Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Sirius XM, a service I never use, has moved on from mailing me letters to having scammer sounding people call me.

This may be reason enough to never buy a ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forget if I mentioned it but my wife cancelled her Sirius and now they are offering it to her for free for months at a time

Offers so good sounding that they are Super sketchy

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I rented a car that didn't have an xm subscription but the UI was such that after being tuned, channels would stop playing after you acknowledge the "SUBSCRIPTION EXPIRED" pop-up. Didn't take me long to figure out the flaw with that one.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Edit: took pic out bc I'm a dumb dumb that left her address in it

Okay, so maybe not a scam like MLMs or robocalls about the IRS and such, but what's the angle here? Got this in the mail today.

I was a paying Cox customer for years before we moved into an apartment with free wifi, and they sure aren't offering free internet for poor people if they aren't getting something out of it, if my experience with them is worth anything.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 5, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's just a weasel-y way to get you to sign up for a service at a really good introductory rate ($0) then charge you the normal rate a short time later.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FYI your address is visible in that picture.

As to if it's a scam or not, ISP's have been for decades getting their arms twisted by the government to offer affordable internet options to low income households. From the fine print I can see on the flyer, it sounds like you apply through Cox's "Affordable Connectivity Program" and based on your income get some kind of credit back on your bill, which can be up to the full amount of what your internet package costs but probably isn't unless you're absolutely destitute. Also even if your plan costs $30 and you get the full $30 credit you still probably end up paying them something because of taxes and the dumb fees ISP's love to tack on to their bills.

Also yeah, it's probably also a limited time entry rate and after 12 months or whatever they transition you to the "standard" price which is in triple digits.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ACP is through the same federal program as Lifeline for phones. It's not a scam, but not everyone gets full coverage. I get a $30 credit toward my internet bill through it, with Comcast.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sydin posted:

FYI your address is visible in that picture.

Dammit, and of all the threads. Thanks for the heads up. Though there is no Apt #4 here, lol.

Thanks for all the replies! About what I figured. I'll stick with my stodgy but free wifi.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I got caught by a car rental place today when I assumed the “standard” coverage was what came with the rental, and the “premium” coverage was additional.

Oh no. The “standard” coverage was also additional, and I didn’t figure that out until I was looking at an itemized statement while waiting for the car because trying to get through renting a car with a family waiting to start their vacation fun has a lot of cognitive overhead.

Common cons/scams: anything having to do with vacation.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Blue Moonlight posted:

I got caught by a car rental place today when I assumed the “standard” coverage was what came with the rental, and the “premium” coverage was additional.

Oh no. The “standard” coverage was also additional, and I didn’t figure that out until I was looking at an itemized statement while waiting for the car because trying to get through renting a car with a family waiting to start their vacation fun has a lot of cognitive overhead.

Common cons/scams: anything having to do with vacation.

Your regular car insurance probably covers everything on a rental that their special upsell insurance does. If you paid for your rental on a credit card, your credit card might have extra insurance as well.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's a lot less common for non travel specific cards to carry car rental insurance these days so don't just assume. Made that mistake on my last trip though it luckily didn't end up mattering.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Job hunting is impossible right now. I have to answer all incoming calls in case they’re a job. It’s never a job. It’s always a scam.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ghost emoji posted:

Job hunting is impossible right now. I have to answer all incoming calls in case they’re a job. It’s never a job. It’s always a scam.

Thankfully most of the people I've had to deal with this round communicated with me through LinkedIn, email, and then scheduled video calls, but yeah, I have to wonder if I've missed anything important because my phone filter said "Scam Likely" was calling.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I've gotten a couple calls recently trying to give me a replacement Medicare plan I think (I'm 37 and not on Medicare). I just pretend to be an addled old man asking why they keep rejecting my claim for having the lump on my testicle examined. Initially they have a recorded voice that connects me to an obvious foreign call center. Not having navigated the Medicare waters for me or a family member, is there any possible legitimacy to this, as in could it be an actual company capable of receiving Medicare payments or is it 100% scam territory?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I've gotten a couple calls recently trying to give me a replacement Medicare plan I think (I'm 37 and not on Medicare). I just pretend to be an addled old man asking why they keep rejecting my claim for having the lump on my testicle examined. Initially they have a recorded voice that connects me to an obvious foreign call center. Not having navigated the Medicare waters for me or a family member, is there any possible legitimacy to this, as in could it be an actual company capable of receiving Medicare payments or is it 100% scam territory?

100% scam

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My parents own property in Phoenix, and I keep getting calls from idiot "real estate investors" wanting to buy it, since I have the same name as my dad.

Usually, I just let Android screen them out as spam (which it's very good at), but I got a series of them that went through and left basically the same message, so they were obviously reading from the same script.

The next time they called, I pretended to be super interested in selling the place (and negotiated them up about $30k from where they started) and then said I too was very interested in learning to invest in real estate, and got the name of the get rich quick scheme that had clearly put my name and number on a list.

At that point (I'd wasted maybe a half hour), I told the guy that he had the wrong person, and I couldn't actually sell him poo poo, but did thank him for letting me know who to report for multiple do not call violations, and reporting the parent scam seems to have totally stopped the calls.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

azflyboy posted:

My parents own property in Phoenix, and I keep getting calls from idiot "real estate investors" wanting to buy it, since I have the same name as my dad.

