Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I used to work for my dad doing financial plans and we had an attorney client like this, he was making like a million a year and deep in debt partially because of the food and alcohol spending. His sahm wife to 3 kids would take the kids and the nanny they had to have out for every single meal and still spend like a thousand a week on insane poo poo at whole foods for the pantry. And then he would separately eat every meal out at like steakhouses etc as well. And then just hundreds a week on booze too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

hallo spacedog posted:

I used to work for my dad doing financial plans and we had an attorney client like this, he was making like a million a year and deep in debt partially because of the food and alcohol spending. His sahm wife to 3 kids would take the kids and the nanny they had to have out for every single meal and still spend like a thousand a week on insane poo poo at whole foods for the pantry. And then he would separately eat every meal out at like steakhouses etc as well. And then just hundreds a week on booze too.

BWM to the max

drk
Jan 16, 2005
It must be me who is bwm if $350 per person per month for groceries is considered an unimaginably lavish spend. That's barely over $10/day?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i eat lentils and plain brown rice for $0.005 per day. I catered my whole wedding myself for a total food cost of $1.05, which really helped me save up for my son's circumcision.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If we're talking strictly groceries, $350/month should be more than enough. $10 a day could get you two frozen meals and some eggs and toast for breakfast, and the frozen meals are expensive. You can make a spaghetti meal for a family of four for like $5-6. You could get enough chicken for 4 meals for less than $10. If you want to eat expensive cuts of meat every night, than yea you're not making it, but that is not what most people are doing.

It's always eating out that blows food budgets.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

drk posted:

It must be me who is bwm if $350 per person per month for groceries is considered an unimaginably lavish spend. That's barely over $10/day?

I don't think $350 a month per person is considered extremely lavish but it is comfy in most HCOL areas unless you love prepackaged food. 350 x 4 = $1400 not $2700 or whatever the hell reddit op was claiming that got people worked up

Of course cooking scales with more people so the real number for a family of four would likely be less than $1,400 unless they're eating out a lot

E: original point being I don't think the average American across any region is spending $2,000 a month on groceries/restaurants because the avg person literally can't afford to with other bills in mind. I'm sure lots of people are though just not the average American

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 5, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pham Nuwen posted:

i eat lentils and plain brown rice for $0.005 per day. I catered my whole wedding myself for a total food cost of $1.05, which really helped me save up for my son's circumcision.

Checks notes

No, I don't think we've had that discussion in the BWM thread yet!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

KingSlime posted:

I don't think $350 a month per person is considered extremely lavish but it is comfy in most HCOL areas unless you love prepackaged food. 350 x 4 = $1400 not $2700 or whatever the hell reddit op was claiming that got people worked up

The post we are all taking about says "Groceries: $1,400". People are adding in the $1300 eating out, rounding up to $3000 and being like omg thats $100 a day on food! But, its actually only only $22.50/day per person, including eating out frequently and probably booze (the latter of which is certainly a third or more of my "grocery" expenses).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh I see then yeah the $1300 eating out a month part is the problematic spending, grocery bill not so much. That's $10 a day per head on take out when you're already buying enough groceries to feed everyone to begin with!

People lump it together because they fulfill the same basic survival need, but when you separate em it becomes clear how much money you piss away when you eat out

E: I like to separate my alcohol purchases from groceries in my budget, but that's because I drink too much probably and it helps me see what a piece of poo poo I am. Okay I'm done posting bout budgets now!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 5, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

poo poo, goddamn, I eat like a goddamn king and my partner and I do two $50-60 Aldi runs each week

Checking YNAB right now, we're on track to spend $500 this month. We just ordered Chinese takeout too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I spent £200 last month and felt like poo poo looking at my budget.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
legit, even if I ate fast food all the time I woulds spend half of what most americans spend since they eat like 2x the calories a day of most people in the world.

