Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Warbird posted:

Wait, that case is “a thing”? I grabbed one at Best Buy a couple of years ago to stuff my server into and it was the only one they had. Wasn’t particularly expensive iirc.
The last time I looked at PC components at Best Buy was like 5 years ago but from what I recall, they have decent midrange items albeit a much smaller selection compared to Newegg or Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Megabound posted:

The Denzel Curry album that i was waiting for finally shipped, and it sounds magnificent

That record player looks like a prop from a Seventies detective TV show used to establish that the suspect is a wealthy playboy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dick Trauma posted:

That record player looks like a prop from a Seventies detective TV show used to establish that the suspect is a wealthy playboy.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

njsykora posted:

I got this thing.

Which version did you go with? I'm interested in getting one and don't really need all of the specs of the mid and top tier ones but the glass screen seems like a large selling point. Just can't get behind spending $650 on it just for the screen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

travisray2004 posted:

Which version did you go with? I'm interested in getting one and don't really need all of the specs of the mid and top tier ones but the glass screen seems like a large selling point. Just can't get behind spending $650 on it just for the screen.

I got 256gb, the only difference between models is storage and the screen on the 512gb so don’t feel like you’re missing power getting the 64gb one. I just wanted a decent size internal drive and I haven’t had any issues running games off the 256gb SD card I have in there right now. The case is nice too, though the power supply space in the case clearly wasn’t designed with a UK plug in mind but it’s now a place to put headphones.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I can't explain how my brain works but I googled "columbo record player" and this came up... :haw:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Columbo often had new gadgets as a plot point. Answering machine, security cameras, speed camera... Don't remember the programmable turntable, but no doubt it was used to fake an alibi or to disguise the actual time of death or both.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Flipperwaldt posted:

Columbo often had new gadgets as a plot point. Answering machine, security cameras, speed camera... Don't remember the programmable turntable, but no doubt it was used to fake an alibi or to disguise the actual time of death or both.

iirc it is from one of the pilot episodes where the murderer does exactly use it to fake their alibi or something

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Both another guitar AND art!

Fender MA-1 Parlor-size acoustic that has been hand painted with a "close enough" copy of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

And I think that's Tinkerbell on the back

Somehow this a playable guitar, although the paint on the back of the neck isn't so pleasant. String action is good, and could go lower with a quick filing of the bridge saddle. I was surprised because it's usually junk that gets painted when it finally reaches the unplayable level. But it's also not an expensive guitar, they're about $120 used. I paid $45 shipped, which I thought was cheap enough even if it was a junk. It's a good wall hanger even if it played terrible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

widefault posted:

And I think that's Tinkerbell on the back

This is pretty funny and would make a good thread title.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

It's actually just a signifier that my Dad was bad with money.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

njsykora posted:

I got 256gb, the only difference between models is storage and the screen on the 512gb so don’t feel like you’re missing power getting the 64gb one. I just wanted a decent size internal drive and I haven’t had any issues running games off the 256gb SD card I have in there right now. The case is nice too, though the power supply space in the case clearly wasn’t designed with a UK plug in mind but it’s now a place to put headphones.

I'm tempted to order one myself and seeing everyone's posts about them make it worse.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm tempted to order one myself and seeing everyone's posts about them make it worse.

I think the same thing every time I see one of those cool hand held emulators, but then I look at the Rasberry Pi I bought and installed RetroPie on and have played for a grand total of ~20 hours over the course of a few years and think: how much do I really play video games “on the go” as an adult? The math is obviously different if you have a long commute via public transportation, but honestly, I have a 20 min commute via bus and I’d rather just read or nod off for a few minutes than look at another screen before/after work.

E. VVV Fair points; just doesn’t fit my needs, but I’m sure it makes sense for others.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Oct 6, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Brother Tadger posted:

I think the same thing every time I see one of those cool hand held emulators, but then I look at the Rasberry Pi I bought and installed RetroPie on and have played for a grand total of ~20 hours over the course of a few years and think: how much do I really play video games “on the go” as an adult? The math is obviously different if you have a long commute via public transportation, but honestly, I have a 20 min commute via bus and I’d rather just read or nod off for a few minutes than look at another screen before/after work.

I have a lunch hour at work and it takes me about 20 minutes to eat lunch so I've gotten a solid half hour of deck time in there since I got it. Also the League of Legends World Championship is happening and the Deck is great for playing between games or during boring games. I'm actually getting through my first play of Twilight Princess since I played it in 2007. I also bought the official dock since they finally put it up for order so it'll be the emulation console I've wanted for ages as well. Though they didn't call it the Steam Dock, come on guys.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

E. VVV Fair points; just doesn’t fit my needs, but I’m sure it makes sense for others.

For me it's more about being able to play pc games again without having to pay a poo poo load of money to build a gaming pc and then have to sit at my desk to play games. I sit there all day and work, I don't want to sit there for my non-working hours.

I play my switch on the couch, in bed, at my desk etc. I'd likely never take either of these things outside my home, but having the option of playing in bed while my wife writes on her laptop or whatever is nice.

These are some examples of how I justified ordering a steam deck this morning.

Slimy Hog has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Oct 7, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Slimy Hog posted:

For me it's more about being able to play pc games again without having to pay a poo poo load of money to build a gaming pc and then have to sit at my desk to play games. I sit there all day and work, I don't want to sit there for my non-working hours.

Same for me. Sitting at my desk to play games has become less and less appealing the more I work at home. I also travel a lot for work so its nice having something I can throw in my bag to dick around with in my hotel/airbnb.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A couple of nice thrifting finds:

Bose 301 Series V speakers, $30.

Bluesound Powernode 2 streamer and 2x60 watt amplifier. $150, cost about $900 new in 2016. Will still connect and play every conceviable streaming app today, and also has USB, digital and analog in for all your physical media needs.

Hooked these together just on the floor in my living room now, and for a Saturday night these make a pretty nice setup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to drool over those speakers like 20 years ago. You just put them on the floor?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to drool over those speakers like 20 years ago. You just put them on the floor?
Yeah but it's a special $800,000 audiophile grade floor

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I bought over 1000lbs of sand to fill differently sized bags (which I also bought), to then carry from one end of the turf to the other.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

The floor setup was just to see that everything worked. I'll find a more permanent position for them eventually.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another old Hondo guitar from around 1980.

To sit on the rack next to it's unidentical twin

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I bought an old rotary phone and an xlr cable to make a lo-fi mic out of it. It sounds great!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
This highland cattle calendar.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007
Cards against humanity cards... in clam mayo.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
New tiki mug time! :cabot:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Binged the bejesus out of Columbo throughout September. Just got through the classic episodes. This book had come out during that time and has illustrations by this guy. Figured I'd give it a whirl.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A framed, autographed poster of stock car legend Dick Trickle, RIP

Other than his excellent name, I remember him coming to the local track before, during, and after his NASCAR days and just stomping the locals.

And an autographed photo of former bears, current Steelers QB Mitch Trubisky.

As a Packer fan I loved watching him play, and he is a man of refined tastes

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bought this today having no idea what it was other than wanting to add to my Jethro Tull collection, only googled it when I got home and found out it's a live bootleg of a concert they played in 1970. It's really good too! Very listenable and a great set.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Jethro Tull rules.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's right! I need to get more of their records.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Speaker posted:

Jethro Tull rules.

Yeah, absolutely bitchin' heavy metal band.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My then-12-year-old daughter introduced me to Jethro Tull, and I’m grateful.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

widefault posted:

A framed, autographed poster of stock car legend Dick Trickle, RIP

Other than his excellent name, I remember him coming to the local track before, during, and after his NASCAR days and just stomping the locals.

Heck yeah. He was a local guy and my dad remembered seeing him race on the short tracks here. He was doing NASCAR by the time I remember hearing of him, but I got to sit in one of his cars at some local events he showed up to. Dude was a fuckin legend. :rip:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There was a time when Sportscenter would report on NASCAR results and they would say where Dick Trickle finished every time, no matter how badly he did.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, absolutely bitchin' Grammy Award-winning heavy metal band.

Ftfy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Seriously, look at these guys and tell me they don't rock.

https://youtu.be/gVZPVUFlgcU

Ian Anderson must have been on the all-pussy diet from 1967 to 1990.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Big fan of your UFO turntable. I did look it up and seems to be a tad too pricey to purchase for looks though.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Big fan of your UFO turntable. I did look it up and seems to be a tad too pricey to purchase for looks though.

ty, it's a fun deck for sure. I got it off my father as he'd packed away all his records years ago but kept everything in the shed. $1000 is steep but they do go for about half that with work needed. I had to re-cap and replace some wiring in mine and it was actually a pretty simple task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Been looking for this Bad Kitty Tiki mug for awhile meow, and was finally able to track one down! :dance: