Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's not Adam Savage, it's Chuck Wendig.

What can I say except "you're welcome?"

AITA for looking at my son’s midterm grades and discovering he had an F in a class?

If they are in the US that would get him FERPA-fired, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for looking at my son’s midterm grades and discovering he had an F in a class?
how does this work in most places? because at my university that would have been illegal as gently caress and we even had to sign a document acknowledging that we were properly informed about how badly we could sue the school over it

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

wheatpuppy posted:

100%

CaptainViolence posted:

how does this work in most places? because at my university that would have been illegal as gently caress and we even had to sign a document acknowledging that we were properly informed about how badly we could sue the school over it
In the US, where most aita characters are from unless otherwise specified (even if you don't make this assumption, since OP deems it noteworthy to mention the son doesn't live on campus and calls them 'grades" instead of "marks," and college isn't already free lends credence to him being american) yes this is super illegal.

One issue that OP was doubtless aware of before choosing to do this is his son can't turn him in, because if he gets fired, then the son would no longer be the immediate family member of a staff member, so wouldn't get free tuition anymore, so he's able to weaponize this to prevent the son from turning him in or he won't be able to afford college anymore.

As is raised in the comments though, even if the son doesn't report OP, the access logs of employees in orgs where FERPA is relevant are tracked to make sure no one does poo poo like this. OP won't be assigned tasks that involve looking at his family members' grades due to conflict of interest, and if his boss or IT or whatever finds out that he's been abusing his power to look at his son's grades without his permission, he might be in hot water anyway even if his son doesn't report him.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I used to work in the public school system as a computer toucher, and I would have been turbo-fired and blackballed from any government job if I so much as looked at the school admin system. I can’t imagine it’s much different in universities.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's taken even more seriously at the college level since the students, being adults, actually have some enforceable rights. Plus, since their grades can only be given to people who they have given access to in the system, it's very routine for admin staff to be trained not to give them to people missing from the list who ask, like helicopter parents. Not that it's exactly at play here but since people trying to obtain unauthorized access to grades is pretty common, people check for it much more often than in elementary or high school.

AITA for not letting my daughter use her college fund for a VTuber avatar?

quote:

I had saved up a 20,000 college fund for my oldest daughter (19,) and was upset when she said that she would not be going to college. I am holding her fund until she decides she wants to go to college or do any sort of training.

My daughter works at a clothing store, but she has told me that she wants to become a YouTuber and twitch streamer. She has said that she will continue working until she gets monetized on YouTube or becomes a twitch affiliate, and then she will quit.

I do not agree with her decisions, but I still respect her choices. However, the other day she said that she is hiring someone to make a VTuber model for $2000 and needs the money from her college fund.

I told her that I would not let her spend the money on this. She said that the artist has already started on it and that she needs it. She said that it was money for her and that she should be allowed to start her career with this. These are fair points, and I realize I might be an rear end in a top hat.

AITA?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 6, 2022

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Ok it was a while back but where did the "what if the kid has bad vibes" come from?

I see it a lot in this thread and it's always pretty funny.

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MinistryofLard posted:

Ok it was a while back but where did the "what if the kid has bad vibes" come from?

I see it a lot in this thread and it's always pretty funny.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

wheatpuppy posted:

nah, FERPA is the animal rights law. i know b/c my mom is getting sued by a raccoon for a handful of birdseed. fortunately I've got a team of high-powered attorneys that can bury the case in paperwork until that little bastard keels over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

nah, FERPA is the animal rights law. i know b/c my mom is getting sued by a raccoon for a handful of birdseed. fortunately I've got a team of high-powered attorneys that can bury the case in paperwork until that little bastard keels over.

What if the raccoon eats all the paperwork

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

cringe picture

How would you describe the emotion on the guy on the left's face? They guy on the right looks excited, but I can't place the guy on the left.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For begging my boyfriend not to being Heinz Ketchup to Omakase?

quote:

Sorry this all seems ridiculous but I need a sanity check. I consider myself a "foodie" but my boyfriend Jay is the exact opposite. Like he'll literally eat but it's more than that — he always starts things with me when I try to take him out for good food. For example last year I got us reservations at a steak house and he made a point of ordering his steak well done with ketchup. The thing is he doesn't even like eating the food this way he does it to "make a point" that no one, not even I, can tell him how to eat his food.

Well his birthday is coming up and he likes sushi so I wanted to treat him to a nice Omakase experience. It's where you sit with the chef and eat the food in front of them. It's more than I spend on food in two weeks but I thought it could be fun for both of us.

Today he told me he's only going to go if he can bring a bottle of Heinz ketchup and put it on the table. I thought he was joking but he was serious. I told him I've literally never seen him — or anyone else — eat sushi with ketchup. He actually got mad at me saying that nobody gets to decide for him how he enjoys his food. He went on to yell at me that it's a lovely birthday gift because I'm the foodie and he isn't.

I think he's being obnoxious with the ketchup thing but maybe he's just making a point about me forcing my hobbies on him idk. AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

Somehow, bafflingly, the guy who wants to bring ketchup to Omakase is not the rear end in a top hat. He obviously hates high-pressure, high-context dining situations and she insists on putting him in those situations. They are incompatible.

Edit: and apparently she sees his birthday as an excuse to splurge on an expensive meal for herself despite knowing he doesn’t want it.

K3nT3n
Oct 8, 2015
If you see me posting my own tweets, please report me so I will be probated for a month.

therobit posted:

Somehow, bafflingly, the guy who wants to bring ketchup to Omakase is not the rear end in a top hat. He obviously hates high-pressure, high-context dining situations and she insists on putting him in those situations. They are incompatible.

Edit: and apparently she sees his birthday as an excuse to splurge on an expensive meal for herself despite knowing he doesn’t want it.

lol

https://truthsocial.com/users/SpiderCarnage/statuses/109119942319559173

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
What he should do is come up with his own ketchup recipe, and plant several friends around the omakase place to remark on how great his new recipe is

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Technocrat posted:

What he should do is come up with his own ketchup recipe, and plant several friends around the omakase place to remark on how great his new recipe is

Someone please repost that story, I love it so much. If I was friends with Ketchup guy I would 100% go along with his plan and ham it the gently caress up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

You’re going to have to screen cap your link to the fashy Facebook (and I know I’m being redundant). It’s geoblocked for the EU.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
No, gently caress this guy in the ear. Anyone who treats staff like poo poo, from the waitstaff to the chef, is a major league rear end in a top hat and has a preapproved ticket to the acid vats. The OP isn't innocent here, but that's no excuse to insult a chef to their face in their own restaurant like that.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Spalec posted:

Someone please repost that story, I love it so much. If I was friends with Ketchup guy I would 100% go along with his plan and ham it the gently caress up.

AITA for not participating in my friends "scheme" to convince a restaurant to buy his ketchup?

quote:

My friend, Zoltar (fake name), has been obsessed with ketchup ever since I met him. He is always trying out different recipes to make his own ketchup and getting me and all our friends to try them. Recently he made "his best ketchup yet". I tried it. It wasn't bad. It was ketchup. Now he has decided he is "finally going to break into the ketchup game."

He is convinced he is going to launch his own ketchup company and grow it to be one of the top providers of ketchup in the US. He literally has a photo of Heinz ketchup on a dartboard. He throws darts at it and mutters things like "I'm coming for YOU".

Anyways he has a scheme he wants me and others to participate in. Essentially it involves us all going to a restaurant, sitting at different tables, and enacting lines from a scene he wrote that will culminate in all of us trying and loving his ketchup and convincing the manager to buy it. He wants us all to memorize lines.

The gist of it is one guy is supposed to call over a waitress and say he likes the french fries, but hates the ketchup. I am supposed to lean over (from another table) and say "Sorry to butt in, hah hah, but I have to agree. I'm tired of this old fashioned, factory produced ketchup. Where's the real tomato flavor?" After a few other people do this, my friend is going to say "You guys won't believe this, but I'm a ketchup chef, and I have a few samples. Would you want to give it a shot?"

At this point everyone is supposed to try the ketchup and act astounded by it and basically all exclaim it is the best ketchup they ever had. I am supposed to stand up on my table and "make a trumpet sound effect" and then yell to the entire restaurant "We have the best ketchup ever made over here! Everyone come on over!"

