Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Deadspace failed at being horror for me because torturing monsters to death with power tools was badass and took the scare factor away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stomping them to death was very cathartic.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I support the dead space remake because dead space but in 4k on my couch sounds awesome.

Good mix of tension when fighting multiples and reversing the by torturing singles to death with power tools and gravity boots.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

jokes posted:

Stomping them to death was very cathartic.

Well, stomping the already-dead ones for tasty morsels of ammo or whatever.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

can you still do the thing where you fish up a shitload of crates in easymode and then as soon as you beat the boss to enter hardmode you open them all up and they suddenly magically have all the hardmode-exclusive ores in them so you skip past all the tiers of mineable crap

Nope. They fixed that a while back.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Deadspace 1/2 had very good atmospheric horror. Deadspace 3 had monsters pop out of the ground 90% of the time and pay2win resource gathering gimmicks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

There's a ton of new stuff since then. But the amount of stuff they added this patch is crazy.

Yeah terraria is nuts.

Hell I even played the poo poo out of it on my phone because I enjoyed it that much. That was years ago though so I should check it out again.

Rimworld is also good. I want to check out what they did with controller support now that it has an Xbox version.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dead space is probably a really good series but it's not easy to get hyped to play a space engineer with a sodering gun

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Remaking games that were made in the PSWii60 era or later really just makes no sense to me. Sure you can make the graphics a little nicer but gameplay, UI’s, and general quality of life practices really haven’t changed to any considerable degree. Like PS5 Demons Souls technically looks better than the original but it’s not like the original was using sprites or goldeneye64 faces or whatever, and it doesn’t really change the actual game so as a customer why bother?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

galagazombie posted:

Remaking games that were made in the PSWii60 era or later really just makes no sense to me. Sure you can make the graphics a little nicer but gameplay, UI’s, and general quality of life practices really haven’t changed to any considerable degree. Like PS5 Demons Souls technically looks better than the original but it’s not like the original was using sprites or goldeneye64 faces or whatever, and it doesn’t really change the actual game so as a customer why bother?

So people in the ps5 thread can get excited about replaying horizon

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

galagazombie posted:

it's much quicker to make remasters for new consoles instead of completely new games and depending on the sales of the original, a built in customer base.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I beat Yakuza: Like A Dragon today and I still don't think it has a single thing in common with a dragon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Video games are a huge waste of time and you should stop playing them

I only play interactive digital media

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

tango alpha delta posted:

it's much quicker to make remasters for new consoles instead of completely new games and depending on the sales of the original, a built in customer base.

I know that, hence why I said “for the customer”. Why the hell is anyone buying these things?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

galagazombie posted:

I know that, hence why I said “for the customer”. Why the hell is anyone buying these things?

nintendo brain.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Fur20 posted:

fishing is one of the best/most efficient ways to get materials up to t6 in hardmode. there are plenty of early game drops in crates too, like sprint shoes and double jump accessories, and even water-walking boots :ssh:

you can probably get more done with 30 minutes of fishing than you could in 3-4 hours of digging!

Oh yeah that's not what I meant, there is good stuff in fishing for sure, there are also a couple neat exclusive items in it. I think you have to fish in lava for a pendant or something to make the best boots accessory, at least I remember wasting a lot of time looking for one.
But completing the fishing quests the beach NPC gives you was boring as poo poo and just not worth it IMO. The best reward was probably the sponge and bucket which can be used to create/delete water tiles infinitely.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 5, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah terraria is nuts.

Hell I even played the poo poo out of it on my phone because I enjoyed it that much. That was years ago though so I should check it out again.

Rimworld is also good. I want to check out what they did with controller support now that it has an Xbox version.

drat it rimworld is on consoles but no switch port? WTF!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Picked up The Shore because it was mega cheap.

Its hugely unfinished, buggy, and is at the same time entirely on rails and also incredibly confusing as to where you are meant to go next.

But I'm still really enjoying it, and actually, it's partly because of the shonkyness, not in spite of it. It somehow plays perfectly into the lovecraft theme. It feels like it's maybe on purpose even?

I think if I'd paid more for it though, I'd just be annoyed about it.

