Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
To confirm, my alt account that I used to use to separate my comp SR by role back before role queue was introduced is now worthless right? No way to merge them since they're both PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

comedyblissoption posted:

overwatch league had a woman player and did not need to segregate her into her own league

One out of hundreds AKA the example that proves the rule lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Also, Re: aiming, because it has been way harder to aim in OW2, but also thought maybe I was just getting old or bad at games or something:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/xw23i0/is_it_just_me_or_does_ow2_feel_weird/
ow2 might by default put the game on dynamic render scale which makes everything look blurry and washed out as gently caress so disable that

I also think the visual feedback hitmarkers are very noisy and obnoxious compared to ow1

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Apparently there are also 2 screen shake options you should turn off in the settings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I tried to queue DPS in comp with my brother just now for a couple games but it locked me out from picking that role AND support once my brother locked DPS. I could only pick tank. Why? Lol. I wanna do my DPS placement :colbert:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

I tried to queue DPS in comp with my brother just now for a couple games but it locked me out from picking that role AND support once my brother locked DPS. I could only pick tank. Why? Lol. I wanna do my DPS placement :colbert:
you can't queue within a certain skill rating of a group member depending on skill bracket

this was of course one of the many reasons people created "smurf" accounts in the first place and caused people to throw games on purpose

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm utterly shocked at a lot of these decisions Blizzard is making towards this game. It just seems completely indefensable and utter lunacy to me.

You have to have a mobile phone to play? The game records your audio? Female players will have to prove they're biologically female to compete in female tournaments? I'd really like to sit down with the people who approved this stuff and ask them some polite questions.

And I'm not even getting into the gameplay stuff either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

you can't queue within a certain skill rating of a group member depending on skill bracket

this was of course one of the many reasons people created "smurf" accounts in the first place and caused people to throw games on purpose

Oh, so my brother has to rank up then before I can also queue DPS with him? Because my DPS role needs 6 more wins for placement.

[edit] Or wait, I have to do my placements on DPS first?

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 6, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm utterly shocked at a lot of these decisions Blizzard is making towards this game. It just seems completely indefensable and utter lunacy to me.

You have to have a mobile phone to play? The game records your audio? Female players will have to prove they're biologically female to compete in female tournaments? I'd really like to sit down with the people who approved this stuff and ask them some polite questions.

The last one is just bonkers but I guarantee you the answer to the first two is "we need this game to be as family friendly as a shooter can be and therefore we are recording to see if you say one (1) swear and if you do then the account associated with your phone number will be banned, good luck lmao"

Honestly I don't really see it as that big of a deal. I kind of already assumed that voice chat was being stored in a lot of these games because how else would you ban people for screaming racial slurs? And while it's dumb as poo poo to ban people with prepaid plans from accessing things it's not unprecedented because in a lot of asian server games you basically have the same thing for the same reason. It's largest issue that they made the verification system *so* poo poo that people aren't even able to use the system *with their own phone numbers*.

I mean, I paid ten dollars to something awful dot com knowing that if I got banned then I would have to buy my way back from it, I'm a soft sell for surveillance state bans for poo poo behavior.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 6, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You have to have a mobile phone to play? The game records your audio?
probably the only feasible way to ban toxic/racist screechers imho

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Emongg's 5-stack trying out to figure out who can queue what role is hilarious.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrispyMildSnakeVoteNay-x_-O9lq-3BO6e0Zq

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The phone requirement and audio recording ones are arguably good if you care about smurfing, cheating, or having consequences for abusive voice chat.

My GF and another female friend have had rape threats and all sorts of horrible poo poo said to them in voice chat and if they don't record and transcribe those interactions there is no way to action a report. I'm glad they're going this direction.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

probably the only feasible way to ban toxic/racist screechers imho

Or you could just mute and report them. That doesn't require tremendous resources or questionable design decisions that can be used for financial analytics.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Or you could just mute and report them. That doesn't require tremendous resources or questionable design decisions that can be used for financial analytics.

Report them for what? You claim they were toxic but you have no proof unless voice chat can be listened to. All you can do at that point is wait for waves of reports to come in and ban whoever gets enough of them.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I believe csgo has had a phone requirement to play ranked for years and guess what doesnt stop the hackers

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

A report system without any way to verify the reports would lead to abuse and false bans. With the transcripts they get flagged on report and someone can read the toxic chat and take action.

I'm tired of "mute and move on". That's just passing the buck to the next team these assholes queue into. I want it recorded and actioned. There's no expectation of privacy in the public in game comms. Take off your tinfoil hat.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So is this playable on Xbox yet? I seem to just be stuck in a queue that doesn’t move.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

leftist heap posted:

So is this playable on Xbox yet? I seem to just be stuck in a queue that doesn’t move.

No

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

leftist heap posted:

Yes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DrBox posted:

A report system without any way to verify the reports would lead to abuse and false bans. With the transcripts they get flagged on report and someone can read the toxic chat and take action.

