Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm loving junker queens awful accent. If you told me the voice actor was a seppo I'd believe you but she's australian.

I was absolutely sure the voice actor had to be American too. I guess the the trick to landing Australian voice gigs at Blizzard is to lean as cartoonishly hard into the accent as possible, especially considering Australian is considered an S tier in the Diversity Space Tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if the shimada sis has a good accented voiceline and t-bag animation it'll work out

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Australian characters should be leaned into hard and I’m rather disappointed that the first Canadian character isn’t some Bob & Doug McKenzie poo poo.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
All of the American characters use guns as weapons, so they're at least nailing that. Speaking of, I need to go clean my piece..

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

The game is a lot flankier now. No more goats style death ball vs death ball. If you're soldier you want to be looking for angles and picks, not padding stats by shooting at tanks from the back. This is one way where the scoreboard does a bad job of incentivizing optimal play. I was in a game where people were being lovely to our Genji because his damage was low, but he was mainly flanking around and getting picks on the healers to allow us to move forward rather than just spam M1 into a Roadhog.

That sounds like a brand new account then, not an OW1 account moving over. If you log in tomorrow and you still are not able to play the characters you normally would then you probably have to sort something out.

Weird. My Battle.net ID is there in the upper right, same 4 digit number as the one on the main account page when I view it on the website.

Also, I can switch to the pink Mercy charity skin that I bought years ago, but somehow I'm a level 1?

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 6, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
They are removing the phone requirement for existing accounts but it sounds like keeping it for new accounts going forward? Seems like a reasonable compromise that will still serve the purpose of making it harder to spin up new accounts for smurfing or cheating.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-launch-status-update/700480

Blizzard posted:

SMS Protect
We designed Overwatch 2 to be a live service, which enables us to be responsive to a variety of player feedback. We have made the decision to remove phone number requirements for a majority of existing Overwatch players. Any Overwatch player with a connected Battle.net account, which includes all players who have played since June 9, 2021, will not have to provide a phone number to play. We are working to make this change and expect it to go live on Friday, October 7. We will update players once it is in effect.

We remain committed to combating disruptive behavior in Overwatch 2—accounts that were not connected to Battle.net as well as new accounts will still have to meet SMS Protect requirements, which helps to ensure we’re protecting our community against cheating. If a player is caught engaging in disruptive behavior, their account may be banned whether they have a new account or not.

As a team, we will keep listening to ongoing feedback and will make further adjustments in this area if it is required.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How is Sigma? Haven't heard much about him.

I got in just long enough to see some of the changes and characters added since I left. Looking forward to playing this weekend.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Queue at 700 still. How the hell is anyone getting in?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

They wait long enough

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

queue for a different region!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hashy posted:

Good idea, thank you! In America but will try Europe.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 6, 2022

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

The weird thing for me is how inconsistent the queue is. Last night I got through a 20,000 queue in 5 minutes. Tonight I've been sitting on a 400 player queue for 20 minutes.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Cowslips Warren posted:

My uncle works at Blizzard.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bagrada posted:

How is Sigma? Haven't heard much about him.

I got in just long enough to see some of the changes and characters added since I left. Looking forward to playing this weekend.
biggest mistake new sigmas make is just hard shielding and letting their shield die repeatedly

#1 tip is to primarily use his shield to block abilities and save people from dying and use cover as your primary damage mitigation tool

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm loving junker queens awful accent. If you told me the voice actor was a seppo I'd believe you but she's australian. I desperately hope that there's a lore dump where it turns out JQ is from burbank or something and is just desperately affecting the accent

I think this happens with most British or Australian voice actors. They get in the booth, do their lines and the feed back they probably get is

"Hmmmm can you make it more Australian?" They just have to keep hamming it up until the American director is satisfied.

Xenoblade chronicles 3 is a prime example of complete cringey ham
https://youtu.be/eqZ6kU0zQwc

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo
its great that i can play overwatch 1 again without ten minute queues. its a shame that it cost p2w characters, halo infinite-style xp gain for a new battlepass no one asked for, and having to play ??? number of matches in the quickplay gangbang to unlock the modes i actually want to play

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splinter posted:

All of the American characters use guns as weapons, so they're at least nailing that. Speaking of, I need to go clean my piece..

None of them are fat though.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

smug pedant posted:

its great that i can play overwatch 1 again without ten minute queues. its a shame that it cost p2w characters, halo infinite-style xp gain for a new battlepass no one asked for, and having to play ??? number of matches in the quickplay gangbang to unlock the modes i actually want to play

all of these are things are either untrue or not worth caring about so you're in luck here i think

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CuddleCryptid posted:

This may be the only game where DPS is underrepresented

After playing role queue quickplay for years in OW1, I was floored to see tanks with a longer queue time than DPS and support combined.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

None of them are fat though.

Are you fat shaming? You are lucky my gun and my backup gun are in the gunshop for cleaning.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Are you fat shaming? You are lucky my gun and my backup gun are in the gunshop for cleaning.

Would you be able to reach them from your mobility scooter?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

So far I'm enjoying OW2 more than I thought I would, certainly more than the beta. And lol at the "you don't need to change heroes" because I've found tank counter-picking is extremely important. Had to switch off Rein to Orisa on one push map because one enemy dps swapped to Mei, and would slow me enough that aggression was a lot harder and it was way easier to be focused down.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Amazing well thought-out character design here Blizzard.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

teagone posted:

Notched 7 more wins as JQ, went up from Silver 5 to Silver 2 lets goooooo. The climb is real, lmao.

You got lot games under your belt.
Just got my official 7th healer win. I'm Officially Bronze-2 now. :lol:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

After playing role queue quickplay for years in OW1, I was floored to see tanks with a longer queue time than DPS and support combined.

why play dps when you can play dps+

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

the male instinct to spray the ground after an extremely average ultimate you walked into the circumstances of

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The whole taking a full ranked loss when someone on your team leaves in comp is even more frustrating now. If your tank leaves you simply have no chance of winning.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought we had to play X games before ranked but I was queuing for it last night. Is that for new accounts or what?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thought we had to play X games before ranked but I was queuing for it last night. Is that for new accounts or what?

99% sure that's only for new accounts

Also RE: queues, I found out last night that the game doesn't have, like, an idle timer right now. So if you log in you are logged in and stay logged in. So enter that queue and move on with your day for a couple hours.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Hashy posted:

Unless you're on console, in which case Kevin is here for you.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

CuddleCryptid posted:

99% sure that's only for new accounts

Also RE: queues, I found out last night that the game doesn't have, like, an idle timer right now. So if you log in you are logged in and stay logged in. So enter that queue and move on with your day for a couple hours.

I've been doing this. You'll still get dropped every so often when something on their end crashes.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It's fun hopping around the big streamers who have either never played Overwatch or haven't touched it in five years, so they're getting grouped with entirely new players too.

Seeing low-level bronze gameplay is so entertaining; they seem to gravitate toward open queue, and every game is four DPS and Lucio. Nobody can hit anything, everybody trickles in, nobody knows the maps so fights happen in the weirdest places, Soldier's ult is the most broken thing in the game, and whenever someone accidentally picks a tank they absolutely dominate and nobody knows why that's happening or infers that tanks might be Pretty Good Actually.

It reminds me of playing the original beta and people thinking Torb was broken just because they didn't know how to deal with his turret. The early days of a game like this are a heady time!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

despite whatever they posted last night, I still can't log in on console after merging my accounts. I'll laugh if my account is just corrupted or something

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The game feels chaotic with super fast TTK, but I'm 100% sure that's just a "me" problem because I've been away and am bad.

I'm having a hard time not feeling vulnerable as Brig. Multiple times Junker Queen would initiate at half health when I was full, I'd land both my abilities on her and all my melees, and I'd still die. I'm not saying it's wrong, like yeah duh don't 1v1 even a wounded tank as a support, but I'm sort of getting a feel for how it works and where the boundaries are.

Still, I think there's kind of a funny thing with Brig, where lots of tanks are much more dangerous up close, and that's exactly where Brig needs to be. In later rounds I'd just zone them out with repeated chain shots and play thay stand off distance and it seemed to work well, but man I evaporated the second a general melee breaks out.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

despite whatever they posted last night, I still can't log in on console after merging my accounts. I'll laugh if my account is just corrupted or something
yeah I've got a couple friends in this boat as well. of course they are the biggest Overwatch fans I know

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Xenoblade chronicles 3 is a prime example of complete cringey ham
https://youtu.be/eqZ6kU0zQwc

??? Did you play Xenoblade Chronicles 3?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

lol at the GENDER VERIFICATION SYSTEM for a trans overwatch 2 tournament, thanks blizzard. foot, mouth.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

lol at the GENDER VERIFICATION SYSTEM for a trans overwatch 2 tournament, thanks blizzard. foot, mouth.

I'm confused as to why it's necessary in the first place

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm confused as to why it's necessary in the first place

To protect the OW2 tournaments from gender infiltrators obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't watch owl often at all but any time I've seen it it's basically all very cis-looking Korean boys. are there even females or trans competitors at this point? why announce that?

e: oh it's for a tournament specifically for marginalized identities. but why do verification then