Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good soup! posted:

On the one hand, he can improve, BUT on the other:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/cam-york-among-flyers-roster-cuts-puzzling-move-team?amp

lol the flyers are going to make every player insane and drive them away even more

This is the part where I tweet that I have inside sources that tell me Cam York has requested a trade, so I can act like a super connected insider when, indeed, tomorrow morning Kevin Weekes tweets a video of himself dangling from a helicopter over a volcano shouting "CAM YORK HAS REQUESTED A TRADE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/jonmoxIeys/status/1577816621543981057

:lol:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m watching Keumper play goalie for the Caps and it’s like “Samsonov would’ve let that in. Vanacek would’ve let that in.” Over and over and over all night.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Habs apparently unaware that public opinion doesn't count for lottery odds.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Not a great start for our olds.

https://twitter.com/CapitalsPR/status/1577823537213198339?t=IA1jVQKcS9wVeSevwghPtA&s=19

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Oshie will be lucky to play 40 games this year. He tries to play a physical game but forgets that his bones and joints are made of dust.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cartoon Man posted:

That begs the question, who’s coach is on the hot seat from the get go this year? I think the Caps move on from Lavs if we flame out in round one again or miss the playoffs.

rutherford is in the media like every other day trashing the canucks preparedness and systems. this after trying real hard to get him to opt out of his final year this summer so boudreau is probably axed the second things go slightly wrong

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I guess the Stars finally signed Robertson

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/1577876439310880769?s=20&t=w54qBy1fiQEcA4dKOFihMw

Seems like he could have held out for more but hey

e: they made the graphic stupidly tall, it’s 4x$7.75M

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure why he didn't hold out for 2 or 3 years but I guess he decided he's definitely worth less than Barzal for some reason (yes I know that contract is almost all UFA years).

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Cool for Dallas and Gagliardi that they got a 23-year old 40-goal scorer for under $8mil, but he’s getting mega-paid in four years as a UFA with the higher cap ceiling

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
nhl n/v october: to me it's a positive meeting. Although it kind of sucks for you.

nhl n/v October: joyless yeast ring

Not sure which I like more

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

I'm not sure why he didn't hold out for 2 or 3 years but I guess he decided he's definitely worth less than Barzal for some reason (yes I know that contract is almost all UFA years).

Guarantee the sticking point was Dallas wanting it to be 2-3 and him wanting to have it take him to ufa. Dallas wins short term but now also has a ticking clock to convince him they're sorry for hardballing him

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
He's still a RFA at the end of it, according to CapFriendly, is that an error? He'll be 26 when this contract comes to an end.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fermun posted:

He's still a RFA at the end of it, according to CapFriendly, is that an error? He'll be 26 when this contract comes to an end.

Ah that's right. I guess his leverage is arbitration eligibility and a $9.3MM qualifying cost so... it's not entirely in his control at that point but he's got a lot more leverage to get what he wants or walk

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Last night was the full dress rehearsal for the Caps and I liked what I saw, especially from Keumper. Knock on wood Oshie is ok, but let’s be real, the odds of him making it through an entire season without something happening was always going to be slim. We’re still going to be a bubble team but if Keumper stands tall, we’ll be on the inside looking out for most of the season.

Here’s where Ovi’s at:

If he starts out hot like last season he can overtake Gordon Howe by Christmas.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 6, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Last night was the full dress rehearsal for the Caps and I liked what I saw, especially from Keumper. Knock on wood Oshie is ok, but let’s be real, the odds of him making it through an entire season without something happening was always going to be slim. We’re still going to be a bubble team but if Keumper stands tall, we’ll be on the inside looking out for most of the season.

Strome and Brown are looking really good in their roles too. It's kind of why I'm not super worried about Osh.

Plus if he hosed up his shoulder at least that means McMichael can slot in somewhere because otherwise he's not going to be anything other than their extra roster forward.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Last year with the Avs, Kuemper had some few lucky games but took until about December to really be comfortable with the new system (and also he got injured for a couple weeks early in the season which didn't help his transition). Also even when he's healthy and standing on his head putting up like 0.950 save percentages every third game or so he'll let in just the absolute softest goal because he occasionally panics and puts himself out of position. Don't panic if he has a slow start or lets in some softies, because the man can do it and will be a top 5 goalie over the season as a whole.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fermun posted:

Last year with the Avs, Kuemper had some few lucky games but took until about December to really be comfortable with the new system (and also he got injured for a couple weeks early in the season which didn't help his transition). Also even when he's healthy and standing on his head putting up like 0.950 save percentages every third game or so he'll let in just the absolute softest goal because he occasionally panics and puts himself out of position. Don't panic if he has a slow start or lets in some softies, because the man can do it and will be a top 5 goalie over the season as a whole.

So we’ll go from having two goalies (Samsonov/Vanacek) who let in 1-2 softies per game to having a goalie that might let in one every three games. Works for me!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh god, the season starts tomorrow. :woop:

It's only one game but still.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zat posted:

Oh god, the season starts tomorrow. :woop:

It's only one game but still.

That’s still preseason. Regular season starts Tuesday night with the following prime time nationally televised games:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

That’s still preseason. Regular season starts Tuesday night with the following prime time nationally televised games:

The 2 games on Friday and Saturday between Sharks and Predators played in Czechia are regular season games, despite the fact that everyone else is still in preseason.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zat posted:

The 2 games on Friday and Saturday between Sharks and Predators played in Czechia are regular season games, despite the fact that everyone else is still in preseason.

Oops, didn’t know that. Weird.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there some Czech connection to those teams? Why did they give them 2 lumbering corpses?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

Is there some Czech connection to those teams? Why did they give them 2 lumbering corpses?

Hertl for the Sharks and I guess it's kinda close to Switzerland for the Preds?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1578005108767559683?s=46&t=vtWuS_sDwkEIQ2oKSgVcsg

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1577864719314128896

Connor still rocks

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Fuuuuck yessss

e: Was genuinely concerned Oettinger and Robo wouldn’t be re-signed

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 6, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ladies and gentlemen the Canucks *jazz hands*

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Surely this will be the year that Connor McDavid single handedly wins the Oilers a Stanley Cup. It’s clearly all his fault they haven’t done it yet.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/chrisbottanhl/status/1578012707000827909?s=46&t=S7AZZHXbyCqu9eMlqwCl6Q

This guy has sucked out loud since he was in Toronto, how the hell does he still have enough clout to get to choose his son as successor?

I’m sure he’s the most qualified candidate though

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ladies and gentlemen the Canucks *jazz hands*

Well I thought Hughes was going to win the Norris!!!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Canucks fans delusional? Well I never?!?!?!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hughes is a world class player and actually pretty good defensively, that clip of course does not display that at all. This was his first game back on the left side because management galaxy brained themselves by saying they'd solved the defensive problems by moving him to the right side with OEL. It didn't work.

He's not gonna win the Norris because Makar, Hedman, Fox and Josi exist but he did finish 13th in Norris voting this year.

Yes I'm being touchy but how dare any of you disparage by beautiful stoner boy Quinn.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisbottanhl/status/1578012707000827909?s=46&t=S7AZZHXbyCqu9eMlqwCl6Q

This guy has sucked out loud since he was in Toronto, how the hell does he still have enough clout to get to choose his son as successor?

I’m sure he’s the most qualified candidate though

Fail sons running huge million dollar enterprises rules

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

He seems Norris caliber relative to what Vancouver has trotted out on the backend for quite some time was also an acceptable answer.

Edit: ^^^^ as is traditional.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

This was his first game back on the left side because management galaxy brained themselves by saying they'd solved the defensive problems by moving him to the right side with OEL. It didn't work.

Lmao this owns

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think it’s pretty funny that Lou has figured out a way to continue ruining the Isles even after his mortal husk fails him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yo when did the Canucks put the Johnny logo at center ice

that rules

E: oh that's Abbotsford

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It's Connor McDavid, it doesn't matter who the defender is, he's going to embarrass them at some point. Doesn't matter how good someone is at defence, McDavid is better at the rush than anyone is at stopping it so it's going to happen eventually.

If he's giving stuff like that up to randos, that's a problem.

McDavid with a head of steam off the rush like the Ovie PP shot. You can't judge a goalie/defence based on how dumb they look on the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

It's Connor McDavid, it doesn't matter who the defender is, he's going to embarrass them at some point. Doesn't matter how good someone is at defence, McDavid is better at the rush than anyone is at stopping it so it's going to happen eventually.

If he's giving stuff like that up to randos, that's a problem.

McDavid with a head of steam off the rush like the Ovie PP shot. You can't judge a goalie/defence based on how dumb they look on the play.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1532517038928830473

I'm sure he has or will clown Cale at some point but still.