Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

that's the same system they use for sorting and aligning hot dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbdQaFg8m0

Goddamn that is some good music for a hot dog machine video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fine music for any vider dealing in floppy tubes of meat.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

that's the same system they use for sorting and aligning hot dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbdQaFg8m0

or you can alternately use a vibratory conveyor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NpZsTQ00oY

or you can go extra and use the vibratory system plus some delta robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPTd8XDZOEk

Give me the SAUSAGE LOADER

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Give this person the Nobel Prize in engineering.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coldpudding posted:

It's funny when you think about how it takes a factory to build the parts for another factory to build the parts for another factory and so on, basically factories all the way to down to some dude digging dirt out of the ground.

I can imagine that even if you had all our current knowledge it would still take a good chunk of a millennium to reach our current level of technology if you had to start again from scratch.

It is now impossible to reach our current level of technology starting again from scratch, because we've already consumed all of the easily accessible deposits of raw materials.

When people first started using copper, you just built a fire next to some rocks and the copper would melt and run out onto the ground. You could pick up gold nuggets the size of marbles from streambeds in California. All those metals are now used up. You can't have a bronze age if there's no copper or tin on the surface of the planet anymore.

You could not have the industrial revolution again today, simply because we've used up all of the coal that can be mined with pre-industrial technology. Without an easily accessible source of dense energy, nothing happens.

Oh, and coal isn't coming back, either -- not even in 500 million years. Coal is a product of the Carboniferous period, when trees had evolved lignin but bacteria hadn't evolved a way of decomposing it, so dead trees just piled up like rocks for millions of years. This pulled massive amounts of carbon out of the atmosphere, and eventually the geological processes turned the trees into coal. Contemporary bacteria and fungi decompose dead trees and return their carbon to the cycle too quickly for that process to happen. Our industrial revolution was a one-time thing :eng101:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 5, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sagebrush posted:

you just built a fire next to some rocks E-waste and the copper would melt and run out onto the ground.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Old prospector jumping up and down hooting and hollering after hitting a rich microplastics vein.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

There's a fairly compelling argument well be mining old landfill sites for rate earth metals in the next couple of decades.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crosspost from schadenfreude thread, with sound

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sagebrush posted:

It is now impossible to reach our current level of technology starting again from scratch, because we've already consumed all of the easily accessible deposits of raw materials.

When people first started using copper, you just built a fire next to some rocks and the copper would melt and run out onto the ground. You could pick up gold nuggets the size of marbles from streambeds in California. All those metals are now used up. You can't have a bronze age if there's no copper or tin on the surface of the planet anymore.

You could not have the industrial revolution again today, simply because we've used up all of the coal that can be mined with pre-industrial technology. Without an easily accessible source of dense energy, nothing happens.

Oh, and coal isn't coming back, either -- not even in 500 million years. Coal is a product of the Carboniferous period, when trees had evolved lignin but bacteria hadn't evolved a way of decomposing it, so dead trees just piled up like rocks for millions of years. This pulled massive amounts of carbon out of the atmosphere, and eventually the geological processes turned the trees into coal. Contemporary bacteria and fungi decompose dead trees and return their carbon to the cycle too quickly for that process to happen. Our industrial revolution was a one-time thing :eng101:

I think even in the worst case scenario where everything that has ever been mined is gone somehow without leaving any trace it ever existed, you'd still be able to cobble together enough conductive metal (doesn't even need to be copper) to build a big but lovely electric generator and lovely arc furnace to help bootstrap the rest of the process and skip coal entirely.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I think even in the worst case scenario where everything that has ever been mined is gone somehow without leaving any trace it ever existed, you'd still be able to cobble together enough conductive metal (doesn't even need to be copper) to build a big but lovely electric generator and lovely arc furnace to help bootstrap the rest of the process and skip coal entirely.

A couple million years of asteroid bombardment will replenish us with everything we need.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mobby_6kl posted:

This looks like the bogosort of industrial processes

https://i.imgur.com/j4Q6tyS.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bcvCUILOI
guess what happens when it doesn't run right and people keep putting stoppers in it

or better yet when they don't use silicone because it damages the product so all the stoppers stick together

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

AzureSkys posted:

A truly terrifying Lawnmower Man clip for this October season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHzmSjvtyp8

Zero Turn mowers are really good at many things, but keep them away from hills. If a single wheel loses traction, its going to turn downhill. All the weight is in the back to the point that you can usually pick the front up with one hand, so mowing uphill can flip the whole thing over. "But what if I put ballast in the front to balance it?" Well, now it wants to turn downhill even more and if you point it uphill its less likely to flip but now you're going uphill in a heavier vehicle. Mowing downhill is safe enough, I guess?

Tractors are also dangerous on hills, but they at least work a little better.

Should probably just cut hills like that with a walk-behind or a string trimmer to be honest.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sammus posted:

That ration looks dope as gently caress. Chocolate, instant noodles, and booze. It’s just like college!

I just wish the radioactive heater was real, I would absolutely buy one of those.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MrQwerty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bcvCUILOI
guess what happens when it doesn't run right and people keep putting stoppers in it

or better yet when they don't use silicone because it damages the product so all the stoppers stick together

I'm sure they're just testing/demonstrating the machine here, but the thought of getting all the stoppers lined up just to dump them in a box is funny to me.

I was already thinking the pipe staircase would be perfect for the middle of a cartoon from the 40s showing a pipe getting cut into sections that are then shipped to another factory to be sorted and then welded back into a continuous pipe.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cat Hatter posted:

What are you using the spin the generator?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm sure they're just testing/demonstrating the machine here, but the thought of getting all the stoppers lined up just to dump them in a box is funny to me.

