Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sugar water is the perfect touch there, speaking from experience of trying to deal with the consequences of “sugary liquid in electronics”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
hey i spilled syrup on my laptop keyboard can you fix it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

hey i spilled syrup on my laptop keyboard can you fix it

yes, that’s going to be about 4 grand to buy you a new laptop because this one is definitely hosed, sugar water being corrosive. if you didn’t clean it right away by drenching the entire thing in IPA (not the bubbly kind), the question of its demise is a matter of when, rather than if

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My parents dumped a glass of wine in their MacBook Air and got told by the Apple Store that a new one was cheaper than repairing it, they gave me the broken one and I got it fixed with a new keyboard from eBay.

I like using it because whenever it spins up the fan you still get a nice fruity smell from the air vents after several years.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

r u ready to WALK posted:

My parents dumped a glass of wine in their MacBook Air and got told by the Apple Store that a new one was cheaper than repairing it, they gave me the broken one and I got it fixed with a new keyboard from eBay.

I like using it because whenever it spins up the fan you still get a nice fruity smell from the air vents after several years.

ah yes the terroir of cupertino

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

champagne posting posted:

ah yes the terroir of shenzhen

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
center stage is on newer ios devices (the cinema display is an ios device, lol)

it looks all floaty and weird. i dont like it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

center stage is on newer ios devices (the cinema display is an ios device, lol)

it looks all floaty and weird. i dont like it

If it's anything like those office cameras that try to focus on the person speaking then I'd have to pass on it. I find them kind of annoying.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

akadajet posted:

If it's anything like those office cameras that try to focus on the person speaking then I'd have to pass on it. I find them kind of annoying.

it's definitely smoother than what the cameras in our conference rooms do, but I'm still not a fan

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's one of the three things using the ai/ml hardware though so it is very important it is there

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

used my crapple watch to find my phone which got buried in the sofa

thank u tim

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Plorkyeran posted:

it's definitely smoother than what the cameras in our conference rooms do, but I'm still not a fan

yeah it's better than some implementations i've seen, but it's still definitely not great. having the focal point of a video constantly shifting in a pretty unnatural way looks, well... unnatural, lol. framing it with your own hands (or stationary, with a macbook/cinema display) has a much better look to it, since people are already familiar with the way that works

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thank u tim

one of the best features, really

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Casual Encountess posted:

i actually dont really understand why you are trying to write emails on your watch??? what time are you saving with that? like any kind of interaction besides a tap or two is too much interaction for using a tiny wrist screen. this is not a second smartphone and do not treat it as such

I manage to bill 80 hours a week while working maybe 20 by responding immediately to every client communication, pretty much any time of day. The watch was perfect for filtering those comms, and replying to emails with Siri worked very well, overall it was a much better experience than clutching my phone 16 hours a day.

Unfortunately I found myself having to reach for my phone too many times to make the watch worth it to me personally. It’s not a second smartphone but it’s a perfect pager, and with a few updates from Microsoft it would be an ideal walkie-talkie for my enterprise clients.

I wish I could be using Google Wave or whatever bespoke artisanal mail and chat systems they’re using in the valley, but honestly they’re just a commodity for me to generate billables with so who cares.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internaut! posted:

I manage to bill 80 hours a week while working maybe 20 by responding immediately to every client communication, pretty much any time of day.

i've been doing this for years and it's mostly given me some weird anxiety issues wrt notification on my phone.

a lot of money, too, but idk if i'd say it's worth it exactly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

idk if i would describe myself as “working 20 hours per day” if i had to keep my brain wired for 8-12am work conversations monday through friday