Which is weird, I've never really had it before where the 'value' prospect of a game influenced my opinion of it, and I bought the Fallout 4 collectors edition!

Made me think if maybe it had, in the past but subconsciously, and if maybe that's true in other places in my life.

Who knew a game about sea gribblies would have such a profound effect on me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jokes posted:

Old dead space looks good and holds up what’s wrong with this world

Not 3

Dead Space 1 looks awful in this day and age, I played through it on the Steam Deck cover to cover and even on that low res screen the game looks dated visually. The gameplay still holds up for the most part (Zero G sections always sucked in 1), but it's loving ugly. I'm also saying this with DS1 being one of my favorite games.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dead Space definitely won't look as good as you remember. The style is great so it sticks in your mind, but the actual game is way more blurry and lumpy than your memory says it is.

Dead Space Extraction is easily one of the best games on the Wii and one that justifies the console's existence.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Video games are a huge waste of time and you should stop playing them

I only play interactive digital media

Which hand do you use?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

deep dish peat moss posted:

I beat Yakuza: Like A Dragon today and I still don't think it has a single thing in common with a dragon

On the topic of crying like a child at a game, I found parts of LaD's ending to be very sad, and I'm extremely stoked for a sequel.

It did not, however, have much in common with a dragon, unless you consider Ichiban's dragonfish tattoo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Dead Space definitely won't look as good as you remember. The style is great so it sticks in your mind, but the actual game is way more blurry and lumpy than your memory says it is.

Dead Space Extraction is easily one of the best games on the Wii and one that justifies the console's existence.

Extraction got a ps3 release as well (packed in free with dead space 2 ) but sadly it’s not available on anything modern.

I miss the brief trend of making full length rail shooter campaigns with actual stories and budgets. Like extraction and the RE chronicles games.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

On the topic of crying like a child at a game, I found parts of LaD's ending to be very sad, and I'm extremely stoked for a sequel.

It did not, however, have much in common with a dragon, unless you consider Ichiban's dragonfish tattoo.

like a dragon did end well. i'm annoyed ichi is getting downgraded to co-star for the next one, they are cowards. i think that's an unpopular opinion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

roomtone posted:

like a dragon did end well. i'm annoyed ichi is getting downgraded to co-star for the next one, they are cowards. i think that's an unpopular opinion.

I saw a lot of people disappointed at Kiryu taking some of the spotlight back I think. Might not be as unpopular an opinion as you think.

I’m kinda in the same boat. Ichiban deserves more time in the spotlight and it’s extra weird that the second protagonist he now has to split the game with is Kiryu, the guy who seemed to pretty explicitly pass the torch to Ichiban in the last game.

I’m still excited for the game though and I hope it ends up being good despite my reservations

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
How is the running into poo poo physics in Like a Dragon?

I didn't like how in Lost Judgement the only way to destroy a convenience store was by dragging a fight into it. Although this is very fun and funny.

I liked how in Yakuza 6 all you had to do was sprint and you could destroy any Lawson's in seconds as shelves exploded around your masculine fastness.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

I saw a lot of people disappointed at Kiryu taking some of the spotlight back I think. Might not be as unpopular an opinion as you think.

I’m kinda in the same boat. Ichiban deserves more time in the spotlight and it’s extra weird that the second protagonist he now has to split the game with is Kiryu, the guy who seemed to pretty explicitly pass the torch to Ichiban in the last game.

I’m still excited for the game though and I hope it ends up being good despite my reservations

Wait what? They're seriously making Ichi a second stringer with Kiryu back in now?

That's so lovely. So much of the reason I liked Like A Dragon was specifically because they'd moved away from 2004 perfect-badass protagonist Kiryu. Don't get me wrong, he's fun, but goddamn is Kiryu just so flat as a character. Basically every climactic conflict in most of the Yakuza games is resolved by Kiryu walking away from everyone panicking, barely saying anything, and going to handle things by himself. Because he's such a strong badass, you know?

Like man. I was even disappointed when he showed up in LAD just because he felt like such a stain on a game where it really felt like they were trying their hardest to mercilessly dunk on that whole outdated idea of a protagonist. 'no man is an island' etc. Ichi's only strong with the power of his friends, but whoops turns out that's just because he sucks because perfect boy Kiryu is back on the scene to show how cool he is by himself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

Wait what? They're seriously making Ichi a second stringer with Kiryu back in now?

That's so lovely. So much of the reason I liked Like A Dragon was specifically because they'd moved away from 2004 perfect-badass protagonist Kiryu. Don't get me wrong, he's fun, but goddamn is Kiryu just so flat as a character. Basically every climactic conflict in most of the Yakuza games is resolved by Kiryu walking away from everyone panicking, barely saying anything, and going to handle things by himself. Because he's such a strong badass, you know?

Like man. I was even disappointed when he showed up in LAD just because he felt like such a stain on a game where it really felt like they were trying their hardest to mercilessly dunk on that whole outdated idea of a protagonist. 'no man is an island' etc. Ichi's only strong with the power of his friends, but whoops turns out that's just because he sucks because perfect boy Kiryu is back on the scene to show how cool he is by himself.

Here’s the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhqN7R_oAg

The announcement said they’ll be co-protagonists with their own separate parties (still turn based combat), with Kiryu’s story being about the “burden of the past” while Ichi’s is about the “burden of the future.” Thing is that’s sorta already what Ichi’s first game was so :shrug:

They’re also releasing a shorter Kiryu game called Like A Dragon Gaiden that will bridge the gap between 6 and 7 and then 7 and 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxkn-dcy01k

(Side note: they’re also rebranding the series in the west. They’re dropping the Yakuza name and it’s all Like a Dragon now)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's me. I am the 19th goon that will fell Kiryu where 18 other goons have all failed.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

This, except applied to the FF Pixel Remasters

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Here’s the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhqN7R_oAg

The announcement said they’ll be co-protagonists with their own separate parties (still turn based combat), with Kiryu’s story being about the “burden of the past” while Ichi’s is about the “burden of the future.” Thing is that’s sorta already what Ichi’s first game was so :shrug:

They’re also releasing a shorter Kiryu game called Like A Dragon Gaiden that will bridge the gap between 6 and 7 and then 7 and 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxkn-dcy01k

(Side note: they’re also rebranding the series in the west. They’re dropping the Yakuza name and it’s all Like a Dragon now)

I have no idea how you justify Kiryu needing a party when in LAD he literally kicks your entire party's collective rear end and it's a terrible 'you have to win but you still lose the fight in the story' fight.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You don't need to justify poo poo, its an anime game and nothing like that matters in them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yakuza would be a better game if they amped up the anime honestly, the worst part of those games is when they try to be gritty and serious.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ichi was cool but I feel like he's a character well resolved by a single game. Like a Dragon was very good game. I did not care for most of the characters. Tony Zhao's wardrobe and haircut and glasses scream "crypto bro". The k-pop guy is an extreme k-pop stereotype and boring. Nanba is the worst. Adachi is okayish. Saeko was cool. I think the game was strongest in the very early parts when it was really playing up the whole transposition of homeless life with videogame rpg mechanics, all the characters being down-on-their-luck losers, etc. By the time Nanba left and then came back everyone's character arc ended and then the rest of the game was all about the power of friendship which kinda sucked and didn't have the charm of the first part. Also none of the classes felt great they all felt like they were missing something critical

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
The PS4/whatever remake of Secret of Mana was fine

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

veni veni veni posted:

I miss the brief trend of making full length rail shooter campaigns with actual stories and budgets. Like extraction and the RE chronicles games.

That’s whole thing was a fluke due entirely to the Wii making it so everyone had a light gun peripheral just by owning the system. Even the NES didn’t have that kind of light gun install base. People seem to have lost their appetite for peripherals in general really. The only kind of peripheral recently that got any buzz was VR and even that failed and was almost entirely limited to PC.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
when i felt i'd outgrown my nes I cut the chord off the zapper so I could run about pretending it was a real gun, lmao im a dumbass

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Turns out most people just want to sit on their asses

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Devils Affricate posted:

Turns out most people just want to sit on their asses

What else are they gonna sit on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn