Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're ever confused about a fancy MBA or executive business term just remember middle managers and executives are chosen for being basically 10 year olds.

Are we there yet?

I want ice cream.

You're not the boss of me.

Are we there yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

I was working on vial filling machines with a fast rotating staff at a plant that specifically sought out poo poo other plants wouldn't touch to undercut, it was 24/7, and the work environment had been toxic for decades.

I am very much going to miss ipc2/3 soldering for whatever I do next.

Oh, dang, yeah. I already worked in a chemistry place that was undercutting everyone and was toxic. But, like, actually toxic. As in, i accidentally got dosed with tear gas there. We had the active ingredient in tear gas in chemical standard form and after a coworker broke the bottle, i was the lucky bunny to find out. Worked with the dioxin chemical putin tried to kill victor yushchenko with, worked with every pesticide known to man…

That job sucked.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I can only assume you've developed some kind of turbo cancer?

:stonk:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rotinaj posted:

Oh, dang, yeah. I already worked in a chemistry place that was undercutting everyone and was toxic. But, like, actually toxic. As in, i accidentally got dosed with tear gas there. We had the active ingredient in tear gas in chemical standard form and after a coworker broke the bottle, i was the lucky bunny to find out. Worked with the dioxin chemical putin tried to kill victor yushchenko with, worked with every pesticide known to man…

That job sucked.

I worked with botulinum, hardcore cat5 chemo drugs and controlled substances long enough while maintaining a gowning bonus and cert that I just stopped thinking about exposure; but I know I totally hosed up a few times doffing a respirator hood and gown when my bunny was covered in spicy dust after unloading a lyo. Never got concentrated botox on my suit outside the bootcover, though!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I worked in radiopharmaceutical manufacturing for awhile and that was spicy enough for me. Stuff with a short half-life that needed to be shipped to Australia or wherever would come out SCREAMING HOT.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

gently caress, I am so glad we only have to deal with our own kegs here and not any from a keg company. The dirties I'd get from the keg company at the last place I worked were universally horrifying, especially anything from Three Floyds. There was one time they'd obviously put a clean keg collar over an old one that was rotting away and had cemented itself to the surface. The worst was the one where old beer had somehow solidified into a semi-gelatinous mass that even concentrated caustic and a chisel couldn't budge. Here, the worst we have to deal with is the bartenders forgetting a keg for weeks and a bit of mold developing on the fitting.

Yeah. You're right. It wasn't that bad. I remember getting a lot of eggs. Those were annoying because after drying out in the heat of the summer or whatever the whites were like glue. Also oil was a pain. Here it's mostly mold.

Edit: Even before we were dealing with a keg rental service, we would get our own kegs back from our distributors covered in weird stuff. I dunno. Maybe people in Seattle are just fuckin' animals.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 6, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. You're right. It wasn't that bad. I remember getting a lot of eggs. Those were annoying because after drying out in the heat of the summer or whatever the whites were like glue. Also oil was a pain. Here it's mostly mold.

Edit: Even before we were dealing with a keg rental service, we would get our own kegs back from our distributors covered in weird stuff. I dunno. Maybe people in Seattle are just fuckin' animals.

This was in Chicago, but I'm sure it's just as bad here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Escape From Noise posted:

You're reminding me that my neighbor left an empty* keg of Yuengling in his back yard, Four years ago.

I'm thinking of cashing it in for the deposit.

*they're never empty

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

You're reminding me that my neighbor left an empty* keg of Yuengling in his back yard, Four years ago.

I'm thinking of cashing it in for the deposit.

