Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Tunic is just swell and I hope the old-school NES manual translation thing doesn't get old because figuring stuff out in this game is extremely satisfying.

You playing the Switch version? It kinda seemed neat but afaik there’s no previews/reviews for that version specifically so idk if I wanna take the plunge before knowing it has parity with the other versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

If you kill the replacement tutorial guy a couple of times you get this:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Oh, Tunic; I wanted to love it but it really let me down towards the end.

Non-instruction manual / non-plot spoilers: the boss rush where they take away your upgrades and lock you in an area
I hate when they do each of those things separately, and they combined them. Absolute rage quit moment for me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

Orson Scott Card wasn't involved with Alter Echo, that was Advent Rising.

And I think he was hired to punch up the dialogue, but they pretty much made it sound like he contributed to the story.

The whole marketing for that game was pretty hilarious in hindsight:
- The website for the URL was adventtrilogy dot com. Very ambitious. They didn't even get the PSP spin-off (Advent Shadow) out of the door!
- They made sure that previews would mention that the game offered noteworthy choices: do you save your girlfriend or your brother? But that was the only choice and one that didn't really matter that long, because they both end up dying.
- A million dollar contest via Xbox Live!... that they cancelled before the halfway point because of technical issues. Maybe that was genuine, but the game sold badly so you just think that was an excuse.

At least the game had some great music by Tommy Tallerico. Screw that guy too.

I actually enjoyed the game though. I originally owned it on Xbox and later bought it for PC, although each at 10 bucks or less. Hoo boy, quite a difference in performance between those two.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Oct 1, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I am enjoying the dialog in Alter Echo so far, it has some fun moments like when the main character first gets the Stealth form and comments that it putting him on all fours like a dog is a bit degrading, and Echo takes it personally, so he has to beg Echo to teach him how to use it as he's got all sulky because you're nitpicking something he worked hard on.
"In this form you can attack opponents with your prehensile tongue."
"You mean you want me to lick people to death?"
"Oh... another flaw... ;_;"
"NO! No, I'm sure it's great... please, tell me more about how it works."
"Why bother... you don't like it."
"No, please. I'm sorry."

Also when he first meets the first human companion she's like "I'm shocked that you're still alive." "Don't you mean 'ecstatic'?" and that made me laugh.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

You playing the Switch version? It kinda seemed neat but afaik there’s no previews/reviews for that version specifically so idk if I wanna take the plunge before knowing it has parity with the other versions.

PS5. I’m playing it 100% blind. The “eureka!” moments when you figure something out using the manual or fiddling with mechanics are just perfect. I even managed to sequence break a little without realizing that’s what I was doing.

There are two things I don’t like much about the game:
-Not being able to rotate the camera is super annoying in some places but that’s really an aesthetic/design choice.

-The combat is “clunky” for lack of a better word. Lock-on breaks too easily, your little guy’s attack range is incredibly short and the parry is far too slow to be useful except in very specific situations. Also the game seems to break its own rules a lot. Some enemies indicate an incoming attack by flashing right beforehand and some don’t. Hell, some have two attacks - one that flashes and one that doesn’t. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it and it can be frustrating. Fighting multiple opponents at the same time can be extremely difficult.

Anyway, there’s a good chance all of that is intentional because you’re a little fox guy who isn’t supposed to be a superhero.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Oct 2, 2022

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I don't know if it's the art style or the (in my opinion really bad) fixed camera angle, but Tunic joins Tetrisphere as the only games to give me an instant, raging headache whenever I try to play them. I really wanted to like the game but I just cannot look at it.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Oh, Tunic; I wanted to love it but it really let me down towards the end.

Non-instruction manual / non-plot spoilers: the boss rush where they take away your upgrades and lock you in an area
I hate when they do each of those things separately, and they combined them. Absolute rage quit moment for me.

yeah if that part sucks just turn on the assist mode stuff to be invulnerable, the best part of the game is the puzzles anyways and i did that myself when dealing with the boss deep underground, you know the one.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Zoig posted:

yeah if that part sucks just turn on the assist mode stuff to be invulnerable, the best part of the game is the puzzles anyways and i did that myself when dealing with the boss deep underground, you know the one.

I just figured out the stupid door puzzles and I did it almost totally by accident and I have no idea how you’re supposed to figure that out in your own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Dying Light 2 there's this toxic gas you can encounter that doesn't hurt but it does cause your infection timer to start dropping and if it reaches zero you turn into a zombie. Something that is kind of neat is that it also works like that on human enemies too. So if you're fighting regular guys and they run into a gas cloud they'll turn and be much easier to kill.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this! posted:

In Dying Light 2 there's this toxic gas you can encounter that doesn't hurt but it does cause your infection timer to start dropping and if it reaches zero you turn into a zombie. Something that is kind of neat is that it also works like that on human enemies too. So if you're fighting regular guys and they run into a gas cloud they'll turn and be much easier to kill.

That's rad as hell. Is it worth the full price?
I love the first and I can only play State of Decay 2 for so long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Full price? No. The story has problems and the controls can be awkward as they chopped everything up into button presses instead of context.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Part of the plot of SUPERHOT is that you can chat with various entities between missions. They write, and you can "type" back, although you really just randomly mash the keyboard and the player character types out their predetermined message. At first I thought this was lame and a little awkward, that you can't actually control the words they type.

Eventually your player character gets addicted to their in-universe VR experience, which is maybe not just the fun game it seems to be and is maybe very dangerous. An chat-er tries to warn you to stop playing. Your predetermined response: "I can't control myself. I'm not even typing these words."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Inzombiac posted:

It's ok, a very high budget 7/10 game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Days Gone is kinda cool in that it takes place in the first fictional non-fictional location I think I've seen in a video game. It has very very many real life locations from the Three-Fingered Jack mountain range featured, including towns, craters, lakes, rivers, and standins for local pit-stops. There's also a lot of local stories that, if you Google 'em, are actually real and have more context associated such as "The Gentleman Bandit". At the very start you flee a town called "Farewell, Oregon", the logo that's on the front of Deacon's Iconic Cap:

I actually didn't know until the game itself revealed this in a historical marker that the real life Bend, Oregon used to be called "Farewell Bend" for varying reasons due to its location as a fork toward either the indigenous wilderness or California. In real life, eventually "Farewell Bend" was shortened simply to "Bend", which is where the game's own production studio finds its home. In Days Gone, this historical marker flips the script in-universe such that actually they shortened it to "Farewell", not "Bend"!
:allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Oct 3, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
These little local history markers can lead to wonderful, strange, and sometimes tragic rabbit holes. My favorite of them is probably this one, about a series of Japan-sent balloon bombs that flew across the ocean in 1945, and they dropped THOUSANDS, absolutely none of which killed anyone. Except for in Oregon, right along the highway where the game takes place, in a spot the game memorializes with flowers and benches.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Oct 3, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I played Alter Echo!

I remember the game looking surprisingly good for its time. Everything looks over-saturated and plastic-y, but in this case that's in-setting how it's supposed to look, and the game's conscious choice for a more stylized art instead of brown and grey as was popular at the time looked really good on the PS2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cythereal posted:

I played Alter Echo!

I remember the game looking surprisingly good for its time. Everything looks over-saturated and plastic-y, but in this case that's in-setting how it's supposed to look, and the game's conscious choice for a more stylized art instead of brown and grey as was popular at the time looked really good on the PS2.

Also the way all the surfaces kind of intertwine given it's not a naturally occurring thing - Echo is a supersubstance created to be the ultimate material that was so advanced it developed itself into a brain and gained a functional mind, and is so large that it completely engulfed the planet. The surfaces are not manmade, they are Echo''s flesh. He even has to help you reach the human built items that you need like spaceship blueprints, because they are so thoroughly buried beneath him, so he has to force some items to the surface so you can get them. The way the surfaces intertwine resembles Muscle tissue in a way. It's kind of the opposite of Quantum Theory, in that in Alter Echo you have organic looking structures that behave like normal buildings, and in Quantum Theory you have masonry that behaves like organic matter, with bridges whipping around like tentacles and towers rising and lowering spontaneously.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My favorite new little thing in Splatoon 3 is that everyone now gets customizable nametags that pop up during multiplayer, with various stylish backgrounds, stickers, and multi-part titles you can use that are awarded during game progression. It's ultimately meaningless, but it adds fun things to collect every handful of matches, and it's just that much more entertaining to find out you've been splatted by someone declaring themselves things like "Superhuman Vice President" or "The Very First Human" :buddy:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Captain Hygiene posted:

My favorite new little thing in Splatoon 3 is that everyone now gets customizable nametags that pop up during multiplayer, with various stylish backgrounds, stickers, and multi-part titles you can use that are awarded during game progression. It's ultimately meaningless, but it adds fun things to collect every handful of matches, and it's just that much more entertaining to find out you've been splatted by someone declaring themselves things like "Superhuman Vice President" or "The Very First Human" :buddy:

Mine is currently Howling Squid or Howling Magician because i haven't unlocked very many of them.

