Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shrimpy posted:

No one is talking about how the Panthers are 10-0 under Rhule when the opponent scores less than 17 points.

you know, that's 1-26, if you take that 1, and extrapolate it out, you know, across, what's that, like 104 quarters, you know, and average that, you know, we're doing pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

the Cardinals are weird, every time i watch them they are doing exciting things and it seems like they should be a lot better than they are but then they lose to dogshit teams

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To be fair coaching a college football team is not all that similar to coaching a pro team, so guys who were successful in college but not the pros have a decent shot at being successful again in college.

Example: Chip Kelly is doing fine at UCLA despite hardcore flaming out in the NFL.

Yeah. Just to pile on Pete Carroll was extremely blah during his first attempts at NFL head coaching. He took a Patriots team Parcells had built and led to the Super Bowl and did progressively worse each year til he was fired. Then he went to USC and was absolutely dominant for nearly a decade (replacing Nathaniel Hackett's dad, as a funny footnote, lol football coaching is nothing but nepotism). Then obviously his return to the Seahawks went pretty ok for a long time.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Chip Kelly has a losing record at UCLA after 5 years. Sure, he 5-0 this year but against 1 quality opponent.

He sucks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

Chip Kelly has a losing record at UCLA after 5 years. Sure, he 5-0 this year but against 1 quality opponent.

He sucks.

Most teams don’t have more than one quality win 5 games into the college season. And I’m not going to argue that he’s great, but from what I remember Mora left a pretty big hole for him to dig out as far as leftover talent and recruiting.

The larger point that colleges don’t give a poo poo about how did in the NFL if you’ve got college success to point to is absolutely correct anyway.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Lane also didn't deserve to be fired by the Raiders. That was the senile Al Davis phase and saddled Lane with JaMarcus Russell when Lane wanted Megatron

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

Lane also didn't deserve to be fired by the Raiders. That was the senile Al Davis phase and saddled Lane with JaMarcus Russell when Lane wanted Megatron
I wonder how Megatron would have done with *checks notes* Ken Walter Josh McCown throwing him the ball?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Counterpoint: Lane has deserved it every time he's been fired and I hope they keep getting progressively funnier.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Has anyone tried bringing in college guys as GMs rather than HCs in the NFL? Seems like guys that are great at the NCAA level because they can out recruit everyone might be better in a post where they are running the scouting, player evaluation and overall program building parts of the job rather than the day-to-day play calling and gameplanning stuff that's a lot easier in college where you can just out talent everyone.

I guess there's a big prestige difference between HC and GM that'd be hard to convince someone to move for. And obviously there are guys who are better fits the other way who are great game day coaches held back by bad recruiting that wouldn't matter at the pro level. But just looking at "a guy did great as a college HC, he should be an NFL HC seems Ike it's missing something.

And that's not even getting into the difference in people management skills required to deal with college kids rather than pros.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I wonder how Megatron would have done with *checks notes* Ken Walter Josh McCown throwing him the ball?

Reggie Ball.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

epic bacon posted:

the Cardinals are weird, every time i watch them they are doing exciting things and it seems like they should be a lot better than they are but then they lose to dogshit teams

They have no plan outside of getting older players.

The GM is an idiot and only fills short term holes. I hate the coach. Kyler can't throw short. I don't know what the point of this team is.

So it's every year of my time following the Cardinals, except they suck less than the Kolb years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Forrest on Fire posted:

They have no plan outside of getting older players.

The GM is an idiot and only fills short term holes. I hate the coach. Kyler can't throw short. I don't know what the point of this team is.

So it's every year of my time following the Cardinals, except they suck less than the Kolb years.

Robert Mays describes them as: Kyler go do something the team

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

Lane also didn't deserve

heh

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

pseudodragon posted:

Has anyone tried bringing in college guys as GMs rather than HCs in the NFL? Seems like guys that are great at the NCAA level because they can out recruit everyone might be better in a post where they are running the scouting, player evaluation and overall program building parts of the job rather than the day-to-day play calling and gameplanning stuff that's a lot easier in college where you can just out talent everyone.

