Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

No it's that she's a limosine liberal who's fine doing balls and charity work, but isn't really going to put herself at risk. It's pretty clear she's dissatisfied with the courage of her own convictions and something is gonna happen that'll motivator to go all in. OR, depending on how you read her scene with Luthien - rather than that she's a dilettante that Luthien is trying to soak for funds but an actual, integral leader in the nascent rebellion - she's frustrated to be seen as a limousine liberal by her daughter when she's actually doing some badass poo poo.

Actually I just talked myself into the latter

I mean, her husband and Daughter are probably just cool with the fascism because they are well off and living well, and Mon Mothma is probably just busy as poo poo in general and more of a detached working parent.

But yeah it's the latter, Mon Mothma is liberal who is with the shits as far as knowing what the problems are and wanting to find a way to resolve it, however she as shown in like Rogue One, and other media, has lines she won't cross that she views as reprehensible. While Luthen and Saw are more by any means necessary, but by just providing money directly to Luthen who is doing real poo poo she's doing more than like any other "limousine liberal" would do. Which is give speeches and rely on rhetoric.

She is a revolutionary in a world where the balance is at facism.

Useful, until you get back to a point where the facism and politics is less open facism, and the more mundane, normal Republic era levels of destitution and oppression. But you worry about having to cross that bridge when you actually get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Isometric Bacon posted:

This is perhaps a me and my partner thing, but looking up the actor who plays the imperial intelligence agent who visited the garrison this episode revealed he was the one who did the voice for Budge in the green screen / puppet show Big Babies.

So now whenever he appears on screen we expect he's interrogating townsfolk for biscuits.

I recognise him mainly from British comedy stuff, half imagined him going "Yes i sell drugs but thats not the point" as soon as i saw him in on this show.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i agree with the mothma family discourse so far but to add that the read i got is that the daughter will eventually become sympathetic to the cause while the husband will not. the teen was a jerk but she was a jerk about possibly legitimate attention issues

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mameluke posted:

Those were mentats. Those let that guy read minds

That owns. I liked how before his main scene it built him up like he was going to be this like ice cold interrogation torture master monster but he was generally pretty chill and didn't even really want to be there himself lol

i say swears online posted:

i agree with the mothma family discourse so far but to add that the read i got is that the daughter will eventually become sympathetic to the cause while the husband will not. the teen was a jerk but she was a jerk about possibly legitimate attention issues

Agreed. We don't really get much about her political outlook in that scene, just her immediate issues with Mom ( :haw: ) Mothma's work/life balance. I'm not sure how much time the daughter will get but it will be interesting to see her reaction if her mom's actions are found out. I could definitely see her being sympathetic on the basis of her actually doing something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

She's actively involved in the rebellion and has been for years by this point. Luthen can afford to take off his wig and go gunfight corpos. One of the big senators on Coruscant trying to go full "DOWN WITH THE EMPIRE" is going to get black bagged. We already know that 5 years from this episode Palpatine simply dissolves the Senate entirely. You're not going to do a goddamn thing if you martyr yourself uselessly while in a position of power.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
People don't appreciate the pine tree until autumn. Mon Mothma and her husband probably didn't disagree much during the Republic because they are creatures of the system. During the war, they were both hawks but as the war progressed they found out they were hawks for different reasons. The divide grew from there.

It happens again and again. It happened with Carter, it happened with Clinton, it happened with Obama and Hillary. Then it bubbles to the surface with Biden when people were unwilling to let the status quo of the noble republic that had become the evil empire stand.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Go to bed dude.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Those two lazy imperial assholes who want to watch the sky go all crazy instead of paint the rail or whatever are going to gently caress up the hiest, aren't they.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Parkingtigers posted:

You know what made me almost audibly yelp this episode? The loving seat fabric in Syril's home. That set, his mum's clothes, the tablewear, it looked so 1970s. This could come from any sci-fi movie made in that era. poo poo, I'm just old enough to vaguely remember how lovely the texture of the sofa fabrics was back then, all rough and scratchy and a massive massive fire risk. All holdovers from late 60s to late 70s still lingering in 80s homes. I have the urge to use the word Draylon for the first time in decades.

