Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A Moose posted:

So, the first explorer anthology had a few cards for the top tier deck, and a couple of strong tier 2 decks (kalitas, mausoleum wanderer, supreme verdict, elvish mystic Hangarback Walker (this might be good when we get Nykthos),
some janky budget decks that used to be good (Ensoul Artifact, Darksteel Citadel, battlewise hoplite, favored hoplite, titan's strength)
a rock deck that isn't very good but everyone wants to play it (Siege Rhino, Tireless Tracker)
some brawl cards (Alesha, shadowborn apostle)
some sideboard cards to shut people up who complain about certain decks (slaughter games, tainted remedy)
and some cards that might be good, or someone might be able to do something with them if we get some other cards (back to nature, temur battle rage, Rally the Ancestors)

so pretty much every card in the anthology does something. whether or not it does something GOOD is debatable, but they have a reason for being there. Given that, I wonder what we're going to see out of the next anthology?

I'm guessing Nykthos, Thing in the Ice, and maybe swiftspear or dig through time for good constructed playables

probably hidden strings and thespian's stage for the janky budget deck. (We're getting Pore over Pages in shadows of innistrad remastered (probably))

i'm expecting some stuff that plays into the whole phyrexian/brother's war arc thematically to tie into the main set, some stuff targeted towards bringing down the greasefang and lifegain decks in power level, and some stuff that ostensibly are for explorer but also gets targeted towards bringing down how good izzet wizards is in historic.

i like the cards you're suggesting; i wouldn't be surprised to see abrupt decay. most of the cards i'd particularly like seeing are likely to be in SoI remastered, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Great news! They just announced Shadows Over Innistrad Remastered for next year

Boxman posted:

And another explorer anthology later this year, I believe.

sweet :yayclod:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Panderfringe posted:

Well then i guess I'll be eating my hat or flagellate myself or however one seeks penance

They announced it after your post, so you should be taking credit for it.

Thanks, Panderfringe!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

i'm expecting some stuff that plays into the whole phyrexian/brother's war arc thematically to tie into the main set, some stuff targeted towards bringing down the greasefang and lifegain decks in power level, and some stuff that ostensibly are for explorer but also gets targeted towards bringing down how good izzet wizards is in historic.

i like the cards you're suggesting; i wouldn't be surprised to see abrupt decay. most of the cards i'd particularly like seeing are likely to be in SoI remastered, yeah

I really hope its Nykthos and Thing in the Ice, those would bring 2 pretty much brand new archetypes into the tier-1.5 zone with Spirits and UW control and mono-red. People are already playing mono-g ramp and it's a solid tier 2 right now. Karn shutting off vehicles, AND being able to tutor for Unlicensed Hearse means it can sometimes do well against greasefang. a good UR deck would be great too, because they can play the tempo game vs greasefang. Burning or countering greasefang while getting payoff from casting spells, so they don't lose to the midrange plan B

For that matter, I kinda hope we don't get abrupt decay because that would be so good in greasefang.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I would expect nykthos or swiftspear, but not both. they're heavily incentivized to spread out the amount of pioneer staples they introduce into explorer, both to make the anthologies attractive, and to not overwhelm the explorer format and make redundant the efforts to port in hundreds of cards that don't matter as much via remastered sets

See also bring to light, mana confluence, boros charm, Sylvan scrying, thespian's stage, etc.

Notably, SOI-EMN contains multiple staples itself, like spell queller, emrakul, traverse the ulvenwald, thing in the ice, Lili last hope, selfless spirit, relentless dead...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Historic Gates continues to be fun, maybe I'll spend some time with that until the next draft lol

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Lone Goat posted:

They announced it after your post, so you should be taking credit for it.

Thanks, Panderfringe!

