Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I wonder if they'll ever add new Wei locations with the new maps. I don't hunt him down but it feels like a nice surprise when I run across him in the course of normal play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I found Wei today, was clipped into gift behind windrise

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen him in months.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Please dear Jesus somebody tell me there’s an easy way to kill the goddamn Oceanid birds.

My world level just went up and I absolutely cannot kill these stupid rear end things before Mama Oceanid starts spamming that “you’re too slow” undodgeable move. Tried Sucrose but they don’t get sucked in for some reason. Even leveled up Lisa a bit because I read she’s good at killing them, but they just juggle the poo poo out of her and she dies before I can get her ability off. Diona comes the closest, but her bow damage is pathetic and can’t take them out before that one supermove from Mama.

Tried resetting the fight a bunch but I’m 6/6 for getting birds on attempts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leathal posted:

Please dear Jesus somebody tell me there’s an easy way to kill the goddamn Oceanid birds.

My world level just went up and I absolutely cannot kill these stupid rear end things before Mama Oceanid starts spamming that “you’re too slow” undodgeable move. Tried Sucrose but they don’t get sucked in for some reason. Even leveled up Lisa a bit because I read she’s good at killing them, but they just juggle the poo poo out of her and she dies before I can get her ability off. Diona comes the closest, but her bow damage is pathetic and can’t take them out before that one supermove from Mama.

Lisa or any Lightning that hits aerial like Oz

Rosaria's Skill has a high vertical hitbox that can also hit them.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Leathal posted:

Ganyu makes the whole fight a snap. If you don’t have her, Fischl is likely your best bet against the flying birds.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Leathal posted:

Do you have Fischl? Failing that, use Dionas shield then switch to Lisa (if shes your only ranged electro) so she doesnt get juggled. There are other options (razor can hit them with his skill, you can freeze them) but it depends what characters you have available. I wound up levelling fischl specifically for that fight. The birds are The Worst while you're mid-level and still getting your poo poo together (AKA when you need to fight the oceanid for levelling up stuff the most). Sometimes she doesnt summon them.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Razor’s hold E can kill them decently.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I get why Diona is the way she is, but she can be a little annoying. She's at her best when she's tending the cats like in her hangout.

Klee on the other hand, I didn't like initially but keeps growing on me. Like Paimon did.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

SiKboy posted:

Do you have Fischl? Failing that, use Dionas shield then switch to Lisa (if shes your only ranged electro) so she doesnt get juggled. There are other options (razor can hit them with his skill, you can freeze them) but it depends what characters you have available. I wound up levelling fischl specifically for that fight. The birds are The Worst while you're mid-level and still getting your poo poo together (AKA when you need to fight the oceanid for levelling up stuff the most). Sometimes she doesnt summon them.

Yeah I’m gonna give Lisa another go with either Diona or Noelle for shielding and see if that works.

It’s crazy how much more difficult this fight got with this particular world level increase. All the other bosses just seem tankier with more damage but it’s enough to make the Oceanid birds absolutely ridiculous.

Edit trip report: she dead. Lisa with a shield was the secret sauce, thanks!

Leathal fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 5, 2022

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It really is funny how midgame is where Genshin feels the worst. Also, not coincidentally the point where players start being allowed into Inazuma.

It feels weird, given how much trouble she gave me before, how Zhongli+Keqing+Yanfei with leveled talents and halfway acceptable artifacts make her a breeze at WL6 now.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Lisa was how I got them, I think. If you need to use a shielder it's fine, Lisa just needs to have the elemental mastery to trigger strong electro charge reactions. I think there's a 3* catalyst that's good for this. So you tank up as much as you need to with noelle or diona while lisa runs around taking potshots. You can try collecting some artifacts using an artifact route to level up some trash 3* or 4* of any set that have elemental mastery mainstats if you need more damage.

On future news, we have some new and exciting tech for people that wanna use Nahida and Cyno, but are worried about multiwave content messing up quicken uptime: you just kill everything with Nahida lol

I hope I enjoy playing her because apparently she's kind of a monster onfielder.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I know the kind of player that follows leaks is crazy to start with. But the "multiwave content" meme is absolutely incredible to me. Post after post of people "concerned" that there will be three seconds of aggravate downtime after you kill an enemy and run to the other side of the room to the newly spawned enemies.

Unless they are seriously troubled about Nahida's performance in getting 3000 more points in hyakunin ikki?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 5, 2022

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

The problem is that Nahida is too good, but it's mandatory by genshin leaks law that the new character MUST be doomposted. So you gotta latch onto the smallest "flaw" and hang on for dear life lmao

See also: Yelan being "ruined" by her application being reduced from 1.5U

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just need it to be next week already so I can roll for Nilou and figure out how good she is because it's hard to find anything that isn't doomposting since Nahida's kit was leaked.