I'm tired of "mute and move on". That's just passing the buck to the next team these assholes queue into. I want it recorded and actioned. There's no expectation of privacy in the public in game comms. Take off your tinfoil hat.

as well, the experience of constantly bumping into people who you have to actively mute when they start screaming slurs or death threats at you over voice is incredibly draining and actively chases people away from playing, which was a significant issue in OW1

expecting your playerbase to be made of stone and simply mute toxic players and return to playing in a zen-like state like nothing happened isn't a proper way to run a multiplayer game

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nelson Mandingo posted:

These companies really don't want to hire 100 or so people and devote an office in their giant HQ building to verifying reports and policing the game, do they. In the 80s or 90s, it would essentially be mandatory, but just automating certain parts of the process and saving on the human factor at the expense of being less accurate is the way to go to squeeze out slightly more profit.

DrBox posted:

You say "would lead to abuse and false bans" in the potential sense, not as if Blizzard (and every other tech company, Youtube, etc) engage in this practice already.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

These companies really don't want to hire 100 or so people and devote an office in their giant HQ building to verifying reports and policing the game, do they. In the 80s or 90s, it would essentially be mandatory, but just automating certain parts of the process and saving on the human factor at the expense of being less accurate is the way to go to squeeze out slightly more profit.

"some guys in an office" works as a strategy when you have a manageable volume of daily reports, but it will categorically not work for a game of overwatch's size and scale

riot had a blog update regarding their own report automation plans wherein they mention that, across their games, they get something in the range of 3 billion reports a year. overwatch will obviously not get quite that many, but there's simply no option except to automate it if you want reports addressed in anything resembling a timely manner when voice is added in to the mix

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vermain posted:

"some guys in an office" works as a strategy when you have a manageable volume of daily reports, but it will categorically not work for a game of overwatch's size and scale

riot had a blog update regarding their own report automation plans wherein they mention that, across their games, they get something in the range of 3 billion reports a year. overwatch will obviously not get quite that many, but there's simply no option except to automate it if you want reports addressed in anything resembling a timely manner when voice is added in to the mix

I would say that part of the reason why so many reports accumulate is *because* the automation systems require a certain level of reports to be taken seriously. Someone who does something bannable isn't banned for months, all while accumulating additional reports in the mean time. I'd say that doing reporting this way would probably reduce total reports as a result, but I guess we'll see.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vermain posted:

I'd like to think there is some level of "we do this because we can get away with it" when it comes to toxic behavior in games, though. When companies start automating poo poo, less people overall get banned, which leads to more people being lovely. Also, punishing false reports would be a thing. Suddenly, 3 billion reports goes down to hundreds of millions, or less. Riot has that whole community review thing, where players are fed reports to review, right? I don't really play any of their games, but that actually sounds kinda cool.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

BabyRyoga posted:

You say "would lead to abuse and false bans" in the potential sense, not as if Blizzard (and every other tech company, Youtube, etc) engage in this practice already.

I'm not sure what you mean. There are two options.

1. A player gets reported for abusive chat. Blizzard has no way to know of this was real or not so they wait for some arbitrary number of reports to finally take action. Still no way to know if a ban is justified.

2. A player gets reported for abusive chat. The in game voice was recorded and transcribed to text. They can either automate bans for certain words or flag it for someone to spend 30 seconds reading the transcript and take the appropriate action.

I vote for 2.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I will say my OW1 reports very often resulted in a message a few days later saying someone I reported received action against their account. I believe the OW1 system only worked off text though, so there wasn't much you could do with players that were only being terrible in voice. If they're able to expand whatever text report automation they used to voice reporting, I actually think it has a chance of being a decent system.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nelson Mandingo posted:

oh yeah, the thing that we’ve all been doing for twenty years that keeps getting worse? totally.

just because a problem doesn’t affect you personally doesn’t mean it isn’t a huge problem.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would say that part of the reason why so many reports accumulate is *because* the automation systems require a certain level of reports to be taken seriously.

hence the switch to newer style systems that are intended to use machine learning to be able to detect toxicity in gameplay/voice/etc., with the idea being that you can rely on a single report that the system derives a positive from instead of having to reach a critical threshhold before a human looks at it

obviously, this is fraught with the usual complications of machine learning and automated ambiguity (e.g. people with thick accents are probably gonna get dinged with false positives a lot), and i don't know enough about the tech to say if it's relatively bulletproof or if it can be defeated with filters to fuzz your voice enough to throw the algorithm off, but it's an active area of research and implementation for some of the world's largest multiplayer gaming companies for a good reason

BabyRyoga posted:

Riot has that whole community review thing, where players are fed reports to review, right?

the tribunal got axed years back due to unresolvable complications, with the main one being that it was difficult to incentivize people to review the reports in a way that didn't result in them just mindlessly clicking through to get their reward

nowadays, it's mostly automated systems that are used to detect toxicity and the like in chat, but they've been refining their systems for a while now to also be able to detect more ambiguous behaviour like intentional feeding, attempting to skirt AFK detection, and other stuff that's harder for a human to review given both average game length and the necessary context surrounding that player (having a really unusually bad game vs. having a history of running it down)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 6, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrBox posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. There are two options.

I mean that a lot of tech companies just ban people automatically when communities of other people brigade and mass report things. You see it in youtuber and twitch streamer drama all the time. You pretty much can't go a week or two without some higher profile youtuber in some category of content creation getting a video flagged for "nudity" or something when it's clear there isn't any in the video. Transcribing is better for sure, but it still does definitely need human review. Ideally, a human should check the transcript AND listen to the original for actual verification to account for accents/etc.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

BabyRyoga posted:

I mean that a lot of tech companies just ban people automatically when communities of other people brigade and mass report things. You see it in youtuber and twitch streamer drama all the time. You pretty much can't go a week or two without some higher profile youtuber in some category of content creation getting a video flagged for "nudity" or something when it's clear there isn't any in the video. Transcribing is better for sure, but it still does definitely need human review. Ideally, a human should check the transcript AND listen to the original for actual verification to account for accents/etc.

Oh, yeah. I agree with you. If it's all purely automated it might still have issues but that's another reason I'm in favor of the transcripts. In the event of an automated ban they can read the transcript on appeal.

No matter what it's better than the nothing they had before for voice chat.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Are cosmetics tied to your linked Battle.net account? I got into a server and I'm level 1 with nothing unlocked and no currency.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 6, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BabyRyoga posted:

Riot has that whole community review thing, where players are fed reports to review, right? I don't really play any of their games, but that actually sounds kinda cool.
after 20 years on this forum, i cannot recommend leaving community enforcement in your zillion-dollar video game title up to a bunch of volunteer hall monitors.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Dick Jones posted:

Are cosmetics tied to your linked Battle.net account? I got into a server and I'm level 1 with nothing unlocked and no currency.

Theoretically yes. Are you on console and did you merge your account?

Edit: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824001/cross-progression-is-coming-to-overwatch-2-account-merge-faq/

Not sure how well it works right now with the servers on fire.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

Theoretically yes. Are you on console and did you merge your account?

Edit: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824001/cross-progression-is-coming-to-overwatch-2-account-merge-faq/

Not sure how well it works right now with the servers on fire.

I'm on PS4 but I haven't merged my account yet. I see the merge option there at the bottom in the OW2 main menu but when I select it, nothing happens. I just hear a little UI noise.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Dick Jones posted:

I'm on PS4 but I haven't merged my account yet. I see the merge option there at the bottom in the OW2 main menu but when I select it, nothing happens. I just hear a little UI noise.

I play in PC so I haven't gone through the merge stuff but read through the FAQ in that link and see if it helps. Specifically this might do it?

How do I link my console account to Battle.net if it wasn’t automatically detected?
Here are the steps you can take to merge your console account to a battle.net account:

1. Login to Overwatch from your console account.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts to scan a QR Code on your mobile phone.
3. Enter the code displayed on your console to connect to or create your Blizzard Battle.net Account.
4. Once complete, you will be prompted to confirm your account upon the next game login to merge your accounts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For anyone else curious, I bought $5 worth of coins on Switch and they don't show up on PC, so coins bought with real monies on whatever platform aren't available on others. Coins earned in-game through challenges are though.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

I play in PC so I haven't gone through the merge stuff but read through the FAQ in that link and see if it helps. Specifically this might do it?

How do I link my console account to Battle.net if it wasn’t automatically detected?
Here are the steps you can take to merge your console account to a battle.net account:

1. Login to Overwatch from your console account.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts to scan a QR Code on your mobile phone.
3. Enter the code displayed on your console to connect to or create your Blizzard Battle.net Account.
4. Once complete, you will be prompted to confirm your account upon the next game login to merge your accounts.

I linked my Battle.net account and console OW profile way back when cross play was added. Hopefully it's just a server glitch that gets cleared up over the next week. The thing that scared me was that I played a match and earned some XP. Hopefully that little chunk of XP I won doesn't overwrite my whole history.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Dick Jones posted:

I linked my Battle.net account and console OW profile way back when cross play was added. Hopefully it's just a server glitch that gets cleared up over the next week. The thing that scared me was that I played a match and earned some XP. Hopefully that little chunk of XP I won doesn't overwrite my whole history.

Do you have all the characters unlocked? If you do, then it's probably just a glitch. Hope it works out.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Yesterday I had the base new player characters, now I have all of them unlocked. It'll fix itsself eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

After playing a few more rounds, I think DPS life is going to be "play your role" with the new system. If you're playing someone like Soldier 76 or a similar hitscan hero then your role is in the back line, and that's a *strict* role. There's no more pushing up for daring moves, because the tanks can just DPS you down easily. You have to stay in your optimal range, even if it means losing objective progress, because you're just going to be mincemeat otherwise. Even healers have more DPS pushing potential than some DPSes because of their increased sustain.