Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah you want a stiff brush baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Mine just started enjoying having a blanket, she's 3.

Yeah, mine didn't keep his duvet on for years, but then he got it, and now at 5 he is absolutely into it. Also ours, sometimes he'll go into our bed to sleep and just sweat a whole bunch because he's wrapped up in a giant duvet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The four year old, despite not having seen Frozen, has developed specific and passionate opinions on "Elsa and Anna" via osmosis at school. Specifically, she subscribes to the theory that Anna has "fire powers," which as I understand it is not textually supported and appears to be the QAnon of the preschool set.

I think Anna had fire powers in the live-action ABC show, Once Upon a Time. Also there's a third sister, I don't remember all the details.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
E: Wrong thread

stump collector
May 28, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Dear C-SPAM parents how do I tell if my brain is fried because of (Long?) COVID or if it's fried by having a six-month old who has decided that he hates sleep?

I dont remember poo poo from that era of my life and it happened right before covid

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
doing some research into having a kid and holy loving poo poo, the cost of daycare

i get that capitalism killed community, the idea of a child being raised by grandparents, extended family, trusted neighbours etc is dead because community died. but if the alternative is this horrible nuclear family thing then why is even that unaffordable and out of reach

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mila kunis posted:

doing some research into having a kid and holy loving poo poo, the cost of daycare

i get that capitalism killed community, the idea of a child being raised by grandparents, extended family, trusted neighbours etc is dead because community died. but if the alternative is this horrible nuclear family thing then why is even that unaffordable and out of reach

even better, if you're still willing to drop like $2,500 a month there are still wait lists!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The economics of daycares are completely hosed, too.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am really glad daycare is relatively "affordable" in my area, we're paying less than 1k/month. a friend of mine who lives in DC just had a kid and the ones they're looking at are like 3k/month!!! for one kid!!! completely insane.

well our daycare costs are about to shoot up since we're fixing to have a kid in a few months but i guess that is easier to swallow.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Cheaper to swallow too

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We're considering moving to Seattle for work but lmao how much are they going to have to pay to replicate the $1,500 mortgage and $800 Montessori preschool?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
we were on a waiting list when my spouse was like 3 months pregnant and we got lucky to get in. you really have to be on a list before conception now.

even my kid’s old day care which was a teaching one attached to a community college that had a week break in fall and summer as well as 3 gd weeks over the holidays had a year waiting list.

unless multiple generations of your family never moved and had the fortune of actually retiring in decent health it sucks.

we also had our kid in our late 30s so grandparent help was going to be tough anyway. however, I would have been a poo poo parent if I had a kid any earlier so I wouldn’t change that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This book was a loving godsend and had our kid sleeping uninterrupted overnight after a few months.

Also I don't need my copy anymore so pm me and I'll send it to you.

Thanks, I think for him it's a combination of teething and having his usual sleep schedule hosed up by COVID but I'll PM you if this goes on for too long. I think it's actually getting a little better since I posted that but the fucker keeps waking up an hour after we put him down for bed :argh: Trust me bud, you'll never have this much free time again in your life so you better sleep now while you can!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son only woke up once last night. he needs to get those numbers down to zero please. i would like to get a solid eight hours of sleep again, before our daughter is born. please.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

i am really glad daycare is relatively "affordable" in my area, we're paying less than 1k/month. a friend of mine who lives in DC just had a kid and the ones they're looking at are like 3k/month!!! for one kid!!! completely insane.

well our daycare costs are about to shoot up since we're fixing to have a kid in a few months but i guess that is easier to swallow.

DC's insane childcare costs were one of the major reasons behind our relocation last year. Loved the city but even the greater metro area had home daycare services - not even a dedicated center/facility - that wanted $1,000+ a week and I struggle to imagine how anyone can afford having kids in that area.

