Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/1577062563929415680?t=5GlNHWwVIrC5LxYzq_bNzg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How does one get accidentally beaten to death? I mean it's clearly not an accident but I really am curious about the defense there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

How does one get accidentally beaten to death? I mean it's clearly not an accident but I really am curious about the defense there.

'he was playing an uncooperative perp and wasn't cooperating'

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how is being beaten a training exercise

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Brawnfire posted:

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

So he became weaker

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The other people get experience beating someone to death, very useful for cops.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The other cops were training on how to stop a protest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The training was for the rest of the department, so that they could learn what happens to snitches.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Sorry if this is too personal. I'm just really freaked out right now, and it's unnerving to me at least.

A couple of months ago I was on a bus. A drunk dude got angry because I didn't respond to him "flirting" with me (yelling obscene things at me and physically intimidating me), so he pushed me as I was getting off the bus right in front of my home. It hosed up my already hosed knee, so I had to be on crutches for a while. But the mental aspect of it was way worse. I've had some "bad experiences" and I already have very bad social anxiety, bordering on agoraphobia, so leaving my home was extra difficult for some time. I literally tried to eat and drink as little as possible so that I could ration toilet paper. But I slowly got better. Lol At least I was able to drink water and go out to buy toilet paper.

Yesterday, I was out drinking with some friends. I was a bit drunk on the way home and it was very dark outside. So of course I accidentally got off a stop too early. Still close to home though. As I walk home for what was supposed to be a 2 minute walk, I hear someone running up behind me. I feel two hands on my upper back/shoulders. I didn't even have time to react. I got pushed into the road, head first, straight into the asphalt. I could "feel" my teeth and gums. I'm pretty sure that I passed out for a bit. I hate the thought of me laying there in the dark in a spot with no street lights. I'm constantly imagining my head getting squished by a tire. Crushing and exploding like a gross watermelon. I hate the thought that strangers want to hurt me for no reason. I just want to be left alone. Even if I wanted to go outside, I can't right now because my knee is super hosed up again. My bed is on a loft so I was unable to climb the ladder to my bed. I slept on a yoga mat and covered myself with some coats. Mentally, right now, I have lost what little need I felt to ever go outside again. Why did that person feel the need to do that? I just wanted to get home man...

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sorry hear all that happened to you. People are assholes.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I'm so very, very sorry this happened to you! Do you need a friendly ear? Feel free to PM me if you want to talk to someone who has been there and knows what you are going through. I really mean this, if I can help in any way, let me know!

Please don't blame yourself in any way!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm really sorry that happened to you and I'm glad no cars came by. There's no reason for anyone to do that to you, I hope sharing it helped.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Sarcopenia posted:

Sorry if this is too personal. I'm just really freaked out right now, and it's unnerving to me at least.

It took real courage to share that; thank you for letting us know what happened.

It’s going to be easy to slide in to a mindset of “humanity is monstrous and I’d rather stay in my nice safe nest” and once you’ve had time to recover I hope you find a way to not slide down in that direction. Maybe check out from this thread for a bit and stick to the Cute & Uplifting Thread. If you need help finding or affording telehealth counseling, add me to the list of people who value your existence enough to assist as needed.

None of what happened was in your power to prevent. Just let yourself heal by focusing on the good parts of life.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I can't make you feel better or more secure, but I would like to help. I'm sorry someone did that poo poo.

Do you know the address where it happened? Maybe someone like a business or something had a door camera that caught it, perhaps a lead from there to get the bastard?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Maybe some self defense classes, not being a jerk, maybe some training might give you a bit more confidence in dealing with the bullshit outside world?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

a sexual elk posted:

Maybe some self defense classes, not being a jerk, maybe some training might give you a bit more confidence in dealing with the bullshit outside world?

Que

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I believe the intent was “I am not trying to be a jerk in giving this advice,” not “OP was being a jerk.”

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
You're all so loving nice. Like it's weird how this thread is one of the nicest and most empathetic threads I've been part of on SA,.
I feel a lot better now. I'm not as bad off as I thought. Sprained ancle, sprained wrist and a weird looking but harmless dot in my eye. Luckily I don't think that I have a concussion but I will be watching out for signs of later symptoms.
As for surveillance, sadly it's a very industrial area with buildings far from any "sidewalks" (shared roads for bikes, pedestrians and scooters). They don't have a lot of streetlights and they are placed very far from any foot traffic. It's not permitted to film public areas unless it's related to your business so I doubt that there is any film. But! There is a lot of building activity in the area, so I'm hoping that a building site nearby will have some footage of the person running by after the fact. I've sent an email to the company asking for info. Not expecting much. I have bad experiences with police so I really do not wish to go to them at all.

And I have thought about self-defence as a confidence booster, but the problem is that I already have a hard time with people and going outside, and I can't really afford private lessons. :(

The thing that worries and disturbs me a lot is that a couple of months ago, a drunk dude sexually harassed me on a bus and he pushed me and sprained my ankle as I was getting out. I'm very scared that this is the same man who recognized me. I'm easy to recognize so it's a possibility. I just really hope that I'm wrong. I did not see the person. Just hear them approach, feel them push me and hear them run away.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Given the method, I think it's pretty likely to be a totally random attack. Not sure if that's better or not.

EDIT: The eye dot is probably a burst blood vessel if it's red? In which case I'm pretty sure it's harmless.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Autistic guy in Florida has enough of his overbearing mother, flees the state to go live with friends in Chicago. Mother proceeds to declare him a missing person and gets a (temporary) guardianship on him.

Also the mother thinks that he was kidnapped by a gang of organ trafficking trans people.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article266012206.html

The ease with which abusive parents can get guardianships is absolutely terrifying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sarcopenia posted:

You're all so loving nice. Like it's weird how this thread is one of the nicest and most empathetic threads I've been part of on SA,.
I feel a lot better now. I'm not as bad off as I thought. Sprained ancle, sprained wrist and a weird looking but harmless dot in my eye. Luckily I don't think that I have a concussion but I will be watching out for signs of later symptoms.
As for surveillance, sadly it's a very industrial area with buildings far from any "sidewalks" (shared roads for bikes, pedestrians and scooters). They don't have a lot of streetlights and they are placed very far from any foot traffic. It's not permitted to film public areas unless it's related to your business so I doubt that there is any film. But! There is a lot of building activity in the area, so I'm hoping that a building site nearby will have some footage of the person running by after the fact. I've sent an email to the company asking for info. Not expecting much. I have bad experiences with police so I really do not wish to go to them at all.

And I have thought about self-defence as a confidence booster, but the problem is that I already have a hard time with people and going outside, and I can't really afford private lessons. :(

The thing that worries and disturbs me a lot is that a couple of months ago, a drunk dude sexually harassed me on a bus and he pushed me and sprained my ankle as I was getting out. I'm very scared that this is the same man who recognized me. I'm easy to recognize so it's a possibility. I just really hope that I'm wrong. I did not see the person. Just hear them approach, feel them push me and hear them run away.

As above - a red splotch or dot in your eye is nothing to worry about if there's no disturbance of vision. It's probably a subconjunctival haeomorrhage, or like - a bruise, kind of, under your cornea. But yeah watch out for any other symptoms.

I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better. Try to take your time with it and give yourself lots of room. It almost certainly wasn't the same person unless you live in a very small town.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sheriff-killing-kidnapped-california-family-pure-evil-91157823

A family (mother, father, infant, and infant's uncle) was abducted from their place of business earlier this week in Merced, CA. While there was initially hope that they were being held somewhere, they were later all found dead in an orchard, apparently killed within an hour of their kidnapping. Based on security footage, the accused perpetrator took efforts to cover his tracks during the abduction, but he was ultimately turned in by family members to whom he confessed to the killing. The motive isn't entirely clear right now, but police have said that he was a former employee of the family's business who had a bad relationship with them. He attempted suicide before being arrested but survived and is now in custody. It sounds like the police are currently looking for an accomplice.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mysterious-stockton-serial-killings-timeline/story?id=90916836

Also in California this week, Stockton police announced that they believe a serial killer is operating in the area. They are targeting people of "similar complexions" who are alone in dark public places in the early A.M. I haven't seen it explicitly stated, but it seems like most of the victims have been unhoused at the time of their murders. The police don't seem to have any real leads aside from not-very-useful security footage of the back of a person walking away from one of the scenes.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm late here and I'm glad others have stepped up with support, but I wanted to say that as a person who suffers from general anxiety, I really sympathize with how this must play into your specific anxiety about going out. There really isn't much worse for an anxious person than to have their fear "validated". As others have said, it sounds random (cities are hosed up places sometimes) and I'm sorry that it happened.

If you're feeling understandably iffy about being in public, something that has helped me is to think about all the reasons that it's necessary. Not errands or work or other things you can't control or may not want to do, but for your mental health and overall happiness. All of the good things like friends, community, novel experiences, and fun are out there and they're worth tolerating the discomfort of feeling anxious.

I don't know that you needed to hear that and I'm sure you have resources who can tell you the same, but I wanted to leave it here in case it's helpful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cat Wings posted:

Autistic guy in Florida has enough of his overbearing mother, flees the state to go live with friends in Chicago. Mother proceeds to declare him a missing person and gets a (temporary) guardianship on him.

Also the mother thinks that he was kidnapped by a gang of organ trafficking trans people.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article266012206.html

The ease with which abusive parents can get guardianships is absolutely terrifying.

...how did that guardianship even get granted?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ravenfood posted:

...how did that guardianship even get granted?

Nobody was there to argue against it and the judge just took them at their word and rubber-stamped it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Content warning for child sexual abuse. It's loving dystopian just how much the algorithm makes things worse too. gently caress everything about the way modern tech is run.

Roblox sued for allegedly enabling young girl’s sexual, financial exploitation

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Content warning for child sexual abuse. It's loving dystopian just how much the algorithm makes things worse too. gently caress everything about the way modern tech is run.

Roblox sued for allegedly enabling young girl’s sexual, financial exploitation

As a father to a 6 year old girl, this stuff really gets to me. Roblox is basically no rules, anything goes and it's no surprise pedos just see that as an easy target for their desires.

I hope this lawsuit does something because it's beyond hosed up.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BrianRx posted:

I'm late here and I'm glad others have stepped up with support, but I wanted to say that as a person who suffers from general anxiety, I really sympathize with how this must play into your specific anxiety about going out. There really isn't much worse for an anxious person than to have their fear "validated". As others have said, it sounds random (cities are hosed up places sometimes) and I'm sorry that it happened.

If you're feeling understandably iffy about being in public, something that has helped me is to think about all the reasons that it's necessary. Not errands or work or other things you can't control or may not want to do, but for your mental health and overall happiness. All of the good things like friends, community, novel experiences, and fun are out there and they're worth tolerating the discomfort of feeling anxious.

I don't know that you needed to hear that and I'm sure you have resources who can tell you the same, but I wanted to leave it here in case it's helpful.

Oh and i really appreciate this so much. I "know this" but when your brain is scrambled it is very hard to actually think clearly about all of the things that will actually make you heal in the future.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I’m genuinely curious to know what y’all think about this article/phenomenon:

False calls about active school shooters are rising. Behind them is a strange pattern

”Whoever is doing this has managed to make phone calls relating to specific schools, reach the correct dispatchers, and give specific information about local school districts and threats within them without being caught," Conley said. "You couldn't do that without some considerable effort and investigation into knowing where you're targeting, how you're targeting it and how you were avoiding detection."

TL;DR: Dozens of reports of active shooter situations with casualties are being called in to schools and non-emergency lines across the US. They appear to originate from the same area overseas, contain a lot of localized details for the school, and the caller sounds like the same person in at least 4 cases (possibly more, but that audio wasn't reviewed).

There are clusters of greater activity in Minnesota, North Carolina, Maine, Louisiana, and Hawaii. No one is quite sure if this is part of a larger scheme to gather data on response times to better plan a larger attack, or if the intent is to cause so many false alarms that an actual attack isn’t taken as seriously until it’s too late, or if the people directing these callers are funded by a group who wants to make the US feel more dangerous, swinging the populace rightward in response.

Or if it even has any greater meaning than just scaring people.

Also Sarcopenia I hope you’re existing in a positive direction :shobon:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Busket Posket posted:

False calls about active school shooters are rising. Behind them is a strange pattern

”Whoever is doing this has managed to make phone calls relating to specific schools, reach the correct dispatchers, and give specific information about local school districts and threats within them without being caught," Conley said. "You couldn't do that without some considerable effort and investigation into knowing where you're targeting, how you're targeting it and how you were avoiding detection."

TL;DR: Dozens of reports of active shooter situations with casualties are being called in to schools and non-emergency lines across the US. They appear to originate from the same area overseas, contain a lot of localized details for the school, and the caller sounds like the same person in at least 4 cases (possibly more, but that audio wasn't reviewed).

There are clusters of greater activity in Minnesota, North Carolina, Maine, Louisiana, and Hawaii. No one is quite sure if this is part of a larger scheme to gather data on response times to better plan a larger attack, or if the intent is to cause so many false alarms that an actual attack isn’t taken as seriously until it’s too late, or if the people directing these callers are funded by a group who wants to make the US feel more dangerous, swinging the populace rightward in response.

The article seems to overstate the sophistication of the operation behind the calls somewhat: you could learn everything you’d need to make those calls by looking at a district website. If it was someone trying to learn how emergency responses worked, wouldn’t they would have to actually observe the school and community? I don’t think you can learn anything by just calling in a report and hanging up. They’re not going to keep you on the line and give you updates.

Also, wouldn’t a person in a real emergency call 911? That and the guy not knowing about ar-15s suggests it’s just a freak who gets off on scaring people, like that guy who called McDonald’s locations around the country to see if he could get the managers to strip search people.

Maybe it’s non-state actors trying to figure out how to do an attack, but there have to be smarter ways to do it. A mass shooting at a school seems like a poor way to do a terrorist attack because you’d have to be a student to get inside and have access to places where people are. I feel like terrorists already have a good idea of how to kill a bunch of people at once. I don’t see what putting yourself onto the US imperial radar like that would get you.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I mean it's probably just some jackoff having a chuckle at worrying people but that doesn't mean bad poo poo might not come about as a result of it, much like the mcdonalds strip search poo poo. :smith:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Busket Posket posted:

Honestly its probably the easiest way to get out of class now that bomb threats aren't in vogue anymore

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Busket Posket posted:

I believe the Netflix documentary Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies and the Internet covers a similar situation in one of its episodes (I think episode 1, but awful people on the internet often have “co-morbidities”). I recall being dismayed how long they had managed to get away with it despite doing the same drat thing over and over.

Unfortunately, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if it was just some troll on the internet who is just routing their attempted school swattings through a VOIP provider and a VPN specifically to less-monitored/recorded lines that still guarantee a response.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A nurse has been accused of killing 7 babies.
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2022/10/11/UK-nurse-Letby-murder/6041665513373/

quote:

...a mother of twins walked in on Letby trying to kill one of her baby boys. Letby allegedly told the mother, "Trust me, I'm a nurse," prosecutor Nick Johnson said during the trial.

The infant was "acutely distressed" and bleeding from the mouth, the court heard. The woman, who cannot be named, did not realize Letby was allegedly in the process of attacking her son.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

I just cannot comprehend what the gently caress possesses a person to do this. Just flat-out evil.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

remigious posted:

I just cannot comprehend what the gently caress possesses a person to do this. Just flat-out evil.
It's so terrifying and uncomprehensible. Bit the triplet thing especially got to me. Like loosing one baby wasn't enough. At least the last one survived...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

whos that broooown posted:

Honestly its probably the easiest way to get out of class now that bomb threats aren't in vogue anymore
There was an incident (or series of incidents, I guess) back in 2012 where the University of Pittsburgh got 160 bomb threats over the course of three months. The most ridiculous part was some moron getting up in arms over the university offering a reward for information on who was making the threats. It's scary how easy it can be to completely derail life for thousands of people.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

whos that broooown posted:

there was one year at my high school where we had 20+ bomb threats, I am old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

there was one year at my high school where we had 20+ bomb threats, I am old

Columbine was my senior year of high school. The year before, it seemed like every other day we had to evacuate for a bomb threat or a fire alarm. There wasn't really any punishment for the classmate or two that got caught.

It was a hick school in a hick county. Big Johnson shirts had been popular in middle school and no one bothered to ban them.