Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of YouTube gripes, anyone else get the issue where if you wake the box from sleep in the app and play something, it’s just in a small box in the corner? Feel like it’s a 4K specific thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Can anyone with Paramount+ check Dexter for super choppy framerate? I’m watching s1 e3 and it looks like crap. When I watched it on Netflix a few years back it looked fine.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
is there any fixing the "3 seconds of black screen" when i start/stop a show in plex with apple tv's match content things enabled, or do i just need to put up with it or shut the feature off?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dc3k posted:

is there any fixing the "3 seconds of black screen" when i start/stop a show in plex with apple tv's match content things enabled, or do i just need to put up with it or shut the feature off?

this happens when I watch/switch between literally anything with dolby vision apparently and while it's firstworldproblems as hell, it's annoying af and I'm about to throw in the towel

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just deal with it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

what are the idea Video and Audio settings theses days?

match content, format, etc. I have an LG CX Oled. I can select 4k Dolby Vision, but seems to cause issues, and not sure how much I care about that for youtube

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
for video: 4k sdr, match content and framerate

4k sdr is largely because the youtube app is garbage that will show sdr content in hdr by default otherwise. just ignore tvos bothering you to set it to dv which overrides it

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How is HBOMax app on apple tv? I'm contemplating picking up apple tv at some point, but it seems like almost a universal constant that hbomax app is lovely on every platform.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

this happens when I watch/switch between literally anything with dolby vision apparently and while it's firstworldproblems as hell, it's annoying af and I'm about to throw in the towel

It’s this. The plex UI runs Dolby vision, then when you hit a video it’s going to absolutely not be Dolby vision.

If you turn off Dolby vision it should fix it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

How is HBOMax app on apple tv? I'm contemplating picking up apple tv at some point, but it seems like almost a universal constant that hbomax app is lovely on every platform.

Totally fine. Never had a problem except that one time a year (?) ago when they pushed out an update that hosed everything up for a day or so and then reverted after everyone complained.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah it’s perfectly fine for me and has been for a while now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Totally fine. Never had a problem except that one time a year (?) ago when they pushed out an update that hosed everything up for a day or so and then reverted after everyone complained.

Yep.

A lot of these apps want to use their special non-standard UI or whatever the gently caress and it fucks everything up.

One of the worst offenders is peacock. It doesn't save your subtitle preference between episodes, and if you pause and walk away for long enough it doesn't save your progress. Amazon's ain't much better.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Peacock and Paramount+ are the worst two apps. Paramount+ is probably a hair or two worse than Peacock. You're right that Amazon ain't great either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tangentially related question, but I'm not sure if there's a better thread: Can you not play 4K content through iTunes on PC? The store page of the movie says 4K, but it plays the 1080p version.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949

macOS, yes on certain hardware.
Windows, no. 1080P max.

Edit: I just realized that page is for stuff through tv.Apple.com but I would guess it’s the same for iTunes since it’s basically doing the same thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949

macOS, yes on certain hardware.
Windows, no. 1080P max.

Thanks. That's BS, but not surprising.

e:though I think that might be referring to watching via a browser? It doesn't seem to mention watching via iTunes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah I use it a lot and it’s fine.

The old HBO app had dog poo poo picture quality but the max app looks pretty good tbh.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of the HBO app, is there any way to never see the “choose a profile” screen?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. That's BS, but not surprising.

e:though I think that might be referring to watching via a browser? It doesn't seem to mention watching via iTunes.

I edited my post right after I made it with that. From what I can find elsewhere, that same information seems to also apply to watching movies through the iTunes app.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 8, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is this the place where I can complain about all the new and exciting ways Apple manages to invent to screw up the Podcasts app with every single release?

https://i.imgur.com/7dcuoSv.mp4

Literally what the gently caress guys

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I didn't know anyone actually used that app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I didn't know anyone actually used that app.

Apple literally just said the same thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd love to use some other podcast app if a) it would sync with my phone and computer so I can, I don't know, listen to a series of podcasts in broadcast order, like I imagine human beings might, regardless of whether I am in my car or using the TV in my garage gym, and b) it existed

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There really isn’t a good excuse for it to be so bad. The iOS Podcasts app is fantastic and has been forever. It should just be the same thing but with an Apple TV interface.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I'd love to use some other podcast app if a) it would sync with my phone and computer so I can, I don't know, listen to a series of podcasts in broadcast order, like I imagine human beings might, regardless of whether I am in my car or using the TV in my garage gym, and b) it existed

Do you like, want a list of the three or four apps that do exactly that or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean ... maybe? I just spent some time installing the iHeart app on both iPhone and AppleTV and the latter doesn't seem to have a "podcasts" section even though it does find the thing I'm trying to listen to; it doesn't seem to sync across devices. (Ideally it would be something with a CarPlay app too, that's the whole reason I was hoping the built-in one would, you know, "just work")

I see there's a bunch of results in an app search on AppleTV for "podcasts" but I'm not sure what the recommended route is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Wait do you need one with a tv app specifically? Like airplay from iOS and a webapp or app on your computer is no good?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TV app is what I'm looking for. I want to be able to use the TV remote while I'm on the treadmill. Fumbling around with the iPhone app on AirPlay (which doesn't connect very reliably, nor does it give me onscreen navigation controls on the TV) while I'm flailing around is a really annoying workaround.

This all worked "okay" until the recent update where it started doing this "lol you only get even-numbered episodes, we'll just skip over all the odd-numbered ones haha you boob" thing. The most irritating persistent bug was only that it would arbitrarily skip backward or forward by a random number of minutes right in the middle of an episode (permanently, you couldn't rewind and listen to the part it skipped, it was baked into the stream) because a new set of ads would download or something (is my theory after months of experimentation) and it would slice it up on the fly by just sort of, like, doing a robo-copy-paste of an arbitrarily selected chunk of non-ad audio to slide the ads in.

I'd just about learned to live with that when this new thing happened, and I'm like, really guys? Seriously?

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 11, 2022

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Data Graham posted:

TV app is what I'm looking for. I want to be able to use the TV remote while I'm on the treadmill. Fumbling around with the iPhone app on AirPlay (which doesn't connect very reliably, nor does it give me onscreen navigation controls on the TV) while I'm flailing around is a really annoying workaround.

This all worked "okay" until the recent update where it started doing this "lol you only get even-numbered episodes, we'll just skip over all the odd-numbered ones haha you boob" thing. The most irritating persistent bug was only that it would arbitrarily skip backward or forward by a random number of minutes right in the middle of an episode (permanently, you couldn't rewind and listen to the part it skipped, it was baked into the stream) because a new set of ads would download or something (is my theory after months of experimentation) and it would slice it up on the fly by just sort of, like, doing a robo-copy-paste of an arbitrarily selected chunk of non-ad audio to slide the ads in.

I'd just about learned to live with that when this new thing happened, and I'm like, really guys? Seriously?

The remote will work with AirPlay content. I use it with Overcast all the time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Proteus Jones posted:

The remote will work with AirPlay content. I use it with Overcast all the time.

Not to navigate between different podcast episodes, like scrubbing through the "Now Playing" list etc

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the AppleTV 4K for $109
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-tv-4k-32gb-2nd-generation-latest-model-black/6342362.p?skuId=6342362

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Same at Amazon, or 129 for the 64GB. I can finally justify bumping the OG Apple TV HD 4th Gen which is really struggling with tvOS16, and it'll be here tomorrow!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Holiday sales...or clearing out inventory....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holiday sales...or clearing out inventory....

Yes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Same at Amazon, or 129 for the 64GB. I can finally justify bumping the OG Apple TV HD 4th Gen which is really struggling with tvOS16, and it'll be here tomorrow!

What issues you seeing with ios16? I’ve not noticed any.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

EL BROMANCE posted:

What issues you seeing with ios16? I’ve not noticed any.

I’m guessing the issue is mostly with lovely apps running slowly on hardware that can’t compensate. YouTube TV, YouTube, MLB, and a couple other dedicated streaming apps take forever to open, and the performance is generally terrible- YouTube TV especially, and that’s a majority of my use. I don’t have any of these problems on my current (at least for the next two weeks) 4k. Honestly, I was thinking about just getting a new remote for it since the battery is shot but at this price you’re basically getting the AppleTV for 40 bucks and I can still throw the old HD in a bedroom or something.

If rumors are to be believed a new version would be a processor bump and some sort of change to the remote. That could be anything from a redesigned Siri button to tracking capability. This looks like the better deal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah doh I misread and thought you were jumping from the 4K V1 not the one prior, that definitely makes sense. I have an HD in the guest room but it’s been a while since I’ve used it, I’ll try hold off on letting it update to 16.

The battery on the remote on my v1 is the only thing bugging me at the moment, I’m wondering if it’s just gonna die out on me sometime soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a 4K V2 when they launched and moved the V1 into the office to replace the HD that was in there, and even the limited interaction I had with it then it was noticeably slower

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, a 4K V3 with a Siri remote that has a locator/speaker would be a no-brainer buy. Or at least would be as soon as it went on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, a 4K V3 with a Siri remote that has a locator/speaker would be a no-brainer buy. Or at least would be as soon as it went on sale.

It's insane they haven't done some Airtag-like location with the remote. Having kids, I have to use my phone 99% of the time because they lose that poo poo all the time, and I find it in a bedroom 2 weeks later, all while I keep getting "remote battery is getting low!!" notifications when I watch anything.