I send my kids to a well rated place here in Rhode Island with all kinds of bells and whistles on the care side (music lessons, snacks, other classes, etc) and I feel like I'm paying less than a quarter of what I had been in Silver Spring

Brutally hosed up situation

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Good soup! posted:

DC's insane childcare costs were one of the major reasons behind our relocation last year. Loved the city but even the greater metro area had home daycare services - not even a dedicated center/facility - that wanted $1,000+ a week and I struggle to imagine how anyone can afford having kids in that area.

I send my kids to a well rated place here in Rhode Island with all kinds of bells and whistles on the care side (music lessons, snacks, other classes, etc) and I feel like I'm paying less than a quarter of what I had been in Silver Spring

yeah i have been looking at relocating to a city where it's actually feasible to ditch our cars (like DC, as one example) but its like, hahahaha look how much daycare costs!!! gotta get these kids in school before any of that is feasible. this country fuckin sucks.

another bad thing about the US: my wife has been feeling very bad due to pregnancy but has continued to go to work because she doesn't get any paid time off at all for childbirth, she has to use her sick/vacation days, so she doesn't want to use any of them prior to giving birth. greaet poo poo, love it here.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lobster shirt posted:

my son only woke up once last night. he needs to get those numbers down to zero please. i would like to get a solid eight hours of sleep again, before our daughter is born. please.

Good news: my 3.5 year old is finally consistently sleeping through the night!

Bad news: my 5 year old has decided she is terrified of everything Halloween and comes into our room every night :negative:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Good soup! posted:

Silver Spring is where we are and yeah the childcare is nuts. We were trying to do tours and get on wait lists but the kid came early and disrupted those plans. Now it's October and we're looking for openings in May when my leave will end (taking after the wife's is up) and there have been only a couple places. Back in June there were a handful of openings for August 2023 so I'm sure it's gotten better!

We have enough savings that we can probably swing three years of childcare by not putting anything else away, not going on vacations, and praying the roof/appliances don't fail. But I've been trying to drill into my wife that we just can't do this with two kids. Like maybe if I get a new job with a pretty substantial increase in salary, but then I'd probably be less available with twice the child duties.

And we make twice the median household income here! What the gently caress.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you have a young child, for many people the choice between a single-income and dual-income household is wholly aesthetic, because the parent that earns less will be making about as much money, total, as it costs to get the childcare necessary for a dual-income household.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mila kunis posted:

our federal government launched a program to create $10/day daycare, and our dumbass province was the last to sign on and the first to cave to for-profit daycares to change the rules so they can funnel the subsidy into their profits rather than reduce the cost of childcare.

I love Doug Ford

loquacius posted:

If you have a young child, for many people the choice between a single-income and dual-income household is wholly aesthetic, because the parent that earns less will be making about as much money, total, as it costs to get the childcare necessary for a dual-income household.

yep, this exactly

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

loquacius posted:

Yes but if you stop working and have a gap in your employment history it can be harder to start working again in future when daycare is no longer required. It's a great system.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

yeah my sister in law dropped out of the workforce after her son was born because she made way less money than daycare cost, it did not make financial sense to keep working. very cool when people have to put their careers on hold!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Same with my wife -- we were planning to put our kid in daycare at 2 months old, but she used COVID as an excuse to not do that, and ended up much happier for about the same financial outcome.

(oh, plus she's a school counselor, hated remote-only counseling, and now has a very light-hours part-time job she can do during naps, so she gets to keep her resume continuous anyway)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I felt super weird dropping my 2-year-old off at Junior Preschool today so the idea of daycare all day err day at 2 months old seems to me like it would have been pretty tough in retrospect anyway. It's pretty hosed-up that a dual-income household is now basically necessary to make ends meet!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

loquacius posted:

exactly this. we could never afford seattle childcare in a million years, so we were forced to become a single-income household that bleeds money and accumulates debt, as opposed to a dual-income household that goes bankrupt in like half a year

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The second wave of feminism was entrusted to rich bougie libs to accomplish and to carry out its legacy, so now women can Have It All, IF they are rich enough to afford childcare, which most people aren't, so now they just have to Do It All instead.