My apocalyptic pessimism serves me well

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Moose posted:

I really hope its Nykthos and Thing in the Ice, those would bring 2 pretty much brand new archetypes into the tier-1.5 zone with Spirits and UW control and mono-red. People are already playing mono-g ramp and it's a solid tier 2 right now. Karn shutting off vehicles, AND being able to tutor for Unlicensed Hearse means it can sometimes do well against greasefang. a good UR deck would be great too, because they can play the tempo game vs greasefang. Burning or countering greasefang while getting payoff from casting spells, so they don't lose to the midrange plan B

For that matter, I kinda hope we don't get abrupt decay because that would be so good in greasefang.

Thing in the Ice taking up a spot in the Anthology only to be re-released later in Shadows over Innistrad Remastered would be hilarious

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

drat, I forgot how many good cards SoI had

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

eldritch evolution, sigarda's aid, cryptolith rite, Westvale abbey, and my first Commander and my first love, odric lunarch Marshall

E: tireless tracker and cryptbreaker too but they're already in arena. E2: Jace unraveler of secrets, Thalia's lieutenant, collective brutality I think?, diregraf colossus

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thalia's Lieutenant is already in and the terror of CoCo decks

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Eej posted:

Thalia's Lieutenant is already in and the terror of CoCo decks

Is historic humans fast enough compared to "all my creatures are lords" tribals or resilient enough to beat control?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah it's good enough, it's basically Explorer Humans (GW) except you get the ever wonderful Esper Sentinel and CoCo-on-a-stick Inquisitor Captain. Who I have not blown Rare WCs on because Alchemy and I probably should cause she's not going anywhere.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is Aether Vial in historic?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MikeCrotch posted:

Is Aether Vial in historic?

no and i doubt we'll see it

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Explorer Monowhite Humans is missing Mutavault and Brave the Elements from the Pioneer version. They should put those in the Anthology.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Anyone have a decklist for this week's Midweek Magic?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

flatluigi posted:

no and i doubt we'll see it

That would be a fun card specifically and only for historic brawl

that said i still want skullclamp for hbrawl even more :unsmigghh:

and the rest of the spellbombs, and disciple of the vault

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm fine not ever seeing skullclamp in historic.

I still love that when skullclamp was first spoiled the article pointed out how it was broken as hell. The -1 toughness was supposed to be a downside, originally it was +1/+1!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shooting Blanks posted:

I tried to make The People's Elbow without spending wildcards (needs more time), and I kept getting my butt kicked.

I settled on a Mono-U tempo deck (because I do have a lot of those cards): counterspells, bounce cards, maybe some filter cards, Haughty Djinn, and Tolarian Terror.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
If Mono-B had actually ended up getting refined into an ongoing dominant deck instead of just being the one mono list that always goes nuts for a couple weeks after rotation, I think the first card I would want to investigate would not be Sheoldred, but Invoke Despair. Which, like, for 5cmc untargetable removal, feels like a stupid thing to say. Nonetheless, stapling an off-color removal effect (the enchantment sac) to an effortless 3-for-1 leaves me with an impression that something insideously format-warping could have a chance to pass under the intuitive radar, you know? In the abstract, it's easier for me to imagine (with two sets worth of Sagas in the pool, and so forth) the lists that you'd never even find out about because this one card just completely incinerates their gameplan on-tempo than it is for me to imagine that a zero-protection victory timer is loving everyone up by so rudely requiring... Creature removal.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I saw a very annoying mono-red aggro list that seems to be a common netdeck. Anyways I was playing anvil:

Deck
6 Mountain (AKR) 318
2 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
2 Virus Beetle (NEO) 128
4 Experimental Synthesizer (NEO) 138
2 Ziatora's Proving Ground (SNC) 261
2 Goldhound (SNC) 108
4 Voltage Surge (NEO) 171
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
2 Sokenzan Smelter (NEO) 164
4 Oni-Cult Anvil (NEO) 230
2 Ob Nixilis, the Adversary (SNC) 206
4 Sulfurous Springs (DMU) 256
2 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
2 The Cruelty of Gix (DMU) 87
6 Swamp (AKR) 336
1 Weatherlight Compleated (DMU) 242
2 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
1 Braids, Arisen Nightmare (DMU) 84
2 Soul Transfer (NEO) 122
2 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
1 Karn, Living Legacy (DMU) 1

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The 30th Anniversary Edition is $999? What in the poo poo is that pricing.

Edit: Here's the article announcing it. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/celebrate-30-years-magic-gathering-30th-anniversary-edition-2022-10-04

For $1k you get 4 packs of random, non-tournament legal cards. So not even the whole set. Cool?

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 4, 2022

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I would appreciate if someone could take a look at this deck and see if I should change anything around? Deck

The draft is here if anyone is interested. Kind of a weird one where Chaplain went pretty late (pick 5) but walls didn't feel easy to come by.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

qbert posted:

The 30th Anniversary Edition is $999? What in the poo poo is that pricing.

Edit: Here's the article announcing it. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/celebrate-30-years-magic-gathering-30th-anniversary-edition-2022-10-04

For $1k you get 4 packs of random, non-tournament legal cards. So not even the whole set. Cool?

leave that poo poo outta here, this is a beautiful oasis of explorer players and drafters

you can talk about it in the general MTG thread in trad games

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been playing Historic Selesnya life gain and it's extremely fun but I want to branch out to another deck so I don't get bored. Are there any good historic decks that focus on Collective Company? I love this card and never got to use it when it was standard legal so playing it in Historic is great.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rythe posted:

I have been playing Historic Selesnya life gain and it's extremely fun but I want to branch out to another deck so I don't get bored. Are there any good historic decks that focus on Collective Company? I love this card and never got to use it when it was standard legal so playing it in Historic is great.

Merfolk, humans, and angels are all tribes that play well with CoCo.

Gruul aggro plays it sometimes, lists vary more for that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

kalel posted:

leave that poo poo outta here, this is a beautiful oasis of explorer players and drafters

I haven't played paper Magic in so long I didn't even realize there was a separate thread for it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shooting Blanks posted:

I played this to just gently caress around and had fun. I probably would have been more explicitly mono-black but I didn't have the one-drop Phyrexian guy so I just shoved in some more midrangy poo poo and some dragons because dragons are cool (and can get me either my killed-on-sight Sheoldred or some lil weenie guys, depending on the dragon.) Black Knights are handy for making opposing Sheoldreds mildly less obnoxious.

Deck
4 Extract the Truth (SNC) 78
4 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
3 Cut Down (DMU) 89
4 Invoke Despair (NEO) 101
4 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
4 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
4 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
4 Knight of Dusk's Shadow (DMU) 96
2 Junji, the Midnight Sky (NEO) 102
2 Ao, the Dawn Sky (NEO) 2
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
4 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
4 Scoured Barrens (NEO) 274
4 Plains (HBG) 292
12 Swamp (HBG) 300

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

draft #3

After seeing green being wide open early on I fell face first into defenders wingmantle.dec in the third pack. Really makes me wish I would have taken some early vinewalls instead. Any advice on how to build this?

edit: I know this is just bronze/silver but jesus christ lol

Hope I don't have to play against too many of them in future draft games.

Algid fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 5, 2022

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

Merfolk, humans, and angels are all tribes that play well with CoCo.

Gruul aggro plays it sometimes, lists vary more for that.

Heck yeah, thanks for pointing me in a good direction, I appreciate it.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Here's what I used:

Deck
3 Cut Down (DMU) 89
1 Scheming Fence (SNC) 219
2 Make Disappear (SNC) 49
1 Negate (M20) 69
2 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
1 Soul Transfer (NEO) 122
1 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
2 Resolute Reinforcements (DMU) 29
4 Raffine, Scheming Seer (SNC) 213
4 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
4 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
3 Ao, the Dawn Sky (NEO) 2
1 Kaito Shizuki (NEO) 226
1 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
4 Skybridge Towers (SNC) 256
4 Waterfront District (SNC) 259
2 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
2 Obscura Storefront (SNC) 252
1 Phyrexian Missionary (DMU) 27
1 Rona's Vortex (DMU) 63
1 Plains (HBG) 292
1 Island (GRN) 261
2 Swamp (RNA) 262
1 Void Rend (SNC) 230
1 Depopulate (SNC) 10
1 March of Otherworldly Light (NEO) 28
1 Evolved Sleeper (DMU) 93
1 The Raven Man (DMU) 103