I keep my poo poo at like 2300kcal a day, or 1800kcal if I'm dieting.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They said they 'only' eat out 2-3 times per week, that's 8-12 meals per month. With a $1300 budget they're spending 108-162 dollars per night out. For a family of 4 including a 4yr and 1yr old that's 27-40 dollars per person. Are they ordering separate steaks for the 4- and 1-year olds? How does a kid that young even eat $40 worth of food?

e: maybe the kids get $5 grilled cheeses and then mom and dad get $60 worth of drinks each?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 5, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

food budgeting got way easier to handle when I just cut drinking out of the picture entirely

occasionally I'm getting a $4 bottle of wine from Aldi or $7 champagne from Kroger

two drinks at a restaurant these days quickly turns into an hour or two of liveable wage post tax

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

drk posted:

It’s also very regional. I spend more because I live in an 1100 square foot townhouse with limited pantry space and the cheap grocery stores are generally a decent trek (which I would have to make regularly due to the space limitations). Being in Canada also hurts my cause…

drk
Jan 16, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They said they 'only' eat out 2-3 times per week, that's 8-12 meals per month. With a $1300 budget they're spending 108-162 dollars per night out. For a family of 4 including a 4yr and 1yr old that's 27-40 dollars per person. Are they ordering separate steaks for the 4- and 1-year olds? How does a kid that young even eat $40 worth of food?

e: maybe the kids get $5 grilled cheeses and then mom and dad get $60 worth of drinks each?

Where I live sales tax on food purchased out is ~10% and you'd be considered stingy for tipping much less than 20%. People are bad at estimating, so lets assume they eat out 3 times a week. There are 4.4 weeks in an average month, so 13.2 outings a month or 52.8 person-meals. That's a pre-tax/tip price of $19 per person per meal. Assuming the parents have one drink each and the kids eat something cheap, that's Applebee's/Chili's prices, not white linen fine dining.

(if it sounds like I'm defending spending $1300/month eating out, I'm not)

drk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 5, 2022

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Congrats on living somewhere where eating out is cheap. $40 is literally a burger and one drink at Red Robin in large swaths of the country.

$1300/mo to eat out 10x a month is not farfetched at all. They need to eat out less because their estimate is probably right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cerekk posted:

Congrats on living somewhere where eating out is cheap. $40 is literally a burger and one drink at Red Robin in large swaths of the country.

$1300/mo to eat out 10x a month is not farfetched at all. They need to eat out less because their estimate is probably right.

Lol it’s a little over a 1/4 of that

40 dollars lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol it’s a little over a 1/4 of that

40 dollars lol

I got a burger carry out at Buffalo Wild Wings Sunday and it was $17 by itself. Meals can be stupid expensive.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I'm going to need to see that receipt for that $40 burger and drink. Was the drink one of those novelty $28 fish bowls? :lol:

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

$18 burger
$12 mixed drink
8% sales tax
20% tip
You get close to $40 easy. Seems reasonable to me

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yes, if you lump the cost of alcohol into your food budget then you are going to have an overinflated idea of how much it cost to feed yourself in modern-day America

Alcohol is pricey, it has great profit margins

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol we are seeing those clickbait articles created in real time

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
Few people will argue with the plausibility of 10+ meals out for 2.75 people costing ~$1300. The main issue is that the OP has no idea where to cut back, and that the other 20 days in the month cost ~$1400, or $70/day.

I guess if it's not a drug/alcohol problem, it could be that their butler is pocketing the rest and blaming food price increases.

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Magicaljesus posted:

Few people will argue with the plausibility of 10+ meals out for 2.75 people costing ~$1300. The main issue is that the OP has no idea where to cut back, and that the other 20 days in the month cost ~$1400, or $70/day.

I guess if it's not a drug/alcohol problem, it could be that their butler is pocketing the rest and blaming food price increases.