Look at me gushing over chair fabrics.

Glad I'm not the only one who had the same reaction

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Andor has given us broad insight into a cross-section of Space Breakfasts.

Space cereal

Space continental breakfast

Space goat milk

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

AndyElusive posted:

Those two lazy imperial assholes who want to watch the sky go all crazy instead of paint the rail or whatever are going to gently caress up the hiest, aren't they.

the lieutenant smiled as he was walking away (all according to keikaku). i figured he was all "stay at your post" to the guy chilling outside for the same reason – to prove he was being strict and by the book when he gets interviewed by the isb.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I could definitely see her being sympathetic on the basis of her actually doing something.

There's probably room for her to go the other way too. She's a wealthy politician's kid who's grown up with the Empire as the default worldstate, and her family's homeworld rhymes with Shangri-La, so even among the other senate families she's probably never really seen the true face of the Empire. She's a few years younger than Leia, so it could be interesting to see her elsewhere in the franchise as her pro-Imperial counterpart.

exmarx posted:

i figured he was all "stay at your post" to the guy chilling outside for the same reason – to prove he was being strict and by the book when he gets interviewed by the isb.

It probably also helps the infiltration to not have him staring off the edge of the dam right towards where they're going to be coming out of the woods in their disguises.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Isometric Bacon posted:

I was amused how the rear end in a top hat pilot was buzzing the natives, thinking real world analogies where it'd be something he'd be reprimanded for if he did it to the military, but then he did it again over the base and I was reminded oh yeah, this is Star Wars. Half the job of a TIE fighter pilot is to buzz past the camera to show off the might of the Empire.

Think of it as an Apache helicopter buzzing some afghans sheepherders who are really insurgents.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Madurai posted:

Andor has given us broad insight into a cross-section of Space Breakfasts.

Space cereal

Space continental breakfast

Space goat milk

Mrs Karn is upset you've left out the space fruit platter.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

AndyElusive posted:

Someone in the writer’s room or production has served in the military and they disseminated their knowledge to the director’s team on exactly how to frame that scene, to perfection.

I was feeling those poor sods so hard. loving paint a rail. Again? It was loving painted 3 months ago, boss. For a dignitary who won’t give a single glance?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol that a dinner party in a Star Wars show is the new fireworks factory

You may mock sir but I was promised a dinner party so I expect a dinner party! I demand awkward small talk over canapes!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I missed some dialogue during the scene with Mothma's daughter but I also got the impression MM uses the errands and routines of her family life to deflect suspicion away from her other activities.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

A Bad King posted:

Someone in the writer’s room or production has served in the military and they disseminated their knowledge to the director’s team on exactly how to frame that scene, to perfection.

I was feeling those poor sods so hard. loving paint a rail. Again? It was loving painted 3 months ago, boss. For a dignitary who won’t give a single glance?

There are a few military advisors listed in the credits

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like that the comm officer (??) was out for a quick smoke. Puffin on a deathstick

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

Gorn is sending them outside on purpose. By making it seem like he's giving them a break to watch the cool light show, he's ensuring only a skeleton crew is actually inside the base where the payroll is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, he's making them think it's THEIR idea.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
There's also a lot of "looking up while being attacked from below" foreshadowing. Everyone's gonna be looking at the cool glowing sky rocks when the attack comes from a different angle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So what is the over/under for how many of the rebels die during the heist? I would say it’s 2.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

FlamingLiberal posted:

So what is the over/under for how many of the rebels die during the heist? I would say it’s 2.

The healer and the guy with the manifesto die for sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are you suggesting the plan is going to...

go off the rails?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
any k2 droids there maybe one tags along

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cry Havoc posted:

any k2 droids there maybe one tags along

I think they said they weren't doing him this season and old Alan Two-Dicks said he didn't do any work on the show.

Yeah the Manifesto might as well have been that kid showing him his beautiful wife and baby back home. Kid's toast, sorry to say.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

The healer and the guy with the manifesto die for sure.