*they're never empty

Just hose off the outside. If the inside's really nasty it's not going to be a big deal since most places have some kind of keg washer and it takes no more time than a dirty keg that's not scummy. Cleaning off the outside can be wild. Some come back covered in dirt and pine needles. It's crazy.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i worked in a medical plastics packaging factory with gowning and poo poo, like i'd say it was semi-aseptic if that is a thing. long gowns, hair nets and hand washing, sticky thing on floor in air lock before production floor.

my really light grey shoes slowly took a brown hue in the clean room though? dunno what that is about

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

my really light grey shoes slowly took a brown hue in the clean room though? dunno what that is about

The radiopharm lab I used to work at used some sort of bromine solution to sterilize the floor of the clean room, so it might be that.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel like every couple of weeks I learn a new corporate slang term. A couple of weeks ago, it was "popcorn". More recently, it was "dog food". I wonder what will come next. :geno:

toast n snackbars

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Beggin' strips is when the company gets bought and they make you beg for your job before stripping the assets.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

General Bullshit › Dumb poo poo your work does - doffing a respirator hood and gown when my bunny was covered in spicy dust after unloading a lyo

Mods, will this fit?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

These stories about chemical job fuckery of y'all are scary. :stare: the only job I ever had that required some applied chemistry, was in the lab of a lemonade factory. The scariest compound I used was artificial sweeteners. I got a lot of free samples of various fizzy drinks though.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

These stories about chemical job fuckery of y'all are scary. :stare: the only job I ever had that required some applied chemistry, was in the lab of a lemonade factory. The scariest compound I used was artificial sweeteners. I got a lot of free samples of various fizzy drinks though.

Super-concentrated drink mixes can be dangerous in their own way, with decent amounts of acids. Weak, sure, but concentrated.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Scariest moment in a lab will always be when a phd student decided to clean his glassware covered in milk powders with compressed air outside a fume hood. He was one stray spark or open flame from being blown into itty bitty pieces

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Atopian posted:

Super-concentrated drink mixes can be dangerous in their own way, with decent amounts of acids. Weak, sure, but concentrated.

I did try the raw syrup concentrate once, just to see what it tasted like. I think I got about a year's worth of sugar intake in about 10 seconds. It was indescribably sweet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I sold too much and now Im not supposed to do anything for the next three months.

They have agreed I can host football watching parties during office hours

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

I sold too much and now Im not supposed to do anything for the next three months.

What's the limit to you selling stuff?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

champagne posting posted:

What's the limit to you selling stuff?

Too efficient for this years targets and stock availability

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Barudak posted:

Okay but if the parties are too popular you can‘t host more!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel like every couple of weeks I learn a new corporate slang term. A couple of weeks ago, it was "popcorn". More recently, it was "dog food". I wonder what will come next. :geno:

In German, in certain corporations, there‘s „Aufgleisen“, literally “rerail” and means getting someone up to speed on a topic.

Neco fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 6, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

Too efficient for this years targets and stock availability

Start selling something else. Stuff off of Amazon and just drop ship it.

Alternatively, kick back, annoy your coworkers, read a book at your desk.

Alternatively / alternatively: Sell even more things and when the fact the rest of the company can't keep up just keep selling in response.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Neco posted:

Okay but if the parties are too popular you can‘t host more!

In German, in certain corporations, there‘s „Aufgleisen“, literally “rerail” and means getting someone up to speed on a topic.

I said that once and my boomer model manager could not understand that I was trying to get the meeting back on agenda. He also nit-picks notes for grammar.

I hate him so much.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Nothing like watching a lovely former boss's company start circling the drain due to completely foreseeable circumstances. Lol.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, a customer is tryung to oversign us, the design responsible party, on a part repair approval.

The disposition of the repair literally says STOP, DO NOT PROCEED. SUBMIT FOR REAPPROVAL.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I had some broken and worn parts that were taken off customer equipment. I've been resetting them to get them in a state to test how broken and worn they are. My boss decided to use them in another test that depends on them being not broken or worn.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Salami Surgeon posted:

I had some broken and worn parts that were taken off customer equipment. I've been resetting them to get them in a state to test how broken and worn they are. My boss decided to use them in another test that depends on them being not broken or worn.

Metrology schmetrology

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

I just want to die reading this.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Salami Surgeon posted:

That stuff is going back to a customer site.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol, a customer is tryung to oversign us, the design responsible party, on a part repair approval.

The disposition of the repair literally says STOP, DO NOT PROCEED. SUBMIT FOR REAPPROVAL.