Kale
May 14, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

The problem is that Nahida is too good, but it's mandatory by genshin leaks law that the new character MUST be doomposted. So you gotta latch onto the smallest "flaw" and hang on for dear life lmao

See also: Yelan being "ruined" by her application being reduced from 1.5U

Thats just social medias relationship to the game in general. Some random wet behind the ears college student blogger just triggered a ton of people with his bizarre unsourced email correspondence with apparently Hoyoverse with really dumb PR language getting read into way too heavily for what it is. I call it picking away at stuff to fill a narrative.

Very few people seem to have actually read that actual article either and just got their takes from bad second hand drama people. One particularly bad thumbnail turned "No plans to make more content like Spiral Abyss at this time" which on its own could be interpreted so many ways into "We will not make new content" so yeah.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 5, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No Wave posted:

I know the kind of player that follows leaks is crazy to start with. But the "multiwave content" meme is absolutely incredible to me. Post after post of people "concerned" that there will be three seconds of aggravate downtime after you kill an enemy and run to the other side of the room to the newly spawned enemies.

Unless they are seriously troubled about Nahida's performance in getting 3000 more points in hyakunin ikki?

It's specifically only an 'issue' for Cyno and Razor since they lose their burst if you swap to Nahida to reapply her skill. So like if you instagib a pile of hilichurls in 3 seconds you're gonna sit around dendroless for the next 17 seconds. But otoh if you're killing poo poo fast enough with reactions for this to become a problem, you'll easily kill those enemies without reactions too. Unless you have some insane full EM aggravate bulid with no atk or damage bonus and your damage drops off a cliff.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 5, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eimi posted:

I just need it to be next week already so I can roll for Nilou and figure out how good she is because it's hard to find anything that isn't doomposting since Nahida's kit was leaked.
Instant blooms (hyper or bountiful, havent personally wrestled with thoma yet) are overpowered, it's entirely just going to be a question of which mechanic you enjoy playing with more.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 5, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I thought Nilou would be a catalyst user for some reason. :( Being a sword user considerably lowers Nilou's value to me. I have far too many sword/spear users and not enough weapons to go around, people have to share. Swords are the most in-demand weapons because all my billets are going into refinements for the Kageuchi, Iron Sting, and eventually a 2nd Kageuchi. Spear billets are whatever, I crafted an r5 inazuma spear and the other two 4* craftables I don't need.

I have 4 unused unique catalysts, 4 unused unique claymores, and 4 unused unique bows plus plenty of billets for each. Everyone I want uses a sword/spear :argh:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If it makes you feel better you can give nilou a level 1 dull blade and she'll be at 95% of her 4* weapon potential.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I thought Nilou would be a catalyst user for some reason. :( Being a sword user considerably lowers Nilou's value to me. I have far too many sword/spear users and not enough weapons to go around, people have to share. Swords are the most in-demand weapons because all my billets are going into refinements for the Kageuchi, Iron Sting, and eventually a 2nd Kageuchi. Spear billets are whatever, I crafted an r5 inazuma spear and the other two 4* craftables I don't need.

I have 4 unused unique catalysts, 4 unused unique claymores, and 4 unused unique bows plus plenty of billets for each. Everyone I want uses a sword/spear :argh:

Maybe these are my Fire Emblem chops showing but usually dancers seem to be short sword users I've found so it turned out how I figured.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tree Reformat posted:

It really is funny how midgame is where Genshin feels the worst. Also, not coincidentally the point where players start being allowed into Inazuma.

It feels weird, given how much trouble she gave me before, how Zhongli+Keqing+Yanfei with leveled talents and halfway acceptable artifacts make her a breeze at WL6 now.

Yeah the automatic world level increases -especially before you can adjust the level down kinda suck. Once you can say 'wait take it down a notch, the hp inflation isn't fun yet.' You can wind up having to fight stuff +3 or even +13 levels over your current if you're unlucky about what quests you're on, instead of equal to you like you expected.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

No Wave posted:

Instant blooms (hyper or bountiful, havent personally wrestled with thoma yet) are overpowered, it's entirely just going to be a question of which mechanic you enjoy playing with more.

Would someone mind explaining a typical bloom rotation? And is it good in midgame or do you need to be lvl 90 (saw a couple people saying it’s highly level dependent when searching around)?

I pulled Kuki Shinobu who apparently is part of a team with Dendro Traveler, Xingqiu, and Sucrose who are already relatively kitted out for my AR; I’m considering building out Kuki if a bloom comp isn’t some late-game only thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leathal posted:

And is it good in midgame or do you need to be lvl 90 (saw a couple people saying it’s highly level dependent when searching around)?