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk if i would describe myself as “working 20 hours per day” if i had to keep my brain wired for 8-12am work conversations monday through friday

lmao wow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

shots fired

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

yeah it’s probably seven days a week

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i meant to say 20 hours per week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if yall have to work that hard to answer simple questions and such after the saintly hour of 5 pm you may not be in the correct line of work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i meant to say 20 hours per week

lol it was clear

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

if yall have to work that hard to answer simple questions and such after the saintly hour of 5 pm you may not be in the correct line of work

i don’t have to work hard on most of the replies i give to someone at work - im just adamantly against work questions distracting me from my life at the rates ive been paid up until now. my current place can reach me synchronously only between 1pm and 5pm monday through thursday, and for anything outside of that it’ll have to be serious enough to warrant an sre pager alarm or a phone call, since i work on a computer dedicated exclusively to that, and no work related comms are installed on anything else

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok well i was kind of taking the piss but since you walloftexted, you originally said 'keeping your brain wired' instead of 'i dont do work things after hours'. I don't answer poo poo between 6pm and 6am either but i could if it was needed

distinction noted

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i tend to guard my short term memory/ongoing thoughts, and will go for runs or yoga or something at the end of working hours to “flush” it, which works well enough for me that any work business after that will be a notable interruption to my daily flow

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah i'm also hard out when i'm out of hours, that american style always contactable on call poo poo is insanely toxic and damaging and 100% for suckers and a major factor in some issues me and plenty of people i know have had. it's nice to feel needed but the healthy way to get that feeling is a pet, not a company so poorly managed it can't handle being without you for 64 hours

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
/shrug yeah im a sucker. a sucker for MONEY

tbf i have only been pinged once in 5.5 months at this job, its chill. but i do have every-3-weekend oncall shifts, 7a to 11p. its fine, nothing ever happens. small companies dont give you the luxury of telling them to gently caress off

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

six months ago i would've wondered why you didn't just go work for a big company that would pay you more and work you less. does the lottery ticket still have decent odds?

but i mean now we're all kinda stuck where we are until hiring goes back to normal so 🤷‍♀️

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

six months ago i would've wondered why you didn't just go work for a big company that would pay you more and work you less. does the lottery ticket still have decent odds?

but i mean now we're all kinda stuck where we are until hiring goes back to normal so 🤷‍♀️

i came from a big company. it was boring as gently caress and the last raise was insulting and my manager pulled a serious poo poo move wrt my career track

this is at least interesting. if we get bought, i get to quit tech forever and go do woodworking. if it fails, i'm still gonna quit tech forever, i'll just get a woodworking job. YOU CANNOT LOSE

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
24h on call for a week at a time every six weeks was one of the worst loving things I've had to do. not only because of the disruption to my personal time and sleep schedule but because half of the standby pay went straight into my liver.

I will never do on-call again so long as I can help it unless someone's offering me a green card, deece six figgies and change, relocation coverage to seattle, and a generous work from home policy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gotcha, nice!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

/shrug yeah im a sucker. a sucker for MONEY

money: its good to have

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rotor posted:

money: its good to have

nah

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it's good to spend

but if you wanna keep comfortably spending it, you gotta get more somehow, usually

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

youd have to pay me insane money to even check my email outside work hours

like quadruple at least

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Carthag Tuek posted:

youd have to pay me insane money to even check my email outside work hours

like quadruple at least

million bucks a day, and if they find anyone cheaper i'm happy for them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

million bucks a day, and if they find anyone cheaper i'm happy for them

in fact, i am here - $1000/hour, minimum billable increment of 2 hours

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

id be lying if it is gonna be anything but pure vanity purchase, but i also do want a really good machine dedicated to my adobe stuff as i'm starting to do more work in there for my stream and youtube and such.

what do you use to record? OBS? and then premier? ever used da vinci whatever it’s called?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thank u tim

find my iphone isn’t good enough

my
son loses his phone kinda often, and if you go to find mt iphone and the phone is now flat, it won’t tell you where it last saw it, it just says it can’t find it. why can’t it tell me where it last saw it? hosed mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

what do you use to record? OBS? and then premier? ever used da vinci whatever it’s called?

davinci resolve