I guess there's a big prestige difference between HC and GM that'd be hard to convince someone to move for. And obviously there are guys who are better fits the other way who are great game day coaches held back by bad recruiting that wouldn't matter at the pro level. But just looking at "a guy did great as a college HC, he should be an NFL HC seems Ike it's missing something.

And that's not even getting into the difference in people management skills required to deal with college kids rather than pros.

College recruiting has zero correlation to NFL scouting, drafting, or free agent signing. They are fundamentally different jobs.

Every college coach that tried doing the "I'm also a brilliant GM" thing got their rear end humiliated for it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Matt Ryan isn't playing great but it's hard to say if it's due to him or because the offensive line is way underperforming. Ryan has had streaks of looking good, but the worst thing that's happening is he's getting pressured constantly and fumbling.

The line also isn't opening holes for JT.

So it really isn't a QB issue that has him on the hot seat. It's that the team is not playing well or up to their potential and again they've started off slowly. This stuff falls on the coach.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ryan is toast my dude

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Codependent Poster posted:

Matt Ryan isn't playing great but it's hard to say if it's due to him or because the offensive line is way underperforming. Ryan has had streaks of looking good, but the worst thing that's happening is he's getting pressured constantly and fumbling.

The line also isn't opening holes for JT.

So it really isn't a QB issue that has him on the hot seat. It's that the team is not playing well or up to their potential and again they've started off slowly. This stuff falls on the coach.

On the Athletic's GM podcast they mentioned that Ryan has had a hard time learning the new scheme and vernacular. I think when you combine being a slow moving dude and suddenly you're also processing everything slower it's been a recipe for disaster. I guess the good news is that he can only get better as he gains experience.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Benne posted:

Ryan is toast my dude

Matt Ryan is the same age and draft class as Joe Flacco. He’s done as a plus starter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

Ryan is toast my dude

He's fairly toasty, but he can still make throws, he just can't move. At all. I knew they weren't all that great outside of Nelson on OL (who seems to be having his own problems this year), but I didn't know they'd be this bad.

Part of this is probably growing pains too playing with new guys too, most QBs who move don't light things up right away and at least get a little better as the season goes on. I mean I guess we'll see if there's anything left in the tank as the year goes on, but it probably won't be enough either way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Colts are showing why you shouldn't just draft superstars at all the degraded positions

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

pseudodragon posted:

Unfortunately in the NFL you can't just go out and get a bunch of great talent by having a bag man. There are rules you have to follow, the draft interferes with things, and the salary cap means you can't overpay for talent. Being a GM is about a lot more than recruiting, you have to balance a lot of things as well that head coach of a college program would have no experience with.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

Colts are showing why you shouldn't just draft superstars at all the degraded positions
Yeah what have they got going right now... Guard, ILB, DT? And uhhh?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah what have they got going right now... Guard, ILB, DT? And uhhh?

Running back, at least Taylor was stupid good last year.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
didnt they pay a lot for their two guards even tho their o-line can't pass or run block right now?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

pseudodragon posted:

Chip Kelly was the last college guy who tried to handle GM duties too and he was even worse at that than the day to day coaching.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Relentlessboredomm posted:

didnt they pay a lot for their two guards even tho their o-line can't pass or run block right now?

Maybe center? I'm not too caught up on the Colts. I know they're dealing with injuries / benching guys / everything up front just being a mess

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

They have an assload of draft capital (both first round picks) and money tied up in Quenton Nelson (G) and Ryan Kelly (C). Nelson is an absolute stud, and I think Kelly is good too? But they could both be locks for the HoF and I still don't know how you justify having ~10% of your entire cap tied up in two interior OL. 15% if you include their RT.

Compare this to say, the Bucs, who before injuries were thought to have one of the sickest lines in the NFL. The combined cap % of both original guards, center, and RT is like 6%.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nelson, Kelly, and Smith have pretty good-sized contracts. All three of them aren't playing up to their contracts. Nelson seems to have at least some leeway because he's basically covering for LT too. One LT is no better than a spot backup, and the other is a rookie who will probably end up being pretty good, but needs to get reps and some time to get there. RG is a mess of JAGs who are constantly getting toasted. Smith at RT is more of a bruiser run blocker and weaker at pass protection who's natural position is probably RG. So basically a combination of having a rookie LT who is developing but splitting time with a backup, and nobody but backup RGs combined with the other three not playing well is killing the offense.

Ryan has looked good in stretches. But I think it's really hard to say if he's washed or not because he pretty much has zero time to throw from the pocket. It's leading to a lot of pressures, sacks, and fumbles. From what I've seen, he's making good reads when he's given time, but his arm strength is about toast. But all the Colts were really looking for him was to make good reads and not play like Carson Wentz, and if the line can protect him, it seems like he can do that.

But basically it all boils down to the offensive line is killing the team. And there's no excuse for that with how much they've invested into the players.

The Colts also seem dead set on going with 3 WR sets and that is not their strength. They should really be playing 2 TE sets since they have 3 pretty solid TEs. It would help with pass and run blocking. Pittman is a beast and Pierce looks really good after a pretty bad first week. So a lot of this falls on coaching and Reich has been slow to fix the holes in his gameplan.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 5, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Unfortunately in the NFL you can't just go out and get a bunch of great talent by having a bag man. There are rules you have to follow, the draft interferes with things, and the salary cap means you can't overpay for talent. Being a GM is about a lot more than recruiting, you have to balance a lot of things as well that head coach of a college program would have no experience with.

I dont know much about the college system but it would seem there's going to be a much larger talent pool to draw from and more rope for you to gently caress up getting those guys to succeed than draft picks and a free agent class.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
College: convince teenagers to accept the money from your specific bag men and promise you'll get them to the NFL. There's a loving army of assistants and interns at your beck and call. You are paid more than the entire teams NIL's combined (for the moment) and are a god in many states or at least a college town.

Pros: you are paid like a mediocre journeyman and everyone knows it. These are men now with varying priorities and personalities you have to manage now. Where you could yell at that teenage defensive lineman, threaten his scholarship and NIL money in college you can only bully the kickers now.....if they're not to good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

you can only bully the kickers now

The last guy who tried this was fired hours after it was made public

quote:

On December 15, former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo publicly accused Meyer of physical abuse, saying that Meyer repeatedly kicked Lambo's leg during warmups prior to the team's final preseason game. Lambo said it was inexcusable for any boss at any workplace to strike an employee. After Lambo told Meyer never to kick him again, Lambo said Meyer responded, "I'm the head ball coach. I'll kick you whenever the gently caress I want." Later that day, Lambo reported the incident to his agent, who then reported it to the Jaguars team.[83][84] Within hours of these new revelations from Lambo, Jaguars owner Shahid Khan made the decision to fire Meyer from his position and informed him of this in the early hours of December 16, 2021.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I think we can all agree: abolish for-profit college athletics and disband the NFL.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

One of the biggest selling points for me about Rhule was he was able to build and recruit at programs where he didn’t have access to name brand appeal and (as far as we know, Baylor) bagmen bribing people. He didn’t do great against top 25 teams but that wasn’t as big a deal for me as just putting things together.

Like the guy clearly has organizational skill but he is just completely out of his depth from a coaching a player management perspective in the nfl. And you just see it every week.

I think it was Doronin who posted once that the reason the big 12 doesn’t produce offensive linemen is since everyone is running air raid, all they need the linemen to do is get in the way and be athletic enough to line up for the next snap. It really felt for the first two seasons that Rhule thought they could outscheme other defenses and he didn’t need anyone that could actually block on the offensive line.

Turns out your scheme doesn’t matter when both DEs can blow through your line in two seconds.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Chris James 2 posted:

The last guy who tried this was fired hours after it was made public

I thought I headed off pedants "going Justin Tucker lol" but here we are talking about a kicker nobody cared about till he went to the press.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/1PantherPlace/status/1578044207662505985?s=20&t=ZBu-iYhM_2xcDwbhbH_4rg

Just unreal.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Benne posted:

Ryan is toast my dude

Colts should have made a play for Minshew instead of the corpse formerly known as Matt Ryan.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Next year the colts starting qb will be Jimmy garropolo

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

This makes a lot of sense. It'll be after a divisional round victory over the Packers where their defense did the heavy lifting before succumbing to eventual Super Bowl champ Tom Brady and co in the NFC championship.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 6, 2022

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Derek Carr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,