I doubt they're killing off one-half of Star Wars' newest gay couple.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Necrothatcher posted:

I doubt they're killing off one-half of Star Wars' newest gay couple.

I was listening to Rebel Force Radio today for the first time again in a long while, and the two hosts were speculating "which of the guys" Cinta was "sharing her blanket" with. Vel was mentioned as an afterthought with a laugh, after the option "maybe all of the guys, LOL". :rolleyes:
Glad to see goons aren't the only ones bad at watching shows.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Karn's mom rules. She reminds me a lot of the mom from Sopranos and a whole bunch of the moms in the irish and italian parts of philly. You know, the ones that all became cops, and the real power base of the Fraternal Order of Police

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I want all of the heist crew to survive for once, albeit by the skin of their teeth via some swerves and shenanigans.

They can then retire to grow pepper trees and herd space sheep on the peaceful planet of Alderaan. :unsmith:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dave Syndrome posted:

I was listening to Rebel Force Radio today for the first time again in a long while, and the two hosts were speculating "which of the guys" Cinta was "sharing her blanket" with. Vel was mentioned as an afterthought with a laugh, after the option "maybe all of the guys, LOL". :rolleyes:
Glad to see goons aren't the only ones bad at watching shows.

Lmao I figured it was her and then her later saying "She didn't even tell me" was proof enough for me.

I like that even though, or perhaps maybe BECAUSE he was told Cinta was taken he like almost absent mindedly started trying to charm her. I can see how he gets in so much trouble.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i'm gonna take a wild guess and say that everyone makes it out alive (but not necessarily unharmed) since they all seem to be set up for a cliche'd death and i don't think this show will take the easy route. the dude in charge while vel is away probably takes a hit or something and cassian has to step up. high probability that he has to do some cold blooded murder to keep the plan from falling apart.

it's not clear in rogue one why the alliance is okay with cassian "no witnesses" andor while saw gerrera is an "extremist," but i get the impression that cassian is way harder than this rebel cell and will do whatever it takes to get the job done - and luthen knows it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Ash1138 posted:

i'm gonna take a wild guess and say that everyone makes it out alive (but not necessarily unharmed) since they all seem to be set up for a cliche'd death and i don't think this show will take the easy route. the dude in charge while vel is away probably takes a hit or something and cassian has to step up. high probability that he has to do some cold blooded murder to keep the plan from falling apart.

it's not clear in rogue one why the alliance is okay with cassian "no witnesses" andor while saw gerrera is an "extremist," but i get the impression that cassian is way harder than this rebel cell and will do whatever it takes to get the job done - and luthen knows it.

imo its quite a big difference between a guy whos willing to crack a few eggs to make an omelette and a guy who advocates violent rebellion as a large scale political strategy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of the problems with Disney Star Wars is that it's a franchise about violent revolution but none of the good guys are allowed to be the kind of people who would ever take part in a violent revolution

Edit: See also Boba Fett, the crime lord who doesn't smuggle drugs or hire enforcers to collect money from his nonexistent rackets

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Yeah when we meet Cassian in Rogue One he's all 'we have done horrible things for this cause' so I expect we're going to see him at least start to make those kinds of choices before the end of this series.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

Karn's mom rules. She reminds me a lot of the mom from Sopranos and a whole bunch of the moms in the irish and italian parts of philly. You know, the ones that all became cops, and the real power base of the Fraternal Order of Police

It’s basically a Larry King cameo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Gorn is sending them outside on purpose. By making it seem like he's giving them a break to watch the cool light show, he's ensuring only a skeleton crew is actually inside the base where the payroll is.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, he's making them think it's THEIR idea.

:doh: Ohhhhhhhhhhh. That darn Gorn!

I misread that scene entirely.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I predicted to my gf last night that all of them (with the exception of Andor obviously) die.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 6, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'd say the Imperial officer is the most obvious wind-up-dead candidate, if only because dramatically, his role would have ended (they aren't going to "climb the same fence twice" as Ms. ISB put it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

The Empire, apparently, does not believe in direct deposit and hands out little bags of coins