Flat damage reactions like bloom, hyperbloom, and swirl scale very strongly with your level, but the "level to 90" advice only really applies at endgame levels anyway. If you're in the middle world levels you'll be doing good damage relative to your level as long as you have some elemental mastery and you're keeping up with character levels.

Since you're talking about Kuki Shinobu, that'd be a hyperbloom team, which basically means that after a bloom reaction happens (which creates a little dendro seed thing), you hit the seeds with electro damage and they turn into projectiles that deal a bunch of damage. The main rotation there is to apply both dendro and hydro to enemies to make the blooms happen, then have Shinobu use her elemental skill and burst to turn the blooms into hyperblooms. Shinobu's skill lasts a good while and does AoE electro damage around your active character, so you can use her skill, then switch around to keep applying hydro and dendro and keep making new blooms to convert to hyperblooms.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 5, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Eimi posted:

Nilou is objectively going to suck to use as overworld just because of elemental restriction. Especially the desert which has so many fire puzzles.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Eimi posted:

I had a gigantic post explaining whats up with Nilou but I realized most of it isn't important. Tl:dr Nilou is fine but her special bloom team is waiting for teammates. Also there are no dendro healers so you have to use Kokomi or Barbara due to core damage. Some teammates that would help:

A dendro Xingqiu, to help Nahida maintain a dendro aura for an on-field hydro trigger+healer.
Any dendro healer, so an on-field Nahida can maintain an aura for an off-field hydro trigger.
A healer with high dendro application, so they can be a trigger for a triple hydro team.

Any one of these will help a lot.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Harrow posted:

Flat damage reactions like bloom, hyperbloom, and swirl scale very strongly with your level, but the "level to 90" advice only really applies at endgame levels anyway. If you're in the middle world levels you'll be doing good damage relative to your level as long as you have some elemental mastery and you're keeping up with character levels.

Since you're talking about Kuki Shinobu, that'd be a hyperbloom team, which basically means that after a bloom reaction happens (which creates a little dendro seed thing), you hit the seeds with electro damage and they turn into projectiles that deal a bunch of damage. The main rotation there is to apply both dendro and hydro to enemies to make the blooms happen, then have Shinobu use her elemental skill and burst to turn the blooms into hyperblooms. Shinobu's skill lasts a good while and does AoE electro damage around your active character, so you can use her skill, then switch around to keep applying hydro and dendro and keep making new blooms to convert to hyperblooms.

Awesome write up, thank you!

So in context of the team comp I mentioned, you open with dendro into hydro into electro and then swirl? Or is it hydro into dendro (or does it not matter which happens first)?

Been primarily playing Bennett/Xiangling/XQ/Sucrose w/ Thrilling Tales so I’ve got order of operations stuck in my head.

Edit: oh and would that Thrilling Tales change anything? I have one of the crafted 4 stars I can slap on Sucrose if the Tales buff isn’t relevant for hyperbloom.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 5, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Leathal posted:

Would someone mind explaining a typical bloom rotation? And is it good in midgame or do you need to be lvl 90 (saw a couple people saying it’s highly level dependent when searching around)?

I pulled Kuki Shinobu who apparently is part of a team with Dendro Traveler, Xingqiu, and Sucrose who are already relatively kitted out for my AR; I’m considering building out Kuki if a bloom comp isn’t some late-game only thing.
There's surprisingly little to it - you just want to mix hydro with dendro then touch the seed on the ground with kuki's electro circle while kuki is built for max EM (you may not have found any EM circlets or goblets yet, they are turbo rare).

It will probably be fine at your AR - the reason EM scaling pops off hard from 80 to 90 is to compete with crit scaling that gets wildly better as you get further into AR50+. If you're not working with crit values > 50:100 it should do noticeably decent damage.

I'll be honest I dont understand the point of sucrose in that comp (she doesnt increase seed damage except via her EM boosting passive) but other ppl swear by it so I'll let them explain it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leathal posted:

Awesome write up, thank you!

So in context of the team comp I mentioned, you open with dendro into hydro into electro and then swirl? Or is it hydro into dendro (or does it not matter which happens first)?

Been primarily playing Bennett/Xiangling/XQ/Sucrose w/ Thrilling Tales so I’ve got order of operations stuck in my head.

Interestingly, Sucrose's job here is less about swirling--with the Viridescent Venerer set she can boost hydro and electro damage, but not dendro--and more about Thrilling Tales and also her 4th ascension passive, which provides a hefty EM buff to the rest of the team any time she hits enemies with her skill or burst.