I was already thinking the pipe staircase would be perfect for the middle of a cartoon from the 40s showing a pipe getting cut into sections that are then shipped to another factory to be sorted and then welded back into a continuous pipe.

they run onto a chain head, at least the ones I worked on, and then cork the vial.

Unless it's set up wrong, then the lip of the vial is too high for the stopperhead and it chips it, then the inspector starts seeing chips an hour into the fill and all the chemo drugs you filled are sus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phanatic posted:

There will presumably still be wind and flowing water

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Slaves.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Why are you all making me not look forward to the upcoming apocalypse?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Drone_Fragger posted:

There's a fairly compelling argument well be mining old landfill sites for rate earth metals in the next couple of decades.

I'm kind of surprised it's not already a thing; there's got to be some metal where the minimum economical ore enrichment and the levels in average garbage are approaching each other.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Suburbs as we know them were largely invented by rail and streetcar companies. Automobile ownership continued a preexisting trend.

Urban sprawl and cookie cutter, featureless exurbs suck but blaming the car for all of it is revisionist history.

FTFY

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Computer viking posted:

I'm kind of surprised it's not already a thing; there's got to be some metal where the minimum economical ore enrichment and the levels in average garbage are approaching each other.

You know what they say: "If you can think of it, it existssomebody is loving a landfill right now."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, seems like this is the typical method of aligning various widgets.

https://i.imgur.com/QvzncP1.mp4

I've never been in any sort of mass production environment so this poo poo is fascinating

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Computer viking posted:

That’s why other countries purchase the good poo poo (e waste) and break it down for us. Gold, silver, maybe platinum I donno. If you live in the poorer parts of the world it’s totally economically advantageous to burn America’s garbage in big open air pits then pick out the shinny parts.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

But enough about your mom.

mobby_6kl posted:

I've never been in any sort of mass production environment so this poo poo is fascinating

But enough about your okay okay jeeze

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sammus posted:

That’s why other countries purchase the good poo poo (e waste) and break it down for us. Gold, silver, maybe platinum I donno. If you live in the poorer parts of the world it’s totally economically advantageous to burn America’s garbage in big open air pits then pick out the shinny parts.

Ok, yeah, that's a fair point. It's kind of the "you can make a living panning for gold" level of garbage mining, though; I guess we'll get to the strip mining stage later. :)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mobby_6kl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/QvzncP1.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdKtvPtG4g
This is pretty similar to the line I worked on, except mine was much more... low budget, floor-model lemon Bosch and way more intimate, a machine surrounded by RABS in a room rather than a room built around a machine.
The stoppers are shaped big and weird and only go in halfway because they are going into a lyo, and that was how the plant I worked at did most of their volume, cuz freeze drying injectable drugs is the way to go if you can.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

A couple million years of asteroid bombardment will replenish us with everything we need.

What you're saying is we need another heavy bombardment period to refill the stocks

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

ilmucche posted:

What you're saying is we need another heavy bombardment period to refill the stocks

Crust could use a good freshen-up

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Phanatic posted:

Whatever you want. In addition to the waterwheels, windmills, and slaves* already mentioned you could build a lovely steam engine powered by wood or whatever else you can find that burns. Bonus is that you now have distilled water too.

None of this needs to work super efficiently, just good enough to start building better tools and machines so we can start mining again. You know, assuming the wizard who erased all evidence of human existence was also enough of a dick to fill in all the open pit mines.

*I only just considered that the Citadel in Fury Road probably gets a lot of wind across the top of the plateaus, but Immortan Joe powered his pumps and pulleys with a bunch of kids on a treadmill. I'm starting to think this warlord is a bit of a jerk!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Coal is a product of the Carboniferous period, when trees had evolved lignin but bacteria hadn't evolved a way of decomposing it, so dead trees just piled up like rocks for millions of years.
That must have been an amazing sight. It's hard to imagine the sheer amount of buildup.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Spatial posted:

That must have been an amazing sight. It's hard to imagine the sheer amount of buildup.

35% of the atmosphere was Oxygen back then, compared to 21% today, so there were lots of fires to get rid of the dead wood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while you were photosynthesizing, I studied the blade

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

Coal isn't coming back. What about oil? It's mostly made from dead algae and plankton is it not? Is there poo poo that breaks it down before it can be buried at the bottom of the sea and turn into oil in a billion years?

I know of a few places that use methane collected from old landfills to power stuff/ generate electricity but if we start mining landfills, that's going to release a while shitload of that poo poo unless we can can contain it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

What does peat turn into if you leave a bog alone for a million years? "Old peat"?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Computer viking posted:

What does peat turn into if you leave a bog alone for a million years? "Old peat"?

Old peat definitely spends a lot of time in the bog but I mean give him a break, those prunes do a number.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Computer viking posted:

Repeat

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's hard to draw conclusions about what you need for an industrial revolution because unlike the development of agriculture, it's only happened once in the entirety of human history. But you can kinda make some guesses, based on comparing it to all the other places in history that didn't start industrialising.

In order to really kick off, you need a way for the worst, shittiest possible mechanical engine, built by someone who knows absolutely nothing about engine-building, to still be economically viable. In our history, this happened because the British clearcut the forests on their entire island and had to start using coal for heat, and then they mined all the surface coal and had to start digging it out of the ground, and then they needed some way to deal with pumping water out of an underground mine at exactly the same place coal was the cheapest (because you were right at the coal mine, it didn't have to be transported anywhere).

If a lovely engine is economically viable somewhere, then it can get used, and people can figure out how to make it better and more profitable (in terms of energy output for fuel input). Eventually they improve it to the point where it's worthwhile building an engine elsewhere for some other industry and transporting coal in to fuel it, and then your whole industrialization process is well under way.