Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CuddleCryptid posted:

After playing a few more rounds, I think DPS life is going to be "play your role" with the new system. If you're playing someone like Soldier 76 or a similar hitscan hero then your role is in the back line, and that's a *strict* role. There's no more pushing up for daring moves, because the tanks can just DPS you down easily. You have to stay in your optimal range, even if it means losing objective progress, because you're just going to be mincemeat otherwise. Even healers have more DPS pushing potential than some DPSes because of their increased sustain.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The only toxicity i've had in quickplay so far is a healer on my team telling me to "get off reinhardt" when I had top damage and like 20k shielded and 3 big slams. I think he's not meta or something. What's competitive like with the scoreboard and 1 tank situation?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mean if you can 1v1 tanks with a ranged DPS up close then good for you but the scoreboard says most people don't

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

After playing a few more rounds, I think DPS life is going to be "play your role" with the new system. If you're playing someone like Soldier 76 or a similar hitscan hero then your role is in the back line, and that's a *strict* role. There's no more pushing up for daring moves, because the tanks can just DPS you down easily. You have to stay in your optimal range, even if it means losing objective progress, because you're just going to be mincemeat otherwise. Even healers have more DPS pushing potential than some DPSes because of their increased sustain.

it is literally the opposite of this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean if you can 1v1 tanks with a ranged DPS up close then good for you but the scoreboard says most people don't

if you are taking a side push as DPS you're not going after the tank in the front line :bravo:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

Do you have all the characters unlocked? If you do, then it's probably just a glitch. Hope it works out.

So far in OW2 I've unlocked Genji, but I got scared and stopped playing in case I was writing a new server side playercosmetics_earned.dat file under my Battle.net ID.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

if you are taking a side push as DPS you're not going after the tank in the front line :bravo:

I mean yeah if you don't fight the enemy on the objective then they can't kill you in this objective based shootergame we are playing.

I'm not saying it's a definitive change, I'm saying it's what I've seen from being in matches, and DPSes are by and large getting soaked by tanks.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

DPS die every time 1v1 a tank and teams fold every time the DPS just hangs back and attacks tanks. its more than ever a game of playmaking now

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
still love Lucio and Lijang tower

just skating around the walls on the point forever healing and speeding for the whole round

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The game is a lot flankier now. No more goats style death ball vs death ball. If you're soldier you want to be looking for angles and picks, not padding stats by shooting at tanks from the back. This is one way where the scoreboard does a bad job of incentivizing optimal play. I was in a game where people were being lovely to our Genji because his damage was low, but he was mainly flanking around and getting picks on the healers to allow us to move forward rather than just spam M1 into a Roadhog.

Dick Jones posted:

So far in OW2 I've unlocked Genji, but I got scared and stopped playing in case I was writing a new server side playercosmetics_earned.dat file under my Battle.net ID.

That sounds like a brand new account then, not an OW1 account moving over. If you log in tomorrow and you still are not able to play the characters you normally would then you probably have to sort something out.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 6, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

CuddleCryptid posted:

What version of OW1 were you playing where you could run up to enemy tanks in front of your team as soldier and not get melted?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean yeah if you don't fight the enemy on the objective then they can't kill you in this objective based shootergame we are playing.

so your point is that it is now impossible to flank? in which case, again, no

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Kiriko just looks like a Summer Matsuri skin for tracer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Splinter posted:

What version of OW1 were you playing where you could run up to enemy tanks in front of your team as soldier and not get melted?

I mean we all played the game where the focus was damage mitigation with shields and sustain, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Kiriko just looks like a Summer Matsuri skin for tracer.

This is my only real criticism so far. Some of the new characters don't have very good silhuouettes and aren't quickly identifiable, doubly so with the skins.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The shorter time between games in QP is making the game feel way more addictive. I was on this morning before work and two games in a row I was going to quit by the next game loaded so quick I just kept playing. It really helps with the "one more!" feeling when you're not waiting long. Before I would just leave game and reque but now there's no need.

Bottom Liner posted:

This is my only real criticism so far. Some of the new characters don't have very good silhuouettes and aren't quickly identifiable, doubly so with the skins.

They want to sell skins so probably would never do this, but I would like a stock skin only setting.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A company with a diversity scoring system made the most white-washed "japanese" character imaginable.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, I finally got in and was able to play nearly six full games before disconnecting.

- Sojourn is so loving fun. I think watching so many hours of OWL this season gave me a good sense of positioning and approach with her that I just don't have with any other hitscan, and I think I was getting a kill with a majority of my charged rail shots (not when I ulted and would panic at the sudden power, lol). I'm not Great with her, but I felt very impactful and the charging mechanic felt really satisfying. One win, one probable close loss (disconnected).

- Both of my games as a tank felt great. I felt adequately supported with heals in a way that I almost never did in OW1, and I felt like I could swing control of a fight as long as we weren't down two or more people. I did a round as Dva and another as Reinhardt; it never gets old just deleting Zenyatta as Dva, and getting back-to-back kills with firestrike as Rein was awesome. Two wins.

- My experience as a support was pretty rough. I did a full game of Kiriko and, although there were a couple of fun moments, I had about half as much damage as the third-place finisher and maybe 40% as much healing as the Mercy, so I think I was Extremely Unhelpful. I don't think I have the aim to do well with her. I did a game as Ana and Zen; Ana felt fine but I was pounding on Zen; that was great. One loss, one draw.

- I really like Push as a game mode. It's hectic and felt energetic in a way that 2CP never did.

- I haven't tried Junker Queen yet, but I hate how indistinct her silhouette is; it's hard to tell that she's a tank. Her design needs to be more bulky somehow.

- Sure would be nice if the game recognized that I did, in fact, buy the Watchpoint pack weeks ago.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 6, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

surf rock posted:

- My experience as a support was pretty rough. I did a full game of Kiriko and, although there were a couple of fun moments, I had about half as much damage as the third-place finisher and maybe 40% as much healing as the Mercy, so I think I was Extremely Unhelpful

I'm really noticing the difference between a good and bad Kiriko. I stopped picking her because my mechanical skill just is not that high and I find I'm more impactful on almost any other support. A well played Kiriko is awesome though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DrBox posted:

I'm really noticing the difference between a good and bad Kiriko. I stopped picking her because my mechanical skill just is not that high and I find I'm more impactful on almost any other support. A well played Kiriko is awesome though.

i forgot i could wall climb for a whole match so ill just stick with Moira and Lucio

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

BabyRyoga posted:

A company with a diversity scoring system made the most white-washed "japanese" character imaginable.

What are you looking for here? Thick accented voice lines? They literally made every ability tie-in to her ~Japanese heritage~.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Notched 7 more wins as JQ, went up from Silver 5 to Silver 2 lets goooooo. The climb is real, lmao.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrBox posted:

What are you looking for here? Thick accented voice lines? They literally made every ability tie-in to her ~Japanese heritage~.

Not a character that looks like the twin sister of a British character from the same game.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Got back in and did one more game for the night on Sojourn. My team dominated on New Queen Street and completed the map with four minutes left. I realized that I'm maaaaaaaybe self-sabotaging on hitscan by always moving. I tried just finding a good sightline with a bit of cover in the back and triggered my ult, then aimed and fired without moving. Four straight headshots/kills before I missed one. I'm a console player and that has not happened in ~390 hours of Overwatch played since 2016.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Rein is actually fun to play now holy poo poo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyone know what's up with this? we definitely are not in different versions of overwatch, the version numbers are identical + we connected in the same bnet region

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Anyone know what's up with this? we definitely are not in different versions of overwatch, the version numbers are identical + we connected in the same bnet region

queued via a diff region

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

queued via a diff region
how do I change it?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

how do I change it?

i just had it happen and we were definitely in the same region, try /invite per a suggestion earlier in the thread

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I want a thick accent on Kiriko, and all the characters. Make em all Junker Queen

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Kiriko's japanese accent is fine. But her white accent is too white. I guess? I dunno, something just feels way off.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

surf rock posted:

- I haven't tried Junker Queen yet, but I hate how indistinct her silhouette is; it's hard to tell that she's a tank. Her design needs to be more bulky somehow.

Yeah, I keep wasting time shooting her because she looks like a squishy character in the middle of a chaotic team fight.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I dislike the sound effect from getting a barrier from Kiriko, it is very disrupting for some reason.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

socialsecurity posted:

I dislike the sound effect from getting a barrier from Kiriko, it is very disrupting for some reason.

Just mute and report

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hashy posted:

i just had it happen and we were definitely in the same region, try /invite per a suggestion earlier in the thread

that worked, thank you

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

DrBox posted:

lol 3 japanese characters in a row that are ninja gangsters

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Isn't that what she literally is, according to her bio? Slight warp of the gangster part

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm loving junker queens awful accent. If you told me the voice actor was a seppo I'd believe you but she's australian. I desperately hope that there's a lore dump where it turns out JQ is from burbank or something and is just desperately affecting the accent

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I just learned that doomfist can get graved and tank an entire hanzo dragon and kiri head shotting him on his own cooldowns. That's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

with mystical spirit powers in a setting which has no magic