Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I went from 40 people being in queue to 20,000. How the hell did that happen.

Each of those forty people were actually 500 people in an overcoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it'll be great when I stop being punished for merging accounts and I'm allowed to play

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1577653381283418117?s=46&t=RyJrzBlej-QskEizOg4Jxw

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
JQ is my new favorite hero. I'm routinely outdamaging even good DPS players with her.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I recommend not charging in so often. you're your team's only big boy now: don't leave them in the dust!

Perhaps I Was given two fire strikes for a reason..

Also, is Brigitte buffed by context now that barriers are harder to come by? While 250 hp can't stand up to any amount of choke point spam but it'll help with the Widowmaker plinking someone mentioned.

Edit - I guess they disallowed prepaid because a hacker or griefer could use a burner phone but holy poo poo just work on those edge cases manually or something and don't make people feel too poor to play a game.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 5, 2022

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

This game is rear end

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 5, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Perhaps I Was given two fire strikes for a reason..

Also, is Brigitte buffed by context now that barriers are harder to come by? While 250 hp can't stand up to any amount of choke point spam but it'll help with the Widowmaker plinking someone mentioned.

Edit - I guess they disallowed prepaid because a hacker or griefer could use a burner phone but holy poo poo just work on those edge cases manually or something and don't make people feel too poor to play a game.

One of brigs biggest weakness was not having any way to heal herself without taking a risk.

She now not only gets free healing while taking cover.

Also she keeps the new passive self healing going even if her shield takes hits.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Brigitte's someone I wanna play with whenever they decide to let me in. taking away the stun seems brutal

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

spunkshui posted:

One of brigs biggest weakness was not having any way to heal herself without taking a risk.

She now not only gets free healing while taking cover.

Also she keeps the new passive self healing going even if her shield takes hits.

Yes, I was thinking about that, too. Pretty excited to try it myself, this weekend probably.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

JQ is my new favorite hero. I'm routinely outdamaging even good DPS players with her.

That's the case with every Tank now basically.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Maybe I'm just a big brained genius but the new robot pushing mode isn't that complicated. Why do I see so many people treating it like they're asking you to do calculus while skydiving.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe I'm just a big brained genius but the new robot pushing mode isn't that complicated. Why do I see so many people treating it like they're asking you to do calculus while skydiving.

TF2 had a mode where both teams push a cart in opposite directions didn't they? Or was it two carts on two tracks?

Also hasn't a tank always been a "better fighter" than most DPSs barring things like Reaper the Tank Killer? The DPS thing isn't actually raw brawling ability it's mobility, right?

Like, most DPS aren't happy facing most tanks in anything like a one on one fight, right? Am I just completely off base on that?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Change scary

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Overwatch 2 launch is a bust. They should scrap it and start development on Overwatch 3.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

TF2 had a mode where both teams push a cart in opposite directions didn't they? Or was it two carts on two tracks?

Also hasn't a tank always been a "better fighter" than most DPSs barring things like Reaper the Tank Killer? The DPS thing isn't actually raw brawling ability it's mobility, right?

Like, most DPS aren't happy facing most tanks in anything like a one on one fight, right? Am I just completely off base on that?

it's more complicated than that, but especially in 5v5 tanks are deliberately designed to take space through being a big threat. not every duel is gonna go the same way though

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Concurred posted:

Overwatch 2 launch is a bust. They should scrap it and start development on Overwatch 3.

They're way ahead of you, PvE launches next year (in theory)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

$20 skins on top of the battlepass baby, no poors allowed

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

That's the case with every Tank now basically.

Yeah, the more I play the game the more it seems like this is a terrible idea.

It feels fresh at first, but when a tank is out of position and at half health for the 30th time and takes a duel 1v1 against a DPS that tries to punish them and wins with their personal CDs alone for survival, it starts to get pretty unfun. One of my mains is Sym who CLEARLY has gotten the short end of the stick in this game, but tanks like Orisa and Doomfist just basically tank my fully charged beam and 3 turrets for like 5 seconds straight and live, then take me from 225 health > 0 in like 2 seconds.