The customer has been cowed. I win again.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Salami Surgeon posted:

A few jobs back we had a customer attempt a repair on a tube with a heat shield, really just a sheet of steel that is cut and formed to match each individual tube and then welded together. So when the customer found out the tube had a crack in it they looked at the maintenance manual that said "replace, send to manufacturer for repair" and they didn't have any of the tubes on hand for the repair. It was decided that because this was an oil tube in the compressor section it couldn't get that hot so they would just weld repair the tube after they cut the heat shield off. As a matter of fact, who needs a heat shield? We have some fireproof material we'll just wrap around the tube!

So that tube burst just about as soon as they got off the ground, engine lost oil pressure because it was the main scupper tube and was suddenly wide open and leaking oil into the engine. The fault reason was pretty clear, but the FAA requires a full analysis and our company requires a review of installation, repair and replacement processes. I ended up designing and running six months of tests and found that we really should have a requirement to torque the bolts to a PSI and then bring them to full torque in turn rather than go full torque when the bolts were first inserted. It is the standard process for like every part on every system, but this part didn't have that so we spent six months proving that provided better overall attachment for a pipe that had never been a problem until someone tried to repair it with a torch and a welder.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

A few jobs back we had a customer attempt a repair on a tube with a heat shield, really just a sheet of steel that is cut and formed to match each individual tube and then welded together. So when the customer found out the tube had a crack in it they looked at the maintenance manual that said "replace, send to manufacturer for repair" and they didn't have any of the tubes on hand for the repair. It was decided that because this was an oil tube in the compressor section it couldn't get that hot so they would just weld repair the tube after they cut the heat shield off. As a matter of fact, who needs a heat shield? We have some fireproof material we'll just wrap around the tube!

So that tube burst just about as soon as they got off the ground, engine lost oil pressure because it was the main scupper tube and was suddenly wide open and leaking oil into the engine. The fault reason was pretty clear, but the FAA requires a full analysis and our company requires a review of installation, repair and replacement processes. I ended up designing and running six months of tests and found that we really should have a requirement to torque the bolts to a PSI and then bring them to full torque in turn rather than go full torque when the bolts were first inserted. It is the standard process for like every part on every system, but this part didn't have that so we spent six months proving that provided better overall attachment for a pipe that had never been a problem until someone tried to repair it with a torch and a welder.

The engines are never the problem, it's always the people, lol.

I had a mechanic scrap an integrally bladed rotor and a variable vane when they didn't flip the vane around to the correct position prior to installation of a split case.

They finished the engine core, did a free rotation check and it didn't move, then many heads were scratched and I declared that our mistake proofing worked as designed.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 6, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

*ring, ring, ring*

"Hi! Barudak? Have you been working much lately?"

"Lol, no."

"Oh, good. We really appreciate what you're not doing. Your numbers look like poo poo. Down 12% y-o-y, keep it down!"

"Should I be working on trainin-"

"Nope."

"Review my numb-"

"Absolutely not! If I see you logging in during work hours, that'll be a write-up."

"So, in summar-"

"Stop. STOP! No summaries, no reviews, no training iterations, and especially no coming into the office, unless you are really bored and/or out of coffee creamer and toilet paper."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should spend a day shadowing every person in the office. Don't ask to do it, just follow them around. Occasionally make audio notes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

You should spend a day shadowing every person in the office. Don't ask to do it, just follow them around. Occasionally make audio notes.

Stand next to the front entrance with a clipboard.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Outrail posted:

Stand next to the front entrance with a clipboard.

get that clipboard and just go exploring, if anyone tries to stop you just ask for their name and role in the org and spend a really long time writing it down before sending them on their way

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

blatman posted:

get that clipboard and just go exploring, if anyone tries to stop you just ask for their name and role in the org and spend a really long time writing it down before sending them on their way

Ask them "And what exactly do you do? How do you add value to the company?"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

blatman posted:

Get management in on the joke.

"Hey, uh, the salesperson must have flipped their lid. Just follows us around with a clipboard all day long, doodling something they've captioned 'dick-butt'."

*icy glare*

"O-oh-kay. Yeah, that's fine. Totally fine. Nevermind. loving sales, am I right?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sit in a stairwell and teach yourself the harmonica.