Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Summoning circle in the new asylum does stuff guys :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condwr
Feb 10, 2021
My new favourite thing is occasionally maxing out the ghost movement speed in the difficulty settings and reducing the hunt grace period to 2 seconds, without telling my friends, aka 'bullet mode'

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really love how much more objects are thrown around by the ghost now, especially when it's hunting and props are just flying everywhere.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I still think the most obvious oversight is an old Victorian mansion. A classic haunted house.

yeah and a bedsheet ghost model

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the actual ghost models are the weakest part of the game, i feel like they could be a lot scarier and should just look a bit more striking and varied

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Shibawanko posted:

yeah and a bedsheet ghost model

Now I kinda want to see a Scooby-Doo game in a phasmophobia style, figure out who it is and then set a trap.

I think it'd be fun.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

swordfish duelist posted:

Now I kinda want to see a Scooby-Doo game in a phasmophobia style, figure out who it is and then set a trap.

I think it'd be fun.

I would kill for a Scooby-Doo mode in this game with slightly less scary models and sounds so I could play with my son. The mystery solving aspect of this game is right up his alley, but it's just too scary for me to show him without risking some sleepless nights.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost model rework I think was on their roadmap. So for those of you lamenting the creepy child, skinless zombie, and hell lumberjack, good news!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
Yeah the ghost models are very "straight out of a purchased asset pack" but I think it's fine for now while they work on developing the game more and bringing it more of a sense of its own identity.

If I had a genie lamp that only worked on Phasmophobia features I'd probably ask for ghost models that can travel through walls and on walls/ceilings, and a jump button

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my other big wish for the game is just more random events like the red lights thing. faces in the windows, weird sounds, visual distortions and so on

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a lot more creepy ambience noises in the Asylum at least, so I hope that's a trend going forward.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
ooooh I wonder what's gonna be in the Coming Soon slots

e: hah! our door ghost friend is still here :)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

my other big wish for the game is just more random events like the red lights thing. faces in the windows, weird sounds, visual distortions and so on

Oh poo poo, is that what happened? I was walking through the asylum and the lights did the creepy red flashing and I didn't know what was going on. I thought it was due to antics related to the summoning circle

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

ooooh I wonder what's gonna be in the Coming Soon slots

They are going to ultimately be doing an equipment and progression refresh, so you go from crappy equipment to better. Matches to lighter to zippo, I think was one example. You can already see previews of a couple, like the mega-UV and the larger model spirit box (I think it's a spirit box?)

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Did a few runs on Camp Woodwind and Sunny Meadows Restricted last night with a friend on standard Pro difficulty, things went perfectly fine. Decided to try a custom difficulty for the first time on Sunny Meadows Restricted, figured giving us unlimited sprint + 1.5x base speed should let us have plenty of time to explore more of Sunny Meadows while still not completely making things safe. First run, a demon almost immediately hunts as soon as I enter the hallway in the left wing, spawns right beside the only hiding spot in reach, not enough room to get around it, RIP. Second run, things go much better, all we need to do before leaving is prevent a hunt. So I start using the tarot cards to drain sanity a little quicker... first card, Hanged Man. 10/10 would custom difficulty again.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, it's pretty great. Just the ability to go scout the maps and check out their little details is fantastic. Or find where the cursed item spawns are (until this release, I had no idea what the mirror looked like, because I was expecting it to be a hand mirror)
New circuitbreaker box threw me for a loop though

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Yeah the lighting in the new asylum is so poor that i accidentally turned the breaker off without realizing it until i realized three light switches later that there was now zero light instead of almost zero

I like the poor lighting though, very atmospheric. The chapel seemed a bit over the top but whatever

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

not a fan of the over the top satan stuff either, the location should look plausible at least. i think id even like a daytime or twilight setting if it was done right

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

With how sterile the other maps feel I'm fine with one being over the top, however I would be kind of bummed if they make every map like that obviously.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
With how normal the new campsite is, I'm hoping the over the top Satan stuff is going to be a one and done. But maybe everyone raving about it will have some affect on future art direction

VR is still broken, so I'm not really playing much. But it seems like the last update broke a lot more than VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH-lpBhO1jM

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
I thought I'd seen a glimpse of one of the ghosts going super speed but I thought I'd either imagined it or my memory exaggerated! :argh:

e: okay I kinda like that first clip of it where it approaches slowly for a while, then right as psycho asks "why is she not going fast?" suddenly she zips right up and snaps his neck. That kind of ghost behavior would be rad and spooky as gently caress if it were deliberate, maybe they could do that for one of the ghost types

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 5, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been doing some 16x modifier speedruns alone or with a friend lately to build up a huge cash stack and it's been alot of fun. You're almost never in actual danger of being hunted but it's still satisfying to get in, identify the ghost and do 2-3 objections and leave with 700~ bucks in like 15mins tops.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

As usual after a major update, patches with adjustments and bug fixes are getting pushed out reasonably quickly. They just released one which supposedly fixes a major memory leak causing a lot of performance issues, among other things (and the first part of their Halloween updates, go check that door in the lobby that won't open!). Hopefully that's the case, I'll try it later tonight.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Mason Dixon posted:

As usual after a major update, patches with adjustments and bug fixes are getting pushed out reasonably quickly. They just released one which supposedly fixes a major memory leak causing a lot of performance issues, among other things (and the first part of their Halloween updates, go check that door in the lobby that won't open!). Hopefully that's the case, I'll try it later tonight.