And he says they are all still somehow "constantly running out" of food and there is "never enough food" in the house despite the $2.7k spent each month on food.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe they all weigh 600 pounds and eat like 5000 calories a day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Thom Yorke raps posted:

$18 burger
$12 mixed drink
8% sales tax
20% tip
You get close to $40 easy. Seems reasonable to me
What made the post so dumb is that they specifically picked Red Robin. I don’t think you can even find a $18 burger at Red Robin. Anywhere, much less over “large swaths of the country”.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I'm going to need to see that receipt for that $40 burger and drink. Was the drink one of those novelty $28 fish bowls? :lol:

https://www.redrobin.com/order

Punch in zip code 98125

Pick a specialty burger ($15.69) and a glass of wine ($12) (or a cocktail but you can't order cocktails online)

9.3% sales tax
20% tip

Sorry it is $37 not $40 I am a huge liar

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cerekk posted:

https://www.redrobin.com/order

Punch in zip code 98125

Pick a specialty burger ($15.69) and a glass of wine ($12) (or a cocktail but you can't order cocktails online)

9.3% sales tax
20% tip

Sorry it is $37 not $40 I am a huge liar

Or add bacon to the burger (+$2.50) and you're there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alcohol counting as “food” is still the key problem. If you’re drinking $12 glasses of wine with your $15 burger yeah you can do it.

That’s not paying $40 for food, that’s paying $20 for food (after tax tip etc) and $20 for a single serving of over priced booze.

As I said before, that’s not a food budget that’s a booze budget

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What made the post so dumb is that they specifically picked Red Robin. I don’t think you can even find a $18 burger at Red Robin. Anywhere, much less over “large swaths of the country”.

Red Robin was arbitrarily chosen as a cheap chain restaurant that nobody could possibly begrudge as a night out and it's still $40/adult on the coasts. This is in response to the argument that $100-$150/meal for a family of four to eat out is unreasonable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

That’s not paying $40 for food, that’s paying $20 for food (after tax tip etc) and $20 for a single serving of over priced booze.

Yep exactly the point of a budget is to know where your money is going and alcohol is amazing as it is is not food

If you're a family who's struggling to figure out where your money is going, not buying over priced single alcohol servings is a great way to cut back with or no impact on quality on the life. Hell keep the $18 burger you're still doin much better than you were.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cerekk posted:

Red Robin was arbitrarily chosen as a cheap chain restaurant that nobody could possibly begrudge as a night out and it's still $40/adult on the coasts. This is in response to the argument that $100-$150/meal for a family of four to eat out is unreasonable.

It’s only $40/adult if you’re spending half your dinner budget on alcohol.

I get it, food is expensive, specially if you’re in a high col city but that doesn’t make $40 a meal some kind of unassailable fact of life.

Signed, a guy who lives in a HCOL area and manages about $50 for two when he takes his wife out to local restaurants. The key is we drink our beer at home.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

And I’m not going to begrudge someone a night on the town and blowing some money on drinks. God knows I’ve had some steep bar tabs in my life.

But that’s not food, that’s recreational drug use.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
And I doubt the 1 year old is ordering many $20 drinks!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Bird in a Blender posted:

You can make a spaghetti meal for a family of four for like $5-6.

I suppose if your meal for a family of four is one box of store brand spaghetti noodles and one jar of store brand pasta sauce. Might even be able to splurge and get a head of garlic for that.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s only $40/adult if you’re spending half your dinner budget on alcohol.

I get it, food is expensive, specially if you’re in a high col city but that doesn’t make $40 a meal some kind of unassailable fact of life.

Signed, a guy who lives in a HCOL area and manages about $50 for two when he takes his wife out to local restaurants. The key is we drink our beer at home.

Yes, this couple should eat out less, and when they do eat out they should try to spend less. The only thing I am arguing against is the posters that can't fathom how a family eating out 12 times per month could possibly be spending $1300/mo at restaurants. It's easy even at cheap restaurants, especially if you have the sort of relationship with money that lets you eat out 12 times a month in the first place.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The kids are both on strict "babies eat other babies" diet of veal, balut, and special-order fertilized caviar

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

I suppose if your meal for a family of four is one box of store brand spaghetti noodles and one jar of store brand pasta sauce. Might even be able to splurge and get a head of garlic for that.

Well yea that’s what I based it on because I wanted quick numbers, but that’s still enough pasta and sauce to feed four people, plus probably some bread on the side. These are all fairly cheap things. It’s not like every meal needs to be this.

This thread is going to master the price is right in another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
People saying that they spend $x eating out are saying that they spend that amount at restaurants. Breaking it down by food vs alcohol is following sound budgeting principles but is also a lot more work.