Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
"I actually enjoy it now" about the whole circus regarding dead children.

What a loving ghoul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
LMAO, Here's alex jones LAST WEEK: The trial is rigged, the whole thing is fake, it's synthetic as hell.

LMAO

Now the jury is adjourned.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Annnnnnd there it is.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

OH Pattis, a motion to dismiss? Really?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah I assume Jones hid his money with the same level of ability he brings to everything else. A half-assed attempt he thinks is genius.

When you surround yourself with morons, every move you make is genius

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

OneMoreTime posted:

Every defense attorney does this at least once during the trial, it's like a "welp, hail mary toss"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Every defense attorney does this at least once during the trial, it's like a "welp, hail mary toss"

maybe jones can pull off jury nullification since everything is the matrix, esp if you're drunk as poo poo constantly.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OneMoreTime posted:

Can't appeal up a motion you didn't make at trial

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
People like Trump and Alex Jones don't have a rock bottom, just a constant descent dragging everyone in the vicinity down like a brick on a rubber sheet.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Was Norm’s first argument complete bullshit, or is there possibly something there to limit damages?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Was Norm’s first argument complete bullshit, or is there possibly something there to limit damages?

Seems bullshit

https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1577677532014514184
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1577678034294947848

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Stream back on.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

pseudanonymous posted:

Alcoholism is it’s own whole complicated thing that causes lots of weird or irrational behavior. The denial is real.

Yeah, when I was at my worst with alcoholism, I would just drive down the road while drinking. I had to have a drink at all times. I would keep alcohol in my car at all times. Go out to the car to drink while at the club. Even though there was alcohol inside and I drank on the way to the club. Really sick stuff.

thecluckmeme posted:

Liquor shits

I went months at a time without having a solid poo poo. It was really bad. I only share this so that maybe people can understand what severe alcoholism looks like and maybe it might help someone.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Soto Vs. Bushmaster is why the CUTPA charge here for no capped damages is exactly why this insanity should be uncapped damages. Catastrophic psychological losses, and the jury saw it all.

I'm glad Mattei came back for this, because the plaintiffs had some issues convincing the judge yesterday after he left. But this is going to end a lot different.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So are they wrapping up?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Alex must have a driver right?

I mean he has his team of bodyguards he can't seem to be seen in public without.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

goatface posted:

So are they wrapping up?

Yes, rest of day is housekeeping and hearing of motions, and tomorrow will be closing arguments and jury taking up deliberations.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
"First of all, the jury should be entitled to know what the charge and what they are doing is."

And Norm just laughs it off and tries to bitch about "what would be the harm in, you know, letting the jury know the truth?"

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Alex must have a driver right?

I mean he has his team of bodyguards he can't seem to be seen in public without.

What does your heart tell you?

Drinking and driving culture in Texas is very hosed up. There is very no public transport so you must drive to wherever you go to drink.

It’s gotten better with Uber, but even up until a few years ago when I quit drinking, “Get home safe” or “Text me when you get home” were the 2 most common goodbyes I heard leaving the bar.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Yeah, lots of people would tell me, "be safe and message me when you get home" instead of, "you're not loving driving anywhere like that".

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Yeah, lots of people would tell me, "be safe and message me when you get home" instead of, "you're not loving driving anywhere like that".

Yeah, in hindsight that is a really dumb thing to say to someone who is obviously too drunk to drive. I've said it numerous times :-/

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I'm not reading this thread for the drunk driving in Texas talk but now I'm here because I'm relating to the drunk driving in Texas talk. That state taught me a lot about driving drunk because I literally had no other choice and that's not a compliment or a bragging statement. gently caress driving drunk and gently caress driving drunk in Texas.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Pattis trying to say the Plaintiffs didn't suffer emotional psychological harm is quite insane

EDIT: And Judge Bellis also seems to think that's crazy

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
...this latest line of argument by Pattis reminds me - was there anything that came up as a result of that show-cause hearing before this trial started? You know, seeing as how the CT plaintiffs' medical records were included on the phone copy Bankston received?

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

OneMoreTime posted:

Pattis trying to say the Plaintiffs didn't suffer emotional psychological harm is quite insane

EDIT: And Judge Bellis also seems to think that's crazy

Especially considering Jones' cell phone leak had the psych records for this set of plaintiffs WHILE HE WAS IN TEXAS.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Rampant Dwickery posted:

...this latest line of argument by Pattis reminds me - was there anything that came up as a result of that show-cause hearing before this trial started? You know, seeing as how the CT plaintiffs' medical records were included on the phone copy Bankston received?

My understanding is that arguments were heard, but no decision until after the trial.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

is there like a ballpark figure on how much they're gonna hit jones up for after all this? 100 million? 300 million?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

OneMoreTime posted:

My understanding is that arguments were heard, but no decision until after the trial.

This is correct. The judge will issue rulings based on outstanding motions post trial.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

is there like a ballpark figure on how much they're gonna hit jones up for after all this? 100 million? 300 million?

Yes

No number, just yes. :sickos:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Judge Bellis is starting her deep sighs again, feels like it's been a good week but it's clear that Pattis is getting on her nerves again.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pattis being a contrarian dick about every single sentence in the jury charge.

LifeSunDeath posted:

E: I think they’re going to wait until the closing argument for a definite number, or at least an equation for the jury to use. I’m hoping at least 500 million.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 5, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I always love it when pattis says something he thinks is funny and it's always met with either silence or with uncomfortable polite laughter.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

I always love it when pattis says something he thinks is funny and it's always met with either silence or with uncomfortable polite laughter.

Strap in for this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5reSvkQq7k

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Jones not testifying just struck me with something I'd been thinking of on an adjacent note: UFO Conspiracy Buffs.

The guys who will go full in on talking to every reporter and researcher and author doing something on Roswell, alien bodies, UFO tech, etc. They'll spill how they've seen all sorts of stuff, all sorts of stuff, just talking about it will get them killed, government men said if they'd ever talked about it that they'd have their entire families killed, it's all top secret, the way they found the aliens and the autopsies, and the stolen tech that we built the stealth jets on, they have whole legions of fellow spec ops guys who want to talk about it, too, but oh, how they want to tell the story! They just can't tell anyone...

When an author gave one an opportunity to talk about it in open court/congressional investigation with support from lawmakers: Nope, can't say a word. Too dangerous, we took our top secret oath too seriously, it's too big...

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Who's doing the best coverage of Jones on legal Twitter? I can get the relentless dunking on him all sorts of places, but it'd be nice to have some clear-eyed, cogent analysis of likely outcomes and the implications of the decisions being handed down.

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I'm not reading this thread for the drunk driving in Texas talk but now I'm here because I'm relating to the drunk driving in Texas talk. That state taught me a lot about driving drunk because I literally had no other choice and that's not a compliment or a bragging statement. gently caress driving drunk and gently caress driving drunk in Texas.

You always have another choice than to drive drunk, OP. If the choice is between driving drunk and not drinking, you can decline to drink, so that you don't become a menace to others. If someone holds you down and forces you to consume alcohol, you can sleep it off in your car on the side of the road and accept the risk of the cops showing up as simply being the consequences of your actions.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Kestral posted:

Who's doing the best coverage of Jones on legal Twitter? I can get the relentless dunking on him all sorts of places, but it'd be nice to have some clear-eyed, cogent analysis of likely outcomes and the implications of the decisions being handed down.

You always have another choice than to drive drunk, OP. If the choice is between driving drunk and not drinking, you can decline to drink, so that you don't become a menace to others. If someone holds you down and forces you to consume alcohol, you can sleep it off in your car on the side of the road and accept the risk of the cops showing up as simply being the consequences of your actions.

For this trial? I've been primarily following Elizabeth Williamson, a reporter from the New York Times (https://twitter.com/NYTLiz). She seems to be the most detached, although she did also write a book about Sandy Hook and has been on Knowledge Fight, so she's not necessarily completely unbiased. That being said, she seems to be the most black-and-white reporting on this particular trial.

For more nitty-gritty info about the law going on in the trial, Morgan Stringer has been pretty good as well (https://twitter.com/MoString). She does tend to dunk on Jones quite a bit but does get into the implications of what's being discussed really well. Her info on why they're arguing the various charges and why its important was really nice, for instance.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Kestral posted:

Having started the conversation on this, I want to highlight that the pervasiveness of our drunk driving culture is unlike others I have experienced.
  • Bartenders will serve you endlessly so long as you keep your head up and remain responsive and will not ask about how you're getting home.

• Your friends will offer to follow you home to ensure you get there, as though that makes the enterprise safer.

• Intervention from bar staff and patrons was often limited to people that literally could not stand up.
None of this removes an ounce of personal responsibility but may provide context to others' experiences.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Kestral posted:

If the choice is between driving drunk and not drinking, you can decline to drink, so that you don't become a menace to others. If someone holds you down and forces you to consume alcohol, you can sleep it off in your car on the side of the road and accept the risk of the cops showing up as simply being the consequences of your actions.

I take responsibility for all my actions and I have and am dealing with the consequences. As for everyone else that exists in the world, promoting harm reduction is what will result in the least loss of life and injury. Just like clean needle exchange and safe injection sites prevent overdose and the spread of disease, better public transportation infrastructure will prevent a lot of drunk driving casualties.

The cultural acceptance of binge drinking needs to be changed as well. I just went to on Oregon Ducks game and even though we purchased seats in the "alcohol free" section, there were just as many people drinking around us as when we'd previously sat in the general seating. We walked onto the field after the game and when we exited through the student seating which is supposed to be the most strictly controlled "alcohol free seating", it was littered with empty alcohol bottles.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 5, 2022

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I take responsibility for nothing, it’s society’s fault I’m the way I am.

I guess my parents to a lesser extent also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Blame God. If you have to thank him for the good poo poo, you can blame him for the bad.