Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The manga version of Dressrosa kind of dragged a little as well if I recall correctly (especially during the Birdcage segment), the anime just made it slightly worse

The anime also sometimes makes weird additions like tacking on a slavery angle to Hody’s backstory during Fishman Island while at the same time keeping his conversation with Luffy during the final battle completely unaltered.

That said, it also sometimes does awesome things like giving Queen a musical number during the current Wano arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Wano has basically finished in the manga - one more issue of wrap up then Oda is going on a 4-week hiatus to prepare for 'the final saga'.

Coming soon: 4-8 weeks of anime exclusive filler rather than you know actually start catching up with the manga.

And yeah, the constant switching between fights is getting super annoying.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I expect there'll be a couple of episodes of movie tie-in filler coming up soon anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

I expect there'll be a couple of episodes of movie tie-in filler coming up soon anyway.

They’ve done it for pretty much every movie since at least Z so that wouldn’t surprise me

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

'the final saga'

I've been watching this show for so long it's hard to imagine a post-One Piece world.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I've been watching this show for so long it's hard to imagine a post-One Piece world.

if it makes you feel better the last like 10 years have been the "Four Emperors Saga" & Oda is physically impossible to keep a story contained to a constrained timed outline so you still got time

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shadow0 posted:

as if Toei wouldn't immediately jump into a next generation one piece ala naruto/boruto

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can't wait until OP is finally over so Toei can cover Gin's marvellous adventures to become the pirate king.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

as if Toei wouldn't immediately jump into a next generation one piece ala naruto/boruto

It wouldn’t pull anywhere near the numbers cause I don’t trust anyone who’s not oda with this universe.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The latest episode almost resolved a plot thread! The Ice Oni cure

So of course next week is more filler. Le sigh. Can't have the anime gaining any ground while the manga's on hiatus!

Honestly feeling like skipping the anime for a year or so and hoping One Pace does a decent job on it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I try to go like 5 or 6 weeks between viewings. It helps a lot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Zark the Damned posted:

The latest episode almost resolved a plot thread! The Ice Oni cure

So of course next week is more filler. Le sigh. Can't have the anime gaining any ground while the manga's on hiatus!

Honestly feeling like skipping the anime for a year or so and hoping One Pace does a decent job on it.

Fun fact, the scene where we see Chopper trying the cure on themselves was anime only! Definitely a good addition though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Nico Robin is always so fantastic. Easily one of my favorite characters in anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, what was the reason behind Robin being darker skinned in the first half of the anime out of curiosity (as apparently it was a mistake as they’ve since fixed that in flashbacks and remakes of that era made post timeskip)?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It wouldn’t pull anywhere near the numbers cause I don’t trust anyone who’s not oda with this universe.
Boichi did that Ace manga which was pretty on point for the most part, so I would trust a lot of authors to do like, fleshing out of existing characters or events. But entirely new stuff, no way, just look at most of the movies, only Oda has that unique sense of worldbuilding, character and coherency.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, what was the reason behind Robin being darker skinned in the first half of the anime out of curiosity (as apparently it was a mistake as they’ve since fixed that in flashbacks and remakes of that era made post timeskip)?

Probably just Toei never getting the colors right. Look at green-haired Kaiba from their Yu-Gi-Oh episodes, or Bulma from Dragon Ball.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Probably just Toei never getting the colors right. Look at green-haired Kaiba from their Yu-Gi-Oh episodes, or Bulma from Dragon Ball.

And in Bulma’s case they never fixed her even to this day (I believe in the manga her hair was supposed to be purple)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Bisse posted:

Boichi did that Ace manga which was pretty on point for the most part, so I would trust a lot of authors to do like, fleshing out of existing characters or events. But entirely new stuff, no way, just look at most of the movies, only Oda has that unique sense of worldbuilding, character and coherency.

Boichi does fairly good when he's not drawing women with weird baby faces

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One Piece sure rules! I've been going down the nostalgia lane, rewatched the first 8 eps, also read some of the first volume to compare etc. And now I'm watching that Episode of East Blue special thing, it's pretty cool. The bit recapping Zoro vs Mihawk and also the Kuro arc was nicely done.

Here's a behind the scenes music question. I read on a wiki page that One Piece used to only get new music made for the movies, and they'd apply it to the TV series. At least in the first half of the show. I've heard in the past this was the case with Dragon Ball Z as well. I wonder why they did it that way. And is it true in One Piece's case? Here's the page that mentioned it

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/The_Final_Sea:_The_New_World_Saga

Certainly well placed and catchy music, always hits those emotions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

238 down, 788 to go. :negative:

Caught up on Netflix after stopping just before Skypiea when it just came out and christ, what an insane ride it's been. The pace and plotting seemed to have picked up considerably after that arc too. I was getting pretty bored by the end of the Enel fight and found myself just skipping through episodes. Luffy just obliterated Usopp so it'll be cool to see where this goes. I will say, I miss those old fansubs with that group who animated all the attacks. Are they still around? I realize that was all the way back in loving 2005... :( But one can hope, eh?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

238 down, 788 to go. :negative:

Caught up on Netflix after stopping just before Skypiea when it just came out and christ, what an insane ride it's been. The pace and plotting seemed to have picked up considerably after that arc too. I was getting pretty bored by the end of the Enel fight and found myself just skipping through episodes. Luffy just obliterated Usopp so it'll be cool to see where this goes. I will say, I miss those old fansubs with that group who animated all the attacks. Are they still around? I realize that was all the way back in loving 2005... :( But one can hope, eh?

Sadly, Kaizoku died a long time ago.

Congrats. You’re about to hit one of the best arcs, enjoy.

Consider checking out one pace sometime soon if you want to make it less of a slog.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Film Red hits the US next month it would seem:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2022-09-04/one-piece-film-red-opens-in-u.s-in-october/.189328

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There are projects out there that do edit out the fluff and filler. Like One Pace and One Piece Kai. Do you own search and you might stumble upon them. Overlong "boss" fights between Luffy and the arc villain are kind of a staple of the series, unfortunately. Sometimes some twists make them interesting but other time it follows the same formula and it goes on for several episodes (or chapters) too long and you're just bored by the end. I think it's widely accepted that at the tail-end of Water 7 is when the pacing started to steadily get worse and worse but yeah, by and large, Water 7 is probably my favorite arc of the entire series. A fun location, great villains, high emotional stakes and drama, and the action is top-notch and feels like it's a culmination of everyone's growth thus far. It's pretty much perfect. Everyone gets their moment to shine.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 8, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

End of water 7 boss is bar none most hype for a moment in a fight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So One Pace has been really good... thanks for that.

Just in the middle of the Fishmen arc now and drat, things just keep getting better and better.

Although holy poo poo - the sexualization of Nami and Robin is through the roof. Like, camera angles right at their chests and lingering. Does it tame it down ever or is it just like this from now on? I like boobs as much as the next guy but I don't need it constantly in my face.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

So One Pace has been really good... thanks for that.

Just in the middle of the Fishmen arc now and drat, things just keep getting better and better.

Although holy poo poo - the sexualization of Nami and Robin is through the roof. Like, camera angles right at their chests and lingering. Does it tame it down ever or is it just like this from now on? I like boobs as much as the next guy but I don't need it constantly in my face.

If I recall correctly it at least gets called attention to a bit less as the series goes on, the new designs are here to stay though

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One Piece is really getting hard to stay interested in. I just want it to hurry to an end. Which is such a huge shame because I still consider it one of my favorite anime.

I can't believe how many episodes I fell behind recently. And they were almost all recaps and movie tie-ins. And now that I'm caught up, the next episode is another recap.

Haki and technology are just so poorly handled in the series right now imo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After talking about One Pace I saw on youtube a comparison of a scene from Wano arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1z6umwBs5I

It's like a parody.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is the wano arc over yet? last time i was watching i stopped when luffy landed there, i usually pick it back up when an arc finishes lol

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

After talking about One Pace I saw on youtube a comparison of a scene from Wano arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1z6umwBs5I

It's like a parody.

Having seen sumou irl, I can say with certainty the original version of the One Piece anime captures the agonizing slowness of real sumou matches.

One Pace is definitely the superior viewing experience over the original anime, but I sometimes feel like they are a bit overzealous with what they cut. I remember rewatching some part and they took out some joke I really liked. In the linked clip, I don't understand why they removed Luffy throwing salt or doing the fundoshi grab. Throwing salt is like 90% of a real sumou match. I guess it wasn't in the manga or something maybe?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Truga posted:

is the wano arc over yet? last time i was watching i stopped when luffy landed there, i usually pick it back up when an arc finishes lol

The anime still has over a year of wano to get through. It ended in the manga like a month ago.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

wano ftmfw

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The filler/rerun episodes are absolutely grueling, too. We had a rerun episode a couple months ago, followed by 3 promo episodes for the new movie, and we're getting another rerun next week.

I haven't seen pacing this bad since Bleach's whole rear end filler arcs interrupting the main arc.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I should probably slow down my catching up it sounds like, haha. I have about 6 more arcs to go through to get up to Wano.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

The filler/rerun episodes are absolutely grueling, too. We had a rerun episode a couple months ago, followed by 3 promo episodes for the new movie, and we're getting another rerun next week.

I haven't seen pacing this bad since Bleach's whole rear end filler arcs interrupting the main arc.

I preferred those because you could just check out a for months and come back when it was over.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I preferred those because you could just check out a for months and come back when it was over.

Yeah, at least with filler something interesting potentially could happen. Padding just makes all the good stuff not as good and it's really hard to skip. One Piece lends itself well to filler and even famously has such a good filler arc that people think it's canon. I wish they did filler instead of padding.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Would that by chance be the Foxy stuff? Cause the Foxy arc ruled.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Would that by chance be the Foxy stuff? Cause the Foxy arc ruled.

its the post-skypiea marine base escape. the davy back fight with foxy is canon

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh the marine base stuff was funny. Stupid ending but the rest was cool, hehe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just about caught up with One Pace - 2 more episodes left but... looks like I am still about 100 episodes behind the current airing stuff. How come no one is discussing it? According to Wikipedia there's been new episodes since like January. :lol:

Wano has been interesting - although I do miss the usual pirate stuff since this has just been a samurai showdown. But it seems things are about to kick off - esp since everyone is happy - I am expecting everything to go to poo poo. Nothing good lasts this early.