Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hans also played the second lowest rated player and it looks like Aronian (who played the lowest with the black pieces) just didn't want to play and they drew in the opening after 17 moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

neaden posted:

Duck chess is good.
Stockfish doesn't understand duck chess.
Therefore the world championship should be a surprise duck chess match to ensure no cheating.

Turning Leela Chess Zero into a godlike duck chess engine would probably take an hour of coding and a day of letting a rack of GPUs run. I think it would be kind of fun to get crushed under the Terrible Rubber Tail.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Powered Descent posted:

Duck chess appears to be way deeper than it has any right to be.

I feel like almost any chess variant will be deep, it's mostly a question of how much effort goes into analyzing it. I like the proposal of letting Black have the first duck move*, which could even out chess's usual first-mover advantage.

*My autocorrect thought I was trying to type dick move, which is a funny inversion of the usual censorship

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
One interesting point in the chess.com report is that the distribution of his strength scores isn't bimodal, it's unimodal, so if he is cheating OTB, then he's either cheating all the time, or his cheating is so weak he's still playing at his actual strength.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah at this point the most likely outcome, imo, is that while Hans cheated a lot online, he either didn't cheat otb, or cheated so little that his fide elo is more or less accurate. However, I totally understand anybody who doesn't want to play against a confessed prolific cheater just because he hasn't been proven to cheat in all circumstances. A complex situation.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Is White's advantage bigger in duck chess? It looked really easy to force black into a suboptimal opening and then snowball from there. I almost wonder if black should get first duck move

yes and a possible improvement to the game is that before white moves, black gets to place the duck first. Or, each player makes one move without the duck and then black places on the end of his first move.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

During the Ding-Nepomniachtchi match, if players need to take a poo poo when they stand up from the board they will be blindfolded, handcuffed, and led to the toilet by a support staff of toilet helpers. The toilet helps will undress the players, seat them, wipe their asses (as necessary), redress them, and return them to the board.

laughing about a LOT of scenarios possible under these conditions :roflolmao:

lol again

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Krush about to ask him if he likes pegging.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Duck chess is so confusing

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

holy poo poo chess is awesome

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

he should probably explain why he lied about cheating in money games!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Chromatics posted:

he should probably explain why he lied about cheating in money games!

its fine it was online and therefore not actually chess

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
I'm sure we can all sympathize with a teenager that has committed some wire fraud, I mean who hasn't right???

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Eyes Only posted:

I'm sure we can all sympathize with a teenager that has committed some wire fraud, I mean who hasn't right???

Niemann is now chess Jacob Wohl.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah at this point the most likely outcome, imo, is that while Hans cheated a lot online, he either didn't cheat otb, or cheated so little that his fide elo is more or less accurate. However, I totally understand anybody who doesn't want to play against a confessed prolific cheater just because he hasn't been proven to cheat in all circumstances. A complex situation.

Evidence against this is that analysis of super GM average centipawn loss where Hans has a much higher ACL and game-to-game variance than any of the other super GMs the guy checked. Hans' average centipawn loss has not changed much since he was around 2500 yet his rating has climbed 200 points. Typically there is apparently a very strong correlation between FIDE rating and ACL that doesn't hold for him.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Evidence against this is that analysis of super GM average centipawn loss where Hans has a much higher ACL and game-to-game variance than any of the other super GMs the guy checked. Hans' average centipawn loss has not changed much since he was around 2500 yet his rating has climbed 200 points. Typically there is apparently a very strong correlation between FIDE rating and ACL that doesn't hold for him.

Pretty sure all these amateur statistical analysis got debunked.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gret posted:

im pretty sure it didn’t. now what

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

fart simpson posted:

im pretty sure it didn’t. now what

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

gret posted:

The only things shakier than the amateur statistical analysis has been the amateur debunkings.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

My own analysis has shown a strong correlation between Hans rise in rating and the world going to poo poo with increasingly absurd world events.

Check mate.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

My own analysis has shown a strong correlation between Hans rise in rating and the world going to poo poo with increasingly absurd world events.

Check mate.

Has anyone searched Hans for Monkey's Paws?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

They put the wand over his rear end in a top hat what do you people want from him

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

why are the studios so poorly lit

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hand Knit posted:

Niemann is now chess Jacob Wohl.

lmbo

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ilmucche posted:

why are the studios so poorly lit

Most of the brilliance had been used up during Hans' win

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I wonder what Magnus's plan is for the next time he faces Hans Moleman. Just retire every time?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

stratdax posted:

I wonder what Magnus's plan is for the next time he faces Hans Moleman. Just retire every time?

Tournaments pay the same for winning and winning with one resignation.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

stratdax posted:

Think the idea is to get him blackballed from major invitational tournaments so he doesn't have to worry about that

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
What are the criteria to make it into Candidates? If Hans isn't banned from OTB, I'm just wondering whether he could somehow break in to Candidates if he only grinds Elo in lower level tournaments.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
You need to win certain major tournaments, or have the highest rating in the world not otherwise invited, or be the previous challenger

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

qsvui posted:

What are the criteria to make it into Candidates? If Hans isn't banned from OTB, I'm just wondering whether he could somehow break in to Candidates if he only grinds Elo in lower level tournaments.

The standard package is something like the loser of the last title match, two by rating, two from the World Cup, two from the Grand Prix, and one by organizer's invitation.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

May be hard for Hans to improve his skills to a level where he could plausibly make it to the candidates if he doesn't get invited to any elite tournaments anymore and has to primarily play against <2700 scrubs.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The last candidates originally didn't have anyone qualify by rating.

World Champ runner-up - Nepo
World Cup - Duda and Karjakin
FIDE Grand Swiss - Firoujza and Caruana
FIDE Grand Prix - Nakamura and Rappaport
FIDE Special Nominee - Radjabov

Ding only got in via rating after Karjakin was disqualified for being a humongous dickhead.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gret posted:

May be hard for Hans to improve his skills to a level where he could plausibly make it to the candidates if he doesn't get invited to any elite tournaments anymore and has to primarily play against <2700 scrubs.

There are only 39 people in the world with 2700+ ratings in classical and Hans isn't one of them.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
According to 2700chess.com, there are 42 and Hans is #37:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

qsvui posted:

According to 2700chess.com, there are 42 and Hans is #37:

Well according to me there aren't, so who are you going to trust.

Its because FIDE doesn't update rating in real time and that site is including recent events

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salt Fish posted:

Well according to me there aren't, so who are you going to trust.

Its because FIDE doesn't update rating in real time and that site is including recent events

:hfive:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Anand back in the top ten by live rating, at the age of 52. Nobody else above the age of 40 in the top 20.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Man, I really want multi-day time control duck chess so I can play with my friend on the other side of the planet. Let me study my duck based variant positions for twenty minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

rollick posted:

Anand back in the top ten by live rating, at the age of 52. Nobody else above the age of 40 in the top 20.

Yeah he’s playing on the top board at the euro team cup right now. It’s great to see him still going. Even when his play isn’t as overall good as it used to be, there’s still a depth to it that better players don’t manage.