I think i was in a match the other day with someone that said they were Crispy Fried Chicken Vice President

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another good one I saw today was someone named CAT whose title confirmed they were "A Real Cat"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Title systems in games are always great. Mine in MHR is something like THIRD RATE HUNTER FOR HIRE

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Forza Horizon 5 has this wonderful system called 'forza link' where you can assign your d-pad to any number of situational responses, cheers, jeers, references and other irreverent things to say during races and palling around with people. The best part is, after someone ELSE says something on forza link, you can respond directly to them, which has led to the addition of several exchanges you need two or more people to complete:

Everyone screaming over the finish line at once to the Doom E1M1 horn while mashing their dumb forza link memes is some of the finest, most carefree, genuinely fun-focused multiplayer I've played in ages.

edit:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And how could anyone forget the greatest pair of collaborative voice callouts to ever be put in a game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NYLw857Cnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5qfWt1ACBw

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Oct 4, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm too used to Rocket League where 99% of all praise is ironic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best callout was in UT99, saying "I'm on fire!" every time I fell in lava and died

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Nice save! :smugdog:

For real though, I really wish tribes style vocal commands took off. Smite uses them (and even has snazzy voice packs so that the voice will be whatever character you're playing) and it helps so much for complicated team games. Especially when there're multiple objectives that you could be doing at any given time

And while you still get people using them sarcastically it's a lot better than hearing someone exercising their racial slur knowledge for everyone to listen to on open mics

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

beefing it nose-cone first directly into a tree in my F1 car and going "NAILED IT!" to others who do so is one of my favorite pastimes in forza honestly.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I used to play a lot of RimWorld but it always felt like I was trying to exert too much control over my colony's date by save scumming/generally not allowing myself to take too big a hit. So I started my very first no reload run as early gunpowder settlers in the arid shrubland biome.

Not even a quadrum in and I have my starter base set up. Running low on meat so I mark a few docile creatures for hunting. Well, my best hunter managed to miss the rabbit he was aiming for and wing a goddamn elephant, who immediately raged and trampled everyone in my base to death. Game Over.

Most fun I've ever had with the game.

Just restarted as rainforest tribals and I've already lost two people to disease. Fully embracing entropy at this point.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I tried to do a no-reload run as a solo escaped slave. His only friend was his dog. One day he got so depressed he decided to kill the dog. Man was he sad after that.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

credburn posted:

I tried to do a no-reload run as a solo escaped slave. His only friend was his dog. One day he got so depressed he decided to kill the dog. Man was he sad after that.
:stare:
That sounds like the story behind one of those “write a sad story in only six words” things. “My only friend; I killed him”.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

:stare:
That sounds like the story behind one of those “write a sad story in only six words” things. “My only friend; I killed him”.

My only friend; he was delicious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

beefing it nose-cone first directly into a tree in my F1 car and going "NAILED IT!" to others who do so is one of my favorite pastimes in forza honestly.

Ah, the Dewey maneuver.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nothing in forza beats cruising past someone who just slammed into a tree, blasting the Windows XP Shut Down jingle, and immediately slamming into the next tree

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm not really that into racing games, but ngl this Forza chat is making me want to get it, I assume it's horizon 3 that's got all this stuff?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm not really that into racing games, but ngl this Forza chat is making me want to get it, I assume it's horizon 3 that's got all this stuff?
They’re up to 5 now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They’re up to 5 now

Holy crap really? Good thing I asked I guess lol

I guess it's whatever the latest one is in that case

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Holy crap really? Good thing I asked I guess lol

I guess it's whatever the latest one is in that case

4 & 5 are both on gamepass, and easily worth a month or two if you don't have it already.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:same: I don't think I've played a non-Mario Kart racing game since like one of the older Need for Speeds, but this thread is a very effective ad campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It really is just a fun game where the fun is earnest in every respect from the voice acting to the soundtrack choices to unbelievable accessibility options. Everyone in forza horizon 5 is having a real good time including clearly the people who made the thing. it reflects the sheer number of man hours that goes into making a game with like 600 cars from electric F1s to your mom's soccer van really well. And how you can come out the other side of developing something so fatiguing having had a good time, just based on the quality and depth of some of the references. The film side plot for example is stuffed with references to films and directors, strictly not cars, and that's just not something you would see in a game where that stuff is saccharine. Nothing but praise for FH5's genuine nature.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Oct 5, 2022