Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tosk posted:

I'm only 3 episodes in but really enjoying this so far. I read ASoIaF but nothing else, and I watched the first five seasons of GoT before I bailed.

Maybe the spoiler free line should be removed from the title, I read through some of the thread's backlog and I think it's pointless to pretend there's a moratorium on spoilers. I don't mind them but others might, given the thread's title.

No, don't remove the spoiler free line from the title? There's a sister thread where people can go hog wild posting about the ~*book lore*~ all they want, leave us illiterate unwashed masses to our ignorance and shame :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

My bad, I thought it was regarding show spoilers which are obviously discussed pretty freely here, but that makes more sense

Relevantly then, I'm really enjoying this so far but a friend mentioned the quality takes a nosedive after episode 6, is that anyone else's experience?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It jumps into a different gear. I don't think it's a dive in quality at all, but it does take some adjusting to.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah no, if anything the last two episodes were arguably the best so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, show was okay if a little rocky at first but the last couple of episodes it has really found its groove and the latest episode in particular was great.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

We’re only on episode 7, so I don’t really think you can say it’s taken a nosedive since the previous episode. Also because it hasn’t and the last two episodes are actually great. What’s your friend’s issue with the latest episode (aside from not being able to see it)?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Presumably the pacing. He just mentioned that all of a sudden it had become severely boring.

A slow-burn fantasy series with a slightly more involved plot than RoP or later GoT sounds great to me though, but I'll report back in when I finish my binge :P

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Tosk posted:

My bad, I thought it was regarding show spoilers which are obviously discussed pretty freely here, but that makes more sense

Relevantly then, I'm really enjoying this so far but a friend mentioned the quality takes a nosedive after episode 6, is that anyone else's experience?

Probably means all the mutant little kids that showed up recently. Things will improve once the show starts thinning the herd.

mweber fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 5, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tosk posted:

I'm guessing this is because episode six is the first episode with the aged up actors and IMO that's only been an improvement.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No last 2 episodes are loving bonkers.

Pre time jump I would say the best episode is the Joffrey wedding one. So much tension.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tosk posted:

Not even remotely

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

IMO the series just keeps getting better with each episode. The crab war was the low point of the season.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

IMO the series just keeps getting better with each episode. The crab war was the low point of the season.

:yeah:

It's too bad they messed up some shots in the latest episode for some teevees :( I could at least see what was happening.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

TeaJay posted:

Yeah in retrospect the crab war felt the most like a latter season GoT subplot. Instead of Daemon on the beach, it would have been Jorah desperately proving he's still relevant.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Did they show who they actually killed instead of Laenor? Was it the guard that Daemon killed? Is he's actually a good man that didn't wanna kill a decent guy just to marry his niece?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I assumed there was an offscreen moment where he defeats him and says "come with me if you want to live" and they both turn and stare devilishly at the 3rd guy

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Robobot posted:

Did they show who they actually killed instead of Laenor? Was it the guard that Daemon killed? Is he's actually a good man that didn't wanna kill a decent guy just to marry his niece?

It's a good guess because just before the really dumbly ignited fight scene we get a snippet of Metal Gear Daemon just randomly offing some dude.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Crab War was worth it just for that one scene of Corlys with the warhams map and Daemon landing on Caraxes, reading the message from his bro, and beating the poo poo out of the royal messenger.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

TeaJay posted:

It's a good guess because just before the really dumbly ignited fight scene we get a snippet of Metal Gear Daemon just randomly offing some dude.

Honestly, I kind of find that worse than just killing Laenor. What a dick move. Maybe they'll kill both of them on the boat to tie up loose ends like Larys or Varys or probably any other -arys would do.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the issue with the Daemon war sequese is that it is too long and too..."anime like". They just need to cut down on the number of shots of Daemon going dynasty warriors on the fools and also add some budget on the dragon scenes. Dragon fighting in board daylight in cheesy cgi took me out of the show.

I mean they should just shoot a fight scene between Daemon and the crab king. I really like the character design of the crab king. Those are real hollywood magic, not some korean render farm slaves working crunch time on last minute changes.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 5, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the issue with the Daemon war sequese is that it is too long and too..."anime like". They just need to cut down on the number of shots of Daemon going dynasty warriors on the fools and also add some budget on the dragon scenes. Dragon fighting in board daylight in cheesy cgi took me out of the show.

I mean they should just shoot a fight scene between Daemon and the crab king. I really like the character design of the crab king. Those are real hollywood magic, not some korean render farm slaves working crunch time on last minute changes.

I don't think there would by any fight between them. The crab king obviously wasnt a fighter and was falling apart; the fight would be Daemon swinging once and killing him.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Baronash posted:

Those day-for-night shots were appalling, especially when they were juxtaposed with well-done scenes that used GOT/HOTD's normal nighttime aesthetic. The only explanation that makes any sense is that someone decided after the fact that all of those scenes ought to happen at night, and their best idea was to throw in a gray filter and a few cgi torches that don't illuminate anything around them.

Haha yeah it's really funny that the first half of the episode was filmed with day-for-night somehow worse than what they had in a bunch of 40-year-old no-budget mst3k movies. Really feels like someone should have looked at the end result and said "okay, this isn't working, take the filters off and we'll just admit that it's daytime." There are visible shadows that look like it's 3 PM, the sun is clearly shining on people's hair, clouds and colors and contrast are all wrong.

Fun episode though.

Electro-Boogie Jack fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 5, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Darko posted:

I don't think there would by any fight between them. The crab king obviously wasnt a fighter and was falling apart; the fight would be Daemon swinging once and killing him.

Ah, but you're forgetting about his crab powers.

The powers of strafing.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ah, but you're forgetting about his crab powers.

The powers of strafing.
He was also really good at opening coconuts.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

We also got a guy singing praises to the sky, "thank you my Lord for coming to save me" moments before the dragon just lands on him. Splat :banjo:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The crab battle wasn't important on its own, it was just used as a backdrop to help establish several things to the audience.

- Indecisive king
- Tension between the crown and house Valeryon
- Daemon being badass and showing his duty to the realm
- Stepstones being a major pain in the rear end

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I'll take crab people over generic peasant/mercenary uprise.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Chemtrailologist posted:

The crab battle wasn't important on its own, it was just used as a backdrop to help establish several things to the audience.

- Indecisive king
- Tension between the crown and house Valeryon
- Daemon being badass and showing his duty to the realm
- Stepstones being a major pain in the rear end

- Corlys laying about in +3 armor with a vorpal bardiche

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the issue with the Daemon war sequese is that it is too long and too..."anime like".

they shoulda had him in full armor with a lot of arrows hitting him but sparking off, that would be baller

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The world needs more anime battles.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I can agree with the idea of genres being separate and while I can imagine something that is “too anime”, whenever I encounter that sentiment in the wild it’s being used as some weird value judgement because something is cool and different and it’s coming from someone with a neckbeard you could lose a toddler in. Usually because someone did a cool thing with a sword which is apparently not allowed despite this being a story about cool dudes with swords.

What I’m saying is that there were several problems with the beach battle, but if your big problem is “master swordsman with a magic sword is good with sword, kills dudes” instead of like “they didn’t have good stakes and over-arching flow to the action”, I think you’re a weird grog with bad opinions about stories.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Aemond had fallen off of the dragon's back when he was just hanging on by his fingernails, no one would've ever had any idea what happened to him

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

zoux posted:

If Aemond had fallen off of the dragon's back when he was just hanging on by his fingernails, no one would've ever had any idea what happened to him

If Vhagar was really ride or die with Laena he would have barrel rolled

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spoil me book lords: all these dragons have dope names like Meraxes and Vhagar and Vermax and Syrax, and then you have Sea Smoke. Wtf is up with that

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Sea Smoke is a cool name for a dragon though? If Sea Smoke the Dragon was my friend we would have those old BFF necklaces that split in half from the 90s.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Spoil me book lords: all these dragons have dope names like Meraxes and Vhagar and Vermax and Syrax, and then you have Sea Smoke. Wtf is up with that

The ones with the tryhard names were named by Targs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

twee garbage, the lot of them. true loreheads only like sheepstealer

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Seasmoke > Sunfyre

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i say swears online posted:

twee garbage, the lot of them. true loreheads only like sheepstealer

Cannibal

:rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You steal one sheep…