SPOOKY STEVE IS BACK!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
The new Apocalypse challenge is only available in single player :/

I get it, it's more impressive to do it yourself but multiplayer is kinda the main attraction point for me here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Didn't even know about the challenge until you posted about it, so ty

jesus christ, getting a 24x multiplier (for gold) requires cranking everything to the worst possible for you. half speed + no sprint + 150% speed ghost + 0 sanity, in the freaking asylum? lmao

I was surprised to find that the weather effects changed the multiplier, with heavy rain being the highest at +.10 (e: oh I guess the fact that it puts out candles may be why)

e: lmfao here was my first attempt. This starts literally the moment after I step inside:

https://i.imgur.com/57JEUJ8.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 6, 2022

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Goddamn, those trophies better be giving you head for how difficult that is to complete

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Yeah 24x seems ridiculous. I have to wonder if they tested the idea to see if it was even possible to get gold

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Insym released a vid a few days ago since he was told about the challenge early and managed to do it. It's really silly and requires alot of luck and patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ArSt7-aH4

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, as soon as I exited the van at .5 speed I had already lost all patience. I knew I was gonna die doing this, so I pictured myself sluggishly exiting the van over and over and just gave up.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Insym released a vid a few days ago since he was told about the challenge early and managed to do it. It's really silly and requires alot of luck and patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ArSt7-aH4
Haha 48 minutes? Yeah I'm good on doing that myself, I'll just watch Insym's run at some point

Revitalized posted:

Honestly, as soon as I exited the van at .5 speed I had already lost all patience. I knew I was gonna die doing this, so I pictured myself sluggishly exiting the van over and over and just gave up.
yeah same lol. Exiting the van at that speed and getting immediately eaten was enough for me.. I may try 16x later for the bronze, right now I'm just getting used to an 8.48x setting I'm trying for money grinding

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Here's the settings I've been using for 16x for very safe very fast money grinding if anyone wants them.

You are quite literally in no danger with these settings unless you get blasted by like a million ghost events due to bad RNG.
700~ bucks a run if you can do 2 objectives + bone + ghost.

Some highlights:
- sanity starts at 0 and pills do 25 so you just eat all 4 pills immediately so it's irrelevant (you can do a slightly lower modifier if you want to play with 1 other person by changing base sanity to 50 and both eating 2)
- breaker starts on so you just use a video camera to orb check/see in the dark as you turn on the lights you need so the 2x sanity drain doesn't matter. I routinely left with 80-90 sanity. You practically don't even notice the lack of a flashlight.
- no sprinting is a bit annoying but you just play in small maps like tanglewood and it's not a huge deal. In and out in 10-15mins max.
- doors start all shut like the old days so you can easily find what room the ghost is walking into or out immediately and get fingerprints/locate the ghost room with little to no hassle.
- Roaming is set to high for some extra modifier, but in my experience so far after a handful of hours doing this that it means the ghost will walk in and out of the ghost room alot, but mostly stay in the same area. I don't think I had any ghost roam to the other side of the house and make things a hassle even once. Maybe this can happen in a large map but I would not recommend these settings for those anyways.
- ghost is extremely fast and the hunt time is super long and you have 0 grace period but none of these matter since you will never get hunted

It's surprisingly fun to speedrun rounds with these settings and I've gotten like 20k in the bank and growing. You get like 200-300 dollars even if you only can finish like 2 easy objectives and don't get the ghost because you got your sanity too low and had to bail.

My only advice is to reset if you get like 2-3 hunt based objectives since those are basically suicide. Or don't and get like 200 bucks for just finding the ghost.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 6, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
oooh nice, thanks! I'll give those settings a try tonight. I had a bunch of +multiplier changes but I also set the ghost speed to .75 so I could maybe run away if necessary. I also did a "start at 0 but pills restore 30" setup so I'd take 3 at the beginning, then use a candle to set everything up, then if I was feeling paranoid about my sanity level I'd have one on reserve.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

You can pick up one of the big UV flashlights in the office! Also, look up :eek:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Here's the settings I've been using for 16x for very safe very fast money grinding if anyone wants them.

My first time trying these settings, did fine, 385. Second time I forgot to take the pills and got hunted and et the second I stepped inside tanglewood

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I've been there a few times lol. Tried the small campsite with a friend with these settings (would not recommend btw,) and both of us forgot our pills since we were chatting, got ghost evented immediately which made us remember and breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn't a hunt then watched the gate slam shut quite literally the second the event ended and that's all she wrote.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate getting hunted. i never get used to it like those streamers who just stand there counting seconds between blinks and judging speed

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Have you been hunted by a deogen yet?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

not yet, i kind of play trying to avoid hunts

is evidence busted on woodwind campsite? had a ghost that supposedly left fingerprints and orbs and dots but i saw none of them despite checking for a very long time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Fingerprints can be hard to get and not guaranteed to be left depending on the ghost type and i think difficulty, ghost orb is easy to miss if you've just got the wrong camera angles, and dots can be extremely fiddly or rare

Otoh evidence types haber been known too be bugged in the past and there's been a few bugs with the big new update so that's possible too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Fingerprints can be hard to get and not guaranteed to be left depending on the ghost type and i think difficulty, ghost orb is easy to miss if you've just got the wrong camera angles, and dots can be extremely fiddly or rare

Otoh evidence types haber been known too be bugged in the past and there's been a few bugs with the big new update so that's possible too

i thought the fingerprints on tents were supposed to be left on the inside mesh but i kept checking in what i was sure was the ghost tent and they never showed up, also had two dot projectors that i kept moving around, cameras everywhere and just saw nothing at all. it was the blue tent