I'm not a real expert on optimal rotations but what I'd do is like: dendro MC burst + skill -> Xingqiu burst + skill -> swirl the hydro with Sucrose (not all that important but it can't hurt) -> Shinobu burst and skill -> switch to Sucrose and use her autoattacks to swirl more while using her skill and burst to keep up the EM buff -> repeat as energy and cooldowns allow

No Wave posted:

I'll be honest I dont understand the point of sucrose in that comp (she doesnt increase seed damage except via her EM boosting passive) but other ppl swear by it so I'll let them explain it.

Sucrose is probably better in a hyperbloom comp that doesn't run Kuki Shinobu, like if you're using Fischl instead. Oz's attacks have a hard time hitting the bloom cores so Fischl won't be triggering hyperblooms herself. Instead, Fischl/Oz applies electro to targets, then Sucrose swirls the electro, and that hits the bloom core. It means you can build Fischl (or whatever non-Shinobu electro you're using) for ATK/crit and leave the EM building to Sucrose.

But she's also not exactly going to get in the way in a Shinobu team, either. She can boost the hydro and electro damage, even if it isn't the main damage source more damage is never a bad thing, and she can boost EM which is always nice. She's not crucial but she'll pull her weight.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 5, 2022

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Much like in the archipelago, after you complete the final quest, some characters pop up in the world, so far I've found:

Sucrose - at a stall on the festival grounds
Venti - up on starsnatch cliff
Lisa - on the balcony of the Good Hunter building

Anyone found anyone else?

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah people like Sucrose because she buffs without getting in the way. Like who else are you gonna use?

Dendro 2 is unnecessary because all the current dendros are mid. Hydro 2 is fine but you already have a healer so it's an unbuffed Ayato/Childe, or a Yelan with no on-fielder. Electro 2 can steal reactions, except Beidou, but Shinobu isn't a good enough battery for her. Pyro bad. Cryo doesn't really do anything in particular, and it's also unbuffed and unshredded. Geo is either Zhongli (and you already have a healer+Xingqiu) or some sort of DPS unit with no geo resonance.

So you're left with anemo by default, and honestly you can just use the one that closest fits your needs at the moment. Sucrose buffs damage and does on-field reaction damage. Venti does Venti stuff. Heizou is fun to punch with. Kazuha, is here too.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
One of important parts about Sucrose even in the Kuki team is that she swirls hydro which gives you AoE hydro application in teams with XQ which gives you more dendro cores.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Turns out Kuki’s ascension materials come from a boss somewhere in the Chasm that I can’t even access until I do some questline.

Seems kinda strange from a game design perspective since I assume you could potentially pull her in the first batch of wishes and be stuck with a single ascension character for like 30 hours with the ingame guide only saying “Complete this Chasm quest for more info”.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Leathal posted:

Turns out Kuki’s ascension materials come from a boss somewhere in the Chasm that I can’t even access until I do some questline.

Seems kinda strange from a game design perspective since I assume you could potentially pull her in the first batch of wishes and be stuck with a single ascension character for like 30 hours with the ingame guide only saying “Complete this Chasm quest for more info”.
A lot of the Inazuma and Sumeru (and presumably further) characters are going to have this problem until the developers figure out a way to mitigate it. Particularly Inazuma and the Chasm, because you can just kinda walk to Sumeru if you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Inazuma might be the worst of it going forward. You can just walk to Sumeru and none of the ascension bosses are gated by the story so far. And I think the rest of the regions to come are on the mainland so you'll probably be able to just walk into them, too.

Inazuma, though, can't be reached in any way other than progressing the story. And some Inazuma characters need you to progress the story even further and do a lengthy side quest on top of it, like Raiden Shogun. I wonder if they'll add an alternative way to get there at some point, or if the issue will just seem smaller as the game goes on and there are more and more regions and characters.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Leathal posted:

Yeah that's a problem with a few Inazuma characters in general and I hope going forward they have fewer characters with ascension materials locked behind stuff like that. At least with Liyue characters you got access to Liyue before you even finish Monstadt. Though I guess if you pulled Cyno today and hadn't gotten to Sumeru you'd have quite a walk ahead of you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Leathal posted:

Yeah, tell me about it. It was closer to 100 hours, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just let you grab a waverider on the mainland and sail to Inazuma whenever you want at some point. It wouldn't make any story sense, but gently caress it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wonder if they'll do anything to make Enkanomiya more accessible when they rerun Shenhe or Yae. Lol if they just rerun them without even trying to guide players to the vishaps. New player? Figure out how to ascend them!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can't even fight the Vishaps until you do the entire Enkanomiya questline, right? Can you fight the Ruin Serpent before you finish the Chasm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I never would have found Enkanomiya on my own. Go talk to this shrine maiden in some random corner of Watatsumi and do this completely undifferentiated world quest! No breadcrumb or anything.