Usually, I just let Android screen them out as spam (which it's very good at), but I got a series of them that went through and left basically the same message, so they were obviously reading from the same script.

The next time they called, I pretended to be super interested in selling the place (and negotiated them up about $30k from where they started) and then said I too was very interested in learning to invest in real estate, and got the name of the get rich quick scheme that had clearly put my name and number on a list.

At that point (I'd wasted maybe a half hour), I told the guy that he had the wrong person, and I couldn't actually sell him poo poo, but did thank him for letting me know who to report for multiple do not call violations, and reporting the parent scam seems to have totally stopped the calls.

Nice work! Who was it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ghost emoji posted:

Any legit call would leave a voicemail.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Frazzbo posted:

Nice work! Who was it?
Yeah, I was thinking this is one situation where doxxing is just fine.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Frazzbo posted:

Nice work! Who was it?

It was something called "Lifestyles Unlimited", which seems to do the typical "free seminar on real estate investing, which is used to push $6000 memberships" thing.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Just got this text at 12:14 AM on a Thursday night and I think it hits every red flag there is.

quote:

Hi, My name is Rodney. I received your phone number from care.com, can you work from HOME as a Personal Assistant to help with my errands? I work at General Atlantic with a focus on both local and international businesses, the majority of my clients are out of state and out of the country. I require assistance because I am frequently out of State. I'm currently on a business trip to Toronto, Canada. I'll pay you ahead of time to complete my shopping, pay my bills, and have some products delivered to the orphanage. The hours are flexible and can be done at your convenient time. In addition, I will provide you with sufficient funds and detailed instructions for each work. Payment will be via Bank Certified Check from my US Bank. You will be paid 730 USD each week for 4 hours of service. Please respond with your

*Full Name:
*Full Address (with Apt/Suite#):
*City, State & Zip Code:
*Current Occupation:
*Are you clean from a felony?
*Email:

I’ll send more details via EMAIL on the first thing to do for me as soon as I receive your information. Thanks

I don’t even have a care.com account…

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Wow you're willing to just give those poor orphans the finger huh

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The SA Forums > Ask/Tell > Tell me about common cons/scams: complete my shopping, pay my bills, and have some products delivered to the orphanage.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

My older uncle says he was hacked. He said his iPhone had outbound calls disabled. Has anyone heard of that happening?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

bort posted:

My older uncle says he was hacked. He said his iPhone had outbound calls disabled. Has anyone heard of that happening?

his iphone wasn't hacked, no

he should just take it to his carrier, either he did something weird in his settings or his carrier screwed something up

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bort posted:

Has he been paying his bill?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Volmarias posted:

Has he been paying his bill?

This was my first thought too. They'll cut off your ability to rack up a bill if you haven't been paying it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sometimes SIM cards just poo poo the bed. Never happened to me on an iPhone yet but I had to get a new SIM for a Nexus 4 once.

E: Also uh, he has restarted it right?

E2: How is SMS inbound/outbound? Can he receive calls but not place them? When he tries to place a call, does he get an error to the effect of “network error/no carrier” or does it forward him to customer service (lol pay your bill)? For that matter, what does it say in the upper right where ATT/Cricket/Verizon/etc is supposed to be?

If you gather the answers to these questions in advance, you can skip like 10-15 minutes of initial troubleshooting with the carrier!

Citation: Me, spending way too loving long answering these calls.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 2, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Can he call the number for carrier services? 611 or whichever.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Airplane mode cycle fixed it, thanks for the suggestions. He was confused because he did have some fraud transactions on his credit card and got a slew of spam, so felt like it was all coming at once.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bort posted:

How's his general mental health? Memory? Sense of smell?

I look back at my mom saying someone siphoned her gas as a warning sign that we should have acted on.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Not realizing that power cycling the radio might fix a cell problem doesn't seem like a warning sign of anything except unfamiliarity.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Healy devices, buy 3 save more!!!

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Found a new one, at least new to me

So this is a real, legitimate email from Paypal, with my correct name at the top and everything. The link leads to a real paypal.com invoice. Scammers send these invoices and list a fake phone number in the details, with the scam being that you call the number . It's really scummy that Paypal doesn't have a way to stop this, if I weren't savy I might have even fallen for it, especially if I was in a panic about thinking I'd had £600 taken off me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Could have indented the message, added giant quotation marks, changed really anything in the typeface from the rest of the email so that it clearly doesn't match.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Actually got something similar today, though it was a payment request instead of an invoice. Real request, showed up on my account, I just cancelled it. Not entirely sure what they're going for with this unless PayPal processing time is that short that they can withdraw the payment and run and make it hard to file a claim or something.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I get a pig butchering text about once a week. This latest one, I just send a pic of the conversation with the previous one after the "Hello." text. Their response was "E.O" and then separately "Leaf". That some kind of scam lingo or code?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Parallelwoody posted:

I get a pig butchering text about once a week. This latest one, I just send a pic of the conversation with the previous one after the "Hello." text. Their response was "E.O" and then separately "Leaf". That some kind of scam lingo or code?

May be the bot doing weird poo poo because it doesn't know how to handle the response. Like, the writer straight up failed to foresee someone replying with a picture. Or they don't care because that means you're not a good mark

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

send the pig balls picture to spread joy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I was just saying I'm running out of material and might need to fire an "old friend" right off the bat from now on.