It's the Esper Midrange standard deck from mtggoldfish, with minor amendments to swap out the illegal cards for whatever mythics and rares I had on hand that looked good + common taplands instead of the rare slowlands. If you've got painlands use them instead.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

kalel posted:

I really like that this thread actually talks about magic cards and playing games of magic

The trad games thread…. is not good

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Death of Rats posted:

I would appreciate if someone could take a look at this deck and see if I should change anything around? Deck

The draft is here if anyone is interested. Kind of a weird one where Chaplain went pretty late (pick 5) but walls didn't feel easy to come by.

You could add a swamp and splash for tribute to urborg, probably cut a shore up because there's only two creatures you're interested in protecting.

Either that cut the black entirely and play all untapped lands, I don't think kicking your one copy of sleeper is worth risking mana stumbles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Algid posted:

How do you mirror that effect at all? Unless you mean it's the exact same anthem effect as her old card except with domain on both sides?

no, i mean "creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 for each basic land type your opponents control"

Elesh Norn seems all about mono color purity

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Buff/debuff was already done by the first card, I think this one will be something to do with taxing/discounting

"Artifact spells and creature spells you cast cost {1} less to cast. Nonartifact, noncreature spells your opponents cast cost {1} more to cast."

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

little munchkin posted:

You could add a swamp and splash for tribute to urborg, probably cut a shore up because there's only two creatures you're interested in protecting.

Either that cut the black entirely and play all untapped lands, I don't think kicking your one copy of sleeper is worth risking mana stumbles.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably take the Tribute plan as I don't think the second Shore Up is anywhere near as useful.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I got sick of aggro decks and built this:

code:
Deck
14 Plains (DMU) 277
4 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
4 Citizen's Arrest (DMU) 11
2 Anointed Peacekeeper (DMU) 2
4 Phyrexian Missionary (DMU) 27
4 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
2 Cloudsteel Kirin (NEO) 8
4 Inspiring Overseer (SNC) 18
3 Serra Paragon (DMU) 32
1 Archangel of Wrath (DMU) 3
1 Kyodai, Soul of Kamigawa (NEO) 23
3 Depopulate (SNC) 10
2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
4 Temporary Lockdown (DMU) 36
4 Scoured Barrens (NEO) 274
4 Sunlit Marsh (DMU) 257
It's not particularly clever and there are some dodgy choices, but it absolutely ruins anyone who plays turn 1 kumano.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

90% of standard mono white midrange is from SNC, so I took that and made a few substitutions

quote:

Deck
2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Roadside Reliquary (NEO) 272
20 Plains (RTR) 250
3 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
3 Resolute Reinforcements (DMU) 29
4 Raffine's Informant (SNC) 26
3 Argivian Cavalier (DMU) 4
4 The Restoration of Eiganjo (NEO) 34
3 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
3 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
3 Invoke Justice (NEO) 21
4 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
1 March of Otherworldly Light (NEO) 28
3 Banishing Slash (NEO) 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Alchemy changes, some tweaks to SNC cards that likely won't matter for constructed, but they're also doing flashback SNC draft using the tweaked cards (and maybe the alchemy cards too?) in a week. Also the nerfed cards that just rotated out of Standard (Luminarch, Faceless Haven, Goldspan, etc) get un-nerfed for Historic. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/alchemy-rebalancing-october-6-2022

I think this is the full spoiler for the DMU alchemy cards?
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/alchemy-dominaria