Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calax posted:

Have them both play the Big E. It's been stated that he looks like a giant warrior in gold to some, while to others (particularly the Sisters of Silence) he looks like just a man. So have him appear different between scenes for fun.

:bisonyes:

I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
schwarzenegger himself is too old to look all ubermenschy anymore

maybe see if the gigachad guy can act

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

With his performance as a jovial supervillain, I'm thinking Death Guard.

'Jovial' is one of the last words that come to mind when I think of the Death Guard.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chemtrailologist posted:

'Jovial' is one of the last words that come to mind when I think of the Death Guard.

Papa Nurgle loves a good joke

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guilliman I see as Kevin McKidd, as Centurion Lucius Vorenus from HBO's Rome:

Angron is Manu Benett playing Crixus in Spartacus:

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh and my best headcanon casting: Fulgrim is Kelsey Grammer

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Chemtrailologist posted:

You might be equating the entire Death Guard with notable sourpuss Mortarion. Other DG characters lean into the whackiness of jolly old Nurgle and his demons.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Any specific names or books? The stuff I've read they are almost always very serious and thoughtful.

They don't come across as outwardly happy.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

0konner posted:

Oh and my best headcanon casting: Fulgrim is Kelsey Grammer

He would be better as Malcador imo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Guilliman I see as Kevin McKidd, as Centurion Lucius Vorenus from HBO's Rome:

Angron is Manu Benett playing Crixus in Spartacus:

this guy budgets better lol

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Udo Keir under CGI as Magnus?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Chemtrailologist posted:

Any specific names or books? The stuff I've read they are almost always very serious and thoughtful.

Lords of Silence. It's the best DG novel and one of the best 40k books IMO. It's Chris Wraight too!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I've read it, one of my favourites.

I was asking if there were any books that make the DG seem like a happy bunch of marines. Their portrayal in LoS is that they're a pretty dour group.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ian McKellen as Malcador or Patrick Stewart.

Hell I think Crispin Glover is still around.

James Earl Jones to ferret out fascists and because he’s awesome.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Chemtrailologist posted:

Sure, there's a lot of plague marines that similar to Mortarion in disposition, but Nurgle himself has always been depicted as jovial, with nurglings providing slapstick comedy. Some marines in the DG keep nurglings as pets.

From The Lords of Silence (not actually plot spoilers):
He works his way down a long spiral stair, wheezing as he goes. His lungs are half full of fluid, and he cannot help but think it a poor Gift. Then again, he has thought other Gifts were poor in the past, only to discover their genius much later. ‘Forgive,’ he says, speaking softly to the Little Lord at his elbow. The tiny daemon giggles, then farts liquidly into the crook of his armour. That counts as forgiveness, probably.

He reaches his destination. He is a long way down now, buried within the folded heart of Solace’s central chamber-core. It smells rich here, like old soil. He sees pale worms wriggling through the mouldering metalwork, each barely longer than his fingernail. They glow. They have many eyes. And long teeth. Why does a worm need teeth? He’s doing it again. Too curious – that’s always been his problem.

Once within, he climbs the interior stairs, treading paths that he built himself. Every worn stone is familiar, every smell is comforting. Once he would have scorned such notions, having been made immune to all calls of family or community. Now he values these things. He tends to his herds and his slaves, seeing what can be made of them and taking pleasure in their successes.

The protagonist of that book (a plague marine) is such a likable doofus.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I thought Lord's of Silence illustrated that Plague Marines were like a knife edge away from acknowledging the horror of the their existence and its only by embracing the humor or inescapablility of their life that they remain saneish.

Or was that the other plague marine book.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Brendan Rodgers posted:

He would be better as Malcador imo

Counterpoint: old grizzled Mark Hammil

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Badly Jester posted:

Sure, there's a lot of plague marines that similar to Mortarion in disposition, but Nurgle himself has always been depicted as jovial, with nurglings providing slapstick comedy. Some marines in the DG keep nurglings as pets.

From The Lords of Silence (not actually plot spoilers):
He works his way down a long spiral stair, wheezing as he goes. His lungs are half full of fluid, and he cannot help but think it a poor Gift. Then again, he has thought other Gifts were poor in the past, only to discover their genius much later. ‘Forgive,’ he says, speaking softly to the Little Lord at his elbow. The tiny daemon giggles, then farts liquidly into the crook of his armour. That counts as forgiveness, probably.

He reaches his destination. He is a long way down now, buried within the folded heart of Solace’s central chamber-core. It smells rich here, like old soil. He sees pale worms wriggling through the mouldering metalwork, each barely longer than his fingernail. They glow. They have many eyes. And long teeth. Why does a worm need teeth? He’s doing it again. Too curious – that’s always been his problem.

Once within, he climbs the interior stairs, treading paths that he built himself. Every worn stone is familiar, every smell is comforting. Once he would have scorned such notions, having been made immune to all calls of family or community. Now he values these things. He tends to his herds and his slaves, seeing what can be made of them and taking pleasure in their successes.

The protagonist of that book (a plague marine) is such a likable doofus.

i love that they are a bunch of goons.

Telsa Cola posted:

I thought Lord's of Silence illustrated that Plague Marines were like a knife edge away from acknowledging the horror of the their existence and its only by embracing the humor or inescapablility of their life that they remain saneish.

so they are something awful?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

0konner posted:

Counterpoint: old grizzled Mark Hammil

That is the Emperor when Malcador meets him in the Empyrean.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Christopher Walken for Emperor, but he's Jason Momoa when he's got his glamour on.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Zahn McClarnon is my choice for Emps. Just CG him so he's huge when he needs to be.

I'm also partial to Cavill as Valdor and I'm pretty sure he's said Valdor is his dream role anyhows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shroud posted:

Christopher Walken for Emperor, but he's Jason Momoa when he's got his glamour on.

Christopher Walken us already playing Emperor Shaddam IV in Dune Part 2.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Jeff Goldblum for Lorgar.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

See I would characterize the DG as jolly, even the ones in LoS, it's just a different sort of jolly. Not a Tom Bombadil but rather someone in a horrible depressive episode who nevertheless is having a happy experience. A kind of gritty acceptance that the world is hell but the current moment is enough. As someone who has gone through some really bad bouts of depression I liken it to when the depressive episodes were really bad but I was playing with my kids and had some happiness in the moment but still felt like poo poo on the whole. Probably a better word for it but there is definitely some jolly there with all the other poo poo.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Marshal Prolapse posted:

James Earl Jones to ferret out fascists and because he’s awesome.

Only the top 1% most brokenbrained pundits are going to stir poo poo up about JEJ voicing a white guy because... you know.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isnt he like 90 or some poo poo

the series is 9 books they gotta have like a 40yo or something

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I may have read this here years back… but in my dream world there is a Ciaphas Cain mini series. Mr. Bean would play Cain in his day-today life, and Henry Cavill would play him as he is depicted by the Imperial propaganda machine.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JEJ is pretty much retired now. He even let them digitally recreate his voice for that Kenobi tv show rather than do it himself.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If I had Bezos money I'd fund my own Eisenhorn series. I'd tell Henry Cavill in person that he gets to play Gideon Ravenor just to see the look on his face.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Chemtrailologist posted:

If I had Bezos money I'd fund my own Eisenhorn series. I'd tell Henry Cavill in person that he gets to play Gideon Ravenor just to see the look on his face.

For me it would be the Vervunhive defense as a 3 hour movie. I'd get Bryan Cranston to play Larkin.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Chemtrailologist posted:

That’s good because once he’s in the box nobody else is gonna see it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Chemtrailologist posted:

He actually looks a bit like pre-chair Gideon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Telsa Cola posted:

Isn't that just the human condition?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Chemtrailologist posted:

Same, but a five season retelling of the Gothic War, because spaceships are great and there aren't enough spaceship tv shows.

Too many people think the Millenium Falcon is the coolest spaceship, cause they've never seen a flying cathedral that has a half-kilometer high statue of an angel on top of it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Telsa Cola posted:

One thing I liked about Echoes of Eternity is that a lot of the human Chaos forces could only operate by being in complete denial of the literal monsters they'd become. The titan crew in particular is just horrible..

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chemtrailologist posted:

I would kiss his face

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arquinsiel posted:

Isn't that just the human goon condition?

Ftfy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/05/three-black-library-warhammer-40000-masterpieces-are-back-and-better-than-ever/

This weeks Black Library announcement is another set of fancy reprints.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Casting Johan Hegg (from Amon Amarth) as Leman Russ:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
John Mikl Thor with a beard to play Logan Grimnar