There was an instance where I was playing Pharah and an Orisa survived through my entire ult by popping CDs and having a mercy beaming them. It's a little ridiculous.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

It feels fresh at first, but when a tank is out of position and at half health for the 30th time and takes a duel 1v1 against a DPS that tries to punish them and wins with their personal CDs alone for survival, it starts to get pretty unfun. One of my mains is Sym who CLEARLY has gotten the short end of the stick in this game, but tanks like Orisa and Doomfist just basically tank my fully charged beam and 3 turrets for like 5 seconds straight and live, then take me from 225 health > 0 in like 2 seconds.

There was an instance where I was playing Pharah and an Orisa survived through my entire ult by popping CDs and having a mercy beaming them. It's a little ridiculous.

Sym was always my main DPS and she's feels so bad now. She has no defensive abilities, and she always had to have a shields or at least a large back to hide behind and OW2 has neither.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The fully charged beam is no longer a chainsaw?

Edit - to be clear I don't necessarily mean "in OW2", I fell off of OW1 so I may have lots of out of date character impressions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

The fully charged beam is no longer a chainsaw?

It is but there's no way to charge the beam without exposing yourself to danger anymore, because there are no shields, so you don't get to charge the beam easily.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sucks. Maybe I'll main Rein in this version of OW.

Rein, Brig...is there a barrier DPS?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

That sucks. Maybe I'll main Rein in this version of OW.

Rein, Brig...is there a barrier DPS?

Mei and Torb? lol

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Sym was always my main DPS and she's feels so bad now. She has no defensive abilities, and she always had to have a shields or at least a large back to hide behind and OW2 has neither.

Yeah, I thought the new DPS passive they announced would be perfect for her, since it gives her momentum on beam kills, but TBH, I haven't really noticed it. I'm sure if I pull a big flank and eliminate their entire backline it helps, but the char is fundamentally underpowered. It used to be a character that punishes either greediness or stagnation on tanks, now i'm not sure what it does.

And it doesn't really end with her, i'm not too sure what reaper does anymore either. The same thing with flanks, I suppose, but you can't duel against hogs or DVAs with him anymore. Mei? Doesn't do anything.

There is a pattern with characters that essentially lost something huge they had in OW1 vs characters that didn't; look at Tracer, Soldier, or Genji. They are top of the chain because they are basically the same they were, while probably half or more of the DPS role is notably worse than they were in OW1, while all tanks are stronger. Even cowboy man is pretty weak right now, because he has no flashbang (and let's be honest, the sticky nade is still annoying, just no where near as good as the bang). Saying it's a change is more of an understatement than people seem to realize or admit at first.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 5, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol

"Do you guys not have (non-prepaid) phones???"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Yeah, I thought the new DPS passive they announced would be perfect for her, since it gives her momentum on beam kills, but TBH, I haven't really noticed it. I'm sure if I pull a big flank and eliminate their entire backline it helps, but the char is fundamentally underpowered. It used to be a character that punishes either greediness or stagnation on tanks, now i'm not sure what it does.

And it doesn't really end with her, i'm not too sure what reaper does anymore either. The same thing with flanks, I suppose, but you can't duel against hogs or DVAs with him anymore. Mei? Doesn't do anything.

There is a pattern with characters that essentially lost something huge they had in OW1 vs characters that didn't; look at Tracer, Soldier, or Genji. Even cowboy man is pretty weak right now, because he has no flashbang (and let's be honest, the sticky nade is still annoying, just no where near as good as the bang). They are top of the chain because they are basically the same they were, while probably half or more of the DPS role is notably worse than they were in OW1, while all tanks are stronger. Saying it's a change is more of an understatement than people seem to realize or admit at first.

I was really convinced that the betas were just "here's some early changed we'll keep expanding on" and not ALL of the changes.

They changed the game balance drastically but left like half of the cast untouched, so a whole bunch of them are just really badly designed for this new environment.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My prepaid number was explicitly rejected on Sunday and for whatever reason it worked last night.

If you've got a prepaid number just keep trying I guess? A bunch of poo poo seems broken so they might be erroneously rejecting numbers as their servers slowly die. Or else their broken servers erroneously accepted my number. Who knows. It's a really lovely system that they implemented in any case. The person quoted in that tweet who said Blizzard made them feel too poor to play a video game is really sad.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

BabyRyoga posted:

their tank redesign is so terrible i have to hope they'll fix it, but i already know i'll be let down

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Also, Re: aiming, because it has been way harder to aim in OW2, but also thought maybe I was just getting old or bad at games or something:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/xw23i0/is_it_just_me_or_does_ow2_feel_weird/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

That was payload race, where you had two rolling objectives and had to push them into the opponent's base. Technically different but same function, the objectives were just more sticky because you couldn't quickly roll it back. The closest I can think of would probably be splatoon whose ranked mode had a moving tower that you had to move back to the other team's base, but other games have had modes like it.

Really, just fight on the objective. Doesn't matter what the objectives is, fight on it, follow it, win.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wheeee posted:

their tank redesign is so terrible i have to hope they'll fix it, but i already know i'll be let down

Yeah I loved OW1 more than I cared to admit and this new format and the character redesigns somehow feel like they’ve taken something out of it? One tank makes the whole thing weirdly unbalanced (not on mechanics, but on feel).

OW1 felt like it was about pushing tanks forward while the team keeps the line and allows for pushing forward. OW2 feels like it’s about support/dps buzzing around the one tank like a swarm of bees, trying to deal as much damage as possible. Idk, it feels like it’s meant to be faster but really it just feels more chaotic.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

Also, Re: aiming, because it has been way harder to aim in OW2, but also thought maybe I was just getting old or bad at games or something:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/xw23i0/is_it_just_me_or_does_ow2_feel_weird/

yea i haven't played much so i can't put my finger on it but something feels different

turned off the AMD fsr and resolution scaling but it's still not smooth, like there's a new jitter. playing on a 144hz gsync display and ow2 just isn't as smooth as ow despite still holding high average frame rates

Sandwolf posted:

Yeah I loved OW1 more than I cared to admit and this new format and the character redesigns somehow feel like they’ve taken something out of it? One tank makes the whole thing weirdly unbalanced (not on mechanics, but on feel).

OW1 felt like it was about pushing tanks forward while the team keeps the line and allows for pushing forward. OW2 feels like it’s about support/dps buzzing around the one tank like a swarm of bees, trying to deal as much damage as possible. Idk, it feels like it’s meant to be faster but really it just feels more chaotic.

one tank is good, one tank that happens to be an overpowered raid boss that can easily 1v1 any non-tank and even take 1v2 fights they 'shouldn't' be able to is bad

the game turning into a slog in which tanks pussyfoot around behind shields until one team has enough Q's charged to bust the stalemate is absolutely awful gameplay, the present ow2 tank paradigm sucks but is still better than before

the entire trinity design principle is wack as gently caress and doesn't work for an FPS, but if you gotta have it tanks should just be slightly burlier dps with more utility and a commensurate decrease in damage

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 5, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Nah, it's not just you. I can definitely feel something being off about aiming in OW2.

I just played OW1 right when it was shut down and the difference between them is noticeable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BabyRyoga posted:

On the contrary here. I've been playing a lot of Apex for the past two years and coming back to OW feels really good and I've been absolutely shredding people with hitscan. The new engine feels really good overall, but especially the aiming.

Some people there mention it, but make sure your resolution settings aren't on one of the 60fps ones. The menus are really terribly laid out in general, but especially all the graphics settings.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 5, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Rein feels so good I'm loving the double fire strike

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

On the contrary here. I've been playing a lot of Apex for the past two years and coming back to OW feels really good and I've been absolutely shredding people with hitscan. The new engine feels really good overall, but especially the aiming.

I haven't been playing Apex for the last 2 years but I can echo this sentiment because last night I was wrecking ppl with hitscan. I even remarked to my friend who I was grouped with that 76 felt better than he ever has.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This sounds entirely horrifying to the point where I feel i must be misunderstanding it. They're making a tournament division separate from the main division entirely for trans people and women in order to make them feel more included in the community...by separating them from the main cup? And to accomplish this separate but equal inclusivity bonanza you have to go through gender screening?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

It’s been like two years since I’ve played overwatch and I am having a blast. That new tug of war mode with the robot is awesome. Definitely enjoying 1 tank over two as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I very much enjoyed the beta and was looking forward to playing the full release of the game, but I haven't been able to even log into the game since it opened up yesterday lol