Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

there are pets???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had to wiki it, I heard my kid say "I wonder if I can keep that thing as a pet" a hundred times but couldn't for the life of me figure out how.

Feed an aphid or a weevil it's favorite food in mush form (grass and mushroom) by dropping it on the ground a couple times

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
you can also tame gnats with meat slurry from rotten meat

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Can make just about all the tier 2 stuff and still nothing touches spears, do loads of damage when thrown and so cheap to make you don't care if you lose them. Combos great with a shield too. No idea what Javelineer does in practice but I've got it to the final tier now so :shrug:

Biggest game changer so far tho has been ladybug armor

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
God drat I just want an acorn shell, but these mosquitos are conspiring to stop me.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Oh, there's a thread for this game.

I've been playing solo and I am up to the end of T2 / start of T3 and the game feels like a big slog now. Takes ages to get to the T3 areas from my main base in the grassland, and the bigger T3 bugs are huge sacks of HP that take ages to bring down. Hopefully it gets better once I can craft one of the unique T3 weapons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This game could definitely benefit from some kind of fast travel system. I don't care if the waystations I have to craft for it are expensive, or if I have to spend like, some jerky for every trip as the cost of travel. The yard's too drat big!
And no ziplines definitely don't count.

litany of gulps posted:

God drat I just want an acorn shell, but these mosquitos are conspiring to stop me.
I don't think these two things should be in conflicting zones.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Vib Rib posted:

This game could definitely benefit from some kind of fast travel system. I don't care if the waystations I have to craft for it are expensive, or if I have to spend like, some jerky for every trip as the cost of travel. The yard's too drat big!
And no ziplines definitely don't count.

Honestly, just give me a straight up teleporter and justify it as Ominent tech. Or flavor them as bee riding stations, whatever works.

As far as ziplines, their big problem is that they're one way only. Plus the T3 zones are at higher elevation than most of the garden so you can't really zip up to them, only back.

One thing I've been considering is building a staircase really high up around the oak which would in theory allow me to setup a potential travel hub consisting of a big ring of ziplines down in all directions, and return ziplines leading to the base of the oak. Not sure I can afford all the silk rope for such a grand plan though, I only have a couple hundred on hand.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Honestly, just give me a straight up teleporter and justify it as Ominent tech. Or flavor them as bee riding stations, whatever works.

As far as ziplines, their big problem is that they're one way only. Plus the T3 zones are at higher elevation than most of the garden so you can't really zip up to them, only back.

One thing I've been considering is building a staircase really high up around the oak which would in theory allow me to setup a potential travel hub consisting of a big ring of ziplines down in all directions, and return ziplines leading to the base of the oak. Not sure I can afford all the silk rope for such a grand plan though, I only have a couple hundred on hand.

I essentially have this off my base built off the baseball outside the starting hole.

I built (most of) a 4 square tower with trampolines every 3 floors, 10 trampolines = 33 floors Return lines come back to the 6th floor from the same zipline anchor the tower runs out to.

https://imgur.com/a/YdzJWtA

I was going to experiment with angled floors and the trampolines overlapping the center of the tower to see if i could just shoot myself up, but ended up just rushing the finish.

Endgame spoiler: I was even able run a line straight to the endgame area to transport material for the defences, although i had to build a second lower anchor for the outbound trip. Making the tower ~40 floors would have fixed this.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
that's sick. i had a smaller scale version of that in mind and i'm glad it's possible

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think these two things should be in conflicting zones.

I’m in tier 1/brand new character gear, so I was trying to get to the oak without fighting or encountering anything dangerous. In EA, there used to be a safe route, but now there’s a cluster of mosquitos blocking the end of that route, sadly. I could probably slip by them, but they caught me off guard and proved to be a lot tougher to fight than I had anticipated.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

litany of gulps posted:

I’m in tier 1/brand new character gear, so I was trying to get to the oak without fighting or encountering anything dangerous. In EA, there used to be a safe route, but now there’s a cluster of mosquitos blocking the end of that route, sadly. I could probably slip by them, but they caught me off guard and proved to be a lot tougher to fight than I had anticipated.

It kind of sounds like you're going the most roundabout way. You can literally walk nearly straight line to the Oak Tree from the SPAC.R and you might see a roaming wolf spider if it's night time.

I know insect locations are apparently semi-randomized but the mosquitos closest to oak tree I've encountered are way off the side towards the giant stone wall one side of the pond runs in to, on the other side of giant stump fence from the water.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah if you stick to the side of the tree facing away from the water there are plenty of acorns all over the ground without any mosquitos to mess with you. There's definitely roaming spiders like Evil Kit mentioned but I have my base built on the side of the Koi Pond and head to that area to grab acorns without seeing another creature more often than not.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I've never seen a mosquito around the oak tree unless you go way off course and go to the wall close to the pond.

I've embraced the cheese to get t2 bug parts. Kiting with the bow or getting a height advantage, or using my ant comrades as cannon fodder.

Two labs down, two to go.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We just discovered last night that the T1 grenades you get a recipe for are the same ones you need to blow up the walls that require explosives. We're well into T3 now and were waiting for some acorn C4 charges or some poo poo, it only just occurred to me last night scrolling through the crafting list that "hey we have explosives..." so now we're trying to remember all of the places we passed that have a wall that needs blown up. Of course I didn't put a trail marker down when I saw them. :sigh:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Outside of getting the ladybug parts and Wolf Spiders I really don't think ya need that much cheese. Just some practice getting parry timings down and the level 1 health + healing Milk Molar upgrades.

Ladybug armor is just that tanky and if you kill a few mosquitos to make the life steal rapier you get even more ridiculously hard to kill. The only thing really lacking is your dps, which if you're in multiplayer is easy to solve at least.

I've taken on multiple orb weavers at the same time and barely dropped below 80% health while fighting them, it's kinda silly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I cheese black widows because they're immune to everything and their poison is dumb

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Evil Kit posted:

It kind of sounds like you're going the most roundabout way.

I’m set up by the anthill (seemed the logical place to start gearing up) so the route was there to the etch a sketch to the soda can, which is where the mosquitos hang out. The space between the tree and pond used to be pretty much insect free. My early access base was in the flower garden west of the pond, with a bridge across the pond to the tree, so I think it was more the unpleasant surprise of finding mosquitos in what was formerly a safe zone that I found off putting. Think I’m going to see if filling them full of arrows is a good idea tonight.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Just go in a straight line from the ant hill to the oak tree. The etch a sketch is way out of the way of the direct route.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm loving this game, it's the only survival game that I've enjoyed. But also I loving hate this game. The tier 2 barricade as everyone stated earlier really is so bad I have thought about uninstalling and calling it good.

I really hate the combat. I can barely damage the bugs, meanwhile almost every bug can kill me in 2 or 3 unavoidable hits. I can't even outrun them, most catch me and kill me. Almost every enemy has a lunge attack but it doesn't feel like a set distance, rather that it can just close whatever gap you put in. Add to that the fact that the animations for attacks have a windup, then a freeze or neutral pose, then launch "out of nowhere" makes it incredibly frustrating to try and block, especially when I get maybe two attempts to do so per try. The combat feels really awful and I'm hoping if I can bash my head into the wall long enough to get tier 2 gear (I have t2 hammer, ant club, and axe but they feel like they don't help at all) maybe I can brute force through the game. The shield feels like it does nothing for me.

Meanwhile, I did at least have a fun story the other night when I booted up just to see if I could turn the difficulty down.

I finally got some wolf spider fangs and venom. I built my house near the red anthill and as I'm home, waiting for 2100 to go to bed and chopping some grass right next to the house I hear some shuffling and see some distant grass shifting. Suddenly it hits me OH poo poo THAT'S A WOLF SPIDER COMING TOWARDS MY HOUSE! So it gets to my house, I've already headed inside and am cowering, and it goes off. I head back outside to cut some more grass and keep a watchful eye out. Sure enough it comes back but this time from the direction of the nearby base station, somewhere that has always been extremely safe. This is terrifying and I head back inside again, go upstairs, and cower. I watch the grass shift, think it's clipping through the wall, and watch it head off to the north. Towards the anthill.... WAIT A MINUTE! I go grab my ant armor, put it on, and head to the window to watch. Sure enough it goes right up to the anthill and triggers the swarm. I spend a tense few minutes watching red eyes in the darkness bat back and forth before eventually seeing some legs shoot skyward and curl up. I dash out and go grab the corpse for material before heading home and going to sleep. gently caress that guy, glad he's dead.

e: Oh, also this game is a perfect example of one reason I loving hate early access. In looking for hints and help on how to make combat easier or more enjoyable everything is six months to two years old. Found a video that was like bombardier beetles are easy, just go up to them and circle strafe with melee! They have an aoe to counter that now, thanks ancient wrong loving video that's the number one result of a search.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I really hate the combat. I can barely damage the bugs, meanwhile almost every bug can kill me in 2 or 3 unavoidable hits. I can't even outrun them, most catch me and kill me. Almost every enemy has a lunge attack but it doesn't feel like a set distance, rather that it can just close whatever gap you put in. Add to that the fact that the animations for attacks have a windup, then a freeze or neutral pose, then launch "out of nowhere" makes it incredibly frustrating to try and block, especially when I get maybe two attempts to do so per try. The combat feels really awful and I'm hoping if I can bash my head into the wall long enough to get tier 2 gear (I have t2 hammer, ant club, and axe but they feel like they don't help at all) maybe I can brute force through the game. The shield feels like it does nothing for me.

I suck at perfect blocking, but my weevil shield is doing fine even against orb weavers, even with just holding it out. You might be doing yourself more harm than good by trying to time parrys instead of just holding your shield up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Likely. But I still take a good chunk of damage when blocking and with how long the fights are lasting I'm pretty sure either the shield will break or I will.

Also how are people feeling about eating and drinking? I literally haven't had an issue with it beyond a long winded setpiece that kept me away from either for 30 to 45 minutes but someone else who's been playing is having extreme difficulty and dying to thirst repeatedly. Not sure if they don't know to just look up or what.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Likely. But I still take a good chunk of damage when blocking and with how long the fights are lasting I'm pretty sure either the shield will break or I will.

Also how are people feeling about eating and drinking? I literally haven't had an issue with it beyond a long winded setpiece that kept me away from either for 30 to 45 minutes but someone else who's been playing is having extreme difficulty and dying to thirst repeatedly. Not sure if they don't know to just look up or what.

It's been trivial everywhere except the Hedge where it was a pain, but I had Canteen+ by then so no biggie. Hardly ever even have to use it if grass is around, I think they're just not trying to stay ahead of it.

I don't lose health on a block but I'm also using ladybug armor which has a +blocking strength so maybe that's it. Didn't feel like much of a thing with acorn armor either. Eventually your shield will max out on how much it can block and then you either take damage or get stunned, not sure. I've largely given up on perfect blocks, I'm just not that good despite recognizing that it isn't a particularly challenging parry system.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fighting will feel unfair until you can craft T2 armor; the Ladybug armor felt like the first time I was able to take hits during a fight without really having to worry about blocking at all. Until then make sure you always have bandages on hand and any food/smoothies you can make. Cooked meat chunks give you like 50HP so cook up some aphids before going out so you can quickly heal chunks while your bandages slowly heal the rest. Def stick with the shield for now and keep the shield up instead of parrying. You'll still take chip damage but once you get the better armor and can afford to take a couple hits the parrying becomes easier to figure out since it's not all riding on you blocking that hit or not.

Eating and drinking has sorta been a non-issue since very early on. Regularly checking for dew and cooking a lot of aphids helped stay on top of that but we have two dew catchers now at our base and there's almost always a full tank reserved plus 8 droplets between both of the dew catchers.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^ I did not know eating healed as I've only used it for hunger. Good to know.

I'll start trying that, two hits and then just hold block until they attack. Swear to God if this completely changes the game I'm going to be so mad at myself...

Also I don't have a fear of insects or spiders, I have an aversion to touching them. Anything with an exoskeleton or that goes crunch is unpleasant as gently caress so this game is a thing. Actually for the most part it's not, the art makes them look relatively soft or at least non-crunchy. But eating an aphid where you just bring the whole thing right up to the camera? I either have to do it with the inventory open or close my eyes, it freaks me the gently caress out.

At least nothing in this game will trigger my thalassophobia, right guys? Right? :v:

I couldn't play Subnautica due to the reapers and they weren't even the worst. The koi in Sekiro hosed with me even. Can't imagine it'll be good here....

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 6, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Honestly the best strat, especially solo, seems like setting up near the red ant hill and just picking off workers and a soldier or two (via long range aggro like arrows or rocks), making red ant armor to become the Humant and just luring Ladybugs and Wolf Spiders over. The early lady bug parts and then rushing the hedge to grab enough berry chunks to make the leather would def let you get t2 armor pretty fast.

The latter is more difficult because the spider will actively focus you even as soldier ants swarm it, and if you die+respawn solo the spider just seems to magically de-aggro and wander away from the hill whilst the soldier ants stare at each other in a circle.

Pro tip: don't think running inside the ant hill will save you from an aggro'd spider. It can follow you down.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I couldn't play Subnautica due to the reapers and they weren't even the worst. The koi in Sekiro hosed with me even. Can't imagine it'll be good here....

Ahahaha :shepface:

(it's not so bad because you can see it at all times but there's a big ol koi fish)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah. Plus if it's not terribly aggressive and more a predator of opportunity that I can actively avoid I should be fine. If nothing else I can just save the underwater parts for streaming on Discord with friends so they can hold my little baby hand.

Even the water fleas freaked me out but also they look like loving horrors.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!
how's the damage on the bratburst? specifically, can it one-shot wolf spiders? i had the thought of grenading the wolf spider den under the oak tree but id rather not waste resources and get torn apart if its known not to work

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

croup coughfield posted:

how's the damage on the bratburst? specifically, can it one-shot wolf spiders? i had the thought of grenading the wolf spider den under the oak tree but id rather not waste resources and get torn apart if its known not to work

I don't know about the bratburst damage but I do know that those spiders wander off outside of the den during the day and possibly at night so you can get in there without having to kill any spiders if you're checking and quick to get in/out when they're gone. There's an explosives wall in there that is worth blowing open.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

explosivo posted:

I don't know about the bratburst damage but I do know that those spiders wander off outside of the den during the day and possibly at night so you can get in there without having to kill any spiders if you're checking and quick to get in/out when they're gone. There's an explosives wall in there that is worth blowing open.

oh, i had no idea about the wall lol. i just wanted easy fangs

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My few orb weaver kills have been bullshit of stand on something high lol spiders can't climb. It takes about 50 basic arrows with an unupgraded bow. Are wolf spiders similarly vulnerable to cheese or nah?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

croup coughfield posted:

bratbursts are poo poo, they're really only good for killing dense pockets of smaller enemies.

An upgraded Coaltana murders the wolf spiders in 2 combos. Once you have it, spiders become less "ahh scary" and more "how many more of you wanna die?". That sword itself is impossible to get until you have the antlion armour and fresh defense mutation, though. Once you have those it's merely difficult to get.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is also eased by upgrades you get. You'll eventually get a fridge that stops meat from spoiling, and a canteen that can filter water. On longer trips, always look for sparkles on the ground. you can find chests that have meals in them. You eventually learn the digable spots.

If you chop down a mushroom and then drop some of the chunks, you'll get a whole bunch of weevils showing up to chow down, and there is the stuff to build a roasting spit almost everywhere on the map. I've got probably 20 out there in random places.

The big Koi is a bro, basically just stay out of his mouth. You may not enjoy the diving bell spiders though. They're small but creepy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

My few orb weaver kills have been bullshit of stand on something high lol spiders can't climb. It takes about 50 basic arrows with an unupgraded bow. Are wolf spiders similarly vulnerable to cheese or nah?

Wolf spiders can jump, so they're harder to cheese and I haven't really found a way. My friend tried plinking at one from a lilipad once and it jumped from the edge of the pond onto the goddamn lilipad. They're still real fuckers even where I'm at now in the game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

explosivo posted:

Wolf spiders can jump, so they're harder to cheese and I haven't really found a way. My friend tried plinking at one from a lilipad once and it jumped from the edge of the pond onto the goddamn lilipad. They're still real fuckers even where I'm at now in the game.

If you really want it easier early on, you can build clay pillars across the oak tree entrances and the entrance to the hole under the board, and stand outside of it plinking away at them with a bow and arrow while they struggle against the pillar.

That's how i cheesed the black widows as well.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Powershift posted:

bratbursts are poo poo, they're really only good for killing dense pockets of smaller enemies.

sucks to hear but thanks

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I feel like the milk molar message that pops up when you find the first one should probably emphasize just how important those are, I feel almost to the point where you should Rush getting the level 2 Hammer to get as many of those as possible. Upgraded health, stamina, reduced hunger and thirst, heal multiplier, carry more stuff. They're a big deal but compared to how many other things you can be doing but they don't 'feel' too important

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 6, 2022

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wait what? I literally didn't know about these things. Saw them but assumed they were like mints or whatever.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Evil Kit posted:

Honestly the best strat, especially solo, seems like setting up near the red ant hill and just picking off workers and a soldier or two (via long range aggro like arrows or rocks), making red ant armor to become the Humant and just luring Ladybugs and Wolf Spiders over. The early lady bug parts and then rushing the hedge to grab enough berry chunks to make the leather would def let you get t2 armor pretty fast.

The latter is more difficult because the spider will actively focus you even as soldier ants swarm it, and if you die+respawn solo the spider just seems to magically de-aggro and wander away from the hill whilst the soldier ants stare at each other in a circle.

Pro tip: don't think running inside the ant hill will save you from an aggro'd spider. It can follow you down.

Yeah I'm playing on Whoa! and cheese seems like the way to go for ladybugs, bombardiers, and stinkbugs. They all hit super hard and AOE from the latter two is kinda brutal with T1 gear. I feel like ladybugs might be kinda kitable/strafable but they also 1-shot me so it's playing with fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

On some level I really don't even consider things you can like that you can do as "cheese". You're a tiny human vs these giant insects and arachnids that really should hold the absolute advantage over you in almost every way, except one: Brains. It's just super fitting for the setting that the best and easiest way to beat the bugs is coming up with clever strategies using all the means given to you.

Definitely gonna steal the clay column trick for the wolf spider.den, that's absolutely genius .

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah I'm playing on Whoa! and cheese seems like the way to go for ladybugs, bombardiers, and stinkbugs. They all hit super hard and AOE from the latter two is kinda brutal with T1 gear. I feel like ladybugs might be kinda kitable/strafable but they also 1-shot me so it's playing with fire.

I actually think Bombardier beetles are easy even in t1 stuff. You just need to recognize the shotgun and AOE spit tells to run from and you can easily block/parry the regular bites to beat them to death.

I also haven't legitimately fought a ladybug yet, but the few times I've joined in the soldier ant gang to kill them the block tings don't seem too difficult.