I keep saying that the most feminist possible thing the government could do is institute universal pre-K and offer stipends to stay-at-home parents in exchange for not using the universal pre-K, because this really would give women ultimate freedom over their reproductive and career choices, but instead we have the neoliberal option, where you can't get childcare and also you won't be able to get an abortion in five years if you live in the wrong state

e: but it's okay because you see it's actually YOUR fault for not voting blue hard enough

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

We're considering moving to Seattle for work but lmao how much are they going to have to pay to replicate the $1,500 mortgage and $800 Montessori preschool?

3000-4000 and 1500 to 3000

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

Our girl is ten weeks old but of course another dogshit part about preterm birth is the adjusted timeline, so we're only just starting the ramp up into peak colic and still have to feed every 2-3 hours. Wife and I have a pretty decent shift system at night so I'm still getting ~5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, but it would be cool to eventually share a bed with her again one day. Sleep training feels impossibly distant.

I'm about three months ahead of you. We had a shift system too, which I think was definitely the right way to go for our sanity and maintaining some semblance of a sleep schedule, but it also gets lonely when you're like two ships in the night at the shift change. Hang in there, though, it can get better. Our little guy is sleeping through the night pretty well, typically 0-1 interruptions (sometimes he wants a bottle to tide him over to breakfast).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Haha, welp. Guess we'll be staying on our blue island in red state hell until the purges come.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

loquacius posted:

taking a few years off puts a real fuckin hole in your resume when you try to go back.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My wife has gone back to work and her salary barely covers the nursery costs we'll be facing in 3 weeks time.

But here's the thing: her job is a FUCKTON easier than looking after a kid so it is absolutely 100% worth it oh my god

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Daycare is also really good for social skills for kids. Turns out that having kids your own age is good for learning problem solving, interactive skills, negotiation and so on.

Or it would be if my kid wasn't on the autism spectrum and didn't just mostly ignore/avoid the other kids.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BonHair posted:

Daycare is also really good for social skills for kids. Turns out that having kids your own age is good for learning problem solving, interactive skills, negotiation and so on.

Or it would be if my kid wasn't on the autism spectrum and didn't just mostly ignore/avoid the other kids.

Drawback is always getting sick

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

can confirm that last week at Junior Preschool my kid contracted some sort of death cold (not COVID, we've been testing) and it has completely incapacitated her and my wife all week, and today when I brought her back like two-thirds of the class was still out sick

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have been sick more times since my son started daycare than i have in my entire adult life prior to him starting daycare. it sucks!!!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

These stories are breaking my heart friends.

We went through it in Canada, where you get ~50 weeks leave with 2/3 salary (up to $2,000 a month max or so) after the birth of child to split as parents see fit + free health care and it still almost broke us financially. Your system is so much worse and hosed up. You're all heroes for taking the plunge imo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

i have been sick more times since my son started daycare than i have in my entire adult life prior to him starting daycare. it sucks!!!

there’s a chat out there showing human immune response by age and it spikes for kids and then parents of kids. basically this is the last time your immune system gets trained against a bunch of new poo poo.

it does suck. it wasn’t as bad for us with kid two, or kid two as he caught a bunch when his brother was at preschool.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

:respek: I used to be so healthy

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

loquacius posted:

100%, if we didn't get a huge discount bc my wife works at the daycare my kid goes to, she would have had to make the choice of working full-time just to cover the cost of daycare, or stay at home with the kid and go stir crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AxGrap posted:

100%, if we didn't get a huge discount bc my wife works at the daycare my kid goes to, she would have had to make the choice of working full-time just to cover the cost of daycare, or stay at home with the kid and go stir crazy.

my wife's sister in laws leaning towards her own daycare out of their house and we're probably going to be her first customers when twins arrive