Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Large Son Over Drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Because what the world really needs now is another overdrive.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 1, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Large Son is more than an overdrive, it's also a weird thing you can mention when someone tries to criticize you and you can point at it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Automatic Slim posted:

Because the what the world really needs now is another overdrive.

I can't wait for all the reviews that say it adds overdrive and EQ while paradoxically keeping your guitar's natural tone. Also that it magically overdrives less as you roll down your volume control.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

ahem, you forgot "transparent"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chrpno posted:

ahem, you forgot "transparent"

simultaneously 'transparent' and 'musical'

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Remulak posted:

Shoulda called it Pence.

Nah that's this module:

NSFW text
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAz033nsl0g/

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Spotted this in the wild. Obscure 60's band The Beatles, tragically underrated.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:goofy:

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Stolen from the guitarpedals subreddit, the best AliExpress Klon KTR:

quote:

Description:
After half a year's hard work, the overloaded effect device cloned by the studio finally met with the brothers. Of course, this time it still follows the studio's consistent style, the original clone, the original clone.

In fact, everyone should know about this equipment, but I will still introduce this equipment in a few words here. This equipment belongs to the mass-produced centaurs designed by the old man, and of course belongs to the authentic blood of the serious centaurs. From the selection of original parts, the appearance The design and the characteristics of the timbre are definitely the best choice for brothers who want the timbre of the people!

The original cloned red horse in our studio is absolutely guaranteed. The device, appearance, function, and the most important tone are almost the same as the original red horse. The tone can reach about 98% of the original. You can compare with the original! This device must be powered by 9V inside negative and outside positive. Never try other voltages.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Markov chain: the pedal

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

homewrecker posted:

Stolen from the guitarpedals subreddit, the best AliExpress Klon KTR:

this was my previous favorite but I think yours wins (also I'm worried looking closer that mine doesn't actually say "Mosky Horse Pedal" on the case...)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

JamesKPolk posted:

this was my previous favorite but I think yours wins (also I'm worried looking closer that mine doesn't actually say "Mosky Horse Pedal" on the case...)

That’s ok

it doesn’t look like any of that text is printed on the red pedal either

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DrChu posted:

This thing showed up when I checked FB Marketplace earlier today.
https://axeeze.com/

Instead of buying a better strap why don't you slide this thing onto your guitar, making the upper horn look like it has an infection.

How effective is this?

Constantly needs to be readjusted while playing, how convenient.

Besides there really being no way to convince me this thing won't just slip off and break your set neck guitar on the floor, can you not just fit a strap button on the back of the horn? I've seen it in non-Gibson counterparts. Or yeah just get a strap that won't move on your shoudler.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’ve been building this stupid music poo poo over in the bass mega thread because I’ve got a good P and J bass, and the stock pickups sounded like hot garbage as a passive bass.

1972 Greco body and pickups, routed to accept Fender necks.
1989 Squier Korean neck and P-pickup
Darkglass tone capsule.
Battery box on the backside.

Figured I might as well have a little fun with this one.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

JamesKPolk posted:

is that supposed to be soundwaves or woodgrain?

soundgrain. in other words, "tonewood"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Besides there really being no way to convince me this thing won't just slip off and break your set neck guitar on the floor, can you not just fit a strap button on the back of the horn? I've seen it in non-Gibson counterparts. Or yeah just get a strap that won't move on your shoudler.

Screw a hole in MY guitar? My beautiful pure vintage nestegg investment?

Nah I'd rather just trust that kind of thing to a little rubber grip that's supposed to work on I guess some squeezing friction alone, thankyouverymuch.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 17, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Screws a hole in MY guitar? My beautiful pure vintage nestegg investment?

Nah I'd rather just trust that kind of thing to a little rubber grip that's supposed to work on I guess some squeezing friction alone, thankyouverymuch.

If you're playing an investment guitar in the first place, you're doing the wrong thing* the wrong way** anyway.

*Guitars are meant to be played, but collected.

**But if you are collecting them, you shouldn't be playing them and risk damage.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I kind of like it. A tasteful execution of a stupid idea.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

All of the artificial watermelon flavored candy I ate as a kid just flooded some weird nostalgic part of my mouth and I want that guitar.

And candy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

It’s perfect!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I love it

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Goofy as hell but it rules. Totally in the spirit of the thread

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

maybe some vines on the neck

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Who does this guitar belong to? Clue, think big names here.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 23, 2022

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It was a custom order for some TGP nerd and then the luthier rang him and said "Yeah, we're giving this to Johnny Depp instead". TGP nerd madposted making GBS threads on the luthier ('Johnny Depp Stole My Guitar!' ) then deleted his thread; is now very puzzled as to why anybody wants bring it up when the luthier is mentioned despite being the one kicking off.

That place has been getting better but still sucks.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
If I custom ordered an instrument and Johnny Depp decided it was exactly what he wanted I would spend the rest of my life questioning every single decision I'd ever made.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Jonny Depp was never technically a member of Aerosmith, right?

kare
Mar 19, 2002

mweber posted:

Jonny Depp was never technically a member of Aerosmith, right?

He is, as an honorary member. He's one of the scarves.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Kingo Ligma posted:

If I custom ordered an instrument and Johnny Depp decided it was exactly what he wanted I would spend the rest of my life questioning every single decision I'd ever made.

Funniest bit is Depp had nothing to do with it; the luthier just decided to cancel the order so he could turn up in his dressing room and give him this rando guitar. Depp went "Yeah nice one" then chucked it on the pile of other free guitars people give him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

yeah to his credit at least it was never a commission but there is video of him using it on stage.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
"Never Fear Truth."

That's just... like... so deep, man. So deep.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

It was a custom order for some TGP nerd and then the luthier rang him and said "Yeah, we're giving this to Johnny Depp instead". TGP nerd madposted making GBS threads on the luthier ('Johnny Depp Stole My Guitar!' ) then deleted his thread; is now very puzzled as to why anybody wants bring it up when the luthier is mentioned despite being the one kicking off.

That place has been getting better but still sucks.

this post made me say "why?" after every half sentence

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Posting my stupid in my thread:

A few hours ago I watched Steve Vai play Teeth of The Hydra, on the Hydra, from 12 feet away with about 30 other people. I poo poo you not my favorite turd, regardless of my level of fan-boi-ism (I don't listen to anything after Skyscraper, typically) it was an experience moving enough to almost call religious. At least, it was too goddamn cool for my vocabulary right now.

He can really play that whole song as on the video and he broke down mechanics for us: playing the top rhythm neck, palming the pick, fretting the bass, muting the bass, un-palming the pick, and playing a melody on the middle seven-string neck, all while triggering samples and raking his small harp and in the space of about two measures. The video is great, but nothing at all like seeing him actually do it. And the whole band joined in. It was loving epic. There was no crowd there to soak up the PA, either.

I am sorry, perhaps I have the vapors. (Dude was so loving chill during the Q&A and soundcheck was loving awesome. He spent five minutes just going over an intro for the drummer with his digiridoo and Stee wanted him to add more parts. "Quality" parts, lol. It wasn't a douchey scene, he was just band directing. It was amazing to watch.

Buncha other Jordies hanging out up front and a tech on the Hydra.

Me camping out with my "swag bag" and my JEM. Earplugs were in the bag. It was scary, having that instrument just out like that. I was happy to watch from the mid area after the Q&A was over and the pictures/signings were done. Sound-check was amazing. They did Candle Power and one I didn't know the name of, then spent a little time working out The Immigrant song together. Really! They played a couple other things, too; and the drummer played stump the audience.

So I ask Vai to sign her. We have a short conversation about that model and it was so ... nice. And as he's writing this he is gently advising how important it is that I cover this up so it doesn't rub off.

...and then, without asking, he switches to a black marker and puts something on the back of my headstock so it won't wear off.

The dude was pure 100% class. And when he played, he delivered. It was like watching Joe Satriani. That was just soundcheck. I didn't stay for the whole concert. I got my swag and my loving $40 shirt, and I should be able to download my pictures with Steve in the next few days or a week or something.

A+++++++++++++ would recommend to anyone.

P.S. - Just found all the picks in the bag, they are in a metal tin and they are various styles and all with their own graphics.

P.P.S. - The other Jordies in the crowd actually asked good questions, too. One was from an aspiring sitarist asking if he should start on a Coral or the real thing (lol, kinda.) Still, got a long, in-depth answer, and several others as well.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 25, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Wait I thought this was the stupid music poo poo thread, not the loving awesome music poo poo thread.

Congrats dude, what a rare and cool time that must have been.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I can't be mad at anyone who's happy just being a massive dork. Elder statesman rawk wizard Vai is A OK

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Vai just seems like a super cool guy, and I'm glad to hear he's like that in person too. I don't like his music particularly much, but I definitely like him as a person and musician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Vai is super intelligent and educated and an amazingly impressive musician. His music isn't really my bag, but drat I respect the dude. I feel like we'd have a rad time talking nerdy guitar poo poo and also dude probably has the best theorycraft builds for TTRPGs. Just a hunch.