One of the other people is supposed to get the manager of the place over and we are all supposed to try to convince him or her to buy an order of my friends ketchup. He is going to act "surprised and embarrassed" and try to tell us to "stop putting this poor guy on the spot" in regards to the manager. He then assumes he will make a "huge sale". Then he wants to do this same "operation" at other places in town.

I told him no way am I doing this. I hate public speaking/acting and having attention focused on me, also the idea is just so loving dumb and crazy to me. I told him that straight up. He acted offended and said I am "ruining his dreams."

I am astounded by this but some of my friends agree and think he is showing "hustle" and that we should all help him launch his ketchup business. Aside from his ketchup obsession Zoltar is one of my best friends but it seems our friendship is being ruined. A lot of people are telling me I am a jerk for going against his dream and not helping out.
This is one of my favorite posts in any of these threads. No one getting hurt, low stakes, just a guy who really loves ketchup.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mx. posted:

what. That's who you date in hell, not on earth. what is wrong with each of these people? :barf: on both of em

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Making food miserable to own the libs my girlfriend. I hope they get married.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
"sir, we have a problem."
what is it Hawkins?! I'm busy.
"it's that ketchup guy again..."
dammit! I thought I told you to buy him off!
"we tried, sir! he won't sell the recipe at any price!"
OK..... don't panic. he may have the world's best ketchup recipe, but nobody knows our ketchup doesn't have real tomato flavor. he's no threat to us.....
"that's just it, sir! they've been going restaurant to restaurant and----"

*trumpet sound*
hear ye, hear ye! come try it! simply the best ketchup in the world! now with real tomato flavor!

My God.......

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mx. posted:

Everybody sucks here. He's throwing a tantrum because he's a food-dumb-dumb and is probably a small boy who got put into the body of an adult by the machine from Big. But that's also why he's right about it being a bad gift; OP already knows her boyfriend is a baby but is trying to put the square block in the round hole anyway and is getting frustrated that the square block is responding with threats of ketchup terrorism.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My fiancè literally pushed me aside during a threesome.

quote:

So he (36m) & I (31f) have been engaged for 7 months. It's the longest engagement I know! but!!! he said he wanted to really really be sure about this next step which's marriage while trying to work out some issues we have.

We are pretty open about what we want. He suggested a threesome with a woman his friend brought to a party months ago. I gotta say I was shocked that he was in contact with her but he claimed it was through his friend. Honestly? I started having doubts about the whole thing but went along anyway as to not piss him off.

the moment she showed up, he couldn't take his eyes off her. He started comparing us too from head to toe and did it in a form of "joke". He obviously had an attraction towards her that he couldn't hide.

How did it go? It went horrible..Absolutely loving horrible. He ignored and neglecting me the entire session and focused his attention on her. I tried to get him to work with me but he literally pushed me to the side and went back to her. I was feeling completely and utterly worthless. The way I waited there awkwardly was just.....the second he started l her b I was out. I retreated and left the whole place and went to my friend's place.

I knew he kept going with her because he only called at 3 am. We had the biggest fight so far and I haven't seen him since that night. He constantly spoke about how he didn't anything wrong and how I obviously was letting my lack of knowledge and insecurities talk me into leaving like that. He said he didn't know what "I expected" but I didn't expect to be literally pushed to the side by him. He ranted about how I made things awkward for everybody and how I obviously wasn't made for this kind of thing.

My friends think he's manipulating me and that he's into that woman and did what he did to pull a power move over me and gently caress her right before my eyes without me saying anything about it.

I feel terrible about the whole thing. I'm unable to think properly and rationally.

I mean, at least he tried to get his fiancee involved in his attempt to cheat, rather than suggest an open relationship???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I mean, at least he tried to get his fiancee involved in his attempt to cheat, rather than suggest an open relationship???

Just loving chortling over here

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

In the US, where most aita characters are from unless otherwise specified (even if you don't make this assumption, since OP deems it noteworthy to mention the son doesn't live on campus and calls them 'grades" instead of "marks," and college isn't already free lends credence to him being american) yes this is super illegal.

Most newer UK universities are campus based, they definitely are not free, and I could just about see grades instead of marks. So this is not hard and fast. Pretty sure it would still be illegal though.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Evil Willow posted:

If he hadn't have been so greedy he might have gotten away with it, too

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Most newer UK universities are campus based, they definitely are not free, and I could just about see grades instead of marks. So this is not hard and fast. Pretty sure it would still be illegal though.

I'm sure you're right. My ultimate point was that I'm only familiar with US educational law/FERPA and didn't want to opine on how it works in the UK without knowing much about it. Most likely. Do UK universities give letter grades? I thought they used first, upper/lower second, and third, or has this been changing in recent years?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

I'm sure you're right. My ultimate point was that I'm only familiar with US educational law/FERPA and didn't want to opine on how it works in the UK without knowing much about it. Most likely. Do UK universities give letter grades? I thought they used first, upper/lower second, and third, or has this been changing in recent years?

That's the final degree classification, not anything intermediate. By the time you get one of those it's too late to helicopter mom.

Reading the actual post, a bigger tell is 'major'. We don't have those. It's <whatever subject> and only that subject for the full three years.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 6, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, ok. Good to know.

AITA for calling out my Wife's friend's husband for having a micropenis?

quote:

Alright, to avoid confusion:

Me=Me (or first person)

My wife= Wife

Her friend= Megan

Megan's husband= Alex

So long story short, we all live in a city that's surrounded by farms. I grew up here, I worked on my uncle's farm all of my youth life.

He met Megan in college. She's from here. I met my wife in college and she came here with me after college.

Megan's parents own a farm. Alex worked there for a bit. Then quit and now he's a used car salesman cause he went to college for sales.

My wife and Megan became friends because they both are into crafts and met at a crafts store.

My wife told me that Megan told her that Alex had a "way below average" dick. Which my wife told me in confidence. And I learned that both Alex and Megan were virgins, because they're I guess super christian, (like the wait until marriage type).

My wife also told me that after they were married, apparently, they both agreed that masturbation was okay. And Megan, who'd only been with one guy, who was small; learned that there were men out there that were much larger.

I hosted a bbq yesterday, Alex and Megan showed up late. But what they came here in was a monstrosity.

Alex and Megan showed up in a truck, which was a GMC but idk what model, that was the biggest truck I've ever seen. I've seen trucks that are lifted 9" with 38" tires and this thing was bigger. I thought it was a truck that was on his lot. Until I saw the paper plates on it and it was a different dealership.

Then he spend a good 45 min talking about the truck he bought and poo poo. Saying it was lifted over a foot and it had "the biggest tires I can legally have". And every time I tried to ask questions about it, he was just like "you don't know about it, you're not from the country".

So I got a little mad, and also I was a little drunk, so for someone who grew up in some shithole in wa called spokane to tell me that I don't know about country life just because I don't dress in flannels and cowboy boots... like that made me mad.

So I asked him if he bought the truck because of his microdick. He got really red.

He looked at Megan, then I looked at my wife and she was giving the worst of death glares. It's been less than 24 hours and my wife is still giving me the cold shoulder.

So, AITA?
(deleted a bunch of extra line breaks)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
to avoid confusion: Me=Me, My wife= Wife

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Skellybones posted:

to avoid confusion: Me=Me, My wife= Wife

- proceeds to refer to Alex (I assume) as "he" on first mention, making it sound like the farmer uncle met Megan in college.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for wanting my wife to accept that there are multiple ways to view and/or do things, and for wanting to then discuss strategies to improve and strengthen our relationship?

quote:

So my wife and I were preparing to go out this morning with the toddler and infant, and while I was preparing the baby bag, I asked my wife where she wants me to put the saline drops. She says "in the front pocket". So I looked for the inner pocket just adjacent to where the arm straps are located (imagine a backpack with arm straps. I put the drops just inside the side where the straps attach). I always thought of that side as the "front" of a backpack, because it is further towards the front direction that we move towards when walking.

So my wife got very frustrated with me, because she things the front of the bag is the other side (the area with all the small pouches that you see when you look at someone who's wearing it from behind them). She then accused me of intentionally acting like I didn't understand her, because "everyone on the planet" agrees with her orientation for which side is the front. She then proceeded to stonewall me during our entire car ride (half an hour).

Additionally, at the beginning of our car ride, I wanted to discuss an article with her that I found to be very insightful regarding the attributes of strong relationship versus weak ones. Link is below:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/happily-ever-after/372573/

Specifically, I wanted to discuss the part where it talks about how successful couples argue. They don't accuse one-another of being wrong or deficient in some way, but rather they tell each other how they feel as a result of their partner's actions. There were other things I wanted to discuss as well, including the value of kindness in relationships.

So my wife said she didn't want to talk about something "annoying" like that, and then she basically gave me the silent treatment for half an hour.

When we arrived at our destination, she argued that I was trying to prove that my way of seeing the backpack was "valid", even though nobody in the entire world would agree with me. She thus believed that I must have been trying to irk her or provoke her by "acting" like I didn't know which pouch she was referring to. And then she added a sarcastic remark regarding the article I wanted to discuss with her, thus belittling it. My response was that I just wanted her to acknowledge that different people have different views about things, including which side of a backpack is the front. And she accused me of intentionally wanting to go against the general consensus about many things in life just so that I can feel special or whatever. I think she was taking an old statement of mine grossly out of context.

Then I clarified that her stonewalling me demonstrated that she doesn't care to talk about our relationship, and that she doesn't want to actively take steps to improve our relationship, and this hurts me greatly.

AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your wife is right about what most people mean about the front of the backpack.

The rest is your problem lol lmao I ain't dealing with that

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Does she put her hair in a ponytail when bathing or what

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for getting up and walking out of the diner when my boyfriend said that he forgot his credit card?

AITATM?

also lol, she's fallen for the ol' "my wallet's in my other pants" trick 36 times now

My boyfriend forgets his card all the time, but he always immediately sends me the money so I don't mind. How does this work in their relationship? She spots him the money and then they get back home and what? Just "oops I forgot to send you the money, doing it now" every 5 minutes until next week's dinner?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

My boyfriend forgets his card all the time, but he always immediately sends me the money so I don't mind. How does this work in their relationship? She spots him the money and then they get back home and what? Just "oops I forgot to send you the money, doing it now" every 5 minutes until next week's dinner?
This week: I forgot my wallet but don’t worry, I’ll get next week’s dinner and we’ll be even.
Next week: I forgot my wallet but don’t worry, I’ll get next week’s dinner and we’ll be even.
Next week: I forgot my wallet but don’t worry, I’ll get next week’s dinner and we’ll be even.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MagusofStars posted:

This week: I forgot my wallet but don’t worry, I’ll get next week’s dinner and we’ll be even.

OP: He's great, bu

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Mx. posted:

My boyfriend (M24) washes the underwear of another woman and says it's completely normal

This feels like he isn't dating the reddit poster at all.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Nebrilos posted:

How would you describe the emotion on the guy on the left's face? They guy on the right looks excited, but I can't place the guy on the left.

Cromulence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for insisting that I get the suite?

quote:

I’m going on holiday with my husband’s family next week. We have a baby. Husband made the bookings for the resort and flights.

He managed to get a package that gives us 1 suite and 2 regular rooms between the 7 of us.

Husband and I assumed that since we have 3 people and also made the bookings that we would have the suite. When we called his parents/siblings to discuss the itinerary his mother had different ideas.

She started giggling and said how excited she is to have the suite to herself and FIL. She started talking about how she saw the balconies and the view is stunning from the suites.

I stopped her and told her no, husband and I will be in the suite. I reminded her that she and FIL, SIL and BIL always come to our room to play with baby and that I’m not comfortable not having a bedroom that is private

I reminded her that the suite came from mine and husband’s points at that hotel chain and if she wanted to upgrade she can pay for it

She started telling me off saying I was selfish and she deserves a holiday. Husband shrugged and cut her off by saying that he did book the suite for us. She hung up the call.

SIL and BIL told me she’s been fuming since and saying that I am a greedy AH

comments posted:

NTA. Seems more than reasonable and logical arrangement, to me. Has she more entitled episodes?

op posted:

She stormed out of our wedding reception because she didn’t get to cut the cake, does that count?