrectable error happens via an NMI.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Charles Leclerc posted:

I know it's supreme dork poo poo to build your own PC
What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It is definitely supreme